WIG CHALLENGE 2009

MochaEyeCandy

ooo ooo!!! i want that one the long black egyptian one! i know exactly where to get it here in my city, thanks for the pic, it looks great!

my only problem is finding them longer than 14"....
Since we're in the same city, did you want to share that lil nugget of information please? :grin: TIA

BrooklynSouth

I wore a baggy-conditioning cap today beneath my wig was a leave in and oiled hair. Tonight my hair feels so great; soft, moisture laden and easily retwisted where it needed to be twisted with no dryness or ouchies. Moisturized again tonight with Nexxus leave in then oiled with amla and Keo-karpin oils. NYC was a bit cold today so the added warmth of the cap beneath my wig was nice too. Sleeping with baggy tonight, so eager for my natural hair to be ready for continued retention and growth.

aa9746

I wore a baggy-conditioning cap today beneath my wig was a leave in and oiled hair. Tonight my hair feels so great; soft, moisture laden and easily retwisted where it needed to be twisted with no dryness or ouchies. Moisturized again tonight with Nexxus leave in then oiled with amla and Keo-karpin oils. NYC was a bit cold today so the added warmth of the cap beneath my wig was nice too. Sleeping with baggy tonight, so eager for my natural hair to be ready for continued retention and growth.

I do this too and no one has a clue what's going on under my wig. :grin: I sometimes wonder if anyone can smell the conditioner.

Belle Du Jour

You all are rocking the synthetic LFs! I want to try one but the couple that I tried on in the store didn't look very good on me. :nono:

Everything Zen

Yay! I put a down payment on my first "good" wig! It's a Sensationnel Goddess 100% Remi Monofilament Top 1B!!! :D Looks just like my real hair when freshly relaxed!

Aggie

I am taking a short brake from wearing wigs because I am cornrowing/braiding my hair for the next 4 and a half months to complete my 7 and a half months stretch. So I will be updating as soon as I start wearing my wigs again. Have fun ladies.

CurliDiva

I had a problem of what to do with the ENDS of my cornrows under my wig. I just thought they were getting too much fiction being loose but did not want to plait them together (bulky) or sew them down.

I also noticed that the tips were curling up from all the moisturizing and I would have to rip them apart to separate.

Yesterday, I braided my cornrows straight back as usually, but then use a small amount of braid hair to make one braid out of all the ends - hopefully this will keep may ends protected yet let my leave-in penetrate easily. Also, since this extended braid is longer than my length - my cornrow ends are keep straight and can't curl onto itself!

aa9746

I've been researching lace front wigs lately. Some of the descriptions on certain wigs say that tape or glue are not necessary. I never wore a lace front and was wondering if anyone had any experience on this type of wig.

ResultsMayVary

I've been researching lace front wigs lately. Some of the descriptions on certain wigs say that tape or glue are not necessary. I never wore a lace front and was wondering if anyone had any experience on this type of wig.

Every wig i wear now has to be lace. Most of them are synthetic, but I don't use glue or tape they really fit well without them

On a side note ...
I'm tired of wearing wigs lol ... I've been wearing them since the BC in September, but I do not know what else to do ...
:look:

CurliDiva

I was at the BSS today, and many of the syn lace fronts (ear to ear)now don't need glue and tape. The lace area is about 2-3 inches but the rest of the wig has combs and adjustable straps so it is not necessary.

Also, the prices are falling! They has styles from $40 - $80.

CurliDiva

I am taking a short brake from wearing wigs because I am cornrowing/braiding my hair for the next 4 and a half months to complete my 7 and a half months stretch. So I will be updating as soon as I start wearing my wigs again. Have fun ladies.

