So when do YOU consider hair long?

Ladybelle

I thought I was doing something when I made SL, as that's the longest my hair had been since I was about 16.

If I had to pick, I would say anything past SL is long IMHO.

On the flipside, short to me is anything above SL. Especially in the AA community, most women I see IRL have short hair. I know I was so excited when I joined LHCF and saw pics of non-mixed AA women with LONG hair, it inspired me and still does to reach my longterm hair goals.

In my family, my hair is considered long because no one that is full AA has hair touching their shoulders except my sister, who has always had longish hair. And I think they're all insane. My hair is short (SL/CBL). But to me, I won't consider my hair long until I'm at least full BSL, maybe even MBL. But the more I think abt it, the more I start to feel that you're not really doing anything until you're full waist length.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Same here, everyone woman in my family, with the exception of my mother who is at apl doesn't have hair that is even cbl.

6 years ago I used to be damaged, shedding shoulder length and they all drooled over how 'long' my hair was. I could never grow it since it broke off all the time and I always wondered my asian and white friends could have hair down their backs.

And my relatives always told me, 'Be happy with what you have.' :nono: Yes and no...

I thought I was doing something when I made SL, as that's the longest my hair had been since I was about 16.

If I had to pick, I would say anything past SL is long IMHO.

On the flipside, short to me is anything above SL. Especially in the AA community, most women I see IRL have short hair. I know I was so excited when I joined LHCF and saw pics of non-mixed AA women with LONG hair, it inspired me and still does to reach my longterm hair goals.

That's another thing I hated; when my hair got to apl people started asking what I was mixed with or they assumed it was something 'other than black' that was the reason why I had growing hair. :nono:

Worst thing I heard was: girl: daymn your hair is long!'what are you mixed with?'

me: black and.....black (I know, I'm a smart arse :lachen:)

girl: really? nope I can tell you got something else in your blood.

this nonsense went on until we traced my ancestry back to my great grandmother who's black foot and apparently THAT was the reason for my hair growth.

(points to signature) SHE certainly doesn't look mixed to me!! :lachen:

Ladybelle

That's another thing I hated; when my hair got to apl people started asking what I was mixed with or they assumed it was something 'other than black' that was the reason why I had growing hair. :nono:

Worst thing I heard was: girl: daymn your hair is long!'what are you mixed with?'

me: black and.....black (I know, I'm a smart arse :lachen:)

girl: really? nope I can tell you got something else in your blood.

this nonsense went on until we traced my ancestry back to my great grandmother who's black foot and apparently THAT was the reason for my hair growth.

(points to signature) SHE certainly doesn't look mixed to me!! :lachen:

lol! I can see your frustration, to put in the effort & work it requires to get your hair long to only have it discredited because of something mundane like "you must be mixed!" I don't have to worry about that though, my skin is the color of chocolate, there's no way anyone would assume I'm mixed. Even though there is some Indian in my blood. :lol:

Goombay_Summer

I would say, APL is medium long but IMHO the true benchmark is now MBL especially when I realized that a person with no discernable white or Injun DNA could achieve this length but now that I am WSl I fudging that DNA and claiming that 1/200 white mixed with 1/16 Injun. Yes I am going to say MBL in the black community not only was it considered extremely long but I morphed into a mythological creator and had special powers an as a result I stopped talking to mere mortals unless they worshipped at my hair alter first.

Ms. Martina

As someone who has had long hair my entire life up until big chopping a few months ago, I can say long imo is at least APL. I think SL is short-medium and CBL is medium. However, I don't think people should place so much obsession on length.

lol! I can see your frustration, to put in the effort & work it requires to get your hair long to only have it discredited because of something mundane like "you must be mixed!" I don't have to worry about that though, my skin is the color of chocolate, there's no way anyone would assume I'm mixed. Even though there is some Indian in my blood. :lol:

The idea of not being able to grow your hair because of your race is bs. And even so many of my family members I know are stuck in their thinking. :nono: Even now, @ apl, they assume that's my maximum length.

Also chocolate skin is gorgeous! :yep: Men and women with the complexion just seem double sexy. :lachen:

bb09

As someone who has had long hair my entire life up until big chopping a few months ago, I can say long imo is at least APL. I think SL is short-medium and CBL is medium. However, I don't think people should place so much obsession on length.
I agree.......

LadyRaider

There are things short hair can do.
There are things medium hair can do.
There are things long hair can do.

I believe that once hair reaches the point that it can "do" the things long hair can do, then it is officially long.

What can't a person with APL hair do that can be done with MBL hair? APL hair makes a nice pony, a braid down the back, a bun...

anon123

I also think you have to take your statement turn it around and see if you agree.

If you think BSL or longer is long that means you consider anything shorter than BSL as short hair. That makes no sense to me, IMO.

:lol: That's not true. SL and shorter is "short," between SL and BSL is "medium" and after BSL is "long." I don't go by what salons say, cuz they're biased to call stuff long because they get more money if they do. :lol: Though blunt cuts do look longer, so if someone was blunt cut APL, I'd probably say their hair was long.

LilMissSunshine5

For me, full APL/BSL is long on others...I had hair between APL & BSL most of my life and most ppl around me thought my hair was long :) My mom and sister had BSL hair & my other sisters had at least SL hair, so those were my bench markers for length. Since joining this board, my line for long hair seems to be moving south LOL I'm SL/CBL now, but I probably won't feel like my own hair is long until I'm MBL or WSL I BC'ed in June & friends in real life keep telling me my hair is getting "long", but I don't believe them & downplay it! I blame the cult that is LHCF :giggle:

BreeNique

hmmmmmm, i'd say APL shrunken/ natural, BSL when it's straightened.

i judge my hair by its length when it's (technically) at it's shortest/ when it's tightly curled. that way when it's straight i can be pleasantly surprised!!

diadall

There are things short hair can do.
There are things medium hair can do.
There are things long hair can do.

I believe that once hair reaches the point that it can "do" the things long hair can do, then it is officially long.

What can't a person with APL hair do that can be done with MBL hair? APL hair makes a nice pony, a braid down the back, a bun...

Good point!

Beautytalk69

Damn, you ladies must of had long hair all your lives. I never ever g
Had shoulder length hair. So for me, that's long. When i make it and come in here all happy, don't piss in my corn flakes!

greenandchic

I used to think it was BSL. Now that I have BSL hair, it doesn't seem long enough. :lachen:

When it hits my waist, then we can talk. :drunk:

discodumpling

If i'm looking at someone elses hair anything beyond SL seems long. BUT because i'm a member of LHCF and because i've been past APL, long hair for me won't be till i'm BSL +:spinning:

Ladybelle

The idea of not being able to grow your hair because of your race is bs. And even so many of my family members I know are stuck in their thinking. :nono: Even now, @ apl, they assume that's my maximum length.

Also chocolate skin is gorgeous! :yep: Men and women with the complexion just seem double sexy. :lachen:

The bolded is so true, but some people have to learn that for themselves. And woo-hoo! @ the chocolate skin comment, :grin:.

I think it's interesting how some of you ladies say that before you discovered LHCF that you had one standard of long, and now you have a new one! :lol:

I guess since I grew up as the only AA girl in my class, everyone around me had super long hair. So my standard was always ridiculous! :drunk: