• Bra Strap Length

Votes: 655 41.0%
  • Mid-Back Length

Votes: 314 19.6%
  • Tailbone Length

Votes: 59 3.7%

• Total voters

KiniKakes

I know this topic has been done before in the past, but I did a search and could NOT find the thread anywhere! So i figured it was time for an updated poll!

When you see hair on this forum, and when you see ladies in the street, at what length do you officially say "That woman has long hair"?

I would have to say that I "officially" consider hair long when it is Mid-Back length. However, I have some exceptions: I think it depends on hair texture. For ladies who have thicker/fuller heads of hair, BSL looks very long. But for those who are fine-haired (like myself) BSL doesnt look as long.... and i see it as long once its Mid-Back.

Also, the amount of hair touching this point makes a difference. If your hair grows in a V-shape and only the tip of the V is touching the top of your bra, I dont consider that BSL, and thus I dont consider it "long."

What about you....? And why?

**EDIT** That last poll choice should be Waist Length. I totally forgot about that one and skipped straight to Tailbone. If your answer is WL then please vote Tailbone Length instead.

Last edited:
Full armpit length hair. If the sides aren't armpit length yet then I don't consider it long.

Of course anything past that is long to me.

Tee

I voted Bra-Strap but to most people APL is long. I think us LHCFer's have higher expectation. :)

breezy

I think full even armpit or longeris long. But when it's layered (like my stupid hair!) it doesn't look as long until around BSL.

Doll

I never even acknowledge a woman's hair as being long (mine included) until it reaches at least BSL. That is the only time it catches my eye.

KiniKakes

Letitia said:
I voted Bra-Strap but to most people APL is long. I think us LHCFer's have higher expectation. :)

Yeah I agree with this! Long hair has become so common on this site.... but in "the real world" folks seem to have a different criteria.

remnant

KiniKakes said:
I know this topic has been done before in the past, but I did a search and could NOT find the thread anywhere! So i figured it was time for an updated poll!

When you see hair on this forum, and when you see ladies in the street, at what length do you officially say "That woman has long hair"?

I would have to say that I "officially" consider hair long when it is Mid-Back length. However, I have some exceptions: I think it depends on hair texture. For ladies who have thicker/fuller heads of hair, BSL looks very long. But for those who are fine-haired (like myself) BSL doesnt look as long.... and i see it as long once its Mid-Back.
Also, the amount of hair touching this point makes a difference. If your hair grows in a V-shape and only the tip of the V is touching the top of your bra, I dont consider that full BSL, and thus I dont consider it "long."

KiniKakes, I voted Mid-back but I think full Bra strap hair looks long to me! By the way I totally agree with you:) !

Last edited:

Kimberly

I have the "hair anorexia" so anything longer than mine, is long to me....so I couldn't vote because my twisted notion was not an option.

KiniKakes

Doll said:
I never even acknowledge a woman's hair as being long (mine included) until it reaches at least BSL. That is the only time it catches my eye.

Yeah me too (actually Mid-Back length for me).

BUT this has only happened since joining LHCF and since my hair has gotten longer. In the past, I think i viewed APL as long.... and then BSL as long..... I notice that the longer my own hair gets, the higher I raise the bar. :ohwell: So my "standards" for what qualifies as long hair has gotten increasingly more rigid/stringent! :lol:

ccd

What is Mid Back length vs. Bra Strap....isn' that the same thing?

I voted BSL, I think that is a fair place to start but unfortunately because most people think Black women can't have long hair the standard gets lower.

KiniKakes

ccd said:
What is Mid Back length vs. Bra Strap....isn' that the same thing?

I voted BSL, I think that is a fair place to start but unfortunately because most people think Black women can't have long hair the standard gets lower.

Mid-Back length is between BSL and Waist Length. Mid-Back Length is usually a couple of inches past BSL.

MizaniMami

KiniKakes said:

Also, the amount of hair touching this point makes a difference. If your hair grows in a V-shape and only the tip of the V is touching the top of your bra, I dont consider that full BSL, and thus I dont consider it "long."

**EDIT** That last poll choice should be Waist Length. I totally forgot about that one and skipped straight to Tailbone. If your answer is WL then please vote Tailbone Length instead.

Great question Kini,

I picked BraStrap length. For me anyways. I am a few inches from BSL and my sis thinks I have long hair.:look:

Proudpiscean

I voted mid-back! I agree that texture (fine vs. coarse) does make a difference in the appearance, also when hair is bra-strap length and it's in high pony tail it doesn't really appear that long, but it does when it's midback length in a pony tail- figured I'd cover all the bases :lol:

ETA: I like pony tails and I want my hair to still 'look' long in a pony tail :)!

Last edited:

Eiano

I voted Mid-back.. Obviously tail-bone is longer, it's just not somewere I'd want to go with my hair. :nono:

Tee

KiniKakes said:
Yeah I agree with this! Long hair has become so common on this site.... but in "the real world" folks seem to have a different criteria.

