Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

Channy31

MixedGirl
jprayze
naturallygoldie

i thought we blacks had to moisturize every day or so.
i have already tried using just oil but i dont feel like its moisturized.

do you think im not moisturizing enough . i use apoghee 2 min on damp hair every 2 weeks. leave it overnight or 3 hours. rinse ,co wash( or shampoo once in à while). towel dry+ic fantatia heat serum+blow dry/rollerset.
when i use heat i do the same thing.

ive ordred giovanni leave in hoping it will give more moisture.

when straighten my hair it ends uo breaking as if its dry. so i dont know what to do. really this is hard.

my fine hair loves protein. but i need to know what to do to make it very moisturized before straightening.

I like to moisturise my hair often, not everyday though. I exercise a lot though so moisturise then. I also dont find that 'wet' moisturisers make my hair frizzy. When using the LOC method I use water as a base and I get no reverting or Frizz. I used to get a load of frizz in the past, but uping my moisture levels has helped this a lot.

jprayze

MixedGirl
jprayze
naturallygoldie

i thought we blacks had to moisturize every day or so.
i have already tried using just oil but i dont feel like its moisturized.

do you think im not moisturizing enough . i use apoghee 2 min on damp hair every 2 weeks. leave it overnight or 3 hours. rinse ,co wash( or shampoo once in à while). towel dry+ic fantatia heat serum+blow dry/rollerset.
when i use heat i do the same thing.

ive ordred giovanni leave in hoping it will give more moisture.

when straighten my hair it ends uo breaking as if its dry. so i dont know what to do. really this is hard.

my fine hair loves protein. but i need to know what to do to make it very moisturized before straightening.

Do you do a moisture DC in addition to the Aphoghee?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i want to mostly wear my hair straight but i never know what to moisturize with while its straight. i always end up using spray like s curl... then it puffs meaning i straightened for nothing...... :-(

can i use à leave in like giovanni ? oil is not à moisturizer and i see many just put oil between washes. im lost here.

i wash every 2 weeks. i dont know how to maintain my straightened hair. i have fine hair

i read thé entire thread (took 3 days but i did it)lol

i don't like putting in anything at all after i straighten. at most i would put a tiny amount of serum or moisturizer at the ends. you hair doesn't need to feel wet to be moisturized.

curly hair is a different story:look::lol:

coolsista-paris

i don't like putting in anything at all after i straighten. at most i would put a tiny amount of serum or moisturizer at the ends. you hair doesn't need to feel wet to be moisturized.

curly hair is a different story:look::lol:

oh! im learning something .lol i thought hair had to feel wet to be moisturized.

right. so can i use à normal leave in? only on the ends then?
maybe i should alternate oil à day,leave in another.

i prefer my hair straight but this whole moisturizing thing is complicated

Wenbev

i want to mostly wear my hair straight but i never know what to moisturize with while its straight. i always end up using spray like s curl... then it puffs meaning i straightened for nothing...... :-(

can i use à leave in like giovanni ? oil is not à moisturizer and i see many just put oil between washes. im lost here.

i wash every 2 weeks. i dont know how to maintain my straightened hair. i have fine hair

i read thé entire thread (took 3 days but i did it)lol

I also have fine strands but a lot of density. In the past, I either put too much or not enough stuff. Now I use hot six oil maybe four days after I get my hair pressed and then every other night before I wrap with a scarf. So far this routine is working very well for me.

coolsista-paris

I also have fine strands but a lot of density. In the past, I either put too much or not enough stuff. Now I use hot six oil maybe four days after I get my hair pressed and then every other night before I wrap with a scarf. So far this routine is working very well for me.

I hear many poeple talk about this hot six oil. Is it just a mixture of oils?

So thats enough for you? Do you wash your hair every week?

As i wash every 10 -15 days i need to plan this out well

coolsista-paris

Do you do a moisture DC in addition to the Aphoghee?

no i dont. Usually may hair comes out nice, not dry at all. I thought as it is a reconstructor it has 50 protein and 50 moisture.

