Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

I just made my first hair salon appointment in two years today. The last time I was in the chair, my hair was being cornrowed. This time I'm going for a blowdry and flat iron for my trip to Las Vegas (birthday weekend next week!).

The last time I did a length check, I was partially MBL. But, I did some snipping since and I don't know where I stand now. I'm nervous as all hell, ya'll. I'm nervous with others in my hair!! Ugh! But, sometimes it's a necessary evil.

Yet, the place that I'm going to has a lot of natural hair clients (e.g. meaning they are get a lot of heat business). So, we shall see. I swear if anything happens, I'll cut a broad. For real.

Rae81

Just washed my hair after wearing it straight for 1 1/2 weeks and no heat damage YAY!!!:dance7:. Thats my biggest fear. I am so ready to big chop especially since i realized my hair can fit into a ponytail and make a lil puff, but im afraid because the curls on one side of my head are tighter than the other side. I dont know if that will look right :nono:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Over the past couple of weeks, I was trying to utilize products without cones in them because I kept reading about how bad they were for me. But, it has made the natural section of my hair has been really dry; so yesterday, I went back to the cones. After washing my hair, I went back to some leave-ins that were working for me before. I put Silken Child detangler (with cones), Aphogee Green Tea and Wave Nouveau Moisturizing Finishing Lotion (with cones). My hair still feels awesome! Does that mean I'm cone girl or am I missing something?

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Over the past couple of weeks, I was trying to utilize products without cones in them because I kept reading about how bad they were for me. But, it has made the natural section of my hair has been really dry; so yesterday, I went back to the cones. After washing my hair, I went back to some leave-ins that were working for me before. I put Silken Child detangler (with cones), Aphogee Green Tea and Wave Nouveau Moisturizing Finishing Lotion (with cones). My hair still feels awesome! Does that mean I'm cone girl or am I missing something?

I've never had problems with products with cones. Some people do and some people don't and now you know that you don't!
You got to use what works for you.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I've never had problems with products with cones. Some people do and some people don't and now you know that you don't!
You got to use what works for you.

your hair isn't sensitive to cones....i always say do what works! :grin:

Leahb

I want to transition from permed hair to my natural hair. I don't want to do the big chop. How do I do it? My salon stylist is Dominican and she says two clients tried it for a year. I really want to do this... help me please!:perplexed

havilland

first of all, please know that MOST stylists are not going to be supportive or know how to help you transition.

second of all, read this entire thread. there is alot of information in here that you will find helpful. almost like a book on the ups and downs of transitioning

third, do some research on you tube. there are plenty of vloggers that have transitioned. you can learn alot from them.

fourth, take your time and decide how you want to transition. long term, big chop, short term?

good luck

The Princess

So I worey first wig. I got many compliments. Even the following day, people were asking who did my hair. My Co worker who is a weave expert thought it was a a half wig. Cause it was blended well.

Its a Vanessa Eppy, I cut it down to mimic my actual length. I wear my hair in small pony bun.

I ordered from Sams beauty. It was $29.99.

For the front I pulled my baby hair out and gelled my baby hair with the wig baby hair.

Operation wig a success. Can't wait till my others get here.

image-750072053.jpg

The Princess

havilland said:
first of all, please know that MOST stylists are not going to be supportive or know how to help you transition.

second of all, read this entire thread. there is alot of information in here that you will find helpful. almost like a book on the ups and downs of transitioning

third, do some research on you tube. there are plenty of vloggers that have transitioned. you can learn alot from them.

fourth, take your time and decide how you want to transition. long term, big chop, short term?

good luck

Great advice havilland.

The Princess

thanks. i appreciate that. :yep:

i have a question ----- is it me or does it seem like there are a lot of "one time, one post, "lurked" for along time but just joined today" posters in here lately?

Some probally just decided to transitioned and found a home here.

MsDee14

Just washed my hair after wearing it straight for 1 1/2 weeks and no heat damage YAY!!!:dance7:. Thats my biggest fear. I am so ready to big chop especially since i realized my hair can fit into a ponytail and make a lil puff, but im afraid because the curls on one side of my head are tighter than the other side. I dont know if that will look right :nono:

Rae81 that's great you didnt get any hear damage! That's my biggest fear too.
How many months post are you?
I'm hoping to bc once I can fit my natural hair in a stress free pony.

havilland

Some probally just decided to transitioned and found a home here.

i see what you are saying, that's probably true.....i actually didn't really mean here with "us" in this thread :grin: i meant all over the forum. i keep bumping into this phenomena. not that it means anything, i just find it odd. :drunk: LOL

The Princess

I posted this in another thread

I used dabur vatkia natural coconut oil, on my hair and wrapped it up with Saran wrap while I exercise. Afterwards cowashed with VO5. I noticed a difference with using this oil prior to cowashing. My hair was soft and felt very conditioned. I will use this in my cowash/wash regimen.