I am glad I am not the only one looking through the Rose Colored LHCF glasses. lol People (Non LHCF) say all the time this is long and that is long. People think I am crazy when I say, My hair is not long yet. I am running at average. lol

Denim And Leather

I chose BSL. And I agree that for ladies with thicker hair, BSL is definitely long, but since I have fine hair and don't have a lot of it, I won't consider my hair "long" at bra strap.

I was under the impression that full bra strap is when your hair covers the bra strap (right now my hair touches the top of it.) My hair grows in a V shape, and the part that touches the bra strap is the back part, the front parts are barely APL, but nonetheless, once the back of my hair covers my bra strap, I will still consider my hair BSL, though I still won't consider it long until I probably reach mid back.

KiniKakes

Denim And Leather said:
My hair grows in a V shape, and the part that touches the bra strap is the back part, the front parts are barely APL, but nonetheless, once the back of my hair covers my bra strap, I will still consider my hair BSL, though I still won't consider it long until I probably reach mid back.

Yes, I agree with this as well. Maybe i worded my statement wrong. But the front of my hair is relatively short when compared to the back. I dont think hair necessarily has to be "full BSL or full Mid-back length" all around in order to be considered BSL or Mid-Back length. By the time my hair is BSL in the front, i will probably be close to WL in the back! :lol:

leleepop

Denim And Leather said:
I chose BSL. And I agree that for ladies with thicker hair, BSL is definitely long, but since I have fine hair and don't have a lot of it, I won't consider my hair "long" at bra strap.

I was under the impression that full bra strap is when your hair covers the bra strap (right now my hair touches the top of it.) My hair grows in a V shape, and the part that touches the bra strap is the back part, the front parts are barely APL, but nonetheless, once the back of my hair covers my bra strap, I will still consider my hair BSL, though I still won't consider it long until I probably reach mid back.
I dont know if it just me but I consider your hair thick or med to thick Denim....Anyhoo I think armpit all one length or long layered is long, but I know where everyone is coming from about the rose colored LHCF glasses lol. Before I LHCF I considered collarbone or even shoulderlength very long.

ETA: I have been on LHCF for over a year and I have hair anorexia in it fullest capacity. I beleive BSL to MBL is long.

Last edited:

Denim And Leather

KiniKakes said:
Yes, I agree with this as well. Maybe i worded my statement wrong. But the front of my hair is relatively short when compared to the back. I dont think hair necessarily has to be "full BSL or full Mid-back length" all around in order to be considered BSL or Mid-Back length. By the time my hair is BSL in the front, i will probably be close to WL in the back! :lol:

Oh, I see, lol! :lol: Yeah, that's what I thought you were saying, I get what you're saying now! :lol:

Denim And Leather

I do want to add that even though I think APL hair is not offically "long", there are women here who's hair is APL like Shunta and Leticia, and to me, their hair looks long, probably because it's thick.

Last edited:

KiniKakes

Denim And Leather said:
Oh, I see, lol! :lol: Yeah, that's what I thought you were saying, I get what you're saying now! :lol:

Nah, I was just saying that I dont consider it BSL if ONLY the very peak of your "V" is grazing BSL. :lol: However, if the majority of your hair in the BACK is touching BSL, i consider it BSL. I dont even count the front of the hair, because most ppl's front are shorter than their back!!!

cicilypayne

I know what most members of LHCF consider long, but to me if its just past shoulder length its long to me, meduim length is like neck length bob and short is anita baker, old halle, you know judge mableleen.

Denim And Leather

leleepop said:
I dont know if it just me but I consider your hair thick or med to thick Denim....Anyhoo I think armpit all one length is long, but I know where everyone is coming from about the rose colored LHCF glasses lol. Before I LHCF I considered collarbone or even shoulderlength very long.

Really? Well thank you, leleepop! :D But seriously, my hair is very fine. Here's a pic a few days after my last relaxer, I think this shows how fine my hair really is. Excuse the stupid scunchie on the end!

KiniKakes said:
BUT this has only happened since joining LHCF and since my hair has gotten longer. In the past, I think i viewed APL as long.... and then BSL as long..... I notice that the longer my own hair gets, the higher I raise the bar. So my "standards" for what qualifies as long hair has gotten increasingly more rigid/stringent!

ME TOO!! LOL! When I started here, my inital goal was BSL, but then I changed it to WL, and now it's tailbone. :lol:

Attachments

• Finehair.jpg
    Finehair.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

dynamic1

I voted mid-back. I pretty much agree with your assessment Kinikakes. Fuller hair looks longer to me sometimes because of the volume.

Denim And Leather

KiniKakes said:
Nah, I was just saying that I dont consider it BSL if ONLY the very peak of your "V" is grazing BSL. :lol: However, if the majority of your hair in the BACK is touching BSL, i consider it BSL. I dont even count the front of the hair, because most ppl's front are shorter than their back!!!

Yeah, that's true. I have to remember that, because I find myself getting envious of women here who's hair in the front goes past their armpit. :yep: