2018 Coffee Tea Ayurv Henna Cassia Rice Clay Mud Avj Acv Onion

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Google won't give me a conclusive answer so I'll also ask here: does anyone know how long an aloe vera leaf will keep in the fridge and how to tell when it has gone rancid?

I had a aloe leaf from Whole Foods in my fridge for 3 weeks, and while the outside is fine, when I cut the plant, the gel looks cloudy/murky. I don't know if the aloe vera is still good to use on the body, or if I should only use it when it's pure white.
If it does not smell or go watery, you can still use it. The enzymes are breaking down the plant cells, which causes the cloudiness and weakens the potency. When it turn brown in the leaf, toss it. Aloe outside the leaf freezes well, but degrades faster when thawed.

ThatJerseyGirl

I really love how soft and smooth my hair is after rinsing. And no lingering herbs with the last dc. I've been sticking to 1 teaspoon each of the amla and brahmi, which I think helps.

I'm pretty sure the brahmi and the fenugreek were the ones that liked to linger after rinsing. My fenugreek powder should be arriving today, so that'll be the real test. I'm hoping it doesn't give me any trouble because the slip with the fenugreek is amazing (plus all the other goodness that comes with using it).

Good, I'm glad to hear. I think I'm addicted to the ayurvedic hair care method because my hair loves it so much! I've had an issue with herbs getting stuck as well, so now I know how to combat that issue, as discussed previously.

I forgot to ask, do you mix the night before your conditioning session? I usually mix it the night before and let it sit overnight. This last time, I mixed my Shikakai, Neem, Amla, Brahmi, and Fenugreek powders in warm to hot coconut oil. I did it the double broiler method (Testing). I wanted the powders to cook in the oil so as to not have any clumpy herbs in my mix. From there, I let it sit over night and then I add my coconut milk the next day.

WaistLengthDreams

Good, I'm glad to hear. I think I'm addicted to the ayurvedic hair care method because my hair loves it so much! I've had an issue with herbs getting stuck as well, so now I know how to combat that issue, as discussed previously.

I forgot to ask, do you mix the night before your conditioning session? I usually mix it the night before and let it sit overnight. This last time, I mixed my Shikakai, Neem, Amla, Brahmi, and Fenugreek powders in warm to hot coconut oil. I did it the double broiler method (Testing). I wanted the powders to cook in the oil so as to not have any clumpy herbs in my mix. From there, I let it sit over night and then I add my coconut milk the next day.

Me too. I've been all over the place in recent months, but I feel like things are finally starting to settle in.

I let the powders marinate overnight before applying (although, I leave the brahmi until the end because I remember reading somewhere that brahmi shouldn't sit in water for more than a few hours -- not sure if it's true, but to be on the safe side I abide by it.)

I mixed up my latest batch yesterday. And I have it my hair now. It is divine. I finally received the fenugreek seed powder and the powder is so fine. I added one tablespoon fenugreek powder to 3 tablespoons of coconut milk and 1 tablespoon of aloe vera. I let that sit for what ended up being 36 hours in the fridge. When I got home I added 1 Tablespoon of my herbal oil and 1 tsp of amla and brahmi powder. It was literally my smoothest mix to date. There was absolutely no graininess to it. I'm amazed.
pre-poo.jpg

Last edited:

Sally.

Yessssssssss! My favorite thread EVAH! I'm so in! Loving the new title too!
Hi there! I’ve been following your posts a lot lately. Due to health issues, I’m a recent convert to Ayurvedic hair care and all natural skincare. Can you recommend good, moisturizing body soaps (either recipes or ones that can be bought online)? Also, can I ask what have been your favorite products you’ve made or ingredients you’ve used?

WaistLengthDreams

My latest Ayurvedic gloss: 1T fenugreek powder, 1 tsp amla powder, 1tsp hibiscus powder, coconut milk, honey and deep conditioner.

Again, no grains left in my hair and it applied smoothly. Although, I'm going to reduce the hibiscus to 1/2 or 1/4 tsp next time because it was so red that it made me nervous, lol.

Sally.

My latest Ayurvedic gloss: 1T fenugreek powder, 1 tsp amla powder, 1tsp hibiscus powder, coconut milk, honey and deep conditioner.

Again, no grains left in my hair and it applied smoothly. Although, I'm going to reduce the hibiscus to 1/2 or 1/4 tsp next time because it was so red that it made me nervous, lol.
What did this gloss combination do for your hair?

WaistLengthDreams

What did this gloss combination do for your hair?

