2015 APL/BSL Challenge

PlainJane

I was playing with my hair while watching tv and found a few splits at the top of my head. Looks like I will be trimming again. This is going to be my third time in four months smh. My relaxed ends just couldn't take heat like I thought they could. I might give up heat completely in 2015.

Evolving78

I was playing with my hair while watching tv and found a few splits at the top of my head. Looks like I will be trimming again. This is going to be my third time in four months smh. My relaxed ends just couldn't take heat like I thought they could. I might give up heat completely in 2015.
my relaxed hair can take heat, but I won't be using heat until I at least hit Full APL. I don't plan on wearing my hair out, unless it is in a bun.

NefertariBlu

I can't wait for next month's length check. I'm really close and can't wait to see my true length when I straighten my hair.

LuvlyRain3

I'd like to join! I recently renewed my subscription and need to get my hair back on track

Current Length- in between apl and bsb

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning- Natural

Goal Month- I'll give myself until 12/15

Current Reggie and styling choices- I'll be wearing my hair straight until March. I'll do wash/protein/dc once a month until I go back kinky. After that I'll be cowashing every two weeks and wash/protein/dc once a month.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? I just plan to actually stick to a regimen and keeping my hair stretched (no more puffs!)
image-772151831.jpg

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Im going to use baby powder as dry shampoo to absorb some of the oil on my hair. My blowout is 5 days old and I have to make it last 3 more weeks

curls4daze

I "greased" my hair with castor oil today after I washed it. I think I scratched the back of my head too hard. It hurts when I touch that area. So I just put castor oil lightly on my scalp.

Leo24Rule

It rained today. I have been full-wigging it since Friday and will continue to do so during Winter. I just can't stand the itchies especially at the back of my nape.

LuvlyRain3

Now that I have pretty much mastered flat ironing, I have to say that I enjoy straight hair. I actually think it will help me retain length sense I won't have to detangle for a while

I'm also proud of myself for not going overboard on BF. I only bought what I needed surprisingly

kupenda

I picked up a bottle of bask Silk and Honey Latte. Very nice. Softened my crunchy over moussed hair very well. Smells good too. Plays well with Oyin Burnt Sugar. I think my hair likes creamy/thick moisturizers on dry hair best

I have a funeral to attend on Friday. Thinking of getting my hair straightened and trimmed. If I do, ill post it as my starting pic here

traceedeebee

Here's my response to the initial questions. This is my first hair challenge on the forum. I'm hoping to gain some inspiration and knowledge from everyone. I've only been actively taking care of my hair for almost two years so I'm still learning new techniques and what my hair likes.
  1. Current hair length
    Shoulder...I think.
  2. Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
    Natural
  3. Goal Month
    I'm going to make December 2015 my goal month to reach APL. This will be my first time ever growing my hair out to APL so I'm hoping that's reasonable.
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices
    My current regimen is pretty simple. Wash and deep condition once a week if I'm not in two strand twists. If I'm in two strand twists, I wash every two weeks. My scalp hates this.

My only staple product is Giovanni Direct Leave In. I'm flexible with everything else.

I typically wear low manipulation or protective styles. I prefer mini braids or mini twists.I don't like surprise hair when I wake up, and I've never mastered the art of sleeping pretty so mini braids are my favorite. I just realized that I can do a small bun.:yay:I used to wear faux buns, rod sets, crown braids or finger coils. I'll wear anything that keeps me from having to touch my hair every morning. I'm a little lazy.
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL?
    I have so many things that I need to change to make it APL.
    Need to practice finger detangling. I am really rough when I comb my hair. If I meet any resistance, I tend to plow right through it so 2015 I'm removing my wide tooth comb when I detangle.​
    Need to massage my scalp at least 3 times a week. I'll be changing departments at work so I'm anticipating that learning curve stress is coming up. I need a way to relax and do something good for my scalp.​
    Need to stop popping single strand knots. I'm not sure why I do this. I have hair shears. I will just pop them before I get up and get them. I guess that's just pure laziness. Note to self: Buy a small case to carry my tools so I have my shears on hand.​
    When I'm in a protective style, I need to get back to properly moisturizing my ends. I used to be really good at this. When I take down my twists, I'm noticing more single strand knots, and I didn't have this issue before.​
    Need to start back prepooing. This used to help so much. I'm not sure when or why I stopped. I could get majority of the ssks out this way so it's definitely coming back into my routine.​
    Need to increase the amount of water that I drink, workout, and reduce the snacking.​
  6. Post a beginning picture
    I hope they show up. The first picture is after I flat ironed my hair. This was my first time so I definitely need to research how to do this so my hair doesn't revert while I'm trying to finish. The second picture is just how I wore my hair after I flat ironed it.

