4b/ 4c Naturals Growth Thread

GGsKin

I wonder if scurl works for all 4b/4c naturals. I have yet to find anything that moisturizes my hair half as well and for as long as scurl. The only issue is the glycerin causes my hair to shrink when I'm wearing a braid/twist out and then it's tangle city.

I am 4b/c and my hair (+climate) does not like glycerin in my finishing products. For the most part, it causes my hair to shrink, look frizzy and feel crispy so I stay away.

Dee-Licious

I ordered some of the extra wide curlformers knockoffs from eBay. I have some of the originals, but need more for a full set for a quick stretch for a weeknight wash. My hair does much better stretches, but I have been not using heat as much because I’ve been wanting to wash it more. I have tons of the skinnier curlformers originals and knockoffs, but they didn’t do the stretch for the next style how I wanted a few weeks back when I tried; it could have been because my hair wasn’t fully detangled.

The curlformers will be good for a weeknight wash, and for my full wash sessions I can rollerset with my hourglass/tension rollers.

icsonia22

Does aloe vera function the same way that glycerin does and cause shrinkage? I'm looking for a moisturizer that will allow me to retain some definition when I do twist out and braid outs.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Does aloe vera function the same way that glycerin does and cause shrinkage? I'm looking for a moisturizer that will allow me to retain some definition when I do twist out and braid outs.
If you are planning to wear your hair OUT then you don't want glycerin or anything that acts like glycerin. And I know glycerin! It's excellent for moisture but not good for a "set" style.

But I don't know aloe Vera (although I have heard it acts like glycerin or hummectant). What say you, Kinky ladies?

FadingDelilah

I've found that detangling less that once a week causes more breakage for me. I've also found that starting at the veryyy ends of my hair saves me from pulling out hairs versus starting about a half an inch/inch from the ends like I used to. Funny how tiny changes saves a lot of hair. Also, the tangle teezer after using my wide tooth comb works amazing. The teeth don't have those balls at the ends that rip my hair out, and the teeth have a lot of give. I start from the very ends just like with the comb.

I've come to find that both dry detangling and finger detangling are a no for me. I could not style my hair the way I liked using finger detangling. It took forever and my hair wasn't fully detangled. I'm over trying to preserve every last strand of hair!! If only a very few strand come out once a week when I detangle, than I'm good using detangling tools. I feel so much better now.

faithVA

I've found that detangling less that once a week causes more breakage for me. I've also found that starting at the veryyy ends of my hair saves me from pulling out hairs versus starting about a half an inch/inch from the ends like I used to. Funny how tiny changes saves a lot of hair. Also, the tangle teezer after using my wide tooth comb works amazing. The teeth don't have those balls at the ends that rip my hair out, and the teeth have a lot of give. I start from the very ends just like with the comb.

I've come to find that both dry detangling and finger detangling are a no for me. I could not style my hair the way I liked using finger detangling. It took forever and my hair wasn't fully detangled. I'm over trying to preserve every last strand of hair!! If only a very few strand come out once a week when I detangle, than I'm good using detangling tools. I feel so much better now.
I'm finding something similar but still investigating. With finger detanglong I have to go through my hair a lot of times to get the shed hairs. With the tangle teazer I can go through once or twice on damp moisturized hair and it detangled better and removes more shed hair.

I will have reevaluate every 30 days to see how my hair is doing.

BrownSkinQT

I'm finding something similar but still investigating. With finger detanglong I have to go through my hair a lot of times to get the shed hairs. With the tangle teazer I can go through once or twice on damp moisturized hair and it detangled better and removes more shed hair.

I will have reevaluate every 30 days to see how my hair is doing.
Hey, FaithVA, how has your hair been coming along since you've had the anaysis?

FadingDelilah

I'm not Faith but right now I'm actually not using my tangle teezer anymore. At first I was wowed by how easily it went through my hair, but I've learned I don't like some things about it. I find that its harder to start right at the ends with it because of the dimensions, and its black so I don't like the fact that I can't really see how many strands I'm pulling out. I will use it on stretched hair but not on wash day, and I'll have to get a pink one. It really is the best brush I've ever tried though. For now, I find that a comb does fine on its own starting at the ends on soaking wet hair. Finger detangling a little before using the comb takes it up a notch too in terms of ease! I want to add in a slippery detangler to my routine, anyone got any recs?

Also, something new I've learned is detangling in long splits of hair works better and easier for detangling. In other words, long rectangle shaped sections works better than using square shaped sections for me. I can pull the hair more taut from root to tip so my ends don't recurl up as I'm bringing the comb through, which saves me time and hair.

Happy hair growing ladies!

faithVA

Hey, FaithVA, how has your hair been coming along since you've had the anaysis?
@BrownSkinQT

Sorry I'm just answering you. I'm just getting back from vacation. I've had a lot of setbacks since my analysis so I haven' made as much progress as I would have liked. I' hoping this year is the year I reach a major milestone.

