2015 Hair Goals

SmilingElephant

I'm just seeing this post lol

I am hoping to reach Whip or Hip length by the end of the year. 12/31/15

I am also trying to get my nape and sides to grow out more.

I'm doing this by bunning, co washing every other day, trying to drink more water and green smoothies :) oh and using oils in my hair.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
*Update my brushes & combs to wooden. CHECK

*Replace all my store bought "satin" hair stuff to handmade real silk.
CHECK

*Purchase some new flat irons. I don't use heat in my hair often as I prefer a healthier route of using roller sets to get my hair straight. I just want more flat irons for variety when I do straighten. The ones I have are 1 inch and since my hair has grown so much, I really want some with bigger plates.
CHECK

***Moisturize my hair more often. Gotta keep these ends around!
CHECK...been moisturizing with a spray bottle of distilled water and argan oil then scrunching in a tiny amount of hair butter after.

***Full hip length hair
Semi CHECK lol My hair grows in a V shape and the tail just hit hip. Still shooting for full hip by Dec

*All of these goals are in the order that I'm working on. The ones marked with *** are ongoing through out the year.

It's been an awesome hair year thus far :)

SmilingElephant

It's been an awesome hair year thus far :)

These are great goals! That's great that you've reached them! :)

I feel like I should be doing more for my hair.

Like when I first started my healthy hair journey 7 years ago...it seemed like my hair just grew like weeds...but now...it seems to be slower...maybe it's age? Idk :look:

I try not to length check so much but I'm so excited it back down to my waist already...but I just want it to continue to grow like weeds :(

It's as if somethings missing.

I do remember I did a LOT of buns when I had relaxed hair....so that's basically all I can think of right now....and frequent cowashing.

Hmmm....:ohwell:

CodeRed

I have my regimen and my hair is thriving... This is the length that I want by the end of the year (from the Random Thoughts thread):

This year's hair goal:

BrownSkinPoppin

formerly NaturallyBri87
I'm just now coming across this thread :) Goals: Thicker hair
Waist length hair
Flat ironing twice a year

How I plan to achieve them:
Thickness
-Adding castor oil when I deep condition.
-Deep condition every week
-Protein treatment every 6 weeks
-weekly tea or coffee rinses followed by a deep condition

Length
-Manetabolism. I've been taking them since Oct and get about 3/4 of an inch a month. I did the measurements and can be at waist length by December if I retain my length.
-Protective style with wigs and keep my hair braided in a beehive underneath
-Continue to eat healthy and exercise

No Heat -Keep searching YouTube for new wigs for me to try. If I keep different wigs in rotation I'll be less likely to become bored with wigging it and won't want to flat iron my hair (I think I'm more of a straight hair natural).

*to answer someone's question about manetabolism. I had only tried biotin and ultranourish hair before switching to Manetabolism. For me, I don't get breakouts with manetabolism like I did with ultranourish hair. Ultranourish gave me huge cystic acne on my cheeks and chin. My skin had stayed pretty clear with Manetabolism.

Last edited:

ClassyJSP

My hair goals for 2015 are:

Full BSL (I'm slightly past APL now)
Protective style with wigs for the whole year
Maintain my simple wash days
keep my hair moisturized
fill in the two semi bald spots near my hair line

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I fell off a bit in maintaining my goals. Now I'm recovering and focusing on maintaining my protein/moisture balance and keeping up on my healthy eating.

naija24

DOUBLE POSTED!! Sorry.

But I do want to update my goals!

--full and healthy shoulder length!! I want volume over length.

Like Zoe Saldana's length below.

--two trims this year
--convert to a straight haired natural
--avoid damaging curl pattern
--marley braids from late May until early August
--Hairfinity regimen starting April 2

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
So far I have done 2 micro trims this year (1/2 inch). I will do my next micro trim in May or June depending on how my ends look after my next blowout.

Ajna

I am just now seeing this
At the beginning of the year I wanted full APL and that was kind of weird because the back of my hair was BSL.

