Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

Missjae09

Victorian I definitely plan to stay close to this thread, so please keep posting updates!
I haven't noticed any break thus far. I will use a pre-poo treatment or deep conditioner weekly. Jojoba oil (and sometimes sweet almond oil) is a staple. I can definitely say I don't miss the knots and tangles that come with wearing natural brings, I also don't know how my hair will hold up this summer. I sweat in my scalp so I may be forced to go back to natural styles as the weather warms up. Either way I want OPTIONS!

lamaria211

@Missjae09
The no/low heat and protective styles thing is so popular because it really does work for most people. It's what I did after I BC'd and it grew my hair to new lengths, so I'm all for encouraging that route. On the other hand, it isn't the only way to do your hair and be satisfied with it.

In my experience:
Wearing straightened natural hair, especially when you're first starting out, requires constant vigilance. Barring any extreme incidents, it could take several months, even a year, for your hair to start seeming damaged. Your iron may be too high, conditioner not have the right protein/moisture balance, or whatever for long-term success, but you may not recognize this right away--simply because the hair you start with is usually really healthy and hardy if you've been taking good care of it. I think that's an important point a lot of people don't take into consideration.
If your hair starts feeling or behaving differently (isn't hanging right, not responding to your usual products the way it normally does), that might indicate something is up. This is likely long before you actually start seeing splits, breakage, hair that won't revert or other obvious signs of damage.

Even though my frequency has stayed the same (I did try going 2 weeks between washes, but my scalp said "no ma'am!" :lol:), over time I have tweaked other things like temperature of the iron, post-wash products, and probably most importantly, the type of pre-shampoo treatments I do. I used to alternate protein and moisture weekly, but now do light/moderate protein every week. My point isn't to say everyone should be using protein every wash, but that as time goes on you should be prepared to adjust things as needed :yep:
Good luck on your journey!

What types of products do you use if you dont mind me asking from your poo to you conditioners down to your leave ins and or serums? TIA

Victorian

old head
This is my current regimen with my "staples". I also plan to restock on some Organix Coconut Milk shampoo and conditioner this weekend, which are my other favorite staples besides the Skala Ceramides line.

I do try out other products (currently trying a couple KeraCare products and some Fekkai glossing cream) and actually have a respectable "arsenal" of other products built up :lol:, but this is currently the base of my regimen.

Daily
Moisturize with L'Oreal EverStrong Overnight Repair Treatment

Seal with jojoba oil

Hair in various buns, ponytails, or loose styles

Weekly
Pre-treat
Federic Fekkai Protein RX PM Repair Treatment overnight + Hot oil treatment next day with jojoba oil
OR
Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balancer (GPB) applied to dry hair with or without heat 15-20 minutes

Wash - wash + condition in shower
Main shampoos: Skala Ceramide G3, Kim Vo Moisturizing, White Rain Water Blossom (Clarifying)

Main conditioners: Skala Ceramide G3 Mask, Skala Lissative, Organix Brazillian Keratin Therapy Hydrating Mask​
Dry
Remington T-Studio Hot Air Brush used with vent brush attachment

Main blow dry products: Organix Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum, Skala Ceramide G3 leave-in
Straighten - 340-360F in small sections, comb chase as needed
Sedu Pro Ionic Ceramic Tourmaline Flat Iron (1.5" - good for stick straight hair, quickly)

Sedu Revolution Tourmaline Ionic Styling Iron (1" - good for curling, adding volume, or just stick straight)

Sedu Revolution Pro Shortie Mini Styler Iron (For detailed work at the roots, edges, touchups, and for traveling)

Favorite serums: Giovanni Frizz Be Gone before ironing, Kim Vo Perfect Polish Dry Serum after ironing​

mochalocks

I recently took down my second set of locs, and now I'm now interesting in becoming a straight hair natural. . I was wondering has anyone ever used Hollywood beauty's smoothing creme before flat ironing their hair?, or any other brand of smoothing cream?, If so, which one did you use?

how was it?, etc.

I guess I'm nervous as to what products I should start to use now since I want to straighten my hair now.