My hair is still dry but slowly I think I am understanding it a bit better.

I had my hair done while on vacation so here's the latest.

20180427_152302.jpg

snoop

Also, something new I've learned is detangling in long splits of hair works better and easier for detangling. In other words, long rectangle shaped sections works better than using square shaped sections for me. I can pull the hair more taut from root to tip so my ends don't recurl up as I'm bringing the comb through, which saves me time and hair.

Happy hair growing ladies!

I think this is something that I've figured a hundred times over but never really set into permanent practice -- hence having to figure it out again and again. Thanks for writing this. I hope it sticks with me this time.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!

@icsonia22 Aloe Vera is great! I don't remember it causing shrinkage for me, but I think I used to dilute it with water. Always purchased it from FNWL, I'm a 4B natural btw.

BrownSkinQT

@BrownSkinQT

Sorry I'm just answering you. I'm just getting back from vacation. I've had a lot of setbacks since my analysis so I haven' made as much progress as I would have liked. I' hoping this year is the year I reach a major milestone.

My hair is still dry but slowly I think I am understanding it a bit better.

I had my hair done while on vacation so here's the latest.

View attachment 429457
NICE! Those analysises completely take out the guess work. Glad you're in a good hair space.

Ipanema

Now that warm weather has reached my neck of the woods, I need a new hairstyle. I've been wearing it loose, and it feels like a hot, knitted scarf around my neck. Also, the humidity. Twists are convenient, but I'm so tired of them. I have an idea in my head, and I'm going to see if it works since I like get up & go hair. Anyone else have hot weather hairstyle plans?

Dee-Licious

Hair was feeling dry, and I wanted to do a quick cowash.
This had my hair feeling heavenly. An oldie but goody.

fluffyforever

I'm subbing! I'm a 4b/4c girl. The front of my hair is a tight wave, the sides of my hair coil more the size of pen springs, my crown is just a fuzzy cloud, my nape has a weird s and zig zag curl thing going on. It's cottony and not silky at all. Shrinkage is at least 75-90% if I let it. High porosity ends that like to tangle. It stays dry, has ssks galore, splits, split ends, mid shaft bubble splits... a lot of times I wonder why I even keep pushing on with this natural thing after 10 years.

But then I have days like today that remind me how much I love my hair. I need to do better to have more good days than bad.

My hair needs to be stretched and I should never let it dry loose to prevent tangles.

I need to shampoo with sulfates. My scalp and hair do better with tthe weekly removal of product buildup.

I need to heavy seal with a thick oil like melted shea butter. This helps my hair stretch and prevents ssks by giving a little slip. And it really helps keep the moisture in from wash day.

I need to comb to remove shed hair and keep hair smooth and in the same direction. I use Hercules Sagemann combs.

I'm starting a new regime to use the rest of the year to see if it helps with my issues. I've been really lazy and wearing puffs everyday and the ends of my hair has suffered.
I've learned that I can let my hair dry loose for wash and goes styles. As long as I do not try to detangle when it's dry, I don't have issues with tangling and my hair freezes in place.

I need a good trim this weekend. Maybe that will stop the few tangles I am getting.

Current wash and go regimen for the summer:
- Daily cowash
- Daily apply leave in on wet hair
- Daily apply styler on wet hair
- Daily shake and plop wet hair
- Weekly shampoo & DC with heat
- Monthly chelate and clarify
- Monthly comb detangle

Cattypus1

All loced up...
@fluffyforever I would love to see a pic of your hair. How long is your hair? Do you get a defined WNG without crunch? What do you do with your hair at night? I’m a 4b-c and I’ve just learned to cowash successfully...at least I can leave the house. Which products do you use? I do want to find someone who’s hair looks like mine.

fluffyforever

@fluffyforever I would love to see a pic of your hair. How long is your hair? Do you get a defined WNG without crunch? What do you do with your hair at night? I’m a 4b-c and I’ve just learned to cowash successfully...at least I can leave the house. Which products do you use? I do want to find someone who’s hair looks like mine.
The coils are very small in diameter and in some spots my hair is only kinky and doesn't coil at all. I'm chin length at the front, past APL at my ear, and BSL at the nape. I have high shrinkage.

At night I put my hair in a bonnet or tie down with a scarf. Doing so smashes all my hair together, but it doesn't tangle. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to make a WNG last more than 1 day. So I only wear the scarf or bonnet to protect my ends from my cotton pillow.

I get no crunch on my WNG and it is pretty defined at the ends. The roots are not as defined and are more kinky straight (maybe because I haven't reached max hydration yet). Each day my hair seems to coil more but that could be my imagination.

Today I used APB ultra conditioning soufflé to cowash and detangle with fingers. Then I added Oyin Hair Dew for leave-in. Then I added Wetline Xtreme gel. This was a great combo- no flakes and no crunch, and my hair seems to stay moisturized.

I think it's about technique more than products though. I do everything in the shower. It's quicker and still as effective.