Then I decided to hack the crap out it so it is just full and I did - it feels super short.

Now I want really full thick curly hair that even when it is shrunken. So now the goal is to have really well moisturized hair that has lots of curl definition that I really don't have to work for. All that sectioning and gel and formation I want that gone just literally wash and go and have it be cute.

As for length I want it to rest on my shoulders when in its curly shrunken state

toaster

Good thread! I've been going through my hair inspiration albums and trying to get a better idea of what my goals are.

Less/no experimenting in 2015: what I'm doing works. My products work. I just get bored and start reading the forum and want to try something new.

Stick to twist outs: I love the way they look and I wear my hair out more because of this.

Don't cut: I'm starting to get to the length where I realize long hair is a lot of work. The last time I made this realization I cut all my hair off and immediately started the grow out journey again. I'm probably 2-3 years from a waist length twist out so I have to suck it up and put in the work.

Participate more: I'm guilty of seeing genuine questions and not answering them even if I can. From now on, if I have the time I will try to help out someone else.

Hair goals:
View attachment 287303 View attachment 287305 View attachment 287307 View attachment 287309

View attachment 287311

Hmm... Thanks for bumping! I've definitely stuck to my twist out regimen and haven't been experimenting with products or styles as much. I wear my hair down, in a ponytail, or in a bun, and I'm loving it.

I haven't cut my hair and don't really plan on it. I may do a 1/4 inch trim in June if I can remember.

I've been slacking on forum participation but I like the new layout MUCH better so maybe that will encourage me to post more.

Still loving all those hair pictures.

Misseyl

I'm natural so in 2015 I want to:
Get my weight down to 145/140;
Grow my hair to collarbone when stretched;
Continue co-washing, deep conditioning, moisturizing and sealing my hair every day of the week;
Use a protein treatment every 6 weeks, and refrain from purchasing new products.

Update:
I couldn't stop buying products, I just bought $175 worth of oils and butters, and about $65 worth of As I Am products.
One thing I can say about myself is that I'm consistent. I pre-poo, wash and deep condition my natural hair every week. The oils, JasI will add Henna in middle of June.
I stop co-washing because I love suds and I didn't see my hair doing anything extra. Away from that my goal stays the same.

MzSwift

I've been stuck in MBL land for almost 2 years! :(
I'm getting my personal life back in order now it's time to refocus on my hair. I plan to:

-return to ayurveda
- PS at least 80%
-cover my hair while at home
-relearn my protein/moisture balance

My hair is currently still hitting my bottom rib bone. I don't expect HL by the EOTY but I hope to feel better about my hair by then.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
New to this thread. I'm natural with fractals/4c hair.

My goals:
--Do not adopt anyone else's hair regimen!!
--Curly fro: Continue my mission to moisturize which has already resulted in visible curl definition; use my steamer when deep conditioning; I also GHE on weekends which is how I got my first glimpse of curl definition; continue w/'Anthony Dickey' method
--Protein: Balance moisturizing with strengthening conditioner and biweekly light protein treatment to strengthen my hair
--Length: I'm at 4" now (stretched) and not concerned w/hangtime but would like to double my length this year and get out of this awkward length stage.
--Coconut/JBCO: Friday night pre-poos for strengthening and growth
--Sodium Bentonite Clay/ACV Mask: use at least once a week; extremely conditioning and results in killer curl definition

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I just want to reach Hip Length.

...and have no more than 4 or 5 products for my hair.

I was just thinking about a thread I responded in when I said I like to keep no more than 15 products. It occured to me that half of the products I like respond the same just smell different. My stash is super low right now and I'm really enjoying that...so I'm thinking of just keeping around the few items I have now and only re-purchasing as needed. I have 5 items currently but need to go deep conditioner shopping so that will probably push me back up to 9. Gonna stick to that number until the end of the year and re-evaluate.

