12 inches in 12 months - 2014

candie19

Re: 12 inches in 12 months - 2013

faithVA Hope your mom gets better soon. Hair is not a priority when it comes to mom.

I'm trying to get another inch this month. The 1st of July is when I plan to relax so I'm trying to get it in. I found this hair tonic here in Abu Dhabi called Kaminomato. It's a hair growth accelerator, I'm bored so why not try it. Lol. The smell isn't bad, I put it in a spray bottle for an easier application. I'll try it for a month or until it runs out.
Kiminoto

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 11

fancypants007

fancypants007 Just checking in. Still being consistent with my hair regimen, eating healthy, working out, taking my vitamins. Haven't been trying any new things at all because I'd like to get as close as possible to my year end goal without a setback. I keep my hair out of the way during the day and only take it down to prepare for bed (castor oil, moisturise and GHE).

Excellent! I also curbed my spending spree. I want to buy everything that would help my hair grow more, but I've slowed down. During this challenge one thing I want to stay consistent with is the Mane n Tail products. You seemed to be focused and on point. If we regularly keep doing something, the census is it becomes a habit after 21 days. So everyone, stay focused.

fancypants007

I'm checking in. I'm not consistent right now. My mom is not well and doing a lot of running around with her care. Until she is straight hair care will get what it gets.

I am drinking water but not as much as before. I've learned to stay hydrated even when busy.

I've been getting up extra earlier so I have missed most of my smoothies but looking forward to one today.

Doing 0 exercise or inversions. If I can't invert while sleeping it ain't happening :lol:

I am still doing fine with my supplements.

I am also daily applying the stinky stuff. It is pretty thin so I am going to put it in a spray bottle.

I can't wait to take these kinky twist out but I need to keep them in another week or two until I have time to do my hair. Not looking forward to trying to style my hair either :nono:

Sorry to hear about your Mom and yes you have your priorities in order. Your Mom comes first. Anyhow, thanks for checking in. What is the stinky stuff?

fancypants007

Checking in, still consistent on everything except my workout but I'll get back to it in once thins settle down. I wore a wig all week and GHE'd every night. it's nice not having to "do" my hair and just moisture and seal. Not sure if I'm going to stick with the wig next week or do a bun instead.

Thanks for checking in. I know what you mean about those wigs, and last week it was hot, hot, hot! I've been wearing a bun and will continue to do so until the end of July when I will put braids back in my hair. I will do them on and off every month until October when I give myself a touchup.

fancypants007

:hiya:I have been in a protective style since 5/4/13. I am 37 wks post transition and I am wearing 4wk old (every hairstyle is DIY for me) crochet puffy twists. I will install another set when I remove these. I will take these down on or after 6/21/13 when the schlyr ends for me (teacher).I will be 7wks post with this particular install and 41wks post transition. I am on my 68th straight night of the GHE and I have been using mega tek every single day since 1/22/13. I just added sulfur powder to my mega tek mix on 5/28/13 and so far so good! I do not plan to BC until Dec 2015 (I can wait). I am very very careful with my hair (and body) and treat both with the ultimate of care.

I hear you girl, those crochet braids are the bomb! I had them in awhile ago and around 7 or 8 weeks when they were ready to come out, they still looked good. Please post a pic of hair at end of June when we all will check in for length progress pic; not optional but if you can.

fancypants007

checking in
hope you ladies are well

I've been deep conditioning on dry hair with tigi dumb blonde reconstructor for 10-20 mins, then co-washing with a cheapie conditioner. before oil rinsing with vit e/sun flower oil and leaving in a bit of the cheap conditioner and sealing with a silicone serum. i clarify with shampoo once a week usually herbal essences balancing act clarifying shampoo. It's been working well, I've gotten compliments on my hair even though its not in any special style (just minibraids). I've also realised that i can use any shampoo, cheap expensive they're pretty much all the same.