Do you think im wrong? :ohwell:

im trying to manupulate as less possible. As i add the apoghee 2 min ,then braid, i dont want to rebraid, add another dc to braid again, then rebraid to blow dry.:spinning: that would be LOTS.

If i can dc in braids...then why not, but im not sure the dc will work then. (maybe with a dryer?)

i wash every 10-15 days.with apoghee 2 min as dc

Wenbev

I hear many poeple talk about this hot six oil. Is it just a mixture of oils?

So thats enough for you? Do you wash your hair every week?

As i wash every 10 -15 days i need to plan this out well

I love hot 6! It is a mixture of oils and it qualifies as having ceramides per the ceramides challenge board. There's olive oil, canola, wheat germ, almond, safflower, castor, etc. and it's cheaper than buying all those oils separately. There's along lots of herbs that are good for the hair as well like sage, henna, alfalfa, etc.
I have been using it religiously since October of last year. I press every 2 weeks and I go to the gym. Sometimes to the end of the second week I'll flexirod set with a little of that oil on the ends as well.

-Wendy

coolsista-paris

I love hot 6! It is a mixture of oils and it qualifies as having ceramides per the ceramides challenge board. There's olive oil, canola, wheat germ, almond, safflower, castor, etc. and it's cheaper than buying all those oils separately. There's along lots of herbs that are good for the hair as well like sage, henna, alfalfa, etc.
I have been using it religiously since October of last year. I press every 2 weeks and I go to the gym. Sometimes to the end of the second week I'll flexirod set with a little of that oil on the ends as well.

-Wendy

seems like à good product. i might try some in thé futur. my fine hair doesnt really react on oils.. either their too light,greasy or too heavy.
ive.bought so many before(that i still have not used up) and they costed money!

can u find this hot 6 online? im in france. planning to go to london à week holiday and i wonder if i can find that there .

Wenbev

seems like à good product. i might try some in thé futur. my fine hair doesnt really react on oils.. either their too light,greasy or too heavy.
ive.bought so many before(that i still have not used up) and they costed money!

can u find this hot 6 online? im in france. planning to go to london à week holiday and i wonder if i can find that there .

So far it's working. I only use a small amount at a time. I understand about wasting money. Try using mixing up the oils you have in conditioner. Or using them as a pre shampoo treatment. When I use pre oils I rarely need to do a deep condish.
I'm not certain if you can get it overseas but it is called African Royale Hot Six Oil.

moniq

-Wendy
I love Hot Six Oil as well and have been using it for many years. I agree it is cheaper than buying a bunch of separate oils and it works well:yep:. I use it for the ceramides challenge board also.

naturallygoldie

A moisture rich deep dc is key to moisturized heat-styled hair. A good leave in helps too. You have to try things and see what works for you. My hair is fine but dense. I wrap at night til I'm bored, loose top bun or banana clip until I have time to wash it again.

If you are heat styling and your hair is breaking....something is missing from your routine.

Wenbev

A moisture rich deep dc is key to moisturized heat-styled hair. A good leave in helps too. You have to try things and see what works for you. My hair is fine but dense. I wrap at night til I'm bored, loose top bun or banana clip until I have time to wash it again.

If you are heat styling and your hair is breaking....something is missing from your routine.

naturallygoldie what kinds of DCs are you using? And are proteins a part of your hair routines?

coolsista-paris

So far it's working. I only use a small amount at a time. I understand about wasting money. Try using mixing up the oils you have in conditioner. Or using them as a pre shampoo treatment. When I use pre oils I rarely need to do a deep condish.
I'm not certain if you can get it overseas but it is called African Royale Hot Six Oil.

i have tried oil rinsing and it was pretty good. i might do that again.

does leaving oil for 1 hour after shampoing considered as à dc?

i pre poo with apoghee 2 min. shampoo or co wash.
id like to start dc'ing too (with my 8 section of braids). maybe oil will do?

naturallygoldie

Wenbev I haven't used a protein specific dc...I've added aloe Vera juice to a few (it was ok)

So far, bambu silicon mix (smell, price and slip) gives me the ultimate results. Una vitamins, racippota (i think thats the name) and la plancha have been good to me too. The coconut oil keeps me balanced.

coolsista-paris

my hair breaks à few days after i flat iron (needs to try more products for moisturizing straightened hair)
when i rollerset it keeps moisture better. i then just flat iron thé roots. it dépends .

im gonna try oil rinsing. or dc for 1 hour with à moisturizing condit.

