2016 Milestone Challenge...(not A Length Challenge. No Length Goals)

faithVA

I'm doing great with my goals so far!!
I've added a mid week co-wash/shampoo with deep conditioner in the mix.
My hair is feeling and looking healthier and if length comes as a result... I'm here for that too. :clap::happydance::yahoo:
All of that optimism of yours is probably helping you master your goals :yep: Keep it coming!

LdyKamz

Just had an idea that I have no idea why I never tried before. I've been slowly weaning myself off of the headbands but since my edges are so troublesome I just have to come to terms with the fact that there are some days I will need the headbands to make my hair presentable to go to work. But I have a major problem with having to tie them either in the front or back. I can always smooth it over the top but tying in the back puts strain on my nape. I can always smooth over the back but tying in the front puts stress on my edges and the knot rubs back and forth over my crown. Since neither of these are helpful so I'm going to make my own.

I'm heading to the fabric store after work today to pick up a little bit of silk. My plan is to insert a little drawstring into the silk and then sew it into a circle and have just a little slit open at the base where you can pull the string to tighten the headband if I need to. This way the headband sits smooth all the way around my head and there's no bunching or rubbing. This should help for those times I absolutely have to wear one.

LdyKamz

So I finally figured out how to maintain straight hair! I put my hair in 2 loose braids only because I was figuring that was how I was going to wear my hair for the rest of the week since I can never wear my straight hair "out" for more than a day or 2. On Saturday I woke up and undid the braids just because I wanted to do them a little tighter and my hair fell perfectly. It wasn't stiff, wasn't sticking up or anything. I can't believe it. So a few things I think contributed. My moisture level was on point this last dc session. And my flat iron technique was pretty good. I won't be straightening until my next trim in June so I hope I remember these tips.

faithVA

So I finally figured out how to maintain straight hair! I put my hair in 2 loose braids only because I was figuring that was how I was going to wear my hair for the rest of the week since I can never wear my straight hair "out" for more than a day or 2. On Saturday I woke up and undid the braids just because I wanted to do them a little tighter and my hair fell perfectly. It wasn't stiff, wasn't sticking up or anything. I can't believe it. So a few things I think contributed. My moisture level was on point this last dc session. And my flat iron technique was pretty good. I won't be straightening until my next trim in June so I hope I remember these tips.
Maybe start a conversation with yourself and save the information there so its there when you need it.

LdyKamz

Almost a month since my last update. Update in bold below. I feel like I'm getting nowhere though.

• Maintain styles at least 3-4 days a week so I'm manipulating my hair less. Only styling 2x a week max. - The schedule is still working. It's so much better having these 2 days for my hair. I notice I lose a lot less hair when I wash on Sunday. Not sure if that's because of the products or if manipulating less is keeping my strands from breaking. I also notice when I co wash I never have to use a comb to detangle. Finger detangling works just fine.
  • DC at least 2x a week to get my moisture levels back up - I have been dcing 2x a week now since I want to use Joico exclusively. I've been trying to use up products during my cowashing and most of them are deep conditioners. I just put the conditioner in and a plastic cap on while I shower then rinse. This is the lazy/fast deep conditioning. On wash days I will deep condition for at least half hour. I think I'll keep this up. My hair seems to like it.
  • Stay on a regular trimming schedule. I'm aiming for every 3-4 months. This one was good last quarter so I have to make sure I keep it up. - Won't be trimming again until the end of June.
  • Main goal is to get nape and entire crown area into a braid around the perimeter of my head. - I feel like I've made some progress here although not very much. When I wash my hair those areas look full and lush but after my hair dries and especially after I sleep on them they look all flat and sparse. I notice that I can grab a little bit of the hair on both sides to do small twists but I don't want to stress those areas so I'll keep working on it.
  • Try one new style a week. Since I'm styling 2x a week after dcing I can practice that style at least twice during the week. I'll be stalking the board and youtube for ideas for my length. -This is happening very rarely. I do my rollersets and then I usually wear them out. I suppose I can start putting the sets into different styles but at this length my options are limited. Tried another twist and curl and I like it. It also seems to stretch my hair a bit so maybe if I ever want to skip cowashing one week I can restyle my stretched hair midweek on my cowashing day.
  • Go the entire quarter without wearing a headband or some sort of band around my head. This might be the cause of my crown issues so I have to stop cold turkey. -FAIL!! This is probably the main reason why my nape an edges are deceiving me when I wash my hair. Bought my silk fabric to make my own headbands and I have to hurry up because I rely so much on these darn things. Trying to figure out how not to be but it is so hard. Never though I would struggle so much in this area.
  • Get thicker hair - not exactly sure how to do this or how to measure how much thickness I've gained but a milestone nonetheless - May hair seems to be thickening up. I think it could be my protein use or maybe I'm fooling myself. I think I'd still like to try some garlic something and see if it helps.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Wash day is tomorrow. I am doing a great job at rotating my deep conditioners. Tomorrow I'm using a moisturizing dc.

Next month I do my Summer trim and if my hair is long enough I will ditch the wigs for a while.

LdyKamz

Twist and curls are becoming my new favorite style. Did it twice this week. Sunday on wash day and yesterday on cowash day. It lasts for days with just a few big twists each night. Now my spritz mix ran out and I don't think I made it the same as last time. For some reason my hair doesn't feel as soft. My mix is glycerin, aloe vera juice and water. I don't think I used enough glycerin in the mix this time.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
2nd Quarter
Do LOC method on wet and dry hair-FAILING
Do LOC method 2x a day even if I don't leave the house-FAILING
Journal everything I do with my hair-FAILING
Fully detangle during Sunday regimen-DONE
Use hydracap at least 1x/ week-WORKING ON IT
Incorporate ayurveda into my regimen-DONE

2nd Quarter Revised
Do LOC method on wet and dry hair
Do LOC method 2x a day even if I don't leave the house
Journal everything I do with my hair
Use hydracap at least 1x/ week

LdyKamz

Nothing to report other than my hair routine was disrupted by having to wash in cold water. I hope my hair lasts until Wednesday so I can keep to my twice a week manipulation schedule. The only plus is I didn't use a comb on my hair and completely finger detangled because I had to do my hair outside of the shower.