Last edited:

Beverly Ann Properties

I blow dryed my hair today. It has been a month since I used heat. My natural hair requires too much manipulation. It stays matted and knots start to appear. I am going to keep my hair stretched by blow drying and styled into a braided ponytail. Since I work out outdoors, I will flat iron only on special occassions. A blow dryed bun or pony tail works for me at this time. My hair feels so much better.

coolsista-paris

Beverly Ann Properties said:
I blow dryed my hair today. It has been a month since I used heat. My natural hair requires too much manipulation. It stays matted and knots start to appear. I am going to keep my hair stretched by blow drying and styled into a braided ponytail. Since I work out outdoors, I will flat iron only on special occassions. A blow dryed bun or pony tail works for me at this time. My hair feels so much better.

I used to have trouble too before .balls of hair were all over the house. Retention was impossible .since blow.drying Im loving my hair ! No more huge loss of hair...everything has become more simple and Im seeing Retention better .getting some résults.

Last edited:

Missjae09

Hi ladies! I hope all is well, just thought I'd check in! My nape is very temperamental. It's fine and thinner than the rest of my hair. I have had bad breakage in the past and recently I noticed a little more breakage. When my flat iron press gets puffy, I usually switch to a braidout. Well I just discovered that I've been too rough my my nape and the roughness is what caused the breakage at my nape. I gave myself a hard protein treatment (Aphogee 2 step) and my hair feels so much stronger! My hair gets so dry that I've been a moisturizing fool and it's great for most of the hair on my head; however, my fine strands need more protein so I'm putting myself on a protein schedule.

ScorpioBeauty09

Just chiming in. :wave:

I flat iron my hair roughly every 1.5 to 2 weeks, and my regimen MUST consist of a wash, DC with a good conditioner, final conditioner rinse, and then blow dry and flat iron.

I've been able to achieve just past BSL in a little over two years by straightening my hair and sticking to the same reggie.

First off your hair is gorgeous!:grin: Second your regimen is the same as mine, only I spray some ACV + rosemary, lavender and peppermint oils before I DC. This has been my regimen for almost 1.5 years and I've been able to go from SL to nearly BSL in ~7 months.:yep:

Platinum

Great thread! Subscribing because I'm thinking about straightening my hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

coolsista-paris

Missjae09 said:
Hi ladies! I hope all is well, just thought I'd check in! My nape is very temperamental. It's fine and thinner than the rest of my hair. I have had bad breakage in the past and recently I noticed a little more breakage. When my flat iron press gets puffy, I usually switch to a braidout. Well I just discovered that I've been too rough my my nape and the roughness is what caused the breakage at my nape. I gave myself a hard protein treatment (Aphogee 2 step) and my hair feels so much stronger! My hair gets so dry that I've been a moisturizing fool and it's great for most of the hair on my head; however, my fine strands need more protein so I'm putting myself on a protein schedule.

My last wash was without protein and it was so hard to keep my braids moisturized .the first and last time my hair felt great is when i used hard protein .aphogee 2 step .so Im gonna get back to that on my schedule

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I feel the same way @ the bolded part of your quote!

I have been going back and forth between wearing my natural hair in non-heat styles and the straightened style. I went 6 months without using heat (from September through mid-March) and I noticed I had to manipulate my hair alot to get it the way I want it to look. I would also change hairstyles like I was a :skitzo: from twistouts to buns to two-strand twists, back to twistouts. Twistouts were the only style I really like on my hair and can stick with for a significant amount of time, but I would have to re-twist my hair each night to avoid knots and tangles. I did try the pineapple method a few times but my hair did not come out as neat in the morning when I would do that. No matter what, I would get tangles and knots as well as splits from constant friction of my hair strands.

Now as far as my heat usage, I think I was just using the wrong technique and the wrong products. That's why I stopped back in September. I was getting horrible looking split ends from flat ironing my hair with grease. Even though I liked the super straight results that would last me for weeks from the grease, it would cause splits, breakage, and little to no length retention. So back in February, I got a much needed trim and my hair stopped breaking after getting that trim. I also realized I needed to take some extra steps with straightening my hair to avoid splits.

