APL 2012 Challenge

Hello Ladies,

I took a little break from hair. I stopped DCing. I only shampoo and condition after each swimming session. I don't even know if my hair is breaking/shedding. After washing, it goes straight into a wet pony. I need to go back to caring for my hair but cannot muster the energy.

*long sigh*

I hope everyone is doing better and achieving their goals.

Deep down, I am hoping the low manipulation will let me reach my goal of full APL by year's end. :ohwell:

Shampooed and currently DCing my hair at the moment. Going back into Celies. I'm in an extreme funk lately (about life in general) so I need a break from everything.

Lurkee & NikkiQ. Hi y'all. I could be wrong, but it seem like you both are in the dumps? I get like that in the summer sometimes too. Go figure. Sometime's I sniff peppermint EO and that cheers me up. Hang in there.

NikkiQ
Reggie:
-Wash 1x a week currently using Paul Mitchell Special Tea Tree Shampoo & the Matching Conditioner. Sometimes I use Aphogee Shampoo for damaged hair and the balancing moisturizer afterwards

-After Wash I rollerset 90% of the time using Paul mitchell leave in conditioner & paul mitchell super skinny serum. I don't really experience much breakage from rollersetting. I end up with less shed hairs after rollersetting than if I air dry

-List of Moisturizers I currently use: HE LTR, Hairveda Whipped Ends

-List of Oils/ serums I currently use: Hairveda Vatika frosting, organix macadamia styling oil, organix anti breakage coconut serum, hot six oil, argan magic argan oil

-Topical Treatments/ Growth aids: Bee Mine Oil w/ sulfur about 1-2x per week & i take biotin, hair skin nails & fish oil pills whenever I rememeber but I'm trying to get better at taking them every day

-Protein Treatments - APhogee 2 step, Aphogee 2 min (did the 2 step protein after my relaxer and also 2 weeks after that I used the aphogee 2 min because I felt like my hair was mushy)

-Other DC - ORS Replenishing pak (havent used in a while), macadamia natural oil deep repair masque (haven't used in a while)

I usually relax every 12-15 weeks. I don't use direct heat EVER... I dont even own a blowdryer or a flat iron. I trim my own ends but its hard because its all different lengths and I have shorter pieces near the crown with some breakage. My last trim was around April/ May

I know my hair is growing because I get a lot of NG but the length is staying the same so I am getting zero retention. I dyed my hair about 1.5 yrs ago and its all grown out to about SL but the ends still have some color damage.

I moisturize and seal at least 1 time a day. I am guilty of sometimes not sleeping with a scarf or when I do it comes off. I have been wearing high buns & sometimes low buns everyday. And I only wore my hair "down" 3 times since may

lamaria211
It seems dry, there are long breakage, short breakage, and long pieces of shed hair. I last trime in april/ may. I trimmed myself. I haven't gotten a professional trim in a while.

I am sure the more knowledgeable ladies can get you through this hard time. Don't give up; we are all here to learn and help each other. And remember it is a journey, so we gotta keep moving. My personal experience with bunning was always dry small broken pieces of hair everyday. I mean i had zero retention for about 2 months; i had lots of new growth but my hair was getting even shorter. Then from information i got in one of the thread i found out that the little hair scrunchies i was using to hold the bun in place were sucking the moisture out of my ends. I didn't know then that i had to use silk covered scrunchies. I stopped bunning all together and switch to a different protective style. But if i ever want to bun again i will not use those cotton ones. And if you are using the cotton ones to hold your ponytail before you bun, that may explain the long broken pieces. The tension in that area plus the sucking up of the moisture will cause you major damage. HTH.

Hey ladies hope everyone's week is off to a great start ;-) I'm braided up and wigging it until further notice I wanted a short cut so I bought one lol so far me likey!

Anybody on mfp or instagram? I'm back at trying to lose these last Lil 15 lbs I fell off when school started in May my name on mfp is polished07 on IG it's sweetfaceluxe but I'm really random on there lol
Really nice look @polished07! It's very natural!

Laaadddieeeesss !!

I'm struggling over here :( My SL hair is NOT RETAINING! I've been bunning everyday. I M&S almost every night. I try to tie it up ina satin or silk scarf. Sometimes I forget or sometimes it comes off. But for the most part I'm doing a good job.