I've been drinking my smoothies, although not everyday like i should. and I've been taking my vitamin supplements, I've noticed my body hair, eyebrows and eyelashes are much longer and thicker , I think my hairs grown an awful lot too. i've had these minibraids in for 2 and a half weeks. i was only going to keep them in for 4 weeks but i have an event to go to the first week of next month so they'll stay in until then (unless something comes up)

this week i've been slacking on drinking water. i'm going to make a conscientious effort.
i've also replaced scalp massages with a final rinse with the cold tap, refreshing and you get super shiny hair. i think i'll do both this week though

how are you ladies doing
anything new ?

Your regime sounds good. I've noticed some subtle changes too. One thing that I'm truly impressed with is when combing my hair, there are very few strands in my comb. I contribute this to the Mane n Tail products. This I am loving. I'm trying a new glycerin and aloe vera moisturising mix that I think is working out for me and I've added msm to it and of course eo like peppermint and rosemary. I spray on my scalp/hair in AM and PM and I love the tingly feeling that I get. Feels very good.

fancypants007

faithVA Hope your mom gets better soon. Hair is not a priority when it comes to mom.

I'm trying to get another inch this month. The 1st of July is when I plan to relax so I'm trying to get it in. I found this hair tonic here in Abu Dhabi called Kaminomato. It's a hair growth accelerator, I'm bored so why not try it. Lol. The smell isn't bad, I put it in a spray bottle for an easier application. I'll try it for a month or until it runs out.
Kiminoto

Thanks for sharing that product. I was ordering and spending money on hair conditioners, oils, etc. but I've decided to curb it for awhile and work with what I have. I ordered NJoy's hair oil and I stopped using it because I had some type of reaction. FaithVA suggested I diluted with some other oils and I think I'm going to start using it again that way this entire month to see what I will get. Let us know the outcome of the hair tonic, but it does sound good. I'm bookmarking it.

faithVA

[USER=337083 said:
JustGROWwithIt[/USER];18495315]@faithVA what is the stinky stuff? LOL

It is a scalp treatment by Komaza Care. It really is called Stinky Stuff. I know, it is a weird name. I don't know if it stinks or not. I have never noticed the smell.

footsie

My hair steamer came in the mail today. Yay!! So these box braids will be coming out on Friday. I'll wash and steam and DC and it will be put in cornrows for my trip the following weekend.

I was reading in another thread and low vs high porosity (something that news to me). From what I gathered I fall under high porosity (easily wet, quickly dries, does not hold moisture). Is steaming good for high porosity hair? Are you steamers high, normal or low porosity?

fancypants007

My hair steamer came in the mail today. Yay!! So these box braids will be coming out on Friday. I'll wash and steam and DC and it will be put in cornrows for my trip the following weekend.

I was reading in another thread and low vs high porosity (something that news to me). From what I gathered I fall under high porosity (easily wet, quickly dries, does not hold moisture). Is steaming good for high porosity hair? Are you steamers high, normal or low porosity?

I don't know the answer perhaps someone else can chime in. I try to incorporate into my regime once a month Roux Porosity conditioner before my deep conditioner to help balance any porosity issues I may have. I have a steamer too, and I tend to use it for moisturing treatments, and I use dry heat when I do protein.

footsie

I don't know the answer perhaps someone else can chime in. I try to incorporate into my regime once a month Roux Porosity conditioner before my deep conditioner to help balance any porosity issues I may have. I have a steamer too, and I tend to use it for moisturing treatments, and I use dry heat when I do protein.

Thank you. Someone else suggested the Roux Protein treatment to me so I'm going to look into it. Do you do protein treatment and steam treatment on the same day?

fancypants007

Thank you. Someone else suggested the Roux Protein treatment to me so I'm going to look into it. Do you do protein treatment and steam treatment on the same day?

I usually do a protein treatment once a month with dry heat and the other times I may use my hair steamer depending on what conditioner I'm using. Here is some information I found about Roux Porosity conditioner:
--------------------------------------------------------
How to apply Roux Porosity Control conditioner
1. Apply to the hair before a chemical service to prevent chemical shock to ensure predictable results. This also helps prevent overlapping of the relaxer.
2. Apply after a chemical service when additional conditioning is required. Leave on for 30 seconds, rinse out.
3. Apply to the hair in sections while detangling the hair with a wide tooth comb. This is great before shampooing. Let it sit for 5-10mins after the detangling process, then rinse out.
4. Apply after shampooing. Let it sit for 2-5mins. Rinse and follow up with a deep conditioner for better conditioning results (more moisture, shine and elasticity).
5. Put 2-3tsp of the conditioner in your deep conditioner for added slip, cortex protection, impart shine, and align the bonding of the cuticles.
6. Use as a final rinse for detangling, and smoothness, leave on for 2-5 mins, then rinse out.
------------------------------------------------------------
Chicoro who is a member here posted in one of her pamphlets the formula for using protein and moisture products. She stated:
Shampoo + Protein Product + Dry Heat
Conditioner + Moisture Product + Wet Heat

