Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

CaliiSwagg

Yay! I straightened my hair for the first time as a natural (18 months post relaxer/ 6 months post BC) and it turned out great! :yay: I gave myself a much needed trim as well. I have fallin in love with my hair all over again. :love: It's so soft and silky... love it!

Last edited:

gforceroy

Can anyone recommend a product that I can use while my hair is straight that will work like a gel (putty or something maybe) but that is not water based so it will lay my hair down with out causing reversion? Planning in advance for buns and whatnot....

rinahbaby

I use Paul Mitchell Esp or Schwarzkopf flex wax. They both are strong holding "paste' like products that I use on my edges and to smooth my ponytails in place. I think they do have a very minimal amount of water in the ingrediants, but they have never ever reverted my hair.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Because of this thread I decided to go on out and get a flatiron and see what's cookin with my fro. First time straightened in 5ish years!

I used Mixed Chicks straightening serum and nothing else after wash and dc. My hair just fell straight at 200oF. I was getting worried that it wouldn't revert! Finally did after day 5 (yesterday).

It was a good thing I starightened! My ends were shot. Couldn't tell that in a fro. Chopped off about 2". Probably. Need more but still need some hair to grab for twists and whatnot. Will take off more next month.

Back at nl but pleased because the ng looks a lot healthier than I've egver had it.

Will keep it straight too. Wonder how much the ssks from puffs twist outs and wngs had to do with those chewed ends...? I would see them everywhere and just dust but it wasn't enough I guess

Kn0ttyByNatur3

@Kn0ttyByNatur3 Aw.... What happened? :(

@gforceroy It was just a pure, hot mess for me! I tried finger combing my whole head for the first time. And I ended up having to deal with way more tangles and hair loss than I did with any ole combing method. I was so frustrated at that moment in time. I said never again on finger combing.:nono::nono::nono::sad::sad::sad::sad:

At that moment I wish I took a flat iron to my hair, make it straight and call it a week, two or three.

CaliiSwagg

DarkJoy said:
Because of this thread I decided to go on out and get a flatiron and see what's cookin with my fro. First time straightened in 5ish years!

I used Mixed Chicks straightening serum and nothing else after wash and dc. My hair just fell straight at 200oF. I was getting worried that it wouldn't revert! Finally did after day 5 (yesterday).

It was a good thing I starightened! My ends were shot. Couldn't tell that in a fro. Chopped off about 2". Probably. Need more but still need some hair to grab for twists and whatnot. Will take off more next month.

Back at nl but pleased because the ng looks a lot healthier than I've egver had it.

Will keep it straight too. Wonder how much the ssks from puffs twist outs and wngs had to do with those chewed ends...? I would see them everywhere and just dust but it wasn't enough I guess

did you like the serum? I have been wanting to trying it but I want to see how others fared with it first.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Imma start this process in July, I am a tranny at the moment and I am not willing to cut my hair so hopefully this will help me loosen up this curls (esp. the crown area). I wont be going over the length just the NG that I have.

BlkMane

I salute you ladies that can deal with heat straightening ur natural hair on a regular basis. So much work! At least for me, I have a lot of hair and it just takes a long time and in the summer there is no point as my hair usually would get puffy or frizz up overnight. For me this would be a winter-only option.

When I was last fully natural and wanted straight hair, I would have my hairdresser do it. She would wash and blow dry my hair then flat iron it. It would look silky and straight just as if I had a relaxer.

May I ask, for those who have mastered straightening their natural hair, what products do you recommend to control frizz and keep the hair smooth?

Kindheart

I m a firm believer that if you straighten every week ,no matter how much DC and treatments you get ,your hair eventually will lose a bit of its curl so you ll be forced to straighten it all the time as otherwise won't look good .
My hair is in the 3 range and i suffered from heat damage when i was straightening my hair twice a week as it wouldn't stay straight due to high levels of humodity in the air ,had to cut off a good chunck of my hair in order to make it look good curly ,i had 4 inches random straight ends that didn't match my curly/wavy hair .
Oh and DO Not use Carols daughter hair balm as a heat protectant ..i think it contributed to fry my hair.