Here's what I discovered.... Fantasia ic Heat Protector Straightening Serum! I use this now for blowdrying and flatironing. I was using Mane N Tail Conditioner to blowdry at first, but this was not a good idea because my ends would still kink up afterwards. With the serum, they aren't as kinked up. Now for flat-ironing, I discovered I must comb through the ends with a fine tooth comb and smooth the ends with my fingers with more serum in order to avoid split raggedy ends. When I flat iron with the serum, there is no singeing sound and no smell like there was with grease. To my surprise, my hair has not reverted since Sunday night! And it's been hot and humid here, and my hair is still staying straight. I also noticed my hair looks thicker and feels softer with the serum versus the grease.

So now, I am thinking about sticking with a straight hair natural routine for awhile so I can leave my hair alone. I did manage to get a twistout routine down pat, but it was just too much manipulation for my hair.

diadall

I can't believe I just found this thread. I am a natural that wears straight hair more than natural.

Subcribing

Now I am reevaluating my routine. My hair feels great but I have noticed it is taking forever for my bangs and front layers to grow out. I now want a bang free angled bob rather than a shaggy layered bob. The back and crown grows like a weed but I have found the front needs extra care to gain length. Also my texture is starting to loose more curl than I would like. I tried to do a twist and curl recently and it was awful. I love the bob look and that is why I straighten anyway but I also like to wear curly looks on occasion. I love knowing I can go back and forth.

I was doing my hair twice a week which seemed ideal because my hair and scalp gets super oily. I was always told black women can shampoo less but infrequently never works for me. I get greasy all over, with itchy scalp and dry rough hair, if I go too long - and I don't like the smell. Plus, I am controlling acne so I have to be especially mindful of excess oil around my face. Not sure why my scalp is so oily but I know I have fine hair so it gets weighed down quickly but can also be super flyaway.

I am going to switch to styling every 5-7 days to save time, do more intensive conditioning, and to put less stress on my hair. I want to start rotating more curly styles into the routine for variety and to give it a break from heat at times, especially during the Summer. I am doing a hot oil treatment with coconut oil as a pre shampoo treatment and a deep moisturizing conditioner after every shampoo. I actually feel that doing the hot oil treatments is balancing out my scalp so that it doesn't get oily as quick. I also think it actually helps my scalp and hair to get cleaner since oil is great at removing oil. In effect I think it deep cleanses as well as softens and protects my hair prior to shampooing. I was using a clarifying shampoo because of how greasy I was getting but I am liking the combo of the hot oil followed by a balancing shampoo, currently Trader Joe's Nourish Spa, much better. My hair loves protein, especially keratin and silk. I am not sure if I should adjust how often it gets products with keratin and what products it should be. I am currently using Chi Keratin Mist but am wondering if I should do a more intense Keratin treatment every four - six weeks and use a different liquid leave-in. Silk protein is fine for me in any product. Products I know I am keeping are the Chi Silk Infusion serum ( this has replaced Sabino for me, much better feel on the hair and still relatively reversion free ) and Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner for deep conditioning. I use Aveda Control Paste to tame the edges. I need something though to keep my flyaways in check and hold my style. Maybe I can mix setting lotion with the liquid leave-in? I thought about a styling pomade after seeing a few tutorials on shaping a bob but am afraid I will get too much build-up. I have tried the Control Paste for that but need to experiment more since it wasn't the ideal result.

I am sticking with pin curls at night to maintain my style but am experimenting with loosely wrapping just the perimeter and pin curling the rest. I love pin curls more than a full wrap because I get more body and flip but it was coming out way too tight. I am sure it will get better once my shorter layers grow out so the hair can flow more loosely. Plus I am desperately in need of a real hair cut to get some shape back.

Sorry for the long post. I had not updated the changes to my routine and am also looking for any input and hope somebody finds it helpful.

Last edited:

PinkPebbles

I have been going back and forth between wearing my natural hair in non-heat styles and the straightened style. I went 6 months without using heat (from September through mid-March) and I noticed I had to manipulate my hair alot to get it the way I want it to look. I would also change hairstyles like I was a :skitzo: from twistouts to buns to two-strand twists, back to twistouts. Twistouts were the only style I really like on my hair and can stick with for a significant amount of time, but I would have to re-twist my hair each night to avoid knots and tangles. I did try the pineapple method a few times but my hair did not come out as neat in the morning when I would do that. No matter what, I would get tangles and knots as well as splits from constant friction of my hair strands.