This took my cowash to a new level.

Last edited:

Rae81

I also love these conditioners they provide also slip and make my hair feel good

ForumRunner_20121202_094944.jpg

sent from my galaxy

daviine

I've decided that until I find the products that moisturize Thing 1 and Thing 2 and make them act right, I'm going to leave conditioner in that part of my hair.

Rae81

I've decided that until I find the products that moisturize Thing 1 and Thing 2 and make them act right, I'm going to leave conditioner in that part of my hair.

I have a section in the front of my hair just like yours and i clarified today and it still looks the same. I have just come to the realization that section of hair is not going to change and that is its texture. I am angry because its right in the front and i know that once i go fully natural i will not be able to rock a wash n go because that section doesnt curl up like the rest of my hair.

daviine

Rae81 said:
I have a section in the front of my hair just like yours and i clarified today and it still looks the same. I have just come to the realization that section of hair is not going to change and that is its texture. I am angry because its right in the front and i know that once i go fully natural i will not be able to rock a wash n go because that section doesnt curl up like the rest of my hair.

Rae81
Exactly! I could have written this post. Yeah- mine still looks the same too lol. Oh well. I'm thinking I could wear headbands on that part or twist each side back. I know I didn't describe it well so I'll try to upload a pic.

mami2010

Ok ladies I am debating about transitioning, I have been thinking about it for some time now and I think I am finally ready. I have been texlaxing for 1 1/2 years to help get me to transition to natural. I really love the texlaxed hair texture but, I would really love it to have more texture. So natural hair here I come. I am about apl length right now but due for a trim. 3 inches of my hair is bone straight relaxed hair that needs to go in January. So I will know my true length come January. I will also need a whole new regimen...... One pic is of my texture and the other is my length.

Attachments

• image-464518475.jpg
    image-464518475.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 76
  • image-824399832.jpg
    image-824399832.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 81

Napp

Ms. Nobody
now that i have new products and gave my self a big cut i feel rejuvenated to continue my transition!

The Princess

I returned Mizani True texture curl conditioning wash back to Ulta. It smelled like heavy chemicals, very overbearing for me. I also returned Mizani supreme oil conditioner and Thermasmooth. It was the small bottles.
Target had a great Black Friday cyber sale. I got 2 liters of the Redken Smooth conditioner, BOGO free.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
So I washed my hair this week and got a few photos for you guys.
I am 45 weeks post..... I have very fine hair and unsure of the type.
I have a good amount of growth but my shrinkage is crazy. I'm pretty sure I will be cutting once I make it 16 months, which will be May 2013. Heck might even do it as earlier as March cause it get hot in Texas fast. Shhh it 82 degrees today!

Attachments

• 2012-11-17 20.43.00.jpg
    2012-11-17 20.43.00.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 2012-11-17 20.44.01.jpg
    2012-11-17 20.44.01.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 83
  • 2012-11-29 20.10.22.jpg
    2012-11-29 20.10.22.jpg
    509.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 2012-11-29 19.40.42.jpg
    2012-11-29 19.40.42.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

The Princess

ZebraPrintLover said:
So I washed my hair this week and got a few photos for you guys.
I am 45 weeks post..... I have very fine hair and unsure of the type.
I have a good amount of growth but my shrinkage is crazy. I'm pretty sure I will be cutting once I make it 16 months, which will be May 2013. Heck might even do it as earlier as March cause it get hot in Texas fast. Shhh it 82 degrees today!

Your hair looks good. Shine, sleekness. You go girl.

The Princess

mami2010 said:
Ok ladies I am debating about transitioning, I have been thinking about it for some time now and I think I am finally ready. I have been texlaxing for 1 1/2 years to help get me to transition to natural. I really love the texlaxed hair texture but, I would really love it to have more texture. So natural hair here I come. I am about apl length right now but due for a trim. 3 inches of my hair is bone straight relaxed hair that needs to go in January. So I will know my true length come January. I will also need a whole new regimen...... One pic is of my texture and the other is my length.

Do it! Do it! Come join us

daviine

I'm so tempted to BC 12.12.12. Such a cool date.

Going to look for other meaningful or interesting BC dates.