I m a firm believer that if you straighten every week ,no matter how much DC and treatments you get ,your hair eventually will lose a bit of its curl so you ll be forced to straighten it all the time as otherwise won't look good .
My hair is in the 3 range and i suffered from heat damage when i was straightening my hair twice a week as it wouldn't stay straight due to high levels of humodity in the air ,had to cut off a good chunck of my hair in order to make it look good curly ,i had 4 inches random straight ends that didn't match my curly/wavy hair .
Oh and DO Not use Carols daughter hair balm as a heat protectant ..i think it contributed to fry my hair.

Word. I was a huge believer that if you really conditioned and protected your hair, heat is not an issue. I was wrong. It took over a few years for me to see that my hair was gradually loosing its curl. My hair continued to look great to others but I knew it was damaged when I tried to rock curly styles. I am going back to doing wet sets to style and want to invest in a hooded dryer. I was trying to do wash and go's again but because of the drastic difference in textures it's not working. I feel like I'm transitioning again, haha. Setback, yes, but I refuse to get discouraged. I enjoy experimenting with my hair even when I get frustrated from time to time. I'm still learning.

Last edited:

I agree. I straighten my hair often but almost always give it at least a week off of rest & recovery from straightening where I'll wear it curly using minimal product and taking extra care to moisturize it with lots of conditioner and definitely do a PT treatment.

do any of y'all who straighten ever wear your curly? if so how do y'all keep your curls all week? if it's straight you can just wrap it or throw it up in a ponytail/bun at night.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I hear you ladies. Tho someone like me who is a 4b/c being a little heat trained probably isn't a bad idea. At least for my hair. Otherwise, it just snaps and breaks with any manipulation to my curls wet or dry (dry is less damaging). It really kinda sucks. Not all 4s agree with this, for sure. But with this crazy fine fragile hair, idk what else to try!

I think much of the overdamage is gradual too and hard to see til its too late. Keepin a close eye on this mess.

I do wear my lightly straightened hair curly. Low heat & just enough so the ends don't curl around each other and snap while twisting or braiding for the 'out' style. Looks fuller this way too. I retwist every other night with curl enhancing smoothie and flax seed gel. It starts to revert around the 4th day.

I think I finally realized what went wrong with my heat styling. I was doing it for a few years with no problem switching from curly to straight with minimal damage. My hair retained length very well and had no issues with elasticity. In the last year I stopped using Sabino, which is the heat protectant I started with, and protein treatments. I've been using Chi Silk Infusion and Keratin Mist, which both make my hair feel soft and moisturized, but I suspect are not enough heat protection and strenghtening. I made these changes in the last year and today I realized that is when my hair started to decline in health. I'm not going to totally give up on wearing it straight but want to grow out the heat damage. I'm already on my way since I cut to a pixie. In the meantime I am going to cut down on manipulation for awhile. When I do decide to straighten I will use Sabino and get on a good protein regimen again.

BlaqBella

As far as working out, as a heat straightened natural,you will likely need to set a strict regimen to get the best of both. I had to (since i'm inconsistent with working out) set my workout days at the end of the week, since I normally flat-iron on Saturdays, so Sun.-Wed.-ish I would wear hair straight and try to work out Thurs. a.m., mow the grass or something Sat., etc. all with dc in hair or co-washing daily. Sometimes I just could not work out, so that may be a problem for the poster who asked about reversion during workouts.