Good luck with your stretch, Aggie! :grin: Drop back by anytime just to say HI!

aa9746

Every wig i wear now has to be lace. Most of them are synthetic, but I don't use glue or tape they really fit well without them

On a side note ...
I'm tired of wearing wigs lol ... I've been wearing them since the BC in September, but I do not know what else to do ... :look:

What motivated me to wear wigs was my mother's growth because she only wears wigs (her picture is in my 2008 fotki pictures). I get tired of the wigs but then I see my progress and it cheers me up. I'm getting more growth with wigs. :grin:

aa9746

I bought a new headband wig today and my first lace front :drunk:. The lady at the wig shop told me not to cut the edges off :perplexed. I'm not sure I agree with her because I could see the lace front. Now on to my next search for how to cut the edges off so that it looks neat.

isawstars

hey ladies... i've been on a 3 month break from wigs... i feel really bad. is that too long? i dated a guy back in february and was afraid to wear wigs around him (even though i met him when i was wearing one! lol). when we stopped dating i started doing braid outs... i'm now in my lazy stage of bunning and doing a wet & go with a pony tail. i would return to wiggin it out but i left it at home and i'm away in college til early May.

at the moment i'm trying to decide what to do in the summer. wig or sew in? do you ladies get hot in the summer wearing a wig?

Last edited:

ResultsMayVary

What motivated me to wear wigs was my mother's growth because she only wears wigs (her picture is in my 2008 fotki pictures). I get tired of the wigs but then I see my progress and it cheers me up. I'm getting more growth with wigs. :grin:

:yep: So true, you and your mother have had amazing growth, wigs are great protective styles ... I don't know why I am getting tired of them I have seen so many benefits :wallbash:

Maybe I just need a new one lol ...

aa9746

hey ladies... i've been on a 3 month break from wigs... i feel really bad. is that too long? i dated a guy back in february and was afraid to wear wigs around him (even though i met him when i was wearing one! lol). when we stopped dating i started doing braid outs... i'm now in my lazy stage of bunning and doing a wet & go with a pony tail. i would return to wiggin it out but i left it at home and i'm away in college til early May.

at the moment i'm trying to decide what to do in the summer. wig or sew in? do you ladies get hot in the summer wearing a wig?[/quote]

I just started wearing wigs in January. I'm trying to wear wigs as much as possible now because I don't know if I'll want to wear one in 90 plus summer weather. If wigs don't work for the summer I will go back to braids.

darlingdiva

I'm just checking in--I know that it's been eons since I've done that.

I'm still wearing my wig consistently. In fact, I'm braiding my hair now so that I can wear the wig until wash day. I have to select a summer wig, too.

HHG ladies!

MochaEyeCandy

at the moment i'm trying to decide what to do in the summer. wig or sew in? do you ladies get hot in the summer wearing a wig?
I don't think I'll be wearing a wig at all this summer, and if I do it'll be a super short style. I can't imagine how hot it would make me, and I'm not trying to find out either. It's all about wash and go's and puffs for me this summer. :grin:

Belle Du Jour

Thank you SS, I think you're right. Many ladies have nice full edges while wearing wigs, but then a few have a hard time with them.

Now that I'm wearing a full vs a half, I think my edges are better protected. With the half wigs, I would always worry about the comb and whether that was causing breakage. Now, I feel like all my hair is protected. The only thing that truly wrecked my edges was micros. I massage almost daily with BT or black castor oil, and my edges are filling in nicely.

Aggie

I've been wearing my wigs again for a week now. Right now I'm sporting a curly human wig by Beverly Johnson and it is soooo cute on me too.

Aggie

Now that I'm wearing a full vs a half, I think my edges are better protected. With the half wigs, I would always worry about the comb and whether that was causing breakage. Now, I feel like all my hair is protected. The only thing that truly wrecked my edges was micros. I massage almost daily with BT or black castor oil, and my edges are filling in nicely.

So happy your edges are coming back Belle. Yeah, full wigs work best for me too. While I'm at home I take them off everyday and only wear them when I leave the house.

aa9746

So happy your edges are coming back Belle. Yeah, full wigs work best for me too. While I'm at home I take them off everyday and only wear them when I leave the house.

Same here, as soon as I walk through the door I take off my wig before I do anything else.

CurliDiva

On a side note ...
I'm tired of wearing wigs lol ... I've been wearing them since the BC in September, but I do not know what else to do ... :look:

Hi NaturallyVoguis,

Please try to take time to learn your hair. Fake hair can be addictive, but try wearing your hair out around the house or for the weekends.

If you are really tired of wigs ...take a break and wear give braids a try.

CD

Belle Du Jour

What kind of wig caps are y'all wearing? I think I'm gonna replace my nylon caps because I don't think they're the best.