I hope this helps!

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen

fancypants007 What does dry heat mean? Under the hooded dryer with no processing cap. Or, can you still use a heat cap or the hooded dryer with a processing cap/baggy on?

I'm assuming that wet heat means a steamer. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Jewell

I like taking the gummy multivitamins. I also read somewhere, too, that they're more easily absorbed in the body than regular hard pills. I use the Spring Valley Biotin. I take 1 pill (5000 mcg) in the morning everyday with a Super B-Complex vitamin (Nature Made Valley Brand). That's just what I use and what I've found to work. I definitely wouldn't sleep on biotin. I find it helpful for both my hair & nails.

In my personal challenge, I gained 2 inches in 3 months so I'm hoping that the scalp massages and baggying help me get an inch a month :grin:

I take a gummy prenatal, and did while I was pregnant with my son, since they were easier to get down and keep down than my Rx prenatals. I continue to take them, and my son is 6 mos. I take a B-complex vit, bamboo extract, chlorella, calcium with Vit D, fish and cod liver oils, flaxseed oil, folic acid 1200 mcg or 1.2 mg, and biotin as my main supplements. They are for overall health, but benefit my hair and skin too. The folic acid I get by Rx since Im anemic, as they only sell 400 mcg variations OTC. I just restocked on my vits today. I have a few more to restock on soon.

Im buying a blender this week to incorporate more smoothies and protein in my diet. I'm starting a medical/clinical study with Duke University friday on the benefits of sulphoraphane contained in broccoli sprouts and their effect on the blood. It costs me nothing, and I want to get the health effects from consuming broccoli sprouts mixed into a fruit smoothie (you cant taste them this way). I hope I get some added good health, vibrancy, and hair growth from the study. Cant really hurt except for the blood draws to periodically test my blood. That will suck but I'll bite the bullet for the benefits! :yep:

P.S. The study is 3 months long. I will update you ladies on how it goes...if I notice increased hair growth/thickness or any positive effect related to our challenge, I will be sure to post. "Sulphoraphane is an organosulphur (organic form of sulphur) compound that exhibits anticancer, antidiabetic, and antimicrobial properties..." (courtesy Google) So for just those benefits, broccoli sprouts may become a regular part of my diet.

Last edited:

Jewell

I need to check into these vitamins. B Complex is very good for your hair. Have you ever took Brewer's Yeast which is loaded with B vitamins? The particular brand I use is by Swanson because it has a sweet nutty taste. I'm actually going to add some Brewers Yeast to my wheat germ muffins, (getting hair enhancing ingredients in one product). I will post the recipe soon.

Glad you mentioned this. Many marketed "B-complex" supplements are just pure Brewer's Yeast. Mine is, and I take Puritan's Pride B-complex. I think Brewer's Yeast is a great supplement, as is Bee Pollen...which I also take (Spring Valley/Wal-mart brand). I will be incorporating Royal Jelly and Acetyl-L-Cysteine into my vitamin regimen soon (I'll be getting some before the week is out). I used to take a free-form amino acid blend by Twinlab, and I liked it a lot. It's available on Vitacost.com. Our hair and skin need those amino acids and omega fatty acids, ladies!!

fancypants007

fancypants007 What does dry heat mean? Under the hooded dryer with no processing cap. Or, can you still use a heat cap or the hooded dryer with a processing cap/baggy on?

