Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

ScorpioLove

Thank you guys. now that its mentioned I think it may have been me not putting my hair in braids after washing and not enough finger detangling.
I learned about not letting my hair just be in braids and forgetting it when I first started my hj... I somehow had a bunch of dreads in my hair when I did.
I need to stay in this thread to be inspired and not relax

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Thank you guys. now that its mentioned I think it may have been me not putting my hair in braids after washing and not enough finger detangling. I learned about not letting my hair just be in braids and forgetting it when I first started my hj... I somehow had a bunch of dreads in my hair when I did. I need to stay in this thread to be inspired and not relax
I subscribed to his thread so that I can be inspired too. I'm not ready to say its a transition...yet but I'm 17 weeks post and the one thing that used to make me relax early was my edges and ORS Edge Control has been the answer. I'm keeping my eyes on you ladies and paying attention to the tips.

so_stush

I didn't admit it was a transition until I was a year in. Until then I was just not getting a relaxer!

Anyone have a moisturizer they love on DRY hair? Preferably something I can get in the store. Right now I'm misting with water to apply my moisturizer.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I didn't admit it was a transition until I was a year in. Until then I was just not getting a relaxer!

Anyone have a moisturizer they love on DRY hair? Preferably something I can get in the store. Right now I'm misting with water to apply my moisturizer.

this was the same thing i did. i just was in a long stretch. i didn't want to pressure myself with labeling it. the reverse psychology fake out worked:grin:

SuchaLady

I'm "not relaxing" too y'all :look: I might break down and relax though. The thought of not having straight hair anymore scares me. I will always have to "do something" with my hair :ohwell: And I'm extremely hair lazy. I usually wash, dc, apply leave ins and slap in a bun. I can't do that anymore :sad:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I've been lurking (ala so_stush) and not really calling it a transition, I'm just not getting a relaxer either. I'm only 17 weeks post and today was one of those days when I was ready to end it. My crown is a totally different texture than the rest of my hair. It's the first place to break and the roughest hair on my head. The thing that stopped me was I ordered some new conditioner and I want to see if I can crack the whip on that NG with it. I'd love to know the answer to the moisturizer question too.

veesweets

I'm "not relaxing" too y'all :look: I might break down and relax though. The thought of not having straight hair anymore scares me. I will always have to "do something" with my hair :ohwell: And I'm extremely hair lazy. I usually wash, dc, apply leave ins and slap in a bun. I can't do that anymore :sad:

Oh how I miss those days! I took them for granted, I really did lol

havilland

ummmm.... i do that EVERY day as a natural. that's why i didn't cut my hair and transitioned for 2 years.:look:

attached is my co washed, deep conditioned, leave in, hair slapped in a bun.

Attachments

• photo(7).JPG
    photo(7).JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

SuchaLady

ummmm.... i do that EVERY day as a natural. that's why i didn't cut my hair and transitioned for 2 years.:look: attached is my co washed, deep conditioned, leave in, hair slapped in a bun.

I've never seen an entire head of my natural hair but I don't think my texture will allow for a smooth presentable bun. My curls may or may not be too small; I won't know for awhile.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
ummmm.... i do that EVERY day as a natural. that's why i didn't cut my hair and transitioned for 2 years.:look: attached is my co washed, deep conditioned, leave in, hair slapped in a bun.
I know we all want what we don't have but...your natural hair is so beautiful I can't imagine why you would have relaxed it. I haven't seen my natural hair without relaxed ends since I was a child but I'm pretty sure it's nothing like yours. Can you say "hair crush"!!!

havilland

I've never seen an entire head of my natural hair but I don't think my texture will allow for a smooth presentable bun. My curls may or may not be too small; I won't know for awhile.

i feel you on that.....my sister has a tighter curls than me, much more coarse, she can do a bun, but it took longer in her journey. she needed more length and she has to soak her hair in the shower, leave in some condish and then tie it down soaking wet....but her 4a/b hair does it and it looks cute....

you just may have to wait it out and see, but i wish you luck. you may find that your natural hair is easier than your relaxed hair.:grin:

SuchaLady

My hair is 4a and I'm also team wash, condition and throw in a bun. ;)

so_stush Is it smooth? (Not calling your hair unruly, just asking) I'm not naive enough to think my natural hair will have the same sleekness as my relaxed hair but that's a big concern of mine. I can't get my 20ish week post hair smooth even with 95% of the length being straight so I can't help but question and entire headful of natural hair :lol: But then on the other hand I've seen natural girls with sleeker buns than I've managed so idk what to believe anymore these days :giggle:

so_stush

so_stush Is it smooth? (Not calling your hair unruly, just asking) I'm not naive enough to think my natural hair will have the same sleekness as my relaxed hair but that's a big concern of mine. I can't get my 20ish week post hair smooth even with 95% of the length being straight so I can't help but question and entire headful of natural hair :lol: But then on the other hand I've seen natural girls with sleeker buns than I've managed so idk what to believe anymore these days :giggle:

I'm way more experienced with my natural hair now, so yes it is smooth. Don't get me wrong. It's a process, but I can take it from nappy to snatched in 5 minutes.

