Why is it...

Devonte's mommy

that my cousin asks about how to get her hair longer and she just plain won't listen. I have told her about this site and others, vitamin regimines, spacing out relaxing time, washing hair more then once per month, moisturizing, conditioning and so on. I feel like i'm wasting my breath, but i don't want to act like i can not give her the advice. I guess some people will just not never listen.

Miss Montserrat

I guess for some people, its a priority and for others its an after thought. Some people love name brand everything and others are perfectly fine with shopping in the $10 store. With this and everything else, I say give them the info they need and move on. Once you've educated her you've done your part. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pebbles

Hi Devante's Mommy,

Some people are like that. At least you gave her good, honest advice. What she does with it is up to her. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Robin41

Ha, ha! I know exactly what you mean. Some of my friends listen and but some let their eyes glaze over and give you that blank stare and you know they're not listening.

That so alright with me cause come summertime when I stop wearing my hair up and reveal the length and healthiness I expect to have, they'll be coming to me with questions and I'm sure your friends will too.

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Devonte's mommy said:
that my cousin asks about how to get her hair longer and she just plain won't listen. I have told her about this site and others, vitamin regimines, spacing out relaxing time, washing hair more then once per month, moisturizing, conditioning and so on. I feel like i'm wasting my breath, but i don't want to act like i can not give her the advice. I guess some people will just not never listen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because like a lot of other black women that want long hair, she doesn't want to put the effort in. When i speak to people about hair now. I tell them that before I give them any advice and if they want long hair ask them are they willing to put the effort in to their hair and that it takes a lot of time and maintenence.

When my friends came over to my house they thought it was a weave because it had grown so much. My friend swore blind that vaseline worked well for her hair and when I explained to her that switching to oils on the scalp instead of petroleum, it seemed like she had trouble in thinking that the oil would actually work. The more I spoke about not using heat, she insisted that she wouldn't be able to wear her hair any different.

Some are afraid of experimentation. But I just tell them straight, don't ask me for any advice unless you are going to take it on board.

The common one is they don't have the time to wash their hair at least once a week for fear of drying it out. If they ever come at you with that one ask them what they do to stop their skin from going dry? Apply the same method of using moisture to the hair.

londongirl3

On the vitamin subject, I'm actually one of those people lol. I still don't do the vitamin regimen because I am not sure about the side effects. I do have one multivitamin pill which is designed for hair growth.

I do listen to advice but I pick out from it what I want to do. I don't think anyone should stop giving advice, because most people do actually listen even if they don't practice. Your actions will speak volumes and eventually even hard-heads like myself will try something new.

LondonDiva

Londongirl

May I ask which brand of multi you take designed for hair growth and ask how do you think it's aided in your growth potential, if any?

londongirl3

I use boots brand complete a-z multivitamin with minerals and iron. It has all the nutritional vitamins plus Pantothenic Acid, Iron, Zinc, Iodine, Copper and Manganese. All these are found in Keratin. The main purpose of the tablet is to encourage blood circulation and provide calcium. Inclusion of the compounds above is also beneficial to hair growth.

My hair has grown roughly 3-5 (3 with shrinkage, 5 when stretched) inches of natural hair since july. That was before I braided in December. I braided my hair in mid December and it's hardly a month now but I will have to rebraid my hair because it has grown nearly 3/4 or so of an inch and I have barely had the braids.

I am not willing to do a vitamin regimen because, my hair has always grown and I don't want to accelerate the growth at all. I am happy with the 6-8 inches I get in a year. I am more interested in learning how to stop breakage because that has been my weak point.

I am actually in negative growth now because I am cutting off my relaxed hair. When I take off my braids, I will have to cut off the remaining. I am not worried though because, this time next year, I will have 10 or so inches of hair.