I'm still experimenting with the herbs, but I like to keep track of my combinations in this thread. Here's what the ingredients do individually:

fenugreek - best known for promoting hair growth when applied to the scalp consistently over a long period of time. But it also leaves gives my hair shine and it gives whatever deep conditioner I use slip.

amla - increases hair follicle count and reduces grays when applied to the scalp consistently for a long period of time. it's full of vitamin c, which is great for collagen formation and it conditions the hair.

hibiscus - adds slip, conditions the hair and is known for helping with growth too. I use it because when I was researching traditional Ayurvedic oil combinations I kept seeing combinations with amla and hibiscus or amla and licorice root. The hibiscus powder was easier to find and use so that's what I'm experimenting with now. Plus I was hoping the red would transfer on to my hair and give my grey hairs a slight tint.

coconut milk is also conditioning for the hair. sometimes I see yogurt or avocado, but since my hair loves coconut oil, I went with coconut milk. Plus @ThatJerseyGirl gave it a glowing recommendation.

honey is a humectant and since my hair is closer to low porosity, I was advised to use humectants in my regimen.

I use them in my deep conditioner as a gloss because it's a lot easier for me than making a tea or rinse. But either way it gives the same benefits when used on the hair and scalp. I do switch up the ingredients a bit. But I keep amla and fenugreek in heavy rotation because I'm after hair growth, thickness and healthy/strong new growth.

ThatJerseyGirl

@WaistLengthDreams -- Ahhh....just as I am typing this, here is what I have going on with my strands right now!

Amla, Neem, Fenugreek, Brahmi and Shikakai powders warmed in coconut oil by way of the double boiler method. In other words, I added the powders first in an old pot. Next, I added the coconut oil and did the double boiler method in an effort to warm the oils and powder mixture. I also did this so that I wouldn't have any lumps, etc. because I hate those herbs getting stuck in my hair. I let it sit over night and warmed it up a little bit this morning. I added the coconut milk and mixed the mixture together. It was very smooth and reminded me of smooth chocolate cream. I have that in my hair right now. I'll probably rinse it out and deep condition in another few hours.

I should have taken a pic and posted here so that you can see the consistency.

WaistLengthDreams

@WaistLengthDreams -- Ahhh....just as I am typing this, here is what I have going on with my strands right now!

Amla, Neem, Fenugreek, Brahmi and Shikakai powders warmed in coconut oil by way of the double boiler method. In other words, I added the powders first in an old pot. Next, I added the coconut oil and did the double boiler method in an effort to warm the oils and powder mixture. I also did this so that I wouldn't have any lumps, etc. because I hate those herbs getting stuck in my hair. I let it sit over night and warmed it up a little bit this morning. I added the coconut milk and mixed the mixture together. It was very smooth and reminded me of smooth chocolate cream. I have that in my hair right now. I'll probably rinse it out and deep condition in another few hours.

I should have taken a pic and posted here so that you can see the consistency.

It sounds a-ma-zing. I think the best way to go with the brahmi and fenugreek is in oils, so I'm sure this was perfect (and grain/residue-free). Did you make a big batch of it? This was how I made my amla and brahmi oil (except I didn't heat the powders first).

What's the benefit of heating the herbs in a pot first?

ThatJerseyGirl

It sounds a-ma-zing. I think the best way to go with the brahmi and fenugreek is in oils, so I'm sure this was perfect (and grain/residue-free). Did you make a big batch of it? This was how I made my amla and brahmi oil (except I didn't heat the powders first).

What's the benefit of heating the herbs in a pot first?

For purposes of deep conditioning, instead of mixing all of those powders in water, where you run the risk of clumps, the warm oil dissolves it. Therefore, if you mix all of the powders in an oil (for me it is coconut oil) and stir lightly while using the double boiler method, it dissolves the powder to the point where this dark oil is extracted. When I tried mixing the powders with water only, I had a HUGE problem getting those grains out of my hair because it was clumpy so a lot of the powder clumped and was not fully dissolved in the water, if that makes sense.

I just rinsed it out and I'm now deep conditioning. My rinse was GRAIN free and I think the oil method along with the addition of coconut milk, which is sort of slimy in texture, aided in a grain-free rinse and my hair is sooo much stronger. Also, I've also noticed that once I two strand twist my hair (I braid at the base) and let it stay in for a week, I have some new growth. Not an inch or anything, but it is very noticeable.

I made a large batch because I have a lot of hair (very thick) and I used every single drop of it because I make sure to coat every strand while concentrating on my ends.

Try it one day and let me know how you like it, whether you use it in coconut milk or just use regular conditioner. If you opt to use a regular conditioner in conjunction with the oils and powder, that's an excellent deep conditioner.

There is a link below regarding the benefits of coconut milk. If I'm not mistaken, I THINK she use to be a member here on this board. I'm sure someone could chime in and confirm this.

https://www.naturalhairqueen.net/how-to-use-coconut-milk-for-your-natural-hair/

WaistLengthDreams

For purposes of deep conditioning, instead of mixing all of those powders in water, where you run the risk of clumps, the warm oil dissolves it. Therefore, if you mix all of the powders in an oil (for me it is coconut oil) and stir lightly while using the double boiler method, it dissolves the powder to the point where this dark oil is extracted. When I tried mixing the powders with water only, I had a HUGE problem getting those grains out of my hair because it was clumpy so a lot of the powder clumped and was not fully dissolved in the water, if that makes sense.

