WIG CHALLENGE 2009

MochaEyeCandy

I might be taking a break from wigs at the end of this month for a little bit because my husband really miss seeing my hair. Any one else dealing with this while wearing protective styles?
My ex is always complaining about not being able to see/touch my hair. It's so annoying. :rolleyes: DUDE WE AIN'T EVEN TOGETHER NO MO! Go harass someone other P.Y.T. :lachen:

locabouthair

Is it too lte for me to join?

I just started wearinf my half wig this week. I'm kinda bored with it already...

Im going to try and stick with this for six months so the parts thats are broken off can grow back.

CurliDiva

I bought two new wigs this weekend :blush: .....both are ringlet/curly styles!

But, I also realized the 1B/30 is not the same color in different brands. The Motown Tress brand "30" highlights are darker than my other wigs. :rolleyes:

aa9746

Just finished week 3 with braids under wig. I'm going for week 4 and then I'll take out the braids to detangle. I hope I see some extra growth.:grin:

CurliDiva

Hi Ladies,

I have a question.....is there any good (without embarrassing) way to suggest to someone that it is time to REPLACE an old wig?

I went on Friday, and one of the ladies’ wig were just sitting on her head screaming HELLO (like a dead cat and I love my cat).

It was just old-looking, and stiff and dull looking.

Could I gently suggest that we go wig shopping together? or start a conversation about "fabric softener" soak to revive old wigs?

I realize that most women in Real Life are not up to LHCF standards, but this was really BAD folks!

p.s. it is not a money thing.....

Aggie

Hi Ladies,

I have a question.....is there any good (without embarrassing) way to suggest to someone that it is time to REPLACE an old wig?

I went on Friday, and one of the ladies’ wig were just sitting on her head screaming HELLO (like a dead cat and I love my cat).

It was just old-looking, and stiff and dull looking.

Could I gently suggest that we go wig shopping together? or start a conversation about "fabric softener" soak to revive old wigs?

I realize that most women in Real Life are not up to LHCF standards, but this was really BAD folks!

p.s. it is not a money thing.....

If you're friends or acquaintances, then simply let her know gently that you care about her and you only want what's best for her. Let her know that her appearance matters to you and that you don't want anyone talking ill about her. Let her promise to stay calm as what you are about to say may, but is not designed to hurt her in any way but to help.

Let her know how you are always impressed with the way she keeps herself, so nice, neat and clean but the wig gatta go sweetheart. Share with her how you take care of your wigs and if that doesn't work, simply suggest she purchase another one and offer to go with her to pick one out if you have the time. Let her know she'd look absolutely fierce in whatever style you think will be right for her.

Always compliment, then criticize, then compliment again to soften the blow. That's how I do it and it always seem to work that way. HTH and good luck.

Aggie

I'm only in week 3 of wearing my extension braids so my wig break will last another 5 weeks at least. Carry on until I return ladies:yep:.

locabouthair

Question: I'm wearing a half wig is a stocking cap a must? I stopped wearing it because it was kinda tight on my head.

I think the curlier wigs looks more natural or is just me??

Stiletto_Diva

I need to join this challenge. I just received my first wigs yesterday and I am in love. Wigs are going to be the way I make it to BSL

BrooklynSouth

I've been wigless since my Big Chop last Friday. I get ready for work, about to leave the house and feel as though I've forgotten something..:ohwell:my wig!! I'm taking a break for the next few weeks after nearly two years of good growth and transitioning to the BC. I kind of miss my wigs but I need to see what my natural hair can do.

aa9746

hey ladies... i've been on a 3 month break from wigs... i feel really bad. is that too long? i dated a guy back in february and was afraid to wear wigs around him (even though i met him when i was wearing one! lol). when we stopped dating i started doing braid outs... i'm now in my lazy stage of bunning and doing a wet & go with a pony tail. i would return to wiggin it out but i left it at home and i'm away in college til early May.

at the moment i'm trying to decide what to do in the summer. wig or sew in? do you ladies get hot in the summer wearing a wig?[/quote]

AA I just started wearing wigs in January. I'm trying to wear wigs as much as possible now because I don't know if I'll want to wear one in 90 plus summer weather. If wigs don't work for the summer I will go back to braids.[/quote]

So far wigs are still working for me and I'm not too hot. I go to the gym in my wig and it's an easy hairstyle that always look. Also, I like that I can baggy my whole head during the day:yep:.

aa9746

I've been wigless since my Big Chop last Friday. I get ready for work, about to leave the house and feel as though I've forgotten something..:ohwell:my wig!! I'm taking a break for the next few weeks after nearly two years of good growth and transitioning to the BC. I kind of miss my wigs but I need to see what my natural hair can do.

