2015 WIG CHALLENGE

GGsKin

Tonight I washed, conditioned and canerowed my hair up. I tried on my new wig for the first time. Its a silk top (with no lace edge) and I'm finding the line of demarcation very noticable. It's long but I love the hair and the fit (my head is tiny!).

I will work on my blending tomorow.

GGsKin

divachyk I am doing the intensive GHE/baggying as part of the maximum hydration method (MHM) known as the bald spot regimen, for a bald spot I am growing in.
I wash my hair as per the regimen and wear a bag for as long as I can stand (baggying doesn't bother me, I just want to wash or play in my hair) lol. I've been doing it consistently since September (longest stint has been 3 weeks straight!) and I think it has worked wonders.

@Leo24Rule Thanks for reminding me of this post. I want to get back to this wig regimen for the rest of the yr now that I've played in my hair for a good few months.

Whilst wigging/ baggying, my bald spot did grow in some (not all the follicles) - some of the hairs are really fine and the spot is not as full as the rest of my hair, so I'd like to see if more baggying will continue to reap results.

I love my new custom 18" kinky straight silk top wig, I ordered from Premier Lace Wigs. I love the hair. I've washed, conditioned and tinted the silk on the unit (minimal shedding by the end of the wash). Blending that silk line is a pain though. Here she is after a light flat iron and some wand curls.

Attachments

• 2015-08-08_15.28.53.jpg
    2015-08-08_15.28.53.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 148

Leo24Rule

@AbsyBlvd my mother has 2 bald spots from sleeping in clip-on hair extensions. Are you applying anything on the bald spots or simply just doing the GHE/Baging Method?

Smiley79

I'm still loving my Jannie wig. I was nervous at first because it seemed to get ratty quickly. But I quickly (maybe 2-3 minutes?) blow dried it on high and it was looking as good as new!

Good to know...that wig is next on my list.
My wig order came in, woohoo, I'm still in my sew in so I'll post my updates once I take it out.

GGsKin

@AbsyBlvd my mother has 2 bald spots from sleeping in clip-on hair extensions. Are you applying anything on the bald spots or simply just doing the GHE/Baging Method?

I believe that's how my ones came about. During my entire transition (about 18months), my hair didn't seem to grow in those spots.

Last time round I didn't apply anything to my scalp to stimulate growth, other than acv rinses with cayenne pepper, and regular head massage (coupled with my regular MHM washes).

Now, I do try to keep up with the massage and I occasionally apply an oil mix with sulphur but I am not consistent- my scalp doesn't need much of anything to feel overloaded. If I do anything, I make sure to keep that baggy on, and just massage 'dry'.

almond eyes

I was anti wig regiment because I did one seven years ago during another natural period. I realized that I wasn't taking care of my hair underneath and my cornrows were just way too tight so I had dry hair and breakage. I also should have given my hair a break from the wig at least a few times a week and go hard with the Deep Conditioners. But now circa seven years later, I realize that it's okay to rock a wig to mix it up and I have learnt from reading all these posts how to take care of my hair wearing a wig.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Leo24Rule

I'M IN THIS CHALLENGE YET I NEVER POSTED ANY STATS OR CONTRIBUTED TO THE THREAD....

1.How long do you plan on wigging it (3months, the entire year, between other protective styles, etc.): AFTER WORK, WHENEVER GOING OUT, & ON WEEKENDS

2.Purpose of joining challenge (protective styling, low manipulation, hair retention, etc.): HAIR RETENTION AND THICKNESS

3.Whether you are: natural, relaxed [texlaxed, bonelaxed, texturized, etc.], transitioning: NATURAL

4.Current hair length: HL

5.Styling choice of hidden hair (ie. Beehive, plaits, cornrows, etc.) SEVERAL PLAITS

6.Photo of your starting point (if you have hair growth goals, and/or just want to share):

hair cut.jpg stretched.jpg
Taken Spring '13

waistlength.jpg
Taken November '14

7.Photo of any wigs you are currently wearing and/or hope to wear:
20150706_105906.jpg 20150705_151042.jpg

GGsKin

Ok, I realise I made a boo-boo when ordering this silk top full lace wig as a glueless wig cap, because there is no lace edge after the silk so there is a big dirty line of demarcation (aarrrrghhh!). I did all my proper silk-top research AFTER I received my unit lol. I realise now that I should've paid attention the the features of the varying wig caps on offer from Premier Lace Wigs, coz this baby is going to give me trouble.

I still really love it. The hair hold curls really well- I'm still loving my waves from wand curls I did on Saturday.

Anywho, I think this is the best the blending may get with this, and please excuse my sweetie. I dropped my phone on my head trying to get a pic earlier:laugh:.

