The Ultimate Hardcore No Heat Challenge 2013

Evo-ny

Got my seamless combs yesterday, that magic rake is NO JOKE. It laughed at my 4 months worth of new growth! And because I was actually able to comb it out properly, my hair sits down on my head looking like I just got a fresh relaxer.

When I "detangled" with my other wide tooth combs, my head looked 3 sizes too big because I couldn't pull my hair back nicely.

Looks like I won't have to worry about the rest of my stretch after all! No heat is gonna touch this head, no ma'am!

Seamonster

I haven't used a comb or brush for 16 days now. The good thing about starting at the beginning of the year it is easy to measure how long I have gone. So far, it is difficult.

1. I feel funny scratching my scalp with my fingernails, but they work just as well as a comb.
2. I can oil my scalp easily
3. I am able to finger detangle easily
4. The one thing I miss is those crisp parts
5. My denman brush looks so lonely, and it does take longer to finger detangle than ripping thru my hair with a denman.
6. Brushing my scalp use to feel so good.

It took me 45 minutes to remove shed hair, oil my scalp, M&S; Still only took 5 minutes to style. I am keeping my hair detangled.

Seamonster

No heat/no comb is simplifying my life. Think of the potential for going on trips! No more combs, blow dryers, etc. Hope I nail this regime this year.

freckledface

I'm still hanging in here. Just been trying to look up YouTube videos on ways I can jazz up my bun. I'm trying to protective style until my next relaxer (sometime in march) possibly until my bday (June) just baby steps for now.

Danniquin

I forgot all about this challenge, and I need it now more than ever! I got heat happy towards the end of 2012 so my ends are looking kind if crunchy. I'm about to shampoo and DC now and hopefully I can stay on track with no heat!

toyas08

I did my first trim since being natural and they feel lovely. I want to do a roller set but I'm too lazy to buy rollers:lachen:. I put my hair in loose twist then french braided it.

Seamonster

I forgot all about this challenge, and I need it now more than ever! I got heat happy towards the end of 2012 so my ends are looking kind if crunchy. I'm about to shampoo and DC now and hopefully I can stay on track with no heat!
Danniquin
:lachen: The first month is the hardest. Hang in there!

I did my first trim since being natural and they feel lovely. I want to do a roller set but I'm too lazy to buy rollers:lachen:. I put my hair in loose twist then french braided it.
toyas08
Yea, I remember when I learned how powerful a fresh trim is. Make you want to throw your hair around-good job.

freckledface thanks for checking in.

Sholapie

Still bunning :) i'm getting really good at rollersets so i can switch it up and do sleek buns
20130120_130614-1.jpgthis was done with a spin pin oh and I cut bangs recently I'll post a pic of them soon.

Last edited:

ManiiSweetheart

*repost*
Update :
I've been washing every Saturday or Sunday.
Prepoo of evoo + water + garner fructis hydra recharge condish
Shampooed, overnight DC with moisture and protein ingredients.
Trying kinky curly knot today leave in now. Will probably do a braidout and pull it into a bun when dry.
I'm finally consistent with my MN usage so hoping for 1+ inch a month.
And I.think I'm.going to try baggying nightly for a moisture boost.
Oh! And I've also been drinking 64 oz of water daily and exercise 3 times a week. I've been doing swell! Hope you ladies are doing good as well!

alove15

Joined the set to success challenge. I'm setting on curl formers every 1.5 to 2 weeks on wash day. I want to stick to it for a few months and go from there. I'm liking the stretch I get esp. on my ends.

toyas08

I finally did a nice flat twist out after many failed twist outs. I damp my hair with water, used a little Aussie moist conditioner and evco & evoo mixed at the ends. I did 6 flat twist and when I took them my hair was soft and shiny.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-2643340915.jpg
    image-2643340915.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image-1993043615.jpg
    image-1993043615.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 16

Evo-ny

Gonna texlax this weekend. My hair looked at my tentative 2013 relax schedule and basically told me off! So I'm gonna listen to it rather than trying to make it listen to me.

I'm 5 months post, but I really thought I could stretch it till March... oh well. I'd rather not set myself up for a setback.