Which products are you liking right now? @SmilingElephant

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My goals have changed yet again. I just want to maintain healthy ends and get to Bsl.

I really shouldn't have to buy any products for a while, because I plan to get my hair done at the salon every 2 weeks.

SmilingElephant

I was just thinking about a thread I responded in when I said I like to keep no more than 15 products. It occured to me that half of the products I like respond the same just smell different. My stash is super low right now and I'm really enjoying that...so I'm thinking of just keeping around the few items I have now and only re-purchasing as needed. I have 5 items currently but need to go deep conditioner shopping so that will probably push me back up to 9. Gonna stick to that number until the end of the year and re-evaluate.

Which products are you liking right now? @SmilingElephant

My favorite products seem to always be cheapies. I love the Trader Joe's Nourish Spa, L'Oréal Ever Curl line...the whoooole line. OGX. I also love Dominican brands like Silicon Mix Bambu, Miss Key 10 en 1.

My favorite higher end brands that I am a repeat purchaser of is Mixed Chicks line and I like the DevaCurl conditioners.

My favorite stylers are Mixed Chicks leave in and eco styler gel :)

BrownSkinPoppin

formerly NaturallyBri87
Finally ditched my wet brush and finger detangled after taking out my braids but before shampooing. When I was done shampooing I had VERY LITTLE hair in my shower. I've been using my wet brush for almost 7 months now and for the past few month I would have so many broken hairs in my shower that I could make a tiny ball of hair with them. The process of taking out my beehive braids (i'm wigging it right now) and finger detangling took almost four hours, which is why I never did it before but I really wish I had. I'll probably never use a detangling tool again.

This will help me with my goal of trying to make it to waist length by the end of the year.

mshoneyfly

-Do more tea rinses for shedding
-Wig it until April
-Keep hair stretched with 2 flat twists to avoid tangles
-keep hair hydrated to avoid breakage
-nail down staple products

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Just checkin'' in!
I did and am still doing wigs except for one week of a faux high curly bun. I will do crochet Senegalese Twists this summer. I am a PJ so staple products are unrealistic. I do have staple techniques, though.

Revised Goals:
-100% protective styling for the rest of 2015
-nail down my protein schedule
-keep hair stretched
-trim as needed

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Just checking in to update my regimen and goals. I no longer get Dominican blowouts. I have started straightening my own hair every 2 weeks or so.

I still plan to trim every 3 months. I am due for my next dusting next month.

I need to use up some products before I buy anything new (Con Argan oil, Aphogee 2 minute, Alter Ego, Silk Elements Mega Moisture).

My end of year length goal is still Bsl/Mbl.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
New to this thread. I'm natural with fractals/4c hair.
My goals:
--Do not adopt anyone else's hair regimen!!
--Curly fro: Continue my mission to moisturize which has already resulted in visible curl definition; use my steamer when deep conditioning; I also GHE on weekends which is how I got my first glimpse of curl definition; continue w/'Anthony Dickey' method
--Protein: Balance moisturizing with strengthening conditioner and biweekly light protein treatment to strengthen my hair
--Length: I'm at 4" now (stretched) and not concerned w/hangtime but would like to double my length this year and get out of this awkward length stage.
--Coconut/JBCO: Friday night pre-poos for strengthening and growth
--Sodium Bentonite Clay/ACV Mask: use at least once a week; extremely conditioning and results in killer curl definition

Check In:
--Staying away from other regimens
--My 'fro has gained the cutest coils around the perimeter of my head to go along w/the coils in the back from ear to ear; stopped strictly doing the 'Anthony Dickey' method and now almost always clay rinse before my daily WnGs.
--I stopped GHE as it began to cause 'webbing' at the roots w/killer detangling sessions, probably due to length.
--I began using conditioners w/protein low on the ingredient list as well as a light protein treatment biweekly.
--To get beyond this awkward length stage, I completed the Inversion Method earlier this month w/good results. I will continue this monthly for the rest of the year, at least. Next session, Aug 11th.
--Have not been pre-pooing at all
--Switched to using coconut water for my DIY clay mixes, but have recently been using Terressentials mud wash

In addition, I will be getting a hair analysis by the blogger of Science-y Hair Blog who sells this service on etsy as "GoosefootPrints". The blog has very good hair care info, so I trust the source.

mshoneyfly

Just checkin'' in!
I did and am still doing wigs except for one week of a faux high curly bun. I will do crochet Senegalese Twists this summer. I am a PJ so staple products are unrealistic. I do have staple techniques, though.