I'm assuming that wet heat means a steamer. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

I'm thinking you are correct. Dry heat is with hooded dryer, blowdryer etc. and wet heat is with a steamer.

fancypants007

I take a gummy prenatal, and did while I was pregnant with my son, since they were easier to get down and keep down than my Rx prenatals. I continue to take them, and my son is 6 mos. I take a B-complex vit, bamboo extract, chlorella, calcium with Vit D, fish and cod liver oils, flaxseed oil, folic acid 1200 mcg or 1.2 mg, and biotin as my main supplements. They are for overall health, but benefit my hair and skin too. The folic acid I get by Rx since Im anemic, as they only sell 400 mcg variations OTC. I just restocked on my vits today. I have a few more to restock on soon.

Im buying a blender this week to incorporate more smoothies and protein in my diet. I'm starting a medical/clinical study with Duke University friday on the benefits of sulphoraphane contained in broccoli sprouts and their effect on the blood. It costs me nothing, and I want to get the health effects from consuming broccoli sprouts mixed into a fruit smoothie (you cant taste them this way). I hope I get some added good health, vibrancy, and hair growth from the study. Cant really hurt except for the blood draws to periodically test my blood. That will suck but I'll bite the bullet for the benefits! :yep:

P.S. The study is 3 months long. I will update you ladies on how it goes...if I notice increased hair growth/thickness or any positive effect related to our challenge, I will be sure to post. "Sulphoraphane is an organosulphur (organic form of sulphur) compound that exhibits anticancer, antidiabetic, and antimicrobial properties..." (courtesy Google) So for just those benefits, broccoli sprouts may become a regular part of my diet.

Thanks, keep us posted!

fancypants007

Glad you mentioned this. Many marketed "B-complex" supplements are just pure Brewer's Yeast. Mine is, and I take Puritan's Pride B-complex. I think Brewer's Yeast is a great supplement, as is Bee Pollen...which I also take (Spring Valley/Wal-mart brand). I will be incorporating Royal Jelly and Acetyl-L-Cysteine into my vitamin regimen soon (I'll be getting some before the week is out). I used to take a free-form amino acid blend by Twinlab, and I liked it a lot. It's available on Vitacost.com. Our hair and skin need those amino acids and omega fatty acids, ladies!!

I love Brewers Yeast. Please post the brand of Acetyl-L-Cysteine you are taking. I'm interested in taking it. Does it come in powder form?

Jewell

I agree with HoneyA...an inch a month is definitely feasible, and even .75" a month is excellent growth to aim for consistently:yep:. I've noticed in the past year that my hair grows an average of 0.75-1.0" + each month. I say the "+" because the least I've noticed in the past year (May 2012-June 2013) is 0.75". However, I was with child from 03/12-12/12, and we all know pregnancy can increase growth and thickness dramatically since blood flow in the body increases by a good 50% by the last trimester.

My goal last year was WL by Dec 2012 or Jan 2013, but I made it late Oct. I went from BSL to WL from Jan to Oct, so 10 months. On me, that is nearly a 10" difference in length. My goal this year was HL by 12/2013, but I'm 2" or less from that as of mid-May. I tend to give myself extra time to reach a goal in case of setbacks and to avoid disappointment. I have a good 5" from where i am now to be considered tailbone length. I'm hoping with the changes I'm making mentioned in previous posts, I will be TBL by Dec 2013/Jan 2014.

I measured at 27.5" in early May, and I'm short and petite at 5'2". TBL (also known as booty crease length or BCL) on me is 32". I'll be working at being more consistent, and might begin an exercise regimen, as currently I do not exercise much. We can do it!!!

Jewell

I love Brewers Yeast. Please post the brand of Acetyl-L-Cysteine you are taking. I'm interested in taking it. Does it come in powder form?

Oops, I meant N-Acetyl-Cysteine, but there is L-Cystine available too. I havent bought it yet, but I'm eyeing NAC by Jarrow Formulas. It's kinda pricey compared to other supplements, but NAC is an important precursor to l-glutathione, which is an antioxidant (quite powerful). I believe the glutathione is produced by or stored in the liver...and alcohol and acetaminophen (Tylenol) can reduce the body's natural reserves of it. I try to take a variety of amino acids and get a lot of protein. I love Brewer's Yeast too.

