Spring 10 Wet Bun Challenge!

MissMusic

i've been thinking about doing this as well. i watched one of traycee's blogs and she mentions how we need to give our hair a break from bunning (i sleep in buns). do you also moisturize in the morning? or do you just take out the plait and into a bun?

Yea, I take my bun down at night and put it in a braid for bed to give my hair as well as my hairline a break and then in the morning I wet bun again.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I've been doing my wet buns Monday-Friday and braidouts on the weekends. It's easy to stick to it because I'm so busy and buns are easy to do!

curlycrocheter

I flat ironed for the first time in months and my ends are CHEWED! I think I'm gonna have to pull out of the challenge until I correct a few things. HHG ladies

grow

i've been wet bunning since the end of march and must admit, my hair has never had it so good!

between that and bagging at night, my ends are always soft and moist.

the few times i've let my hair get totally dry to do my dc on dry hair, my ends have remained supple.

my hair has never felt this good!

now, if only i could "see" it! LOL!

i'm 13 weeks post and haven't used heat since nov. of last year.

without my hair being straight and flat, it's hard to tell what my hair shaft looks like.

i recently did a dudley's DCR 28 deep protein treatment, which the ladies rave about.

but how can you tell when your "mostly 24/7" wet hair has gained in protein strength?

i sure don't want any bad surprises when i relax in 3 weeks......

a_shoe_6307

I've been wet bunning & cowashing every 3 days. I've been liking it because with the warm weather and the high pollen count it works. My bun is little, but it works for me running around my office like a maniac all day.

grow

i wanted to wet bun yesterday, but didn't.
i was working from my home and got very involved.
so to counteract an entire day without the wet bun, i dc'ed on dry hair.
this way i HAVE to wash it out today which will put me back on schedule for my cowashing/wet bunning!

drappedup

I've been bunning literally every day, lol. It's pretty convenient because I wear it in a bun anyway everyday to work, being enlisted. It's just now I have it in a bun 24/7, where as before I'd foolishly let it down and damage my hair in various, careless ways as soon as I was off duty. But yeah, I've been keeping it up in my bun 24/7 except for when I wash and stuff.....which is 3-4 times a week. I've been cowashing on Tuesdays and Thursdays, sometimes a Friday OR a Saturday as well depending on the week, and Sunday has been my deep condition wash day. I've basically stuck to that thus far and it seems to be benefiting me. I especially love the way my roots are responding to the constant cowashing. They feel so fluffy and smooth now, where as before they felt so awful and brittle and made me want a relaxer super bad, lol.

Just my little rambling update. >.<

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I wet bun 5-6 days per week. I do take it down when I get home and braid it up. In the morning I'm back in a bun and the cycle begins again.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I wet bun exclusively (subbing my bun out for french braids or big twists in the evening). I grew 2 inches in March and retained every bit of it. My ends look fabulous!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Wow, NJoy, congrats! That's absolutely amazing! :eek:

What are you putting on your hair when you wet bun?

straight from the shower, I moisturize ( I like NTM silk touch leave in), then an oil (CO or WGO), then seal with QP Elasta olive oil/mango butter. Then this may be overkill but I use Hawaiian Silky 14-n-1 to coat it all.

with that, the moisture stays locked in. I bun and baggy the bun. The exposed hair stays moisturized all day too.

I like it!

grow

thanks, LaFemmeNaturelle!

i meant BAGGYING, right!

MCrzyGr, why are you only baggying for an hour a day?

Ciacia

I cowashed overnight with ORS replenishing pack
I wet bun and juice (S-curl) my hair then seal with vatika oil since the beginning of the challenge.
my hair is in a better shape after 5 weeks ;-)

MissMusic

thanks, LaFemmeNaturelle!

i meant BAGGYING, right!

MCrzyGr, why are you only baggying for an hour a day?

Baggying for long periods of time causes my hair damage, but when done for an hour my ends stay happy. I still wet bun for the rest of the day, just without the baggy.

grow

i had temporarily stopped wet bunning because i was thinking i was going to perm.

now, i'm thinking of holding off on the perm (if possible, we'll see), so for now, i'm back to wet bunning again!

MissMusic

Tomorrow makes six weeks on the challenge with only 7 to go!

Keep it up! Remember you hair will love you in the end!!!!!

Last edited:

LaFemmeNaturelle

So I've switched up my bunning method...well my entire regimen altogether. I've cut down my co-washing from 3 times a week to once a week. I keep my hair in 4 braids at all times and i bun those braids and wear a hat or a wig. I spritz my hair everyday with my glycerin, aloe vera juice, and oil mix. Hoping to increase my retention by not manipulating my hair into a bun everyday.

loveisnthehouse

Yesterday was the first time a long time I wasn't in a bun. I graduated from college so I flat ironed and curled my hair. It has grown a lot! It seems as if my ends had a lot of fly aways though :(. More DCing and bunning for me!