Upcoming wash day plans:

Amla/Brahmi hot oil prepoo treatment
Clay detox
Naptural85 Black Soap shampoo
Henna treatment
Deep condition with Amika/BelleBar sample
ACV rinse
Style with Kindred Butters DC as leave-in, EVOO, ecostyler gel
Amla/Brahmi hot oil prepoo treatment: did aloe vera and avocado/evoo hot oil treatment instead and my hair felt good. but for some reason, i STILL can't figure out how to get my hair to feel like butter like it did the first time i ever did @Chicoro 's moisture drenched prepoo method! i've followed it to the T and still don't know what's going on. maybe my hair was just extremely dry and because i wasn't used to the softness/moisture levels, it felt like butter but now that i've adoped an ayurvedic regimen, maybe i'm just used to the moisture? which doesn't seem right because by wash day, my hair is always dry as the dickens. *sigh*

Clay detox: did a clay wash with bentonite, kaolin, ghassoul, acv, and avocado oil. of course my curls were on and popping.
Naptural85 Black Soap shampoo: didn't do this.
Henna treatment: didn't do this.
Deep condition: swamped for time, didn't do this.
ACV rinse: didn't do this
Finger shingle hair and style with Kindred Butters DC as leave-in, EVOO, ecostyler gel: used flaxseed ecostyler gel and while the results aren't bad, my curls aren't as uniform and tight as when i use the green ecostyler gel. there's also a good amount of frizz but it might be because i airdried my natural hair for the first time ever.

Next Wash Day Plans (Tuesday)
1. amla/brahmi hot oil prepoo treatment
2. black soap shampoo
3. henna or cassia gloss
4. deep condition/acv rinse
5. washngo using earth tones naturals butter, oil, and earth tones naturals gel

WaistLengthDreams

hey girl! glad to see we are thinking along the same lines. those were my goals for wash day (i wanted to do a full on intense wash day finally), but as always, i got pressed for time and it didn't work out that way.

i ended up not making the amla/brahmi oil and instead did an aloe vera on scalp and avocado/evoo hot oil treatment.
i also didn't have time to do the henna treatment and i did a clay shampoo wash instead of a clay detox.
no acv rinse this time, but there was acv in my clay wash. i thought acv was good to use after DC because it helped seal the cuticles. why do you use it after shampoo?

The company I bought the shampoo bar from recommends an acv rinse after using it, if you have hard water. So, I did as I was told, lol.

WaistLengthDreams

Amla/Brahmi hot oil prepoo treatment: did aloe vera and avocado/evoo hot oil treatment instead and my hair felt good. but for some reason, i STILL can't figure out how to get my hair to feel like butter like it did the first time i ever did @Chicoro 's moisture drenched prepoo method! i've followed it to the T and still don't know what's going on. maybe my hair was just extremely dry and because i wasn't used to the softness/moisture levels, it felt like butter but now that i've adoped an ayurvedic regimen, maybe i'm just used to the moisture? which doesn't seem right because by wash day, my hair is always dry as the dickens. *sigh*

Clay detox: did a clay wash with bentonite, kaolin, ghassoul, acv, and avocado oil. of course my curls were on and popping.
Naptural85 Black Soap shampoo: didn't do this.
Henna treatment: didn't do this.
Deep condition: swamped for time, didn't do this.
ACV rinse: didn't do this
Finger shingle hair and style with Kindred Butters DC as leave-in, EVOO, ecostyler gel: used flaxseed ecostyler gel and while the results aren't bad, my curls aren't as uniform and tight as when i use the green ecostyler gel. there's also a good amount of frizz but it might be because i airdried my natural hair for the first time ever.

Next Wash Day Plans (Tuesday)
1. amla/brahmi hot oil prepoo treatment
2. black soap shampoo
3. henna or cassia gloss
4. deep condition/acv rinse
5. washngo using earth tones naturals butter, oil, and earth tones naturals gel

First, I love all of this. Thank you for the detail.