NAC is important for glutathione production, liver health, and respiratory health, amongst other things.

Jewell

Your regime sounds good. We do all or some of the suggestions. Please tell more about seaweed chips? I know that kelp is good for you and your hair. Isn't this a form of kelp? What brand do you recommend.

Speaking of seaweed chips, the toasted seaweed sheets available at Asian grocery stores are just as beneficial. Back about the time I joined this board my Korean and Filipino coworkers put me onto them. The 2 ladies had very long, thick hair. One was mid-thigh length, the other was classic length. They were telling me it (seaweed) is great for hair and skin.

I remember my hair being in great condition and growing fast at the time. Shedding was nonexistent. Seaweed is something I consume on occasion, as well as a sea kelp supplement daily, and I LOVE sushi (kimbob not raw/sashimi due to my immune system). Im going to start consuming it a lot more. I would like to start making sushi at home...I sometimes crave it and cant be bothered going to the store or restaurant to buy it all the time.

Jewell

Ladies, sorry for all the follow-up posts, but im reading the whole thread, and as I go along things pop up that I want to mention. I just ordered a vitamin supplement called Paradise Herbs ORAC Greens Veggie caps. The powder form is also available. I'll be taking this for total body health. I used to take Alive Whole Food vitamin and I liked it...will order that again alternate since the 2 have slightly diff components. I just hate u have to take 6 caps to get the RDA of both of these supplements. I only took 3 of the Alive and liked it, so I'll do 3 and work up to 6 of the Paradise Herbs.

Got the Alive from Vitacost and the Paradise Herbs from Drugstore.com. Ok and im done posting for a while,lol. :)

fancypants007

I agree with HoneyA...an inch a month is definitely feasible, and even .75" a month is excellent growth to aim for consistently:yep:. I've noticed in the past year that my hair grows an average of 0.75-1.0" + each month. I say the "+" because the least I've noticed in the past year (May 2012-June 2013) is 0.75". However, I was with child from 03/12-12/12, and we all know pregnancy can increase growth and thickness dramatically since blood flow in the body increases by a good 50% by the last trimester.

My goal last year was WL by Dec 2012 or Jan 2013, but I made it late Oct. I went from BSL to WL from Jan to Oct, so 10 months. On me, that is nearly a 10" difference in length. My goal this year was HL by 12/2013, but I'm 2" or less from that as of mid-May. I tend to give myself extra time to reach a goal in case of setbacks and to avoid disappointment. I have a good 5" from where i am now to be considered tailbone length. I'm hoping with the changes I'm making mentioned in previous posts, I will be TBL by Dec 2013/Jan 2014.

I measured at 27.5" in early May, and I'm short and petite at 5'2". TBL (also known as booty crease length or BCL) on me is 32". I'll be working at being more consistent, and might begin an exercise regimen, as currently I do not exercise much. We can do it!!!

Thanks so much for those encouraging words. Sometimes we need these "pep" talks. In reminds me of the story about the little engine who kept saying.... I think I can, I think I can. Your words encourage us to believe in ourselves by saying I know I can, I know I can. We all know the frustration of setting unrealistic goals, but it's encouraging to know that this goal is reasonable. Thanks again.
Exercising is good and I trying to up my workouts too. Yesterday as I was working out I just kept thinking about the blood flow. This week I'm going to try some deep breathing exercises which increases oxygenation which in turn increases blood flow.

fancypants007

Speaking of seaweed chips, the toasted seaweed sheets available at Asian grocery stores are just as beneficial. Back about the time I joined this board my Korean and Filipino coworkers put me onto them. The 2 ladies had very long, thick hair. One was mid-thigh length, the other was classic length. They were telling me it (seaweed) is great for hair and skin.

I remember my hair being in great condition and growing fast at the time. Shedding was nonexistent. Seaweed is something I consume on occasion, as well as a sea kelp supplement daily, and I LOVE sushi (kimbob not raw/sashimi due to my immune system). Im going to start consuming it a lot more. I would like to start making sushi at home...I sometimes crave it and cant be bothered going to the store or restaurant to buy it all the time.

I never got my seaweed chips. On a mission this weekend. Is there any particular brand? How do you eat, just plain?