12 inches in 12 months - 2014

candie19

Re: 12 inches in 12 months - 2013

Hey ladies checking in as well. I went ahead and fully relaxed my hair the day before Easter. This was the best thing I could ever do for my hair. I tried being natural for 2 years. My hair stayed dry and hair stayed on the floor and I was spending too much money on products that didn't work. I texlaxed for one year but I still wasn't happy with my progress. I wanted more growth. In one year of protective styling, growth aids, texlaxing, constant moisture products my hair only grew should length to armpit in one year. I should have gotten more growth than that, so I'm trying the last resort- relaxing.
My stylist used Bronner Bros NuExpressions. My hair is loving it! It didn't burn, I'm retaining more moisture, and I already have new growth in my crown.
I'm going by the following principles:
- no heat styles
- finger combing
- hair off my shoulders or protected ends
- GHE every night
- overnight prepoo with oil day before wash day
- country life Maxihair vitamins

Products I'm using:
Joico shampoos and conditioner
PrettyWitty77 moisturizer on hair
NJoy's growth serum on scalp

Now that I can actually see my new growth I'm determined to make an inch in a month. Happy hair growing!

fancypants007

Hi ladies. Yet another check in after another hiatus. :ohwell: I'm sorry I keep disappearing on you ladies. Life is just hectic.

And because of that, I've been doing next to NOTHING to my hair. I've been trying to keep up with washing and deep conditioning on a weekly basis, if not within my usual 7 day period, at least within 10-14. And then it goes in a bun or whatever, in my satin cap and in a beanie. I know I said I would start styling my hair more but I just haven't had much time. Beanies are EVIL man. A very necessary EVIL!!!! lol

BUT! I got me some curlformers, and on top of that found a lot of jumbo flexi rods, so I might start stepping up my rollersetting game! I did a curlformer set and while it hadn't dried all the way through when I took it out, I felt it had some SERIOUS potential and I cannot WAIT until I try it again! It's not only that the curls come out so pretty, but it literally feels like I just blowdried my hair. My hair comes out THAT STRAIGHT at the roots. Like I flat ironed it and then curled the hair, I REALLY loved that I could get that look and feel with my hair without using any heat PERIOD.

Why didn't ya'll TELL ME curlformers was the shizznit!!!? :lachen:

I may start doing a curlformer set after every wash day. Mega easy to install and take out and they look just beautiful! I may be burning out this style for the rest of the year.

I DID do a length check and I really see that my hair has grown a LOT in the past 2.5 months. BUT, I'm not going to show you all yet. I'll post pics on here by August. Hopefully by that time, I'll actually be doing a REAL flat iron (finally) and we can make this a genuine reveal. :grin:

HHG ladies!

We're still updating to this thread right? :look:

The curlformers are very nice and I have yet to try them. I'm happy they worked for you. Can't wait to see that update pic. I have my hair in crochet braids and I am loving the low manipulation. Hopefully this will help push me to the next hair level. I will post about my experience so stay tuned.

fancypants007

Hey ladies checking in as well. I went ahead and fully relaxed my hair the day before Easter. This was the best thing I could ever do for my hair. I tried being natural for 2 years. My hair stayed dry and hair stayed on the floor and I was spending too much money on products that didn't work. I texlaxed for one year but I still wasn't happy with my progress. I wanted more growth. In one year of protective styling, growth aids, texlaxing, constant moisture products my hair only grew should length to armpit in one year. I should have gotten more growth than that, so I'm trying the last resort- relaxing.
My stylist used Bronner Bros NuExpressions. My hair is loving it! It didn't burn, I'm retaining more moisture, and I already have new growth in my crown.
I'm going by the following principles:
- no heat styles
- finger combing
- hair off my shoulders or protected ends
- GHE every night
- overnight prepoo with oil day before wash day
- country life Maxihair vitamins

Products I'm using:
Joico shampoos and conditioner
PrettyWitty77 moisturizer on hair
NJoy's growth serum on scalp

Now that I can actually see my new growth I'm determined to make an inch in a month. Happy hair growing!

Thanks for checking in. We all have to make those decisions. I made my decision some weeks ago to just stop fooling with my hair. I'm hoping this low manipulation will help me achieve more hair length.

