Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

almond eyes

I can understand you, the BC is not for everyone. You really have to get a handle of your hair especially if you have not had it short in a long time. Lots of men get very upset over any discussions of cutting or trimming hair and I think this goes across all cultures. My dad is Nigerian and my mother has SL hair that is natural and thick and whenever my mother has to go to the salon and they want to trim her hair Dad doesn't like it at all.

Right now, I am not in a relationship but I am eager to get past this intermediary stage. I pretty much have been known to not stick to any particular hairstyle so I don't have any hair crutches. Most of the men who are attracted to me don't really care about my hair length. The guy I had a massive crush on saw my BC in July and I was gobsmacked that he told me that it was my best hairstyle and my signature was my relaxed APL hair in a bun and long extension braids in the past.

I have friends who have boyfriends and husbands who have only seen them with weave, extension braids or SL hair relaxed and they would love to BC but they get terrified at the reactions when they bring it up.

You can still have healthy natural hair and not BC and you can still grow it long. It all requires patience and knowing your hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

naija24

almond_eyes

yes, i think i would have loved to BC still, but if BF wasn't going to be on board, then I just can't be on board. the longer I date him, the more our decisions kind of intertwine. He can't go on any trips or even man-dates with the guys without at least telling me or having me on board with it. With me, he's big on hair. I just have to respect that as his woman.

I'm still going natural. I'm just gonna long term transition. Trim the relaxed hair (if I feel like it) bit by bit or heat train. Whichever. And idk, this kind of presents a new challenge. I'd like to see how long my hair can grow from here.

coolsista-paris

in washed my hair the same way as laSt week. it came out soft again ( cantu shea leave in is officially my staple for keeping my hair soft and moisturized ) image-3910787620.jpg image-1449308053.jpg image-1405993290.jpg sorry if they are upside down. that is something injust cant figure out. son first pic: damp hair (see those relaxed ends) second pic: tension blow dried third pic: tension bol dried (back view) oh in also dusted all over ( even trimmed some areas with more lenght cut off) the pics of a brush were for a test ( i cant erase them) :-/

oh and , im 12 months and a half in transition. ;-)

Attachments

• image-3143304590.jpg
    image-3143304590.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 75
  • image-988608190.jpg
    image-988608190.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image-756933940.jpg
    image-756933940.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 71
  • image-2390819850.jpg
    image-2390819850.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3016305201.jpg
    image-3016305201.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Lissa0821

I am transitioning to natural and I am about 40 weeks post relaxer. My last relaxer touchup was February 27. I experienced a lot of breakage in the early stages so the crown of my head is completely natural. I keep my hair neck length and wear it tightly curled or in a half wigs.

I haven't decided when I will be cutting the rest of my relaxed ends, it's really not that much but I make it work.

I want to color my hair but I am nervous because I have gotten my hair to such a healthy place but my greys seems to be increasing daily.

Guinan

Re-Branding
in washed my hair the same way as laSt week. it came out soft again ( cantu shea leave in is officially my staple for keeping my hair soft and moisturized ) sorry if they are upside down. that is something injust cant figure out. son first pic: damp hair (see those relaxed ends) second pic: tension blow dried third pic: tension bol dried (back view) oh in also dusted all over ( even trimmed some areas with more lenght cut off) the pics of a brush were for a test ( i cant erase them) :-/

oh and , im 12 months and a half in transition. ;-)

Wow that's a lot of new growth! !!

Honey Bee

Current pics:

Hair is mostly dry with damp roots. In pic #3, I was doing a gel experiment. The left is Sally's Biotera Styling Gel, the right is KCCC. It's sticking straight up so I could photograph against a good background.

And please excuse the wire hanger. SO won't throw them away. He'd also never seen Mommy Dearest. :rolleyes: Despite my masterful re-enactment of the film, nothing will change his cold, cold heart. :nono: :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_20141221_170803.jpg
    IMG_20141221_170803.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20141221_171124.jpg
    IMG_20141221_171124.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20141221_170550.jpg
    IMG_20141221_170550.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 110

coolsista-paris

Wow that's a lot of new growth! !!

if you consider it is the that is exciting! im happy then. i was a slower grower for some time in my opinion.

i have noticed that my nails are longer and stronger too now.

the changes since february this year: i stopped birth control pill in february after over 8 years taking them .

since april: i started a new job and i started working out (something i had not done in at least 7 years, except for dancing hope or out with friends)....

less stress

coolsista-paris

Current pics: Hair is mostly dry with damp roots. In pic #3, I was doing a gel experiment. The left is Sally's Biotera Styling Gel, the right is KCCC. It's sticking straight up so I could photograph against a good background. And please excuse the wire hanger. SO won't throw them away. He'd also never seen Mommy Dearest. :rolleyes: Despite my masterful re-enactment of the film, nothing will change his cold, cold heart. :nono: :lol:

almost no relaxer left! i love this Wiry strands :)

Honey Bee

You're almost there! Barely any relaxed ends left. How much longer till u feel comfy chopping? I love your curls.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

almost no relaxer left! i love this Wiry strands :)

Thank y'all! I love it too, it's just what I imagined. :love3:

But I'm sorry @Britt, I'ma need a lot more length. Look at all that shrinkage! :cry3: :lol: I'ma try to make it to my birthday at least, maybe I'll get a spring growth spurt.

Britt

Thank y'all! I love it too, it's just what I imagined. :love3:

But I'm sorry @Britt, I'ma need a lot more length. Look at all that shrinkage! :cry3: :lol: I'ma try to make it to my birthday at least, maybe I'll get a spring growth spurt.

Honey Bee Awww lol! Well you've been hanging in quite a while already so keep on going. Shrinkage is a beast.

H0tPinkButtafly

I'm thinking about big chopping in the summer. I'll be about 20 months post and maybe enough natural hair I'll feel comfortable enough to cut the relax ends off

sharifeh

I'm like 16.5 months post - I'm almost at the point where you chopped Britt

I have my hair cut into a bob and there are no more relaxed ends in the back
There is still a lot of relaxed hair in the front- which I'm guessing is going to take awhile to grow out- when my hair is wet the relaxed hair just looks like sparse strings....

Hopefully I can wear my hair straight or stretched until the natural hair is at a length I'm comfortable with- shrinkage does scare me :look:

PlainJane

Now that I'm 1 year post, bunning doesn't work for me unless my hair is straight prior to bunning. The pulling I'm doing to get a decent looking bun is causing too much tension on my edges and crown. I also noticed breakage near where I place the pony tail holder. I'm going to try another rollerset to see how smooth I can get my hair. Practice makes perfect so hopefully I can have it down before I chop next year.

shyekiera

My original goal was to chop at the new year, but now since managing my hair has gotten easier, i just might change my mind. ..

GettingKinky

I told myself I would chop off my bonelaxed ends in January. I'm not sure if I'm going to follow through. I'm too chicken to chop off 3 inches.