Attachments

• 12-675D99CF-29286-1280.jpg
    12-675D99CF-29286-1280.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 12-A717E992-1082873-1280.jpg
    12-A717E992-1082873-1280.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 38

Leo24Rule

Now that I have pretty much mastered flat ironing, I have to say that I enjoy straight hair. I actually think it will help me retain length sense I won't have to detangle for a while

I'm also proud of myself for not going overboard on BF. I only bought what I needed surprisingly

Tell me, how did you master it? Because I haven't. What products/steps do you use/take?

beauti

I washed my twists this morning, moisturized, and sealed LCO style

Attachments

• 2014-12-01 21.11.40.jpg
    2014-12-01 21.11.40.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 58

kupenda

Abt to m&s with bask silk and honey latte milk and oyin burnt sugar pomade. Maybe do some flat twists. Idk. Wigging it next week!

LuvlyRain3

Tell me, how did you master it? Because I haven't. What products/steps do you use/take?

Leo24Rule The key is minimal product and the denman thermo brush (the two-sided one). I've had good results from roller setting and blow drying stretched hair. Here's what I do

1. I prepoo and detangle using naptural85s method substituting the cowash for a clarifying shampoo
2. Protein treatment (I use hydratherma naturals)
3. Dc with a good dc (I use alikay naturals honey and sage
4. I Do not apply any kind of moisturizer leave-in etc. (this seems to be key)
5. If I'm roller setting I use lottabody's coconut and Shea oil. If I blow dry Sally's gvp super skinny serum.
6. I flat iron in sections applying a very small amount of redken glass with my flat iron on 390-400 using the denman thermo brush instead of a comb.

I've gotten straight bouncy hair like this with no heat damage!

Make Sure you hair is well detangled so that the brush doesn't snag. You should be able to glide the flat iron in one pass. I use a croc classic flat iron and I love it.

PlainJane

Just gave myself a black rinse. Hopefully this helps give my hair some shine. My natural color is soooo dull.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Ooohh been thinking its time for same for me as well. Except I do the two step

How does the two step work out for you? Does it deposit color and if so which? Mines does but i would like a dark brown color instead of this golden color I'm getting due to mt numerous amount of gray hair. I've tried to add more indigo as suggested by someone before but it didn't work.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
How does the two step work out for you? Does it deposit color and if so which? Mines does but i would like a dark brown color instead of this golden color I'm getting due to mt numerous amount of gray hair. I've tried to add more indigo as suggested by someone before but it didn't work.

Helloooo!

It works great. I have a lot of grey too esp about the bangs and crown :nono:

Henna alone was making them too bright a copper. The indigo makes them more regular brown to dark brown. They blend in nicely with the black the indigo makes the rest of ny hair. It took a couple times to get it that way.

IslandMummy

Back from vacay and the list is updated.

Has anyone ever had a silk press? I'm getting one next week for family pictures and that will be when I measure my starting length for this challenge

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I'm dropping out of this challenge. I'll be BC soon I'll be back to square one for real!

I'm wishing you ladies super fast growth on your journey to APL/BSL!!

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

Evolving78

I'm dropping out of this challenge. I'll be BC soon I'll be back to square one for real! I'm wishing you ladies super fast growth on your journey to APL/BSL!! Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF
I'm so excited for you! You are gonna have a lot of fun with your new journey!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Helloooo!

It works great. I have a lot of grey too esp about the bangs and crown :nono:

Henna alone was making them too bright a copper. The indigo makes them more regular brown to dark brown. They blend in nicely with the black the indigo makes the rest of ny hair. It took a couple times to get it that way.

So do you henna first and then indigo after you rinse the henna out? I mix them together so maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.