When it comes to humidity (live in a fairly humid area) and reversion, sometimes it cannot be avoided, i'm learning to adjust to checking the temps., etc beforehand. But when the humidity levels are not really high I have success with my tried & trues--paul mitchell super skinny and kenra silkening gloss-- however, I am one of those who has to use a creamy leave-in for more moisture, protection, and weight (somewhat fly away type hair). When the humidity is low if I travel to work with my hair in a somewhat taut
ponytail it does not revert. I do (tacky i guess-oh well) wear my silk scarf around my edges until I get there. My hair is almost always as straight as I get it on Sat. or Sun.

In my experience with heat I, of course, had lots of trial and error moments. But when I was relaxed/transitioning my new growth was tight and DRY. I was definitely determined to learn my hair once I realized my natural hair was becoming softer at the root than the ends were. So flash forward I spent 2+ years experimenting with my own head alone. Straightening pratically EVERY week, once a week. Of course dc-ing (or co-wash routine) once a week. I cut about 3-6 inches in Jan. and I am now getting, if not definitely close to, an inch a month now. I still flat-iron weekly until recently (last almost 3 weeks) wearing a puff. I would always take a res tfrom flat-ironing every once in awhile but i've now noticed my hair is much more moisturized and accepts moisture better. But I knew as a teenager my hair responded well to heat. My hair is now a lot less fly away/thin and is noticeably (sp?) thicker, and healthier.I was collar bone before and I am almost right back where I started in less than 6 months. But I was raised with pressed hair till 13, so I guess I had things to fall back on and did some good guess work--def. thanks to LHCF.

Of course its not for everyone.

ETA: I should say that I cut out of personal life frustrations-i was stressed- in Jan. Also, I use a few products that protect my strands from heat. I still have lots of coils in my hair (really all of them) but my crown is more of a 3c(just used to not seem to be because of dry/frizziness). I recently started isolating the band area, the side burn area-wearing tendrils-, and wearing a puff that I stretch by banding. When I realease the bands I have a soft, shiny, moisturized, coily puff. So for me stretching my hair (using multi methods) and opening my cuticles(heat, steam, etc) allowed my hair to better accept moisture and nourishment. Sorry for the novel..

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Imma have my first session this upcoming weekend. Will be prepping my hair all week.

At the moment I am doing a prepoo of EVCO and will sleep on this until I CW it out in the morning.

Towards the end of the week I will be doing a DC and another prepoo/ HOT.

I will start low on my fine hair. Not sure what heat protectant I will use just yet.
340 degress with 2-3 passes to the NG and 1 to the ends since I still have some relaxed ends.

Will update you ladies later.

Last edited:
Imma have my first session this upcoming weekend. Will be prepping my hair all week.

At the moment I am doing a prepoo of EVCO and will sleep on this until I CW it out in the morning.

Towards the end of the week I will be doing a DC and another prepoo/ HOT.

I will start low on my fine hair. Not sure what heat protectant I will use just yet.
340 degress with 2-3 passes to the NG and 1 to the ends since I still have some relaxed ends.

Will update you ladies later.

I have really fine (but THICK) hair so I find that if I just have to do really thin slices and I can almost always get my hair bone straight (I think finer hair straightens more easily) with one full length pass (someitmes 2) on only 300 degrees. [I have the FHI platform flatiron btw] so I would suggest starting with a lower temp. and one pass esp since you still have relaxed ends.
unless you're not blow drying it first. then you'd probably need a higher temp and more passes

NEED RECOMMENDATIONS
what are all you ladies using for a protein treatment? I've been using Aphogee 2 minute but just ran out and don't want to repurchase because it had mineral oil in (cones are fine but my hair hates mineral oil) I loved the fact that I could use it every week and it took less than 5 minutes since I do them every week (wash day) to strengthen my hair and prevent heat damage. is there anything comparable? that is still relatively cheap and I can get on the ground?

also. straightened my hair last week and finally was able to master curling my hair with my flat iron (yay!) I didn't take a final pic (idk I guess I was just tired and forgot?) but here's what they looked like as I did them (check the super excited face) && please bear with me this is the first time I've uploaded a photo -- I attached it