I apply Bee Mine Sulfur Serum about 1-2 times a week (I don't like the smell so I don't use it more often). I experience lots of shedding and some breakage. I honestly don't know what to do anymore.

I think I just might give up and not care anymore. And if my hair grows then great. But if not then its whatever.
@lovebug10 how are you detangling your hair?

Do you detangle on wet or dry hair?
Do you use a wide tooth comb or brush?
When do you see more of the breakage/shedding when waking up or taking out a protective style?

Let's see if we can pinpoint when you experience the most breakage/shedding?

Last edited:
Shampooed and currently DCing my hair at the moment. Going back into Celies. I'm in an extreme funk lately (about life in general) so I need a break from everything.

This is me to a T today. I'm usually upbeat and happy but right now.... I'm really needing to purify myself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka. :look:

lamaria211 said:
Im to old for another social network lol ide be on there posting length checks:)

Lol ppl do too! I post a lot of hair stuff on there theres a huge natural hair following on there great way to network too ;-) come join us!

Hey yall,:grin:
Here are my answers to the questions:

SL

Relaxed

APL goal month Dec 2012

Current Reggie: Cowash twice a week then shampoo with DC following my protein conditioner.

Styling choices : phony ponys, buns and rollersets. Flat iron only once a week between 10 to 12 week post relaxers.

Changes: Try to moisturize more between cowashes and shampoos.

Will post pic from last relaxer June 22 from phone.

NaturalfienD i did the hard protein about 2 weeks ago. I was thinking of getting twists. I do think the buns put a lot of stress on my hair so I may change up my PS. I think I'm going to invest in the roux porosity control. How do I know if it worked? will I feel a difference in my hair?

NikkiQ You're right... I need a new moisturizing DC. I think I may get some organix ones that were on sale at the pharmacy the other day. I just placed a shescentit & darcy's botanicals order & i dont feel like paying extra shipping to add a new item :( Hopefully the Organix Moisturizing ones will be a good buy? I was thinking the argan oil one?

ronie thanks so much! You know I do worry my buns put too much tension on the hair. Especially my ends since my hair isn't that long yet. I'm going to use a jaw clip instead and just clip my hair up and see if that makes anything better :)

livinthevida I detangle dry with a wide tooth comb. I have a conair brush that is the imitation of a denman d9 but I took out 2 of the rows. I use that sometimes too. I also have a denman bristle brush with nylon quills in it for laying my hair own smooth if I need to. I see breakage whenever I just manipulate my hair. Usually when I take it down theres a lot so maybe my buns are doing more bad than good.

Thanks ladies for all the help! I just ordered some new leave ins to moisturize & seal with. Until then I will wash & rollerset and try to clip my hair up without bunning so that I don't put too much tension on my hair. I will also get a good moisturizing DC later tomorrow. I think I might try the organix argan oil one! Anyone try it?

lovebug10 I've never used Organix before so I can't help you with that one. Have you ever tried Silk Elements mega moisture treatment or Aussie 3 minute deeep condish? You can find them locally so no shipping charges to worry about.

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

Lurkee & NikkiQ. Hi y'all. I could be wrong, but it seem like you both are in the dumps? I get like that in the summer sometimes too. Go figure. Sometime's I sniff peppermint EO and that cheers me up. Hang in there.

I think something stronger than an EO to sniff to cheer me up. :look:

Kidding! Thanks for this MeowMix, I am in a funk with just my hair. I wonder why the happiness from other areas cannot be transferred.

I just finished putting twists in. I'm set for the net week or so. :yep:

NikkiQ I love your plaits and color! I want to color sooooo bad lol. But I'd have to buy new phony ponies :lachen:

Just wanted to share this pic my aspiring photographing nephew (14yrs old) snapped of me yesterday.

View attachment 159521

Well go on with ya bad self nephew! That's a good shot.

I just finished putting twists in. I'm set for the net week or so. :yep:

@NikkiQ I love your plaits and color! I want to color sooooo bad lol. But I'd have to buy new phony ponies :lachen:

My constant urge to dye is the reason why I only have 1 phony pony left :lol:

This challenge is soooo much more fun!

Well come back in here and post away woman. You can be an APL Veteran and post like you did before if you don't wanna be the incognegro APL Ninja anymore.

Back