I just rinsed it out and I'm now deep conditioning. My rinse was GRAIN free and I think the oil method along with the addition of coconut milk, which is sort of slimy in texture, aided in a grain-free rinse and my hair is sooo much stronger. Also, I've also noticed that once I two strand twist my hair (I braid at the base) and let it stay in for a week, I have some new growth. Not an inch or anything, but it is very noticeable.

I made a large batch because I have a lot of hair (very thick) and I used every single drop of it because I make sure to coat every strand while concentrating on my ends.

Try it one day and let me know how you like it, whether you use it in coconut milk or just use regular conditioner. If you opt to use a regular conditioner in conjunction with the oils and powder, that's an excellent deep conditioner.

There is a link below regarding the benefits of coconut milk. If I'm not mistaken, I THINK she use to be a member here on this board. I'm sure someone could chime in and confirm this.

https://www.naturalhairqueen.net/how-to-use-coconut-milk-for-your-natural-hair/

You are great, @ThatJerseyGirl! I'm learning so much from you and thanks for the link. I'm going to bookmark it and read that later. I actually have the leftover amla and brahmi powder sitting in a little bit of oil that I used to make my amla brahmi oil storing away in Tupperware. I didn't want to just throw it away after I strained it out of my oil and I also didn't know what to do with it. And here you are with this great option for me. Thank you! At some point I'm going to try this method of heating it back up and adding more oil to it for deep conditioning. And I'll be back to report on how it went.

About how much total powder do you use for your hair? I just want to make sure that I'm using the right amount for my hair.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Today I used:
Cream & Coco's Ginger Peach Kombucha Tea & ACV Scalp Rinse (it's concentrated and you add 1 Tblspn of Ginger Peach Tea to 8oz of Water)

I also used Bamboo Leaf and Malva Leaves for a Tea Rinse.

Steeped a nice Pot of Horsetail Tea for my next Round of Tea Rinses. Put in Containers and stuck in Freezer.To

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Cream & Coco's Ginger Peach Kombucha Tea & ACV Rinse
Malva Leaf and Bamboo Leaf Tea
Fermented RW DC'er (CeCe's on ETSY - very nice)

ThatJerseyGirl

I made a Ayurvedic mud with amla fenugreek and brahmi using water with a little bit of oil. Heated it and left it on for four hours as a pre-poo before cowashing. Loved it. Thanks for the suggestion ThatJerseyGirl!

I kept my DC simple and just added honey.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Excellent, WLD! I am so glad you love it. If you keep this regimen up every two weeks, you'll notice increased thickness, healthy ends and then growth. At least that is what is going with my hair for right now. Are you using an Ayurvedic oil in conjunction with your regimen?

WaistLengthDreams

Excellent, WLD! I am so glad you love it. If you keep this regimen up every two weeks, you'll notice increased thickness, healthy ends and then growth. At least that is what is going with my hair for right now. Are you using an Ayurvedic oil in conjunction with your regimen?

Thickness and growth...That sounds perfect.

And yes, I am using an Ayurvedic oil too. That's where this deep dive into Ayurvedic herbs all started, lol. I use the oil to massage my scalp a few times a week. And I'm going to alternate between the mud concoction and a hot ayurvedic oil treatment since you said I can do that mud mask pre-poo every two weeks.

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
What are your favorite natural deep conditioners to use? Esp after henna as it can be drying - although I’ve noticed it’s a lot more moisturizing when mixed with coconut milk (all I do now is mix my nupur henna w coconut milk)

Also. I’m going to start making my own oil. I really think this is the only thing missing from my routine I was just always worried about the smell. What is your favorite base: EVCO/EVOO mix like CurlyProverbz or something else’s like sweet almond or avocado oil ?

ThatJerseyGirl

What are your favorite natural deep conditioners to use? Esp after henna as it can be drying - although I’ve noticed it’s a lot more moisturizing when mixed with coconut milk (all I do now is mix my nupur henna w coconut milk)

Also. I’m going to start making my own oil. I really think this is the only thing missing from my routine I was just always worried about the smell. What is your favorite base: EVCO/EVOO mix like CurlyProverbz or something else’s like sweet almond or avocado oil ?

I love the Joico Moisture Recovery conditioner. I purchase this large bottle at either TJ Maxx or Marshalls. My hair is very thick and lengthy, so I use a lot. I'd like to recommend that to you to try and see how you like it. It's not expensive at all and for me, it works wonders. In fact, I have to get another bottle tomorrow. I have to remind myself to do so lolol..

To answer your second question, I stick with Coconut Oil. There is an indian grocer in my area where I purchase the Parachute brand of coconut oil and I'm able to get a gallon at a low cost.

The only thing that is a little costly is the coconut milk. I wish it were the same price as regular ole' can milk lolol..but the benefits are so worth it when mixing it with ayurvedic powders.