Revised Goals:
-100% protective styling for the rest of 2015
-nail down my protein schedule
-keep hair stretched
-trim as needed

This is a really good thread idea to keep track of whether Im still keeping up with goals and any important changes along the way.

-Still PSing with wigs
-hair is responding much better to the increase in protein. Im starting to see some length retention
-recently tension blow dried my hair for more stretch :2inlove:
-have been keeping up with my trims

Added Bonus: I now have a good list of HG products that I can find OTG :toocool:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I am currently rocking straight hair. I straightened for my Fall trim. I took off between 1/2 inch to 2 inches. My crown grows fastest so i trimmed the most from there.

Next trim will be in December. I am about an inch away from my end of year goal. Hopefully liquid gold oil will get me there and beyond

traceedeebee

My goal for 2015 is to grow my hair to APL by establishing a healthy hair routine.

I plan to do the following: finger detangle my hair, protective style my hair, cleanse my scalp weekly, deep condition after every cleanse, and make conscientious decisions about the products I choose. I will also exercise 5-6 times a week, take my multivitamins, eat more vegetables, and drink more water.

I've reached my goal of growing my hair to APL. Here's my update.
  1. Finger detangling (lost sight of this goal)
  2. Protective styling (I didn't do this all year. I started out well but slacked off during the warmer months I'm back on this one)
  3. Cleanse my scalp weekly (completed)
  4. Deep condition after every cleanse(inconsistent)
  5. Make conscientious decisions about the products I choose ( I didn't introduce anything new. I used my current stash and only had to purchase more Aussie Moist. My hair loves this stuff :heart:)
  6. Exercise 5-6 times a week (I had to slow down when I went through physical therapy. I'm back on track now)
  7. Take my multivitamin (extremely inconsistent here. I will do better for the rest of the year. I need to make this a habit)
  8. Eat more vegetables (have been doing more of this. Sometimes I fall off track)
  9. Drink more water (I have been doing this. I drink approximately 80 ounces. I want to get to the point where I no longer crave Coke Zero once a week)

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Boy, did I fail this lmao...
My 2015 main hair goal: A) Not to get hair lazy and B) Focus on my health. I loved mini-braids, but in light of my recent discovery..I can't do them anymore *tears* I found out that combing my hair is akin to giving it a haircut. However, I can blow-dry it with the comb attachment with little to minimal hair shedding/breakage (go figure). This makes me re-think my whole hair routine. ETA: I relaxed my hair a bit straighter so I won't be blow-drying. I'll still be doing everything in sections and finger-detangling. I'll also be co-washing a bit more, baggying and trying to keep my moisture/protein up. I'll also keep up on my trims and try to keep up on my healthy stuff.

Misseyl

Update:
I couldn't stop buying products, I just bought $175 worth of oils and butters, and about $65 worth of As I Am products.
One thing I can say about myself is that I'm consistent. I pre-poo, wash and deep condition my natural hair every week. The oils, JasI will add Henna in middle of June.
I stop co-washing because I love suds and I didn't see my hair doing anything extra. Away from that my goal stays the same.
Update: start washing every two weeks, consistently do the LCO method, learn to do flat twist and hopefully by the end of 2015 my hair will reach a comfortable neck length.:afro:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
With less than a month remaining I feel confident about my end of year goals. I have a solid regimen, quality products and a wonderful new growth aid (liquid gold oil).

Which goals have you met?
Which goals are you still working on?