I'm glad that you assessed your hair needs and addressed them. It's frustrating isn't it when you put forth so much effort and see very little or no hair length. The growth is there, but the length is not and I just don't get it. Anyhow, I'm routing for you and hope that your changed hair regime will help produce more hair length. Stay encouraged and positive because this challenge will continue.

faithVA

I had stopped doing my weekly checklist waiting on my doctor visit. Um, that visit was a mess and I still haven't gotten my results :nono: So to heck with them. Getting back on my checklist.

Tuesday
...Vitamins...check
...Water...check
...Scalp treatment....skipped
...Brought my lunch...(nope but bought a salad)
...Tea spritz...check
...Scalp Massage...skipped
...Smoothie...skipped
...Exercise...skipped
...Visualization...I need to get back on this

PennyK

Reporting in with my end of the challenge update. I haven't been checking in here like I would have liked to due to school, finals, and work. I didn't get 12 inches in 12 months but I've definitely made a lot of progress and this is the longest my hair has ever been! The method I ultimately utilized was KISS but I probably kept it a little too simple. I wore a lot of WnGs for the most part and I know that I'll need to trim my ends and the SSKs along with it. But I appreciated being a part of this and I think it's helped in the long run.

My starting pic on May 3, 2013

My progress pic on May 4, 2014

candie19

Congrats PennyK you are an inspiration!!!!! Your pic gave me life! We need to keep this thread going!

fancypants007

I had stopped doing my weekly checklist waiting on my doctor visit. Um, that visit was a mess and I still haven't gotten my results :nono: So to heck with them. Getting back on my checklist.

Tuesday
...Vitamins...check
...Water...check
...Brought my lunch...(nope but bought a salad)
...Tea spritz...check
...Scalp Massage...skipped
...Smoothie...skipped
...Exercise...skipped

Thanks for checking in. Doctor visits are something else. I didn't get my results when I went the beginning of the year to get test done. I had to get another test done recently, and I brought it to their attention that I never got results for the test I had done in January. They claimed they sent it out but I never received it. No news is good news so they say, but I still want to know. I hope you get your results soon

fancypants007

Reporting in with my end of the challenge update. I haven't been checking in here like I would have liked to due to school, finals, and work. I didn't get 12 inches in 12 months but I've definitely made a lot of progress and this is the longest my hair has ever been! The method I ultimately utilized was KISS but I probably kept it a little too simple. I wore a lot of WnGs for the most part and I know that I'll need to trim my ends and the SSKs along with it. But I appreciated being a part of this and I think it's helped in the long run.

My starting pic on May 3, 2013

My progress pic on May 4, 2014

You go girl. Glad that you got results and happy that you were part of this challenge. Your results inspire all of us to continue plugging along. Even though this challenge has ended, we still want to continue with it. I contacted the moderators to change date from 2013 to 2014 and we're still waiting for update. Oh well. We will continue to post here in this thread. Congratulations again on your fantastic progress!

fancypants007

Congrats PennyK you are an inspiration!!!!! Your pic gave me life! We need to keep this thread going!

I agree, let's keep it going.

I have renewed enthusiasm and looking forward to moving forward to gain additional inches. Let's say encouraged, motivated and supportive.

fancypants007

Hello everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well. I wanted to give results of my crochet braid install which was done a week ago yesterday. I'm loving the low manipulation. I got the Presto curl but I don't think I will be purchasing this hair again. It gets too frizzy.

Overall I am happy with it. The girl used two packs of hair and I used another 1/2 pack to fill in gaps. I told her I didn't want it bulky or bushy which is why she used only 2 packs. I oil my scalp at least 2-3 times a week and spray my natural hair with braid spray. The girl advised me against washing the synthetic hair, but I've seen YouTube videos where ones have washed it. I will plait the synthetic hair and concentrate on washing my scalp. I don't want to neglect my hair while in crochet braids.

I started up with healthy eating, inversion, exercising, taking my supplement etc. I'm hoping that this method will help me achieve some good hair length. Oh I didn't tell you. Before my crochet install, I cut off 3 inches of my hair. Besides the right side was a little longer than left side, so now both sides are even.

Since I'm planning on keeping these crochet braids in for about a year, I didn't think it hurt. My hair was about MBL, now it's BSL. I do love crochet braids because they are cute and they really are a low manipulation and protective style. I'm hoping I will get some additional length.

I haven't posted in awhile, but I'm constantly thinking of your ladies and the effort you're putting forth. Hang in there because this challenge is going forward in 2014, 2015, and beyond. Stay positive and encouraged. We may not get the 12 inches, but trying to achieve this goal is so much fun. I was a little discouraged a few months ago, but now I have renewed enthusiasm and I am focusing on what's ahead, hoping for success. We can do this ladies. Let's stay supportive!