Attachments

• IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    499.5 KB · Views: 135

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I have really fine (but THICK) hair so I find that if I just have to do really thin slices and I can almost always get my hair bone straight (I think finer hair straightens more easily) with one full length pass (someitmes 2) on only 300 degrees. [I have the FHI platform flatiron btw] so I would suggest starting with a lower temp. and one pass esp since you still have relaxed ends.
unless you're not blow drying it first. then you'd probably need a higher temp and more passes

LovelyBwonderful, thanks for the response. I will do really small sections. I tried 300 once and my hair reverted (thats when I wore my U-Part wig). When I went to the salon she used 340 w/ a Babyliss which is what I also have. But to be honest imma try the whole head with the 300 just to see again and I will go from there.... I doubt if I will be blowdrying before but like I said we will see LOL.

Since you too have fine hair what are you using as a heat protectant that doesnt weigh your hair down?

NEED RECOMMENDATIONS
what are all you ladies using for a protein treatment? I've been using Aphogee 2 minute but just ran out and don't want to repurchase because it had mineral oil in (cones are fine but my hair hates mineral oil) I loved the fact that I could use it every week and it took less than 5 minutes since I do them every week (wash day) to strengthen my hair and prevent heat damage. is there anything comparable? that is still relatively cheap and I can get on the ground?

also. straightened my hair last week and finally was able to master curling my hair with my flat iron (yay!) I didn't take a final pic (idk I guess I was just tired and forgot?) but here's what they looked like as I did them (check the super excited face) && please bear with me this is the first time I've uploaded a photo -- I attached it

I use Nexxus Emergencee, I like it and the bottle lasts sooooo long plus you can you it weekly also like Aphogee 2 Min and its a mild/moderate. Joico K-Pak also have mineral oil so dont try that.

@LovelyBwonderful, thanks for the response. I will do really small sections. I tried 300 once and my hair reverted (thats when I wore my U-Part wig). When I went to the salon she used 340 w/ a Babyliss which is what I also have. But to be honest imma try the whole head with the 300 just to see again and I will go from there.... I doubt if I will be blowdrying before but like I said we will see LOL.

Since you too have fine hair what are you using as a heat protectant that doesnt weigh your hair down?

I use Nexxus Emergencee, I like it and the bottle lasts sooooo long plus you can you it weekly also like Aphogee 2 Min and its a mild/moderate. Joico K-Pak also have mineral oil so dont try that.

I will definitely have to try the nexxus then, thanks for the suggestion. I'm glad you say it lasts long because the bottle looks so small and my hair usually soaks up product

and I have tried so many heat protectants it's not even funny. My favorites that I am using right now: [sidenote: I apply everything to my hair in sections, generally 3 in the front and 4 in the back and then comb through]
first apply KCKT leave in to freshly washed hair -- it's light but still moisturizing enough and makes detangling a breeze
layer grapeseed oil over my leave in -- seals in the moisture and does double duty as a heat protectant (makes hair super soft and shiny too) I bought a big bottle NOW brand from GNC ~$10 and it lasts FOREVER because it only takes a few drops each section
mist of nexxus salon hair care heat protexx spray mixed with a little Chi Silk Infusium (I just poured some of the Chi in the nexxus bottle) before blow drying. I like to apply all my heat protectants before I blow dry so they have time to absorb and I find my hair is less greasy weighed down than if I apply before flat ironing.
finally: mostly because I LOVE the smell and ingredients, and as a last line of defense, I apply this new product I found at walgreens this summer: Nubian Heritage Heat Protect Keratin Leave in Conditioning Cream it comes in a jar and is creamy, I generally apply a fingerful to each section combing through and then flat iron, after which my hair smells like this product (no burnt hair smell for me!)