I use Chicoro's pre-poo too. It is amazing (and it was my first time using aloe vera on my hair at the time). And I agree, I feel like the best/most drastic change came when I initially used it. You might be right on the fact that your hair isn't as dry as it was when you first used it, so there isn't this big shift after each use anymore. That is what I assumed for myself. Aloe Vera Gel's pH is 4.5-5, and that's right where our hair is happiest (pH of 4.5-5.5). And I know my high porosity relaxed hair was probably craving something to balance it out.

Also, now that I think about it, a lot of the ayurvedic herbs are lower on the pH scale too (Amla powder 3.5, shikakai 5, and henna is low too but I don't know it's exact number). So part of what our hair loved about Aloe vera was the way that it countered a lot of the higher pH things in our regimen (African black soap, bentonite clay, baking soda, etc), but with more Ayurveda, like you said, it's carrying some of the load for the Aloe vera.

I say all that to say, I think you're on the right track about the "moisture revival" impact of the Aloe vera/oil pre-poo. But even if it's not as needed for your hair, the aloe vera is great for the scalp so I'd keep using it anyway.

And now a question for you: Is your clay detox the same recipe that Green Beauty recommends (1/2 cup rhassoul, 1/3 cup bentonite clay, 1/4 cup kaolin clay, 1 cup water, 3T ACV and few Tablespoons favorite oil)?

I bought the three clays (bentonite, kaolin and rhassoul) to try it at some point. But I couldn't find anyone other than her that has used her recipe. I'd love to know your recipe, if you don't mind sharing. @Sally.

Last edited:

WaistLengthDreams

Does anyone have any experience with hibiscus tea or powder ? Beetroot powder or juice?

I want to incorporate in my routine as final rinse after washing and experiment with adding to henna. Looking for moisture nutrient boost and deeper red or purple red hair color ??

@SunkissedLife

I've made tea rinse with hibiscus flowers, fenugreek and marshmallow root. It gave great shine, slip, softness and moisture. But like @IDareT'sHair said, the beautifully deep red rinse did not deposit color onto my hair. (I only used it twice though.)

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
Made flaxseed gel based on naptural85 video! Literally my fav gel (moisturizing, natural, and has good hold and gives great shine) but the process always seemed like a pain and annoying to have to make fresh (only keeps like a week or 2) every time but her new method is a little easier.

I’ve been wanting to switch up my look (all I do is twist outs lol) and planning to rollerset with it. It made a lot! of gel especially because you only need a little at a time

Attachments

• B0BBAE3B-AD8C-4AFA-B05E-3AC38F337CD6.jpeg
    B0BBAE3B-AD8C-4AFA-B05E-3AC38F337CD6.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 10

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
Okay. So prepping to wash and I did the aloe vera pre-ooo topped with my DIY henna/amla/rose oil <<< although to be honest it felt more like a gloss because how on earth do you strain powders out of oil ?! So it was chock full of powders

Letting it marinate then going to follow up w my regular wash routine

WaistLengthDreams

Okay. So prepping to wash and I did the aloe vera pre-ooo topped with my DIY henna/amla/rose oil <<< although to be honest it felt more like a gloss because how on earth do you strain powders out of oil ?! So it was chock full of powders

Letting it marinate then going to follow up w my regular wash routine

lol, I thought the same thing when I made my oil. The 4 layers of cheese cloth did nothing. :lol:

If you let the oil sit for 24 hours the powders settle to the bottom and then you can pour off the oil that's on top.

GGsKin

Does anyone have any experience with hibiscus tea or powder ? Beetroot powder or juice?

I want to incorporate in my routine as final rinse after washing and experiment with adding to henna. Looking for moisture nutrient boost and deeper red or purple red hair color ??

I use hibiscus powder/ tea in my clay and henna. For me, it's only in henna that it deepens the red colour deposit.

WaistLengthDreams

My last wash day was another amla, brahmi, and fenugreek powder paste pre-poo with coconut milk, some water and my oil mix. I also added the leftover paste to my deep conditioner too for a gloss.