Wenbev

my hair breaks à few days after i flat iron (needs to try more products for moisturizing straightened hair)
when i rollerset it keeps moisture better. i then just flat iron thé roots. it dépends .

im gonna try oil rinsing. or dc for 1 hour with à moisturizing condit.

I would think if you're experiencing breakage I would use the oil as a pre shampoo, shampoo with a moisturizing creamy shampoo, dc with more moisture and a good leave in. Maybe a little coconut oil on the ends.

Wenbev

Wenbev I haven't used a protein specific dc...I've added aloe Vera juice to a few (it was ok)

So far, bambu silicon mix (smell, price and slip) gives me the ultimate results. Una vitamins, racippota (i think thats the name) and la plancha have been good to me too. The coconut oil keeps me balanced.

naturallygoldie I've heard of the bumbu. I may have to check that one out. Thank you!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i wash weekly. i used to go longer but my scalp is more oily now so i need to wash more often.

Wenbev

Every two weeks, since i press 2x a month. I cannot push past that. I'm looking into using a dry shampoo, though.

RoundEyedGirl504

So the Elasta QP Mango Butter is a winner as my moisturizer while straightened. Its just heavy enough without weighing my hair down. Every other night I put some on my ends.

hnntrr

Hello! I am not fully natural (transitioning) but I want to flat iron my hair tonight. I looked on the forums for tips on how to blow dry/flat iron without too much heat damage / loosing the curl pattern that is forming on my new growth. I sort of have a blow dryer (I have to see if my roommate will let me borrow hers)....is there anything I should do prior to flat ironing?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Hello! I am not fully natural (transitioning) but I want to flat iron my hair tonight. I looked on the forums for tips on how to blow dry/flat iron without too much heat damage / loosing the curl pattern that is forming on my new growth. I sort of have a blow dryer (I have to see if my roommate will let me borrow hers)....is there anything I should do prior to flat ironing?

This is a few of my tips mixed with what i learned recently from others.

-Deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner before hand.

-use a heat protector.

-use small sections when blowdrying preferablly with some type of comb or brush attachment

-dont rush through the blowdry.

-if you have multiple heat setting on your dryer use a high air setting and medium to low heat setting.

-use 1 pass of the flat iron at no higher that 365 degrees(i personally like 345)

-do a protein treatment when you wash it out.

for far i am going to be 12 months post and i still have my coilies. I plan to get better heat tools to minimize any curl loss that might occur. when i was a straight hair natural before i still had my curls. but now my curls are more "snappy" that i am using better techniques.

Wenbev

hnntrr I agree with everything that Napp mentioned but I would add on to say prior to washing add a prepoo of ceramide rich oils to your hair and shampoo with a moisturizing poo like Giovanni deep moisture. This will give your hair added moisture while wearing straight. And use a serum for heat protectant rather than a liquid. The liquids tend to get hair sticky if you put too much.

hnntrr

hnntrr I agree with everything that Napp mentioned but I would add on to say prior to washing add a prepoo of ceramide rich oils to your hair and shampoo with a moisturizing poo like Giovanni deep moisture. This will give your hair added moisture while wearing straight. And use a serum for heat protectant rather than a liquid. The liquids tend to get hair sticky if you put too much.

Unfortunately my hair does NOT do well with shampooing, I dont plan on shampoo'ing unless for some reason I get in a pool........or HAVE to wash my hair with sulfates/cones in it... :\ and I dont have any shampoo I can use that is silicone, sulfate free right now since I am doing the CG method. Nor do I have a serum haha. I will try to work with what I have for right now but I will keep everything you said into consideration. Thank you.