Now as far as my heat usage, I think I was just using the wrong technique and the wrong products. That's why I stopped back in September. I was getting horrible looking split ends from flat ironing my hair with grease. Even though I liked the super straight results that would last me for weeks from the grease, it would cause splits, breakage, and little to no length retention. So back in February, I got a much needed trim and my hair stopped breaking after getting that trim. I also realized I needed to take some extra steps with straightening my hair to avoid splits.

Here's what I discovered.... Fantasia ic Heat Protector Straightening Serum! I use this now for blowdrying and flatironing. I was using Mane N Tail Conditioner to blowdry at first, but this was not a good idea because my ends would still kink up afterwards. With the serum, they aren't as kinked up. Now for flat-ironing, I discovered I must comb through the ends with a fine tooth comb and smooth the ends with my fingers with more serum in order to avoid split raggedy ends. When I flat iron with the serum, there is no singeing sound and no smell like there was with grease. To my surprise, my hair has not reverted since Sunday night! And it's been hot and humid here, and my hair is still staying straight. I also noticed my hair looks thicker and feels softer with the serum versus the grease.

So now, I am thinking about sticking with a straight hair natural routine for awhile so I can leave my hair alone. I did manage to get a twistout routine down pat, but it was just too much manipulation for my hair.

Poohbear your hair is so beautiful!!! I want to go natural so bad...but my hair is 4b fine and prone to knots and easily get matted. I'm stretching my relaxer to 6 months b/c I truly want to give it a try.

Our textures may be different but you mentioned that you struggle with knots as well. So I will apply your tips to when I'm stretching. I like to keep my hair straight b/c I like straight hair on me or a curly rollerset.

Your hair pictures are truly inspirational!!! You did an excellent job!!! Thank you for sharing!

Also, do you use a steamer? If yes, what has been your experience?

Poohbear

Poohbear your hair is so beautiful!!! I want to go natural so bad...but my hair is 4b fine and prone to knots and easily get matted. I'm stretching my relaxer to 6 months b/c I truly want to give it a try.

Our textures may be different but you mentioned that you struggle with knots as well. So I will apply your tips to when I'm stretching. I like to keep my hair straight b/c I like straight hair on me or a curly rollerset.

Your hair pictures are truly inspirational!!! You did an excellent job!!! Thank you for sharing!

Also, do you use a steamer? If yes, what has been your experience?

PinkPebbles, thank you for your comment! I haven't seen you around, where ya been?

But anyway, no I don't use a steamer. I've seen some threads about it but never got into trying it.

My hair easily get matted too, especially when wet. I really think keeping my ends nice and smooth will prevent single strand knots and it seems like the best way to keep my ends knot free is by straightening my hair.

I just hope I can finally reach my hair goals of MBL and WL within the next two years.

PinkPebbles

@PinkPebbles, thank you for your comment! I haven't seen you around, where ya been?

But anyway, no I don't use a steamer. I've seen some threads about it but never got into trying it.

My hair easily get matted too, especially when wet. I really think keeping my ends nice and smooth will prevent single strand knots and it seems like the best way to keep my ends knot free is by straightening my hair.

I just hope I can finally reach my hair goals of MBL and WL within the next two years.

I'm not on the forum as much...but check in occasionally!

Thanks for the tips! And you will reach MBL & WL....keep up the good work!

Sunshine_One

@Poohbear you hair looks BEAUTIFUL!

I've been roller setting and lightly blowing out the roots and it's been working well. Amost no ssk's and great retention. My hair has been SO easy all winter. :grin:

Today, however has been another story. It's very humid in DC and I got a BIG reminder about how sensitive my hair is to moisuture in the air. :nono: I just got my hair set and lightly blown out @ the salon last night. My beautiful drop pin curls starting puffing up before I got home.:ohwell:

Last edited:

andg245

After several years of wear my hair texture straightened 90-95% of the time I think I'm going to take a break.