I think my hair was missing either the fenugreek powder or the coconut milk. Because it is feeling so much softer. Regardless of which one was missed, I'll definitely be using both again next weekend.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I’m currently marinating in some henna. I mixed up Nupur Henna with amla, brahmi, tulsi, and methi. Warm water and a little bay essential oil. At the last minute I added a little rice bran oil in.

Anything other an hour will be a miracle. I’d love to sleep in it but I work tomorrow.

Sally.

First, I love all of this. Thank you for the detail.

I use Chicoro's pre-poo too. It is amazing (and it was my first time using aloe vera on my hair at the time). And I agree, I feel like the best/most drastic change came when I initially used it. You might be right on the fact that your hair isn't as dry as it was when you first used it, so there isn't this big shift after each use anymore. That is what I assumed for myself. Aloe Vera Gel's pH is 4.5-5, and that's right where our hair is happiest (pH of 4.5-5.5). And I know my high porosity relaxed hair was probably craving something to balance it out.

Also, now that I think about it, a lot of the ayurvedic herbs are lower on the pH scale too (Amla powder 3.5, shikakai 5, and henna is low too but I don't know it's exact number). So part of what our hair loved about Aloe vera was the way that it countered a lot of the higher pH things in our regimen (African black soap, bentonite clay, baking soda, etc), but with more Ayurveda, like you said, it's carrying some of the load for the Aloe vera.

I say all that to say, I think you're on the right track about the "moisture revival" impact of the Aloe vera/oil pre-poo. But even if it's not as needed for your hair, the aloe vera is great for the scalp so I'd keep using it anyway.

And now a question for you: Is your clay detox the same recipe that Green Beauty recommends (1/2 cup rhassoul, 1/3 cup bentonite clay, 1/4 cup kaolin clay, 1 cup water, 3T ACV and few Tablespoons favorite oil)?

I bought the three clays (bentonite, kaolin and rhassoul) to try it at some point. But I couldn't find anyone other than her that has used her recipe. I'd love to know your recipe, if you don't mind sharing. @Sally.
hi! sorry for my late reply. i've been swamped with work and haven't been on here as much lately. the first time i did the clay detox, i followed green beauty's recipe. now, i pretty much just eyeball it. i know she pays attention to the ph level with her recipe, so i'm not sure if i'm getting it right when i don't do exact measurements, but my hair seems to hold up fine.

i didn't realize that aloe vera was close to our hair's natural ph! you may have helped me solve the mystery of why i'm no longer getting the same results from chicoro's prepoo and it might be the aloe vera juice i'm using. i need to figure out which brand/type i used the first time around and go back to it! thank you!

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
UPDATE
5084A099-8972-41FC-B691-DA704C1D3888.jpeg
Before was taken on March 3 when I started this Challenge as well as the CurlyProberbz Challenge.

After was taken on August 25. Honestly I should have taken pics today Sep 2 since my definition was even better. I’m just elated. I suffered a major setback March 2017... literally bald in some areas and I’m just about 80% recovered (noticeable length difference to myself)

Prepoo - Belle Bar “Cairo” and aloe vera gel (Naptural85 aloe leaf tutorial)

Cleanse - I alternated FAITHFULLY biweekly between my DIY rhassoul wash (CurlyProverbz & Nap85 has rhassoul tutorials) & a shikakai (ayurvedic) shampoo bar

Condition - This is a little tricky as I also alternated FAITHFULLY between moisture & strengthing as apart of the Belle Bar X CurlyProverbz challenge (if you’re familiar).

Rinse/LOC Method - I tried sticking to the rice water rinse but it was hard remembering to prep 48 hrs before wash day to allow for fermentation. But I did like the results.

Leave In - Maximum Hydration Method
(As of 8/25 Belle Bar Sudan & Natty Leave In)
Oil - Shea Moisture High Porosity Oil
Cream - Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
(As of 8/25 Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Setting Creme - See CurlyProverbz Wash n Go Routine)

Gel - Eco (Olive PERMANENTLY), KCCC for twist outs)

WaistLengthDreams

Before was taken on March 3 when I started this Challenge as well as the CurlyProberbz Challenge.