PennyK

Thank you! Thank you! It helped to have people to check in with and have some accountability. Even if it wasn't that often.

You go girl. Glad that you got results and happy that you were part of this challenge. Your results inspire all of us to continue plugging along. Even though this challenge has ended, we still want to continue with it. I contacted the moderators to change date from 2013 to 2014 and we're still waiting for update. Oh well. We will continue to post here in this thread. Congratulations again on your fantastic progress!

Thank you! I really think the challenged helped me to avoid neglecting my hair. As I said before, my hair has never been this long in my adult life and even though I still need to trim it, it'll still reflect more retention compared to years past.

Thank all of you ladies!

fancypants007

Hello everyone, another week has come and gone. I do not have much to report. I may not post as often, but I do watch this thread almost every day. I'm happy that some of you want to keep this thread going. Encouragement, support and inspiring pics of success keeps all of us motivated.

I'm still loving my crochet braids. I have to do nothing to my hair but shake and fluff in the morning. I try to oil my scalp at least 3 times a week. My stylist advised against washing my hair because of the synthetic hair, but I think I'm going to wash my scalp only with the hair plaited up this weekend. I've decided to condition my hair using an oil and water mix sprayed directly on my natural hair. I will try to do this lightly at least 3-4 times a week, just to keep the hair from drying out.

I'm trying to do the GHE everyday, but lately it's only be once or twice. I have to improve because I know this will help keep hair moist. I'm taking my hair supplement and exercising regularly, but I still have to work on eating healthy, taking my water, doing my inversion method, etc.

I will be taking these crochet's out around the end of June, first week in July and after clarifying, deep conditioning, etc. I will be putting the crochets right back into my hair. I'm hoping this low manipulation will work wonders in helping me retain length.

I hope all of you will continue to stay focus. This hair journey is challenging for some of us and can last for a long time before we reach some of our goals. This is the attitude I'm starting to develop. Rome was not build overnight. Others have already met their hair goals and I applaude you. Let's all of us continue to be positive and support one another as we move forward with this challenge.

faithVA

Let's see if I can get back on track here.

Tuesday
...Vitamins...check
...Water...check
...Brought my lunch...check
...Tea spritz...check
...Scalp Massage...forgot
...Smoothie...check
...Exercise...check

HanaKuroi

faithVA said:
Let's see if I can get back on track here.

Tuesday
...Vitamins...check
...Water...check
...Tea spritz...check
...Smoothie...check
...Exercise...check

I need to actually start!

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

faithVA

Wednesday
...Vitamins...check
...Water...check
...Tea spritz...check
...Smoothie...check
...Exercise...nope
...Visualization...nope

felic1

I want to have some crochet braids installed here in Detroit. I think it will be a good alternative!!

fancypants007

I want to have some crochet braids installed here in Detroit. I think it will be a good alternative!!

I'm loving my crochet braids because they are low manipulation and easy, easy, easy to take care of. I also like the fact that it's not too stressful on my hair and scalp, and I can easily get to my scalp to clean, oil, massage, etc.

I spray my natural hair with oil and water mix to moisturize, and I put on my plastic cap for GHE and in the morning my hair is so moisturized. I just shake, fluff and go. I can see new growth, but I have to up my eating healthy and inversion for even greater results.

I hope you find someone in Detroit that can do them for you.

caliscurls

Checking in. My hair is doing great in spite of my need to be a PJ. I've been rotating products every month or every 3 weeks though so I guess that's semi-consistent :)

Still keeping my hair in buns or twisted updo styles. Curlformer sets on occasion and they look so cute but my hair behaves and feels better with direct heat. Im going to keep experimenting with the curlformers. I think I need to finger comb them into just a couple of large Bantu knots or flat twists after day one to keep my ends from tangling so much.

As for my up dos, even with the curlformer sets, my flexi-8s are my new best friend. No need for bands or hair ties.

Yesterday makes me 14 months post my last relaxer, I'm shooting for at least 20 months before I cut the rest of the relaxed ends off.

fancypants007

Checking in. My hair is doing great in spite of my need to be a PJ. I've been rotating products every month or every 3 weeks though so I guess that's semi-consistent :)

Still keeping my hair in buns or twisted updo styles. Curlformer sets on occasion and they look so cute but my hair behaves and feels better with direct heat. Im going to keep experimenting with the curlformers. I think I need to finger comb them into just a couple of large Bantu knots or flat twists after day one to keep my ends from tangling so much.