I know it sounds like a lot of products but it's not. KCKT is really light. then a few drops of the oil before misting with the spray and blowdrying. lastly a little bit of the cream for extra protection and great smell before flat ironing.

sorry for such a long post ^^'

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I will definitely have to try the nexxus then, thanks for the suggestion. I'm glad you say it lasts long because the bottle looks so small and my hair usually soaks up product

and I have tried so many heat protectants it's not even funny. My favorites that I am using right now: [sidenote: I apply everything to my hair in sections, generally 3 in the front and 4 in the back and then comb through]
first apply KCKT leave in to freshly washed hair -- it's light but still moisturizing enough and makes detangling a breeze
layer grapeseed oil over my leave in -- seals in the moisture and does double duty as a heat protectant (makes hair super soft and shiny too) I bought a big bottle NOW brand from GNC ~$10 and it lasts FOREVER because it only takes a few drops each section
mist of nexxus salon hair care heat protexx spray mixed with a little Chi Silk Infusium (I just poured some of the Chi in the nexxus bottle) before blow drying. I like to apply all my heat protectants before I blow dry so they have time to absorb and I find my hair is less greasy weighed down than if I apply before flat ironing.
finally: mostly because I LOVE the smell and ingredients, and as a last line of defense, I apply this new product I found at walgreens this summer: Nubian Heritage Heat Protect Keratin Leave in Conditioning Cream it comes in a jar and is creamy, I generally apply a fingerful to each section combing through and then flat iron, after which my hair smells like this product (no burnt hair smell for me!)

I know it sounds like a lot of products but it's not. KCKT is really light. then a few drops of the oil before misting with the spray and blowdrying. lastly a little bit of the cream for extra protection and great smell before flat ironing.

sorry for such a long post ^^'

LovelyBwonderful
The bottle is small but its a thick substance so it has easy spread. I will say that you can get 5 uses out of the bottle, its all depends on the length of your hair and how thick you put it on.

Never knew GSO was a heat protectant. I am glad you said that because I use it daily to seal my hair with plus I scented it Coconut so it smells soooooo good. I will defiantly try that this weekend. So basically I wont have to go out and buy a bottle of it I also use the NOW brand.

Imma start off with the ApHogee ProVitamin LI, a dab on each section of the the GSO on each section and the Chi Silk Infusion. I like the double protection so hopefully it wont be too much.

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Has anyone flat ironed or pressed with castor oil?

I was researching and its boiling point is a whopping 565oF! It would probably make a fantastic natural heat protectant.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
tapioca_pudding said:
DarkJoy that's hot!! Lol but it seems like it would be heavy..? Even if you use a dab.. but ya never know.. :scratchch:

Yes tapioca_pudding its daym hot! And that's just the boiling point not the smoke/burn point. Wow. Castor is also used for lubricating heavy machinery for this reason

I think ill try it since its wash day and report back.

My hair is fine and even tho castor is heavy thats great with me. Fine hair = way too fly away. Without heaviness a style wouldn't last me past a light breeze!

major straightening session yesterday.
washed (sorry no pic of the curls, I'll try to take one next time)
blow-dried ! Lord have mercy I was hurting at the end of this. tried a new technique that I think was healthier for my hair and got it a little straighter (if not any less voluminous) but took FOREVER.
straightened!
&& of course wrapped up tight for the night. I'll be curling it later today and using some major hairspray and praying that they hold for the next 2 days haha

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 185
I already posted this in the straight-haired naturals section but felt like I had to include y'all too haha
washed (sorry no pic of the curls, I'll try to take one next time)
blow-dried ! Lord have mercy I was hurting at the end of this. tried a new technique that I think was healthier for my hair and got it a little straighter (if not any less voluminous) but took FOREVER.
straightened!
&& of course wrapped up tight for the night. I'll be curling it later today and using some major hairspray (didn't have any and never use it so I just bought a cheap can of Suave Professionals extra firm hold hairspray from wal-mart, although I heard good things about it and the cashier said it worked amazing) and praying that they hold for the next 2 days haha

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 115