Attachments

• 2015-08-10_19.28.30.jpg
    2015-08-10_19.28.30.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 121

Smiley79

Ok, I realise I made a boo-boo when ordering this silk top full lace wig as a glueless wig cap, because there is no lace edge after the silk so there is a big dirty line of demarcation (aarrrrghhh!). I did all my proper silk-top research AFTER I received my unit lol. I realise now that I should've paid attention the the features of the varying wig caps on offer from Premier Lace Wigs, coz this baby is going to give me trouble.

I still really love it. The hair hold curls really well- I'm still loving my waves from wand curls I did on Saturday.

Anywho, I think this is the best the blending may get with this, and please excuse my sweetie. I dropped my phone on my head trying to get a pic earlier:laugh:.

That is excellent. you did a great job blending. I'd like the details about this wig pretty please. :)

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.

I think the blending looks really good.

GGsKin

Thank you @HairPleezeGrow :) but I think the flash may be helping me out a little here, because she is not that seamless IRL.

I think the blending looks really good.

That is excellent. you did a great job blending. I'd like the details about this wig pretty please. :)

Thanks @Smiley79, I can see myself wearing this with no- parts just to make my life a little easier, and make me less self conscious. Or washing it again to revert the texture to see how she plays. I already rock it a little behind my hairline, but too far and I look like my for head goes on for another day lol. I took a pic in natural daylight, and there is much less forgiveness (I'm not even gonna post that pic. It really is the opposite of discreet :lol:.

I ordered this unit from Premier Lace Wigs after @EnExitStageLeft reviewed her Kinky Straight unit (with pics).

My unit is;
18" Brazilian Kinky Straight
80%-100% density
Natural colour
Custom glueless cap with 5x5 silk top.

The hair is wonderful so far: no tangles, minimal shedding (I've washed once), colour matches my hair. I haven't measured but the length seems true/ generous. I've tinted the silk with semi permanent hair dye, and still used a little powder in the part to get the colour right.

Last edited:

scarcity21

Thank you @HairPleezeGrow :) but I think the flash may be helping me out a little here, because she is not that seamless IRL.

Thanks @Smiley79, I can see myself wearing this with no- parts just to make my life a little easier, and make me less self conscious. Or washing it again to revert the texture to see how she plays. I already rock it a little behind my hairline, but too far and I look like my for head goes on for another day lol. I took a pic in natural daylight, and there is much less forgiveness (I'm not even gonna post that pic. It really is the opposite of discreet :lol:.

I ordered this unit from Premier Lace Wigs after @EnExitStageLeft reviewed her Kinky Straight unit (with pics).

My unit is;
18" Brazilian Kinky Straight
80%-100% density
Natural colour
Custom glueless cap with 5x5 silk top.

The hair is wonderful so far: no tangles, minimal shedding (I've washed once), colour matches my hair. I haven't measured but the length seems true/ generous. I've tinted the silk with semi permanent hair dye, and still used a little powder in the part to get the colour right.

@AbsyBlvd, Blending looks really good!!! Are u saying that getting a wig that u could glue down would have blended better?

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I'm Joining that for this last quarter of the year.
Just put in an order for a wig. I'll post details wen it gets here.

*space marker*

GGsKin

@AbsyBlvd, Blending looks really good!!! Are u saying that getting a wig that u could glue down would have blended better?

Thank you @scarcity21.
Probably. I have a full lace wig that I know I wouldn't have that problem with because the lace lays so flat, it just blends into my skin with ease, but that hair is way too silky for me to be exposing hairline. However, the seam on the silk edge is just so noticeable it's a real shame. I absolutely love everything else about this unit. I wish I'd looked closer at their cap construction because I didn't realise there wouldn't be a lace edge.

Last edited:

Rain20

I bought the Brazilian kinky straight from premier lace wigs. Mine is puffy and doesn't hold a curl at all. Any advice? It is not shedding. But it is a puffball in the morning and I hate to manipulate daily.

GGsKin

I bought the Brazilian kinky straight from premier lace wigs. Mine is puffy and doesn't hold a curl at all. Any advice? It is not shedding. But it is a puffball in the morning and I hate to manipulate daily.

Mine is naturally puffy. How long do you hold the heat appliance in the hair to curl? Do you let the curls set/ cool, before dropping? When I got mine, I shampood, moisture DC and let it air dry. I used heat protectant before lightly flat ironing and then wand-curling. I hold for at least 5 seconds before removing the wand, clipping the curls up and allowing to them to cool.

GGsKin

[QUOTE="EnExitStageLeft, post: 21671803,

@AbsyBlvd The blending looks great. I hope you love your unit as much as I love mine :). Even your parting looks perfect. Did you tweeze and bleach it?<<<<<---- Nvm. I just read that its a silk top. LOL reading is most definitely fundamental.[/QUOTE]

Thank you @EnExitStageLeft. I do love this unit. I need to have it shaped a little, but I am enjoying the length for now:).