First it was the shedding, me bsl hair began breaking off profusely. I suspected it was due to damage especially since half of my length would remain straight after washing so I finally did a big chop and took it up to basically ear length.

But still after 2 presses, I'm getting straight ends again (one whole patch in the back of head is almost completely straight, even after washing). I can't stand it.

RENIBELL

Your hair looks so lush and Healthy Poohbear,
you will definately meet your goals soon:yep:

coolsista-paris

Poohbear: ive also just purchased some fantasia ic heat serum.i am so scared of flat ironning cause of heat dammage people talk about..but hearing you Im more confident.

What steps do you do to avoid dammage/breakage and those ugly scraggly ends?

Missjae09

ScorpioBeauty09 honey you are my new hero! are you kidding.. from SL to BSL in 7 months!! that's serious. Question what was going on with your hair for the other 10 months? were you transitioning, and if you don't mind my asking, what's your hair type? (I understand if you don't know or what to answer the type question)
First off your hair is gorgeous!:grin: Second your regimen is the same as mine, only I spray some ACV + rosemary, lavender and peppermint oils before I DC. This has been my regimen for almost 1.5 years and I've been able to go from SL to nearly BSL in ~7 months.:yep:

ScorpioBeauty09

@ScorpioBeauty09 honey you are my new hero! are you kidding.. from SL to BSL in 7 months!! that's serious. Question what was going on with your hair for the other 10 months? were you transitioning, and if you don't mind my asking, what's your hair type? (I understand if you don't know or what to answer the type question)

@Missjae09, LOL. Well I'm still have about an inch left to BSL but thanks. I'm happy to share my story. In a word: Hairfinity is what helped me.:yep: A number of ladies here have used/are using it. If you're curious, check out HF's Facebook page and on YouTube there's a lot of video reviews. I started taking it in August 2011 after I lost an entire year's growth after getting my braided for vacation when my braider trimmed my braids not realizing how long my hair was.:censored: When I started Hairfinity my hair was SL and thanks to it my growth rate increased to an inch a month and my regimen allows me to retain my growth.

Before my setback it took me an entire year to go from SL to just past APL because I was learning what my hair needed for retention. So that's what was going on with my hair before the 7 months. I've been natural my entire life. Hope this isn't too confusing. Feel free to ask more questions.

ETA: My hair type is mostly 4a but is 4b in some areas.

Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

@Missjae09, LOL. Well I'm still have about an inch left to BSL but thanks. I'm happy to share my story. In a word: Hairfinity is what helped me.:yep: A number of ladies here have used/are using it. If you're curious, check out HF's Facebook page and on YouTube there's a lot of video reviews. I started taking it in August 2011 after I lost an entire year's growth after getting my braided for vacation when my braider trimmed my braids not realizing how long my hair was.:censored: When I started Hairfinity my hair was SL and thanks to it my growth rate increased to an inch a month and my regimen allows me to retain my growth.

Before my setback it took me an entire year to go from SL to just past APL because I was learning what my hair needed for retention. So that's what was going on with my hair before the 7 months. I've been natural my entire life. Hope this isn't too confusing. Feel free to ask more questions.

ETA: My hair type is mostly 4a but is 4b in some areas.

Does hairfinity have any side effects like biotin?

ScorpioBeauty09

Does hairfinity have any side effects like biotin?
HF is a combination of Biotin, MSM and other B vitamins. Many people have concerns about the Biotin, because of it's high dosage. High amounts of Biotin can result in increased acne but I haven't experienced it. Biotin also increases nail growth but my nails already grow relatively quickly so I haven't seen any changes.

Poohbear

Poohbear: ive also just purchased some fantasia ic heat serum.i am so scared of flat ironning cause of heat dammage people talk about..but hearing you Im more confident.

What steps do you do to avoid damage/breakage and those ugly scraggly ends?
coolsista-paris,

To avoid damage I blowdry my hair in smaller sections and more gently. When I flat iron my hair, I make sure to take each small section, comb through the ends with a fine tooth comb, smooth with my fingers, and then flat iron that small section. Also, using only one product for blowdrying and flatironing which is the Fantasia ic Heat Protector Straightening Serum.