Kitkat

I agree with LondonDiva. People want the longer hair, or at least healthier hair, but they're not willing to put in the time and effort that it takes. I know that people think I'm crazy to wash my hair every 3 days and deep condition for 15 or 20 minutes at a time. Everyone feels they're so busy that to take this amount of time on their hair is overly self indulgent. While I'd love to recommend to some that they eliminate the curling iron and roller set (or wrap) regularly, I know they wouldn't take the suggestion; they feel they're too busy. This is why I rarely talk hair with anyone except my sisters and you guys.

LondonDiva

Kitkat said:
I agree with LondonDiva. People want the longer hair, or at least healthier hair, but they're not willing to put in the time and effort that it takes. I know that people think I'm crazy to wash my hair every 3 days and deep condition for 15 or 20 minutes at a time. Everyone feels they're so busy that to take this amount of time on their hair is overly self indulgent.

[/ QUOTE ]

KitKat I feel you on them thinking you are crazy with 3x a week washes with the good looking hair and the /images/graemlins/shocked.gif reaction coming from people that need your advice. Fair enough I can understand to some 3x a week or 2x maybe too much but are they telling me they can't set aside a few hours once a week to maintain the health of their hair.

It's amazing how our mothers and grandmothers back in the day with like 5-10 children managed to do the hair in the same morning before school for each of the girl children as well as work, run the house and cook the meals. We live in a much more advanced age, but time for a lot of people time is still a factor. I think they use it as an excuse. I can't be bothered with people that want to know, but are not willing to take my advice on board.

Let's see how many will be taking out their pen and notepads when the hair is waist length.

Kitkat

It's amazing how our mothers and grandmothers back in the day with like 5-10 children managed to do the hair in the same morning before school for each of the girl children as well as work, run the house and cook the meals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny how back then our mothers and grandmothers had FANTASTIC hair! My mother had very thick, long hair (she cuts it to a teeny teeny weeny afro now) while taking care of us, and her sisters did too. That was back in the day when women got their hair pressed a lot. Amazing.

londongirl3

I have done the 3 day wash and condition and only ended up with breakage that wasn't there before. This was in May following a relaxer (l'oreal which I have used for 3 years). This was using Neutrogena healthy hair shampoo with no sls. I don't think the 3 day method agreed with my hair. I had severe breakage and ended up braiding it just to feel better.

I have and always will deep conditioned my hair. I have and always will pay attention to moisturisation.

I don't think that hair growth is due to one method only. I think it's due to a healthy diet, exercise and a stress free life. Hair growth can be accelerated by good hair practices and a high protein intake but just because I refuse to take vitamins does not mean my hair won't grow.

I find the information shared by the women here to be invaluable. I have never read so much about vitamins than I have in here. I do read most recommendations and I do listen to advice. I never take up any advice though without reading up more on it and this place is never short of information.

skegeesmb

I have a friend like that. Her hair seems to stay the same length, and she always asks me what I do to keep my hair lookin' good. I've told her, but she seems to ignore me. I guess since it takes a lot of patience with our hair, they might not want to hear the upkeep we do to keep our hair in the best shape possible.

What I've done in the past is give them the websites I frequent. Then if they are interested they can pull up those places anytime.

HOTCHOCOLATE

I believe that they do not want to hear about the time, work, and maintenance we put into our hair. They want us tell them about this MAGIC PILL that will grow 2" of healthy hair every month /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Jenai

So true! One of my friends asks me what I am doing to my hair, then she just dismisses everything I say. A lot of Black women still believe in ignorant superstitions concerning hair growth and care. If this were not true, then products with such names like "gro long" "good hair" or "not be bald" would not be so popular.

LondonDiva

That's what I said. When you tell them things like if all the products in the hair shops did what they proclaimed to do then we'd all be sitting on our hair? See what kind of a response you get. I got an answer for everything, they can't come to me with that ignorance anymore.

hairfanatic

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Devonte's mommy,

With people like her...seeing is believing. Maybe you need to show her a few pictures, that just might get her to take your advice.