Summer 10 Wet Bun Challenge

drappedup

I've been wet bunning regularly as usual. I normally just put my hair into a sock bun so nothing special whatsoever. Lately I have been doing a twisty type of bun sans sock, but that's when I'm having a good hair day. >.<

Hey Wet Bunners,

Let's post some pics because some of us need some wet bun ideas anyway. I've seen posts of some of you in phony ponies, box braids, some may have high buns, low buns, let's see some various buns ladies! :grin: I'll go first, here's the last pic that I took a few days ago...

Here's a pic of the actual pins (although i have the clear ones). Also, here's a pic of one of my buns this week where one of the pins was showing.

This sounds CUTE! :yep: Be sure to post a pic. :yep:

MY GOD!

I love your buns! They're so cute and elegant!

I also use the same pins, but not quite the same effect, lol.

lilsparkle825

I figure it's to help dry the hair as the water will soak up in it and won't be so abrasive as if you just used a regular towel. I use a cotton tee myself.
Absolutely! My hair is much less frizzy when I use a t-shirt or wifebeater as opposed to a towel, even the microfiber ones.
Here's a pic of the actual pins (although i have the clear ones). Also, here's a pic of one of my buns this week where one of the pins was showing.
Oh no, did I miss the pic?? If you don't want to put it back up, please PM me! I already have the pins, I just can't use them without my buns looking dumb.

lilsparkle825

Ok, I promise this is it for the evening....

First, here is a bun thread I started two years ago when I couldn't even MAKE a bun on my newly BC'd head....
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=242345

Second, please don't forget those protein treatments to keep your ends from breaking, ladies! While wet bunning is awesome for retention, it can sometimes strain and stress your ends, especially if you use ponytail holders like me. Tonight I DC'd with Matrix Conditioning Balm and castor oil with a squirt of Megatek rubbed into my ends. They feel a lot stronger now. I will do this once a week and also invest in some Aphogee Green Tea and Keratin reconstructor to add to my spray bottle and use when I remoisten my bun.

Qurlyqt

Qurlyqt, your buns are always so :lick:. Did you just twist and wrap your hair around into a bun, or is it 2 separate sections?

I actually do both. The one I posted next to the Good Day hairpins is actually two seperate twists that I wrapped around in the same direction. HTH

Oh no, did I miss the pic?? If you don't want to put it back up, please PM me! I already have the pins, I just can't use them without my buns looking dumb.

The pics are on page 6

Last edited:

lilsparkle825

As promised, here's a pic of a phony bun I did today. It cost $2 to make. When you open the pack, it comes with a rubber band already around it at the midway point, so I took the little "loop" it made and just hung it around my tightly wrapped real hair. (I had already cowashed and moisturized my hair, then gave it a few sprays of the Aphogee Green Tea.) This gave me a WL fake ponytail that I simply twisted into a bun and secured with a claw clip. My real hair stayed moist all day.

rockstar

I went to the beach and thought my hair would take a beating. Surprisingly it didn't. I didn't even drench my hair in conditioner. The only thing in my hair was the Giovanni Direct Leave-In that I put in the previous night. After the beach I conditioned with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, and my hair felt great!

Qurlyqt

Its really cute! :yep: Thanks for posting pics! :yep::yep:

As promised, here's a pic of a phony bun I did today. It cost $2 to make. When you open the pack, it comes with a rubber band already around it at the midway point, so I took the little "loop" it made and just hung it around my tightly wrapped real hair. (I had already cowashed and moisturized my hair, then gave it a few sprays of the Aphogee Green Tea.) This gave me a WL fake ponytail that I simply twisted into a bun and secured with a claw clip. My real hair stayed moist all day.

Qurlyqt

For those of you who are bunning only 5 days a week, what protective styles are you doing the other two days? I'm getting REALLY bored with bunning :boredwrk: but I'm committed to complete this challenge (Oct 1, since I didn't actually start it until July 1).

OP, I assume braidouts and twistouts would have to account for a pass since they are "out", huh? If so, any other suggestions for a natural? OP, somebody, anybody? :help:

MissMusic

For those of you who are bunning only 5 days a week, what protective styles are you doing the other two days? I'm getting REALLY bored with bunning :boredwrk: but I'm committed to complete this challenge (Oct 1, since I didn't actually start it until July 1).

OP, I assume braidouts and twistouts would have to account for a pass since they are "out", huh? If so, any other suggestions for a natural? OP, somebody, anybody? :help:

You only have to Protective style 5 days out the weeks, the other two are free and clear, so do as you please (braidouts, twistouts, rollersets, etc.). I sometimes do braid outs, but mostly I just keep bunning cause its easy.

KurlyNinja

When I'm not completely lazy, I've been doing "hawks" on the weekends. twist-out hawks, braid-out hawks, flexi-hawks. It changes up the mundane routine of the bun for me, but still keeps my hair up and off my shoulders.

Hey Wet Bunners,

Let's post some pics because some of us need some wet bun ideas anyway. I've seen posts of some of you in phony ponies, box braids, some may have high buns, low buns, let's see some various buns ladies! :grin: I'll go first, here's the last pic that I took a few days ago...

not officially in challenge, but i do love buns:grin:

Attachments

• hair.doublebun.jpg
    hair.doublebun.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 29
  • hair013-vi.jpg
    hair013-vi.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 22
  • hair014-vi.jpg
    hair014-vi.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 28

janda

I'm still wet bunning 7 days a week. It's easy and has helped me stay away from heat. I used to flat iron everyday. I've increased my protein treatments. After co-washing, I spray my hair with Aphogee Keratin ang Green Tea and then apply my moisturizing leave-in. I'm in the Cathy Howse challenge so I DC every 3 days or so. I'm using a protein reconstructor as a base for her "concoction" - either Aveda DR or Aphoghee 2 minute. I follow up with a moisturizing DC. So far so good.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
here's a pic of a damp (not fully wet) bun...this is my signature look these days except that I square dance with bun placement. I put hair in pony with a knee-hi that's saturated in moisturizer (Scurl) or conditioner (HE LTR split end protector) --just whichever I feel like using -- and fan hair around in a circle and place satin scrunchie on to secure. Knee-hi's are really gentle and don't tug, snag or pull at hair and I like that I can saturate them to keep my hair moisturized where the pony is at --

Qurlyqt

Thanks for clarifying OP! I'm definitely going to sport a braidout or something this weekend! :grin:

@your hair is your glory - thick, gorgeous buns. :yep:
@divachyk - I like! :yep:

Last edited:

rockstar

QurlyQt teased us all with her amazingly cute box braids. SOOO, I got some too! I will be wearing them in a wet bun, and I cannot wait for the easiness of this style for the next 10-14 days!

Attachments

• Photo 205.jpg
    Photo 205.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 12

Qurlyqt

QurlyQt teased us all with her amazingly cute box braids. SOOO, I got some too! I will be wearing them in a wet bun, and I cannot wait for the easiness of this style for the next 10-14 days!

Looks good from what I can see. :yep: Work it Rockstar!

CTBhair

I have neglected updating this challenge because shortly after I joined, my camera was stolen out of my car. I am still in this fight. I am wet bunning everyday. I cannot wait to see my results in September. I hope to have replaced my camera by then, but if not, I will borrow one from a friend. I want to do some treatments because I am not as diligent that I have been in the past with my DCs and Henna Treatments.

MissMusic

Ladies!!!! We are getting towards the end of this challenge! If you have fallen off, pick up the wet bunning again for fantastic results in September. If you are still going strong, keep it up because the end is near!

Happy Hair Growing!!!!!!! :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

grow

hey ladies!

i'm still wet bunning regularly and counting down the days until we see how this has worked out!

as an alternative to wet bunning, i also like some updo's with french twists and bangs.

prettykinks

I'm still wet bunning but I haven't been consistent. Most days I have kept my hair in my scarf so it was still protected but no wet bun. Last night I cowashed with Aussie moist with wgo. I towel dried mt twists then added BRX braid spray and grapeseed oil on my scalp. I used a small amount of brx spray on the twists plus cfcg and wgo. I put it in a but and tied it up and went to bed.

lilsparkle825

FINALLY, i found this thread! let me subscribe before i lose it again!!

guys, this wet bunning has worked miracles on my hair. i picked up three inches in the last three months (yep, you read that right) and i'm sure it had something to do with the constant wet bunning. i've been doing this for about 6 weeks now, and i have only taken about 9-10 days off. my personal wet bun challenge was supposed to end today, but as of now i see no end in sight.

rockstar

Hey everyone! I'm still wet bunning. We don't have too much longer until we get to see how much length we retained. Who's excited???

SimplyLeesh

I have neck length hair that is barely touching my shoulder when straight. :wallbash: How can I wet bun short hair and are there other wet protective styles that can be done?

lilsparkle825

I have neck length hair that is barely touching my shoulder when straight. :wallbash: How can I wet bun short hair and are there other wet protective styles that can be done?
if you use a little "help" (read: fake hair) you can do lots of things. there are buns you can make with fake ponytails, phony buns come pre-made and you can attach them over your ponytail/baggy, heck...you can even get a pack of kanekalon and make the one i posted upthread. i just read about one poster who wrapped a weft around her small bun and secured that with a scrunchie. it looked fab!

lots of ideas in this thread from NL-SL ladies:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=422658