Sunday Bible Studies - Here!

MrsIQ

I have a friend who would love to sing in the choir, but she said if she could sing, she has no doubt that she would get the big head. She said God knows what gift to give each of us.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I attended a worshop on spiritual gifts 2 weeks ago and took a quiz to discover my gifts. My prayer is for the Holy Spirit to teach and guide me in using my gifts to do His will. I wonder if I've been influenced by the training in my secular career.

What is your gift, if you dont mind me asking?

I don't know. I've been looking forward to this all weekend!

Me too LOL

kila82

Hi ladies! I will have to post later I HAVE to finish this paper I am so behind in my school work!! Be back later! Can't wait to read everyone's thoughts :D

HWAY

Exhortation is one. It seems to fit. For me, this topic is fascinating because I wasn't taught this at my old church. The church I'm currently attending encourages us to develop our gifts.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Its becoming popular to be Christians w/o a church, but I feel like if your not IN the body, you are NOT fully in CHRIST. How do you ladies feel about that?

SweetSimplicity

Hi Ladies,

My thoughts:

All believing Christians have a unique role to play in the Church. As others said and the chapter states. Every member is given different gifts by the Holy Spirit for the benefit of the entire church body that can be used in the various ministries of the church. No one gift is more important than the other. All are needed.

12 For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body-whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free-and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For in fact the body is not one member but many.

I think this is dealing with unity in the church. Within our individual congregations and the church body as a whole. We should not be divided based on superficial things such as nationality, position in life etc. We are all one in Christ. I would even say this would apply to the different Christian denominations. We need to focuss on the essentials of our faith and stop arguing about things that really aren't important for our salvation. Every denomination has something to offer the body has a whole.

HWAY

Christians need to fellowship with other Christians. I didn't attend church for about a year but my parents and several coworkers encouraged me to find a church home. I read the bible on my own, but it's not the same.

smwrigh3

Its becoming popular to be Christians w/o a church, but I feel like if your not IN the body, you are NOT fully in CHRIST. How do you ladies feel about that?

I use to be like that. I was really lazy (just being honest) to get up and go to church and if I did I was go ONLY on Sunday and I never attended church events. Fast forward JUST 3 Months. I have only missed ONE Sunday. I attend Sunday School and Bible Study (my schedule is open. I am single with no children.) I love my church and I am so happy that I found a home. I dont/didnt have the foundation to develop a relationship with Christ without a church. I didnt even own a bible:blush: But the more I learn I find myself wanting and yearning for more.

I am confident that one day if I choose to do work over seas my foundation in Christ is strong enough for me to not HAVE to go to church and maybe minister to others.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Christians need to fellowship with other Christians. I didn't attend church for about a year but my parents and several coworkers encouraged me to find a church home. I read the bible on my own, but it's not the same.

My point exactly, it makes learning better.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I use to be like that. I was really lazy (just being honest) to get up and go to church and if I did I was go ONLY on Sunday and I never attended church events. Fast forward JUST 3 Months. I have only missed ONE Sunday. I attend Sunday School and Bible Study (my schedule is open. I am single with no children.) I love my church and I am so happy that I found a home. I dont/didnt have the foundation to develop a relationship with Christ without a church. I didnt even own a bible:blush: But the more I learn I find myself wanting and yearning for more.

I am confident that one day if I choose to do work over seas my foundation in Christ is strong enough for me to not HAVE to go to church and maybe minister to others.

This is how I feel....I started to get right at the beginning of this year to be exact the 1st Sunday I started going. I want to be better so I just tried and things started flowing. I had no knowledge of the Bible but I an learning. I attend Bible Study on Tuesday and Church on Sundays and I actually want another day.

HWAY

I wonder how many of the Christians who prefer not to attend church made that choice because of spiritual abuse.

DaiseeDay

ZebraPrintLover said:

I don't agree.

I do agree that you need fellowship and to be doing your part in the body, but it just depends on what you're called to.

I don't think you should be complacent, never intending to do your part, but you can be fully in Christ in the in-between and sometimes your part is not in a building. No where does it specify a church building. There are a lot of people in A church, but not in THE church. THE church being the "one Spirit" Paul talks about here.

There are Christians living so fully alive in Christ on the mission fields of far off places where there are hardly any other Christians, except maybe their mission partners; they can't make it to a church building, but yes they are most certainly a part of the body.

I don't think Paul is talking about a church building, ever, actually.

