APL 2012 Challenge

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Finally gave my hair the trim it needed after the Denman debacle. I think it was more SSK's than splits, or damage...all in all, didn't need the heavy trim I thought I would! Yay!

Hyacinthe

afroette said:
do you ladies know of an alternative to oils for sealing? i tried reg castor oil, JBCO, jojoba oil, and coconut oil. I think they are all too much for my hair. Should I use some sort of butter?

ETA: I need something lighter than oil. I am going to try Chi Silk infusion.

My hair is easily weigh down also but I tried grapeseed and it's so light on my hair. Also it helps not to be heavy handed.

Healthy hair is what I long 4

jprayze

Hyacinthe said:
My hair is easily weigh down also but I tried grapeseed and it's so light on my hair. Also it helps not to be heavy handed.

Healthy hair is what I long 4

I 2nd grapeseed oil!!!

MsSonya

I 3rd the grapeseed oil.:giggle: Glad I found it by accident.
I think I am going to start to finger detangle in the shower, this is going to be hard. It works, but I just like to feel the rake smoothing my hair out. And only comb/detangle once a week. :ohwell:

NaturalfienD

Ladies...question time!!!

As this weather gets more and more ridiculously hot out, what are you guys doing to make sure that your hair stays moisturized and protected? What moisturizers are you using? Protecting your hair from exposure with scarves? Trying any different techniques to make sure your hair stays moisturized longer?

Hey Ms. NikkiQ ~

What I have been doing to keep my hair from drying out in this 111 degree weather is daily spritzing of water, a cap fill of silk amino acid (from what I understand, it is a moisturizing protein :lick:) and some aloe vera juice. It cools my scalp instantly when I put it on- I really like the mixture! I co-wash often and when I do, I make sure I seal with castor oil to keep moisture in my hair. I am still PSing in extension twists, which is protecting my hair from this horrid heat in Vegas and assisting in retaining length at the same damn time. :lachen: (<~ that was funny to me ... I hope I have that song stuck in your head girl ...)

Thanks for asking that great question ... now I am heading back with my ninja clique :ninja:

NaturalfienD

Checking in...my braiding skills must suck big time, my braids look a week old and it's only day 2... I can literally pull strands of hair out of a braid..I'd if it's because I just got a relaxer or if my hairs just to soft or if I really need more braiding practice but this is awful...I will be takin these bad boys out at the end of the week =\

Mjon912 ~ Don't be discouraged about your braids girl. I struggled the first few installs to the point where my braids were slipping down my hair. Practice really does make perfect and the beauty of doing a not so good install is that you become aware of what you could do next time to have a good set. Do you have to take your entire install out? Those braids that are slipping, could you just redo those to get you through another week or two? I bet you anything the next time you give it a shot that you will be better than before!!! :yep:

longhairdreaming

As this weather gets more and more ridiculously hot out, what are you guys doing to make sure that your hair stays moisturized and protected? What moisturizers are you using? Protecting your hair from exposure with scarves? Trying any different techniques to make sure your hair stays moisturized longer?

I'm keeping my hair in plats, cowashing every day and sealing with pure argan oil. I'm also using scarves everyday to protect my hair from the elements. I'm also GHEing at night.

mami2010

Well ladies I will be dedicated to protective styling for the next few months.

Here is my first time putting my hair in a bun, I think I like it because its so easy and quick to do.

Attachments

• IMG_6684.JPG
    IMG_6684.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6682.JPG
    IMG_6682.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6674.JPG
    IMG_6674.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6678.JPG
    IMG_6678.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 39

livinthevida

@ronie
Thanks I have been focusing on thickness lately and not so much growth. This time around for next check in I will be focusing on length more and I need to start protective styling more. I purchased a few wigs I will be rocking to September.

By the way my workout routine consists of 45 minutes jogging outside (5 days per week at 5am before my 2 children wake up). Then I come back into the house and do 3-4 sets of 15 push ups 50 situps. Lately on Saturdays which is my off days I do squats(20) all the way to the floor and some lunges.

After I had my 2 children I was 170 lbs. that was about 5 years ago. Now I am 114 lbs. I stayed determined and put myself through boot camps every once in awhile.

Working out first thing in the morning without eating you will get the best results. If you do choose to eat before working out eat only something with protein only like egg whites. Sometimes I have a cup of black coffee no cream no sugar. After my workouts I drink a shake Syntha 6 protein powder mixed with ultra fuel which is a carbohydrate.

I could go on and about working out. If you need any more tips just inbox me. Working out is my passion and would love to have my own gym one day. Soon I will be starting a blog on working out. Once I do I will let you know.
Excellent workout routine mami2010! I have learned consistency is key to a healthy lifestyle! Working out can be so addictive as it feels GREAT :grin: and the results last our entire lives! Kudos to you for keeping up with the motivation and drive to stay fit & healthy!

@livinthevida thank you so much for being a very encouraging :clapping: 'APL ninja' in this thread.
MeowMix :bighug: plus I need to up my friends here at LHCF! You are officially number 2 since January :lol:

Hey ladies, just checking in. I'm doin well, just did a protein treatment n put my hair in 2 french braids. Check the ng at 6 weeks post! :)
View attachment 159065
growbaby I may have missed this earlier but what protein treatment do you use? how do you know when you need to apply protein?

:lachen: That's how I'm about to feel in a few days.

Hey ladies, still in my braids over here. Going to redo them tomorrow before heading on vacation(then home to the US!!! yay). I was going to try to do a cute style but I'll just use my assortment of scarves like I've been doing for the past three months. I have learned though I need to take my conditioner with me for these two week jaunts and cowash every couple days at least. I know I'm truly hair obsessed 'cause of all my concerns I could possibly have(getting my house in order 'cause I'll be gone 6weeks, making sure not to exceed the weight allowance for my luggage, navigating my way to the chunnel) not knowing if the areas I'll be visiting have hard water or not has been nagging me :perplexed...sad but true
longhairdreaming Wishing you a very safe journey throughout your travels and a return home to the US :usa:

NikkiQ you know me hair oil today, tomorrow and all day :drunk: I love this stuff especially since it is natural, goes on very easy, and has no side effects. As I near closer to my 6 month HHJ Anniversary on July 28 I am planning to make the leap to mesh rollers while using a dryer. I plan to continue massage of Wild Growth Hair Oil (WGHO) on my scalp and apply R&B (Revive and Balance) hair moisturizer available here by Lush Cosmetics! Until these arrive I'll continue to roller set using WGHO and apply my Deep Conditioning Mask weekly.

do