As for my up dos, even with the curlformer sets, my flexi-8s are my new best friend. No need for bands or hair ties.

Yesterday makes me 14 months post my last relaxer, I'm shooting for at least 20 months before I cut the rest of the relaxed ends off.

Glad that things are going well for you. You must be going natural? That thought is crossing my mind more and more. I have been natural several times and I always go back to relaxer. But those natural styles are sooo cute.
I haven't been here in awhile, but I frequent this thread a lot. Thanks for checking in.

fancypants007

Hello everyone,

I haven't been here for it seems a long time. One reason, is I have been so busy at work. Anyhow I wanted to check in. Everything is going fine with my hair, at least I hope it is. I'm still in crochet braids and it's been 5 weeks. They still look good, but I have lots of new growth. My problem, is retaining what I grow. I won't be taking them down until the end of June, but I want to put crochet right back in. I think I'm going to try the Anthony dickey method, using lots of Eden coconut cleansing conditioner and mixed chicks deep conditioner. I will see what happens.

I stopped oiling my scalp and try to keep my natural hair moisturized by using an oil and water mix and alternating it with Mane and Tail detangler. I also do GHE at least 3-4 times a week. I try to cleanse my scalp with witch hazel or baby wipes. I cut off my scraggly ends (about 3 inch worth) before I got crochet braids. I'm hoping low manipulation is my answer to retaining length.

I'm going to a different girl to get my crochet install sometime in July. I hope she will do a better job than this last girl. This is my go to style and I want to keep them in for at least a year. I just fluff and shake in the morning and I'm good to go. I love this style and it is so cute besides.

Just wanted to let everyone know, I'm still here. I hope everyone else is doing fine. I had setbacks, but I'm not giving up. I'm experiencing a renewed attitude about growing hair. For me, it seems like it's taking a minute, but probably it was me, who was making it that way. I will assess my take down in a couple of weeks, and check in to share my progress. Stay motivated everyone and positive and by no means, do not give up!

caliscurls

Glad that things are going well for you. You must be going natural? That thought is crossing my mind more and more. I have been natural several times and I always go back to relaxer. But those natural styles are sooo cute. I haven't been here in awhile, but I frequent this thread a lot. Thanks for checking in.
Yeah I'm the opposite :) have been relaxed a few times but always go back to natural. Hopefully this is the last time I switch fences. The reasons I go back haven't changed, lol.

fancypants007

Yeah I'm the opposite :) have been relaxed a few times but always go back to natural. Hopefully this is the last time I switch fences. The reasons I go back haven't changed, lol.

I'm glad for you. I visited NJoy's website and she had a pic of her hair flat ironed and her hair is off the chain. It looks so thick. I'm thinking about maybe...... natural.... I'm planning on keeping crochet braids in my hair for about a year and I wasn't planning on doing a touchup until the end of that year. I believe NJoy went about 17 months without a relaxer and then she cut off her relaxed ends. I don't know if I will, just something to think about. But I'm happy for you. Keep up the good work!

caliscurls

Hello everyone, I haven't been here for it seems a long time. One reason, is I have been so busy at work. Anyhow I wanted to check in. Everything is going fine with my hair, at least I hope it is. I'm still in crochet braids and it's been 5 weeks. They still look good, but I have lots of new growth. My problem, is retaining what I grow. I won't be taking them down until the end of June, but I want to put crochet right back in. I think I'm going to try the Anthony dickey method, using lots of Eden coconut cleansing conditioner and mixed chicks deep conditioner. I will see what happens. I stopped oiling my scalp and try to keep my natural hair moisturized by using an oil and water mix and alternating it with Mane and Tail detangler. I also do GHE at least 3-4 times a week. I try to cleanse my scalp with witch hazel or baby wipes. I cut off my scraggly ends (about 3 inch worth) before I got crochet braids. I'm hoping low manipulation is my answer to retaining length. I'm going to a different girl to get my crochet install sometime in July. I hope she will do a better job than this last girl. This is my go to style and I want to keep them in for at least a year. I just fluff and shake in the morning and I'm good to go. I love this style and it is so cute besides. Just wanted to let everyone know, I'm still here. I hope everyone else is doing fine. I had setbacks, but I'm not giving up. I'm experiencing a renewed attitude about growing hair. For me, it seems like it's taking a minute, but probably it was me, who was making it that way. I will assess my take down in a couple of weeks, and check in to share my progress. Stay motivated everyone and positive and by no means, do not give up!