Eta: oh there is progress to report. I nearly forgot. I can finally grab my nape enough to put on a perm rod. But I'm not going to push it because I don't want all my progress to snap off.

faithVA

I have been mia in this thread. I'm making progress but I'm at least 2 or 3 from another milestone. I need to go back and look at my list.

Fortunately with summer right around the corner life is getting too busy to spend fussing with my hair. I hope the distraction will surprise me with great progress in the fall

trclemons

I'm in with the following style goals:

2nd Quarter

Do a roller set

Do a twist out

Do a wash n' go

Do a bantu knot out

4th Quarter

Do a flat twist

Do a braid out

Do a perm rod set

Do finger coils

Just checking in. I have done all of my 2nd quarter goals except a bantu knot out, but, I will probably try it in a couple of weeks. Because my hair is so fine, I end up putting the styles in an updo because it's not full enough for me.

caliscurls

@faithVA

I'm in with 3 goals:

1. Continue wearing loose twists until at least June of Q2. This has been the best protective style choice for me so far.
  2. Q2: Be able to re-do my twists in 6 hours or less (entire head) without sacrificing quality/care
  3. Learn 1 new style per quarter

Update time:
1 - loose twists - I'm in through year end! (If not longer....this may be my permanent thing. Cipriana's (UrbanBushBabes) hair inspired me to do them. Her and her twins hair is gorgeous. It seems to be truly the easiest way for me to live a carefree natural hair lifestyle, retain length, and have styling versatility)

For those who've not heard of Cipriana Quann here is here Instagram and all that hair: https://www.instagram.com/ciprianaquann/?hl=en

2 - re-twist time - never say never, but I don't think 6 hours is realistic the longer my hair gets. I've moved to splitting it up over 2 or more days when I feel like it after wash day so it's not a chore

3 - new style - I'm lagging here and bored with the current style! Will try to find something new over the next couple of weeks

LdyKamz

My hair is doing well for the most part. The nape definitely seems to be happier and has rewarded me with a little bit of progress. But now I think maybe the right side of my edges in the front is thinning. Could just be in my head because I'm noticing lots of sparse edges these days. But I want those parts of my hair to be thick and full. So I think I'll start babying my edges like I've been doing my nape. Just as a preventive measure.

faithVA

I'm still playing around with coloring my hair. Haven't quited nailed it yet. I'm working on some new things now.

Evolving78

I would like to join!
3rd quarter
Master roller/rod sets
Master blow drying
Purchase a steamer and use it

4th quarter
Master flat twists styles

LdyKamz

So since I had nothing to do today I decided to try something new. I sectioned off the sides of my hair. I twisted both sides and put them into Bantu knots and did flexi rods on the middle section. The sides and back are getting longer but still too short to put stress on. I haven't taken down the knots or the flexi rods yet so not sure how this will come out. But I'm hoping it comes out well enough to keep the headband home this week.

Attachments

• 20160604_153540.jpg
    20160604_153540.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 20160604_153828.jpg
    20160604_153828.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 12

LdyKamz

I kept the rollers in all day yesterday even though I planned to sit under the dryer. But at least my hair was completely dry because I've been having some issues with my sets being damp in parts. I haven't separated yet and will probably leave it like this until tomorrow morning for work. I'll just pick it out a bit so hopefully it can hold up for a few days. Next time I'll use smaller section at the top or maybe more product or maybe a smaller flexi rod? I'll experiment because the roots are kind of frizzy up there.

Attachments

• 20160605_115853.jpg
    20160605_115853.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20160605_115849.jpg
    20160605_115849.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 11

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I think I got an inch of growth for the 2nd quarter. My official length check will be sometime next week. I plan to straighten, trim and wear my hair out for a while (if it doesn't instantly revert).

The extra length is making it easier to style my hair.

Evolving78

I kept the rollers in all day yesterday even though I planned to sit under the dryer. But at least my hair was completely dry because I've been having some issues with my sets being damp in parts. I haven't separated yet and will probably leave it like this until tomorrow morning for work. I'll just pick it out a bit so hopefully it can hold up for a few days. Next time I'll use smaller section at the top or maybe more product or maybe a smaller flexi rod? I'll experiment because the roots are kind of frizzy up there.
We are on the same page! Lol looks good! I will probably do it tomorrow, or tonight! You got me excited now!

LdyKamz

Did a Bantu knot out and no headband! I'm so proud of myself. Think with this style coupled with a little growth I have back there I can start to ditch them and only wear them for an accessory when I want.

faithVA

Ladies its time to give your update for the 2nd quarter and to set or revise your milestone goals for the 3rd quarter.

faithVA

I didn't reach any of my milestones for the 2nd quarter. I'm just going to push them to the 4th quarter and push all of my 3rd quarter goals to the 4th quarter. I'm pretty close with all of them but just didn't fully reach them.

2nd quarter milestones being moved to 3rd quarter.
1. Full banana clip bun dry hair
2. 2 strand twist hang to bridge of nose
3. Master semi-permanent color application (from 1st quarter)
4. Wearable box braids
5. Wearable puff (not pulling hair in back)
6. Flat twist hang to bottom of ear.
(original #3) - 2 cornrows on wet hair (dropped)