After was taken on August 25. Honestly I should have taken pics today Sep 2 since my definition was even better. I’m just elated. I suffered a major setback March 2017... literally bald in some areas and I’m just about 80% recovered (noticeable length difference to myself)

Prepoo - Belle Bar “Cairo” and aloe vera gel (Naptural85 aloe leaf tutorial)

Cleanse - I alternated FAITHFULLY biweekly between my DIY rhassoul wash (CurlyProverbz & Nap85 has rhassoul tutorials) & a shikakai (ayurvedic) shampoo bar

Condition - This is a little tricky as I also alternated FAITHFULLY between moisture & strengthing as apart of the Belle Bar X CurlyProverbz challenge (if you’re familiar).

Rinse/LOC Method - I tried sticking to the rice water rinse but it was hard remembering to prep 48 hrs before wash day to allow for fermentation. But I did like the results.

Leave In - Maximum Hydration Method
(As of 8/25 Belle Bar Sudan & Natty Leave In)
Oil - Shea Moisture High Porosity Oil
Cream - Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
(As of 8/25 Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Setting Creme - See CurlyProverbz Wash n Go Routine)

Gel - Eco (Olive PERMANENTLY), KCCC for twist outs)

Wow! @TamaraShaniece Thank you for sharing this! You've made so much progress over the last few months. I am in awe!

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
@TamaraShaniece AMAZING GROWTH !! this routine is really working for you, keep it up! By the end of the year your hair will be insanely long. I'm especially loving the definition you're getting. I've always wanted to try Belle Bar products but they are sooooo expensive! haha but hey! if it works! and it sounds like you've got a nice, simplified routine

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
whipped up nuper henna + rose petal powder (50/50 mix) with coconut milk. I'm hoping for a super conditioning pack and a nice color deposit. Let henna mix dye release for a couple hours.

Applied mix all over to pre-combed hair and sat under the dryer for 30 minutes with medium heat because I heard it increases color uptake and cuts time in half for how long you have to let the henna sit. Will rinse out in another hour or so with Giovanni conditioner and probably do my normal wash day routine Tuesday or Wednesday.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
@TamaraShaniece AMAZING GROWTH !! this routine is really working for you, keep it up! By the end of the year your hair will be insanely long. I'm especially loving the definition you're getting. I've always wanted to try Belle Bar products but they are sooooo expensive! haha but hey! if it works! and it sounds like you've got a nice, simplified routine

I’m hoping I can achieve length now while maintaining moisture & strength.

I told myself I couldn’t be a PJ if I stick with Belle Bar and simplify my routine. That henna gloss was amazing.

GGsKin

I mixed some oil for a prepoo today. Using Shea butter and coconut oil (and a little of my fenugreek/calendula oil mix), I heated using double boiler method with fenugreek, Brahmi and kalpi tone. I haven't put it on yet but will keep it on overnight, and finally wash my hair tomorrow.

afrofaithful

Can you do henna and use a protein conditioner? I usually use aphogee keratin reconstructor 1-2 times per month. Is this still feasible after a henna application?

Aggie

Can you do henna and use a protein conditioner? I usually use aphogee keratin reconstructor 1-2 times per month. Is this still feasible after a henna application?
I would strongly advise NOT to use protein after a henna treatment. You may suffer a serious setback and we never want those. It is best to load up on moisture immediately following a henna treatment and you could always resume your normal routine about a week later.

afrofaithful

I would strongly advise NOT to use protein after a henna treatment. You may suffer a serious setback and we never want those. It is best to load up on moisture immediately following a henna treatment and you could always resume your normal routine about a week later.

Not directly after, I actually fell asleep with it on (not on purpose), and am sitting with some DC right now before I leave for school. Does it have to be a mild protein? I use the keratin reconstructor, it’s not as strong as some others, but I find it still works well but could possibly use something lighter. I think last time I was using henna that’s what was missing.