Summer Bun Challenge

krissyhair

Level
Star level - I have to wear buns for work five days a week.

Starting length
Bsb/bsl on my way to mbl

End of challenge goal
I would like to reach mbl

Regimen
Daily

Wet hair
LOC
Smooth back hair with hands
Bun

Weekly
Shampoo and Deep Condition or Cowash
Detangle in the shower
LOC
Let air dry and wear curly to give edges a break from the stress of bunning.

Reason for joining
I have no choice but to wear buns for work so I may as well make the most out of it and improve my hair's health.

That's exactly the type of simple regimen that inspires me.

TLC1020

Very pretty bun

I am wearing a top knot that I fixed up just before I left for work. I had to use a bit more gel than normal. Tonight I'm going to cleanse, condition, dust, and M/S before putting my hair back up in the bun.

I saw a video on FB of a style that I am going to attempt sometime next week and keep in for at least a week.

Realhairdontcare

Level : Gold
Starting Length : between cbl and apl
End of challenge goal : to keep my thickness but also make it to apl
Regimen: wash hair once a week, moisterize as needed, oil scalp as needed, airdry in braids, rotate bun position each time i moisterize, deep condition every week, lco then gel and scarf to lay down hair.
Reason for joining : i notice i retain length better when i bun.

Rozlewis

Going back to my buns after I cowash tomorrow. I did a perm rod set and they always seem to cause tangling at the ends. I only do then occasionally.

prettybyrd

everytime i undo my bun, my hair seems thicker ..and longer

Jennifer30, how long do you keep the same bun? I've been releasing and re-bunning almost everyday, but I think I should keep the same bun for a few days at a time to minimize manipulation.

Also, I'm trying finger detangling and combing for the first time in a long while. I'm amazed by my curls. Since they are not completely combed out my bun is super wavy. I love this look! Oh, and a guy remarked about how good I looked today. What?!?! My bun and baby hair got me like:

jennifer30

Jennifer30, how long do you keep the same bun? I've been releasing and re-bunning almost everyday, but I think I should keep the same bun for a few days at a time to minimize manipulation.

Also, I'm trying finger detangling and combing for the first time in a long while. I'm amazed by my curls. Since they are not completely combed out my bun is super wavy. I love this look! Oh, and a guy remarked about how good I looked today. What?!?! My bun and baby hair got me like:
i stopped bunning, i was getting breakage from it..or maybe it was because i would undo my bun everyday..lol

prettybyrd

Are you guys really getting breakage from undoing the bun? I get the opposite effect. If I don't undo by the end of the day and sleep in it, it strains my edges. I have to redo and change my bun position on the daily.

I think my small amount of breakage was from combing and brushing too aggressively, the buns are fine. I was concerned about over manipulating my hair with daily combing and brushing, but now that I'm finger combing, perhaps I don't really need to worry about keeping the same bun for days on in because the problem was in my rough handling of my hair.

After reading some other posts, I think I should stick with what I am doing. it's growing well and looks great; I don't want to stop letting down my bun at the expense of my (newly re-obtained) edges.

jennifer30

I think my small amount of breakage was from combing and brushing too aggressively, the buns are fine. I was concerned about over manipulating my hair with daily combing and brushing, but now that I'm finger combing, perhaps I don't really need to worry about keeping the same bun for days on in because the problem was in my rough handling of my hair.

After reading some other posts, I think I should stick with what I am doing. it's growing well and looks great; I don't want to stop letting down my bun at the expense of my (newly re-obtained) edges.

the only reason i undo my bun is because baby hair sticks out, so i would have to brush it back to fix it.

jennifer30

Yeah, try without the headband, and give your ends some TLC more often. Had you said the crown, I would have said move your bun around. You may be able to continue bunning by just make those modifications.
it only works when i wear the bun in a lower position. do you put anything on your ends? do you bun on wet or dry hair?