He does say not to neglect to meet together (in Hebrews), but Paul wasn't with them when he wrote that (obviously). There are times when we are called to be someplace where that isn't possible. That doesn't mean we're not fully in Christ.

Yeah where there are a group of real Christ-filled Christians they should not neglect to meet together, to build each other up FOR the work Christ has for us (not just to play games *ahem*), and I think it's our responsibility to seek out that group.

I have to say that I think God is pouring out His Spirit in ways beyond our understanding that transcend church buildings, that will reach the truly lost of the far corners of the earth, whom may never step foot in a church.

I think submitting to His Spirit and the call He has on our lives, which will serve the body in whatever unique way He's designed us for, is what this is really about. The MSG translation says: "You can easily enough see how this kind of thing works by looking no further than your own body. Your body has many parts-limbs, organs, cells-but no matter how many parts you can name, you're still one body. It's exactly the same with Christ.".

There are SO many different body parts, some that we can't even name because we can't see them! But it's still a part of Christ's body. I've seen people working for Christ in ways that a lot of people in traditional churches wouldn't understand or see, but yet they are so essential to Christ's work.

We have to reach outside of ourselves and stop worrying about if our part seems big enough, or if it fits in a certain box, or if people will recognize it.
If you're an organ they might not, because we don't see organs, yet without them we're dead.

The Pharisees didn't recognize Christ because he didn't fit in at church, but umm, He IS the body. Which is why His Word describes them as blind. They couldn't even see the body they were working so self-righteously to fit into, so much so that they completely missed it.

This doesn't negate the church buildings at all, I just think we have to not be boxed into a PLACE so much that we forget the Spirit. Because if you are filled with the Spirit you may need to step away from the church for a while to follow Him. We can't all be an eye; we can't all be ushers safe inside the church building, some of us are called away from the building, but not away from the body. It's the Spirit that makes us all apart of the one body - the real church.

Last edited:

DaiseeDay

smwrigh3 said:

This is what I mean. We do need to meet with other Christians to build each other up so that we can do the work we're called for.

*Just I case my other post sounded like I was negating church, cause I wasn't. I was just saying that Paul was talking about being called to different things and it's not always going to allow us to be in a building. So when we can, we need to take advantage of meeting with real Christians and not wasting time.

LifeafterLHCF

It's funny this is the bible study scripture base. I read this Friday. I often times wanted to have a real amazing gift that could make me profitable in so many ways. It wasn't until recent that I am allowing myself to accept the gifts I was granted. We all should take inventory of our gifts as I do believe they change as we grow.

This scripture in my vantage points really pushes the mantra that we are a unified front. However in this day and age that has been lost. We won't help one another unless we are getting paid for it. Also at times our gifts don't have as much esteem as others however we must take heart that if God gave it to us then it's a worthy gift if we use it right and have the right mental path for it.

I don't necessarily agree that one must be in a brick and mortar building to fellowship. I do that often here just fine. I have been more challenged here than in any church. There is only one church I would like to attend but they are in MD and I'm in the jacked up state of Tx...one day until then online will be my way of learning,growing and flowing..

Rainbow Dash

I wonder how many of the Christians who prefer not to attend church made that choice because of spiritual abuse.

HWAY

I was one of those Christians that almost gave up on church due to spiritual abuse. Thank God that he really does have pastors after His heart. The ministry I attend now is healthy and the leaders love God and the people. I am thankful :yep:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang

Whatdo you mean?

I don't agree.

I do agree that you need fellowship and to be doing your part in the body, but it just depends on what you're called to.

I don't think you should be complacent, never intending to do your part, but you can be fully in Christ in the in-between and sometimes your part is not in a building. No where does it specify a church building. There are a lot of people in A church, but not in THE church. THE church being the "one Spirit" Paul talks about here.

There are Christians living so fully alive in Christ on the mission fields of far off places where there are hardly any other Christians, except maybe their mission partners; they can't make it to a church building, but yes they are most certainly a part of the body.

I don't think Paul is talking about a church building, ever, actually.

He does say not to neglect to meet together (in Hebrews), but Paul wasn't with them when he wrote that (obviously). There are times when we are called to be someplace where that isn't possible. That doesn't mean we're not fully in Christ.

Yeah where there are a group of real Christ-filled Christians they should not neglect to meet together, to build each other up FOR the work Christ has for us (not just to play games *ahem*), and I think it's our responsibility to seek out that group.

I have to say that I think God is pouring out His Spirit in ways beyond our understanding that transcend church buildings, that will reach the truly lost of the far corners of the earth, whom may never step foot in a church.

I think submitting to His Spirit and the call He has on our lives, which will serve the body in whatever unique way He's designed us for, is what this is really about. The MSG translation says: "You can easily enough see how this kind of thing works by looking no further than your own body. Your body has many parts-limbs, organs, cells-but no matter how many parts you can name, you're still one body. It's exactly the same with Christ.".

There are SO many different body parts, some that we can't even name because we can't see them! But it's still a part of Christ's body. I've seen people working for Christ in ways that a lot of people in traditional churches wouldn't understand or see, but yet they are so essential to Christ's work.

We have to reach outside of ourselves and stop worrying about if our part seems big enough, or if it fits in a certain box, or if people will recognize it.
If you're an organ they might not, because we don't see organs, yet without them we're dead.

The Pharisees didn't recognize Christ because he didn't fit in at church, but umm, He IS the body. Which is why His Word describes them as blind. They couldn't even see the body they were working so self-righteously to fit into, so much so that they completely missed it.

This doesn't negate the church buildings at all, I just think we have to not be boxed into a PLACE so much that we forget the Spirit. Because if you are filled with the Spirit you may need to step away from the church for a while to follow Him. We can't all be an eye; we can't all be ushers safe inside the church building, some of us are called away from the building, but not away from the body. It's the Spirit that makes us all apart of the one body - the real church.

When I said the first bolded I wasnt referring to the content of tonight I was just think in general. Okay but what aboutt having a foundation? We work stronger as a team and so if you have no home how do you work? I am thinking more onn terms of ppl not attending church at all butt call themselves Christians

I am not disagreeing I am seeing how ppl look at the subject

Last edited:

MrsIQ

We all know that even in God's house there are people who feel the need to make you look less than in order to feel better about themselves.

I thank God that either he's protected me from these people or I'm so oblivious to people's antics that I've missed it.

For those who haven't, still know that He's on his throne and see all. Those people usually spend so much time playing saved and are usually the most active in the church, we think that all saved folk must be like them on some level.

LifeafterLHCF

ZebraPrintLover I will say from my own definition of spiritual abuse some will be so negative in the church. They are mean spirited and belittling. Some will try and use the word against you. I say so much turbulence in the church that it's abuse. The gossiping,the fables,the snobbery,the elitist,the class-ism,the sexism in the church all in my def fall under abuse and another key is judgmental blaspheme. I haven't been in church in over 6 months. I may not return until I get to the church in MD or somthing like it. I don't want to be preached at I want to be taught and encouraged and groomed..

HWAY

One's foundation must be Jesus. The foundation of the church as a body of believers must be Jesus Christ, not one person or a group making decisions for other.I wish someone had asked the questions list in this link: http://www.churchabuse.com/survey.asp. When I finally broke free, I was scared to attend another congregation. I trusted the bible, but had loads of questions.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
This is what I mean. We do need to meet with other Christians to build each other up so that we can do the work we're called for.

*Just I case my other post sounded like I was negating church, cause I wasn't. I was just saying that Paul was talking about being called to different things and it's not always going to allow us to be in a building. So when we can, we need to take advantage of meeting with real Christians and not wasting time.

This I absolutely agree with.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
It's funny this is the bible study scripture base. I read this Friday. I often times wanted to have a real amazing gift that could make me profitable in so many ways. It wasn't until recent that I am allowing myself to accept the gifts I was granted. We all should take inventory of our gifts as I do believe they change as we grow.

This scripture in my vantage points really pushes the mantra that we are a unified front. However in this day and age that has been lost. We won't help one another unless we are getting paid for it. Also at times our gifts don't have as much esteem as others however we must take heart that if God gave it to us then it's a worthy gift if we use it right and have the right mental path for it.

I don't necessarily agree that one must be in a brick and mortar building to fellowship. I do that often here just fine. I have been more challenged here than in any church. There is only one church I would like to attend but they are in MD and I'm in the jacked up state of Tx...one day until then online will be my way of learning,growing and flowing..

LOL, watch out now.

@ZebraPrintLover I will say from my own definition of spiritual abuse some will be so negative in the church. They are mean spirited and belittling. Some will try and use the word against you. I say so much turbulence in the church that it's abuse. The gossiping,the fables,the snobbery,the elitist,the class-ism,the sexism in the church all in my def fall under abuse and another key is judgmental blaspheme. I haven't been in church in over 6 months. I may not return until I get to the church in MD or somthing like it. I don't want to be preached at I want to be taught and encouraged and groomed..

