Summer Bun Challenge

prettybyrd

I may reconsider wetting everyday. My hair is in a bun right now and I'm kind of liking the way "dirty" hair feels. It's so strange. When I was relaxed, I would go weeks without washing my hair, but if I go just a few days without washing as a natural I feel dirty. I'm going to see how close to a week I can go before breaking down and shampooing.

Leo24Rule

I'm in!

Level 4 - Platinum

Starting length - Bra strap

Goal - To reach mid-back or retain at least 3 inches by September.

Regimen - Co-wash 2-3x / week, Deep condition 1x / week, shampoo 1x / per month, leave-in, fenugreek tea and essential oil spritz, moisturize and LOC every other day, wet bun, henna 1x / month, finger detangle as much as possible.

Joining this challenge because bunning is a quick, easy, and inexpensive way to protective style. I currently bun 4-5 days a week.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

The fenugreek & essential oil spritz is your leave in?

krissyhair

Challenge starts today. I hope you're having a good father's day with the men in your life.

I started out with a high swirl bun secured with two panty hose hair ties and lots of gel.

prettybyrd

I am wearing a top knot that I fixed up just before I left for work. I had to use a bit more gel than normal. Tonight I'm going to cleanse, condition, dust, and M/S before putting my hair back up in the bun.

I saw a video on FB of a style that I am going to attempt sometime next week and keep in for at least a week.

krissyhair

By the way, I know I never cleaned up the thread. In fact, I haven't opened my laptop in a month since school ended.

Leo24Rule

Level 2 - Star Level

1) My starting curly length is APL (dry), and I'd like to make FULL BSL (dry) by September.
2) My regimen will be to wash & deep condition 1x a week, co-wash mid-week, detangle, use LOC method, and braid to wet bun. In between wash day and co-washing my hair should be dry and I will still bun. No rubber bands and only bobby pins. When I get home I will take down the bun and sleep in braid.
3) I've been wearing my hair in a bun now for the last 2 weeks for work. Now that it's summer and super hot it's a no brainer for me & depending if I have to work more than 5 days a week I'll still bun. I want my hair to not only retain length but thickness too.

jennifer30

Yes! Especially wet Bunning.

Trust me, try cowashing and throwing your hair into a messy wet bun for a summer and see the growth.
wouldn't that cause breakage, to wet it like that? and what do you wet yours with? how many times do you co-wash?

Last edited:

krissyhair

wouldn't that cause breakage, to wet it like that? and what do you wet yours with? how many times do you co-wash?
I've never had breakage from this.

I cowash when the hair gets dirty from exercising or buildup and shampoo once a week.

I finger comb the hair, use leave in, slick with my hands or gently with a brush, use any other product I might need to for hold, then bun it.

As far as wetting the hair, I only need to wet it to detangle or reduce the frizz. However often that is.

jennifer30

I've never had breakage from this.

I cowash when the hair gets dirty from exercising or buildup and shampoo once a week.

I finger comb the hair, use leave in, slick with my hands or gently with a brush, use any other product I might need to for hold, then bun it.

As far as wetting the hair, I only need to wet it to detangle or reduce the frizz. However often that is.
ok. thanks.

overtherainbow

Joining! Will add pics in a little bit.

I'm going to start at entry level but will most likely move up to star level because I like to bun for work. My main bun types would be a cinnamon bun or a sock bun, but now I really want to give hairagami a go :)

Starting length: I'm somewhere in MBL territory, but I can't remember where:look: I'll do a length check this weekend. My only goal is to be closer to waist length!

Reggie:
My hair is waaay to coily for wet bunning so I will coat my ends heavily in EVCO the night before or the morning of.
I will alternate between twisted buns and buns done with loose hair (twisted buns are a little easier on my strands)
I won't use gel, only gentle edge control products and a super soft brush when needed
I shampoo and/or cowash at least weekly. From there I either will do small twists which would stay in for most of the week or big twists just to stretch my hair. I'm waiting on getting a hair dryer attachment for my blow dryer to do curlformer curls buns.

Current bun pics (both contain a small sock ;))

Attachments

• 20150624_071558.jpg
    20150624_071558.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20150609_081544.jpg
    20150609_081544.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20150609_081702.jpg
    20150609_081702.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

HaveSomeWine

Level
Star level - I have to wear buns for work five days a week.

Starting length
Bsb/bsl on my way to mbl

End of challenge goal
I would like to reach mbl

Regimen
Daily

Wet hair
LOC
Smooth back hair with hands
Bun

Weekly
Shampoo and Deep Condition or Cowash
Detangle in the shower
LOC
Let air dry and wear curly to give edges a break from the stress of bunning.

Reason for joining
I have no choice but to wear buns for work so I may as well make the most out of it and improve my hair's health.