SincerelyBeautiful

I'm still doing well using no heat. I have been PSing in a bun all week. And the week before I had a quick weave in so I have been trying my hardest not to use my hooded dryer on this 16 week post hair lol.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

freckledface

I'm itching for my flat iron and I wanna wear my hair down. I rollerset today. That fixed me lol. Took forever. Halfway through I wanted to take it down. I'll remember this next time. I'll wear my hair out for about a hr and its going back up lol. OAN my ends look good. If I were using heat I'd be trying to trim.

Seamonster

I'm itching for my flat iron and I wanna wear my hair down. I rollerset today. That fixed me lol. Took forever. Halfway through I wanted to take it down. I'll remember this next time. I'll wear my hair out for about a hr and its going back up lol. OAN my ends look good. If I were using heat I'd be trying to trim.

freckledface Hang in there, your ends are looking good, and your hair will look so much healthier in two months.

Seamonster

Congratulations to making it a whole month without being dependant upon heat!
Some of us have made it a month without a comb. I must say I miss my denman, and the three comb method, so I hope I have some thick hair at the end of this challenge.

Here is my protective style for the month of February

GoodMernin

@GoodMernin Could we have pictures of your heat style? Have you decided you want to use heat often, or just having a hard time?

I didn't take any pics of the style.

I use heat maybe every 3 months or so but I needed a change after being natural for nearly 12 yrs.

I relaxed my hair then wanted to see how it looked flat ironed.

So far I love it because I have not used any heat since (about 3 weeks ago).

Matter of fact, I have been wearing it in twists that are then gathered into a bun since my hair still has texture.

Everything I did to my natural hair, I'm doing to it relaxed.

I'll take a pic of my twist bun later though.

Rozlewis

I use heat only once every three months to do a length check. I love air drying and PS'ing. I think I have mastered it for my hair.

Danniquin

Okay it's been 2 weeks? I think...and I haven't used heat! I've been wearing ponytails and braidouts I love my braidouts, ponytails are alright...:look:

But what are you girls doing for Valentine's Day? I want to look cute and I know I won't feel like I look cute unless my hair is done up, and that's going to require heat! Ugh :nono:

Seamonster

Danniquin Valentines only comes once a year, and you do want to feel your best on the day that men shower us with presents, we feast on chocolate, and end the night showing why black women rock. Do try to to snap a picture of your fabulous hairdo.

I don't know what I am going to do with my hair, I might try to stretch it and wear a BAA (date requested) or I am may see if my donut hole bun has grown into a whole donut. I really want to wear a donut bun.

Jewell

My last affair with heat was a flat ironing in 04/2012, and a rollerset dried by hooded dryer in 06/2012 after my virgin relaxer. Used to rollerset weekly yrs ago, but found lil broken hairs came off the rollers (magnetic) after, and have been avidly airdrying since. I only use heat of any type about once per year. As for V-day, I will be on vacay, but might do some curls with hot ceramic rollers for the SO.

nakialovesshoes

Seamonster Is that the comedian, can't-think-of-his-name, that you're with? Lemme find out you're doing it big like that... :look::lol:

I've had my hair up so regularly I don't even like it down anymore :lol:
ManiiSweetheart I definitely want to get to this point. I've been storing away YT bun videos so that when I finally make my goal, I'll have an arsenal of PS ideas.

My update: I got my weave done on the 29th of last month. I haven't posted any pics of it b/c I don't like it. I truly am not a weave person & it's so full it makes me feel self-conscious if I wear it down. So I wear it either in a low or high pony daily. I would've taken it out but I'm trying not to feel like I wasted money & plus it is a good PS. It's a dead match for my own hair texture so the only heat that was used was when she blew it out to braid it up for the install.

I use GroAut oil every other day for my growth aid. I use the LOC method every few days to moisturize. For the liquid, I use one of 3 things: Oyin J&B, or SM Hold & Shine Moisture Mist, or Tropic Isle LI Cond & Detangler. I use EVCO for the oil & for the cream I use KBB Super Duper Hydration Cream. I also CW the weave prettymuch every day/every other day so my braids underneath are getting moisture from that as well. I try to never let them dry all the way out.

I would still like to keep it for 3 months but I don't know. I will at least keep it until right before Easter. I have an event Easter weekend & I still haven't decided if I'm going to wear my own hair in a twist-out or if I'm going to don a wig. After Easter I will be beehived under wigs until the Beyonce concert in July. Again, I don't know if I'll wear my own hair to the concert or just wear a wig. Decisions, decisions...

Overall, I'm still honoring my commitment to this challenge.