This is what I look for....

MrsIQ

HWAY said:
It's really important to pray and search for a pastor whose teachings are bible based.

THis is what lead me back to the church I grew up in. My pastor is teaching us how to live in the world according to the BIble.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I should have some Application Bibles coming in soon in the mail so next week should be better for me.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
THis is what lead me back to the church I grew up in. My pastor is teaching us how to live in the world according to the BIble.

The churches I attend....a go to a certain one for Bible Study (bc it is close to school which is where I am at on school day) and a different one for my Sunday sermon.....do this as well. I like when things are applied to today life.

DaiseeDay

ZebraPrintLover said:
Whatdo you mean?

When I said the first bolded I wasnt referring to the content of tonight I was just think in general. Okay but what aboutt having a foundation? We work stronger as a team and so if you have no home how do you work? I am thinking more onn terms of ppl not attending church at all butt call themselves Christians

I am not disagreeing I am seeing how ppl look at the subject

Foundation comes from the Bible, and I think you can find great fellowship even if it's not exactly a church building. Like Biblical small groups.

I do think there are def. real Christians who don't go to a building. Strong Christians? Maybe not because it's hard to be strengthened without good fellowship which is more likely to be found in a good church, but that doesn't mean they're not Christians. But people who say they are Christians who don't read the Bible is a whole different story.

I also think what you said ties into tonight's study since I used mission workers as an example of real Christians who may not go to church. And that ties into what Paul is saying about all of us having different parts of the body, which is Spirit. Im emphasizing Spirit, because some people can be too caught up in a church building, which I think is opposite of what Paul is encouraging.

HWAY

It is very important to be in a church where the leaders don't it lord it over the congregation members, but encourage spiritual growth while teaching the word.

I'm learning more about stewardship and gifts of service and mercy. This understanding is making me a better and more giving person.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Foundation comes from the Bible, and I think you can find great fellowship even if it's not exactly a church building. Like Biblical small groups.

I do think there are def. real Christians who don't go to a building. Strong Christians? Maybe not because it's hard to be strengthened without good fellowship which is more likely to be found in a good church, but that doesn't mean they're not Christians. But people who say they are Christians who don't read the Bible is a whole different story.

I also think what you said ties into tonight's study since I used mission workers as an example of real Christians who may not go to church. And that ties into what Paul is saying about all of us having different parts of the body, which is Spirit. Im emphasizing Spirit, because some people can be too caught up in a church building, which I think is opposite of what Paul is encouraging.

I wish I could find a good fellowship group locally for me :sad:. I am still a baby when it comes to all of this and would like help and guidance.

Your second bold is what I was referring to LOL, those ppl :spinning:. Like having someone say that they are a Christ but doesnt know jack about the Bible, I am saying that to say this.....I have been there and didnt realize how bad off I was without a home (foundation- church, to each its own). Its so many ppl that I know walking around saying they are Christians but dont live as them and doing unChrist like things.

Its becoming popular to be Christians w/o a church, but I feel like if your not IN the body (not living by the Word), you are NOT fully in CHRIST.

Last edited:

HWAY

Your second bold is what I was referring to LOL, those ppl :spinning:. Like having someone say that they are a Christ but doesnt know jack about the Bible, I am saying that to say this.....I have been there and didnt realize how bad off I was without a home (foundation- church, to each its own). Its so many ppl that I know walking around saying they are Christians but dont live as them and doing unChrist like things.

(not living by the Word), you are NOT fully in CHRIST.

I try not to be judgmental, but I'm amazed at the number of people who are cultural Christians; whose theology seems to be a mix of different faiths.

LifeafterLHCF

LOL, watch out now.

I am born and raised in Texas so I can say I don't like this place with honesty.

This is what I look for....

I have encounted some christians like my friend who I feel at a point is like brainwashed. She is like a assistant to the pastor and the co-pastor/wife. I think its like crazy that even though they are struggling mad crazy she would buy things like certain waters and such for the pastor using her food stamps. I know they say you are to help with the church and its a small church,but I feel like when she is struggling the church is no where to be found. I may be wrong but just something in my spirit didn't click.

We as believes must not sit in the pews each week and just accept what the pastor says. He or she is a human thus have error. We must dig in the word for ourselves and it will then truly grow us.