I dampen my hair, moisturize, then add gel and smooth with a damp brush. Depending on how sleek I want it, I'll throw some edge control gel on the front. Sometimes, depending on whether is a high bun or a low bun I have to smooth in sections. A technique hairlove used YEARS ago.

I don't do this for every but though. I'll throw some twists or braids or something along the front/hairline sometimes.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
havilland so_stush SuchaLady Cattypus1, I would never say I'm transitioning because I'm subject to cave at any moment. I would continue to call it stretching until....right now, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just taking it one week at a time. I'd love to see what my natural hair looks like but I'm not yet ready to commit to the time. I'm only 10 weeks post right now. ETA: EnExitStageLeft --- Congrats En, that's freaking awesome my dear.

SuchaLady

havilland so_stush SuchaLady Cattypus1, I would never say I'm transitioning because I'm subject to cave at any moment. I would continue to call it stretching until....right now, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just taking it one week at a time. I'd love to see what my natural hair looks like but I'm not yet ready to commit to the time. I'm only 10 weeks post right now. ETA: Congrats En, that's freaking awesome my dear.

divachyk I've seen my natural hair before (didnt BC so I guess technically I didn't get the full experience) and it was very anticlimactic. I wasn't excited, I wasn't anxious to play in it, nothing :lol: I think I just have a love and appreciation for my hair just being healthy and on my head; I often say I love my hair even when its in weave and no one understands how when its not even out :giggle: I just feel like I don't know what state I want to appreciate it in anymore :look:

SuchaLady

That's another thing, as I get more into weave I find myself wearing it from 4-6 months at a time and can't help but wonder why I even relax it to wear (in a bun at that) for half a year :look:

ScorpioLove

^^ do you have a pic of your 7 months post hair? I would love to see. Also how do you style your hair regularly?

Anyone get their hair rollerset regularly?

Britt

I'm a little over 8 months post and today I'm getting a rollerset and blowout. My rollerset wasn't bad at all, not too much pulling. I was leery at first coming here to get my hair done as Dominicans are use to permed hair. I'm gonna ask my lady here if she's ok with doing my hair just to make sure we are on the same page and my hair is in good hands. I currently hv the de treatment in my hair. I plan on using heat in some capacity for the rest of my transition and most likely on my natural hair as well. I know it's taboo but right now I think that's the option I'm most comfy with.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Britt

Here is my hair at abt 8 months, few days before the de treatment and after when I got it done.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-3906480545.jpg
    image-3906480545.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 45
  • image-987959296.jpg
    image-987959296.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 44

Cattypus1

All loced up...
@divachyk THANKS GIRL! @SuchaLady I wash and air dry ALLLLLLL the time. So much in fact that I actually prefer it to my straight hair. I'm type....4 something and my buns are pretty laid. @Cattypus1 Buddy, you with me? @xu93texas and I could always use another transitioning buddy :yep:
Yesterday was a rough day for my crown but me and PJ self ordered some new condish and I'm under heatcap right now with the new mix. Planning on a blowout and flat iron to go see my fav hur chopper to trim my ends. I love straight hair but I really want thick healthy hair. I'm in for the looooooooooooong stretch...scurred to say I'm transitioning cause like divachyk I might cave if I can't find the formula to manage this NG. Will you take a looooooooooooong stretcher under your wing, I want your hair when I grow up?

divachyk

Cattypus1, I'm sorry you had a rough crown day. How is your hair feeling now? I wouldn't transition under a wig. Well, let me rephrase. I would if i could find a wig that wasn't wiggy. All the ones I've seen and foolishly purchased scream wig. I wore a half wig to work one day and someone called me out. I haven't wore it again since. Thank you for the compliment. :giggle:

divachyk

Keeping the hair stretched after detangling really makes a world of a difference. I was struggling with my hair the earlier part of the week -- breakage more than I liked. I didn't run from it, I kept detangling with being as gentle as I could and braided the hair. The next time I took it down to run the comb through it, hardly any breakage. I re-braided it, took it down a few days later, again hardly any breakage. I'm impressed.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Cattypus1, I'm sorry you had a rough crown day. How is your hair feeling now? I wouldn't transition under a wig. Well, let me rephrase. I would if i could find a wig that wasn't wiggy. All the ones I've seen and foolishly purchased scream wig. I wore a half wig to work one day and someone called me out. I haven't wore it again since. Thank you for the compliment. :giggle:
Thanks, I'm only 17 weeks and this is my second longest stretch. I can't do wigs but I've never dealt with my natural hair so I'm looking to you ladies to show me the ropes. I've been scouring the internet for "stretching" (not transitioning--who am I kidding?) styles. I'm not that into Afros but I love me some twist outs! I'm much more into feel than looks but I don't want to look crazy either. My crown is not the biz!