Hopefully the crotchet braids will help you with retention. Have you determined if your ends are dry, over moisturized, or splitting? Or is it just the manipulation? I had a little bit of breakage last month and I know it's because 1. The PJ in me and me using too many products. My fine hair just can't handle it. And 2. My bone straight relaxed ends can't handle curlformers.

When I used to wear braids and crotchet braids I noticed that in order for me to retain length the cornrows or the braids themselves had to be at least 1/2 the width of my finger. Anything less than that would result in breakage. Mini twists for example would cause me a major setback.

It sounds like you've got a good moisture routine going on though and have pulled back on the oiling. Crossing my fingers for ya!

fancypants007

Hopefully the crotchet braids will help you with retention. Have you determined if your ends are dry, over moisturized, or splitting? Or is it just the manipulation? I had a little bit of breakage last month and I know it's because 1. The PJ in me and me using too many products. My fine hair just can't handle it. And 2. My bone straight relaxed ends can't handle curlformers.

When I used to wear braids and crotchet braids I noticed that in order for me to retain length the cornrows or the braids themselves had to be at least 1/2 the width of my finger. Anything less than that would result in breakage. Mini twists for example would cause me a major setback.

It sounds like you've got a good moisture routine going on though and have pulled back on the oiling. Crossing my fingers for ya!

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I don't know really why I have a retention problem, but before my crochet install I cut off my scraggly thin ends which was around 3 inches of hair. I also was combing my hair almost everyday, sometimes twice a day. I thought it was OK because I was only seeing around 2 or 3 strands of hair in my comb.

Anyhow, I'm appreciating more and more, finger combing. Since I have crochet braids, I will not be combing as much, only during take down. You said something very interesting about cornroll braids. I didn't understand why my stylist braided my cornrolls the way she did, but I'm wondering if she took into consideration that my hair is fine strands and she braided my hair accordingly. She did ask me if I wanted the curve or straight back. She said the curve would be better. I just find what you said to be interesting.

I will oil my scalp 3 times a week and massage for about 10 minutes each time. I want to try rinsing my hair with water since it's moisture and then spraying my natural hair lightly with oil spray 2-3 times a week. I'm also consistently back to doing the GHE at least 4-5 times a week. This is what I'm thinking about doing for the next several months while in crochet braids.

I'm hoping that I can learn what I need to do to help increase length retention. Still learning and experimenting. Hopefully I will get this thing right, but I am not giving up. At end of month, when I take crochets down, I will report back on my results. Everyone, please stay positive and encouraged and continue to put forth effort to achieve your hair goals. I am routing for us all!

PureSilver

How can i get 6 inches each month for the remainder of 2014....Oh lord, i need a miracle supplement. I got 1'' in 2months, first ever so how do i increase that to 1'' per month for the next 6 months.

fancypants007

This is just my opinion, but it's going to take a lot of extra effort. When I first started this challenge I was getting around .75 every month which is still very good. But then it stopped. Probably because I was not giving it my all.

Certainly I believe that hair massages with some type of oil is good. I use to use a massaging tool of some sort, but now since my hair is in crochet braids, I massage my hair for about 10 minutes after I apply my oil. My newgrowth seems to be so thick.

Another way is keeping hair and ends moisturized and lubricated. Another is eating healthy, lots of protein, green vegetables, taking supplements like hair growth vitamin, collagen, MSM. Doing very little to hair, keep it simple. Protective styling is also very helpful as well as GHE. I'm doing the low manipulation process. I wore protective styles, but I was doing something to my hair everyday. With crochet braids, I just oil and massage scalp, keep natural hair moisturized, do GHE and leave my hair alone. I can't wait to take them out to see how my hair progressed.

I think it's possible to get an inch a month. It's going to take hard work, effort and consistency and you should be able to achieve if not 1 inch, close to it. Perhaps others will chime in with their 2 cents worth.

Cheering you on girl. Hoping that you get that 1 inch a month in the next 6 months. Stay positive and focus.

charmtreese

How can i get 6 inches each month for the remainder of 2014....Oh lord, i need a miracle supplement. I got 1'' in 2months, first ever so how do i increase that to 1'' per month for the next 6 months.

I would love 6 inches in 6 months too. I added some extra things to my regimen that I started on June 1st to help me along.

1. Added biotin supplements
2. Added iron supplements (Dr. Suggestion)
3. Added more PS
4. Added coffee oil