That's nice you are taking time to enjoy your natural hair. I've learned a lot about my hair since taking a break from heat this year.

Keedah

I cut new bangs on my latest lf and am loving it. So far Ive cut and dyed it for it summer.

The fact that its been raining every day in Jersey is helping me keep up with the wig challenge. I am not trying to fight my hair in this rain and humidity!

aa9746

I cut new bangs on my latest lf and am loving it. So far Ive cut and dyed it for it summer.

The fact that its been raining every day in Jersey is helping me keep up with the wig challenge. I am not trying to fight my hair in this rain and humidity![/quote]

I know how you feel because my presses or salon presses never hold in warm or humid weather.:nono:

mistee11

I've been wiggin' it off and on since January. It's been a year since I last permed my hair and I've had major issues. It seems that I am suffering with an autoimmune disorder called alopecia areata. Every now and then I get these areas on my scalp where there's coin-sized smooth bald patches. It's kind of hard to see if there is any hair follicles because they are in back of my head. It's very difficult to wear my own hair and impossible to style. I have resigned my self to wigs for now and it's kind of discouraging. I'm learning to live with it just the same but it's summer and those wigs can make me pretty darn hot!

locabouthair

I've been wiggin' it off and on since January. It's been a year since I last permed my hair and I've had major issues. It seems that I am suffering with an autoimmune disorder called alopecia areata. Every now and then I get these areas on my scalp where there's coin-sized smooth bald patches. It's kind of hard to see if there is any hair follicles because they are in back of my head. It's very difficult to wear my own hair and impossible to style. I have resigned my self to wigs for now and it's kind of discouraging. I'm learning to live with it just the same but it's summer and those wigs can make me pretty darn hot!

Have you been to a doctor?

swalker31

Hello luvies,
I'm still gettin wiggy with it. So the other day I was mixing up some conditioner and my sister actually said "why do you go through all this trouble making conditioners and then throwing the hat on your head, Your hair will never grow". I didn't want to get angry because she has no clue; Ignorance is bliss and I can't wait to see her jaw drop when I do my big reveal for my LHCF anniversary. I didn't respond to her comment and just kept mixing.

Last edited:

locabouthair

Hell luvies,
I'm still gettin wiggy with it. So the other day I was mixing up some conditioner and my sister actually said "why do you go through all this trouble making conditioners and then throwing the hat on your head, Your hair will never grow". I didn't want to get angry because she has no clue; Ignorance is bliss and I can't wait to see her jaw drop when I do my big reveal for my LHCF anniversary. I didn't respond to her comment and just kept mixing.

I hate when people are so negative. If I were you I wouldnt tell her about your hair goals. Just keep on with your regimen, and let your hair speak for itself :)

SelfStyled

Mistee, I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with this. Do a search on the board I know there are others that have overcome that type of alopecia.

aa9746

Since I've been wearing wigs 98% of the time I had to make sure I posted my update in this thread:drunk:

Attachments

• A P L july 09.jpg
    A P L july 09.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 7

Aggie

any half wig ideas for naturals???

TIA ladies

Have you tried a synthetic jerry curl one. Some of them are like shoulder length and some are a little longer than that. Check out my fotki protective style album for some ideas. In order for the hairline to blend with it, simply use some small rod curlers with some black protein gel and mixed with a little bit of slick or jam gel for added shine on your hair. Roll and allow to dry. When you are about to put on the wig, just separate each section of your hair until blended with the wig hair. Don't comb or tease, just separate with your fingers.

Aggie

I am not yet wearing wigs and have no idea when I will be because these boxed braids are working out so well right now. Anyhoo, I am not due to take them down until another 3-4 weeks ao I'll see what I'll do after that.

mamaceta

Attachments

• half_renee.jpg
    half_renee.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG00619.jpg
    IMG00619.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 17

shenitab

Here is my latest. It is a human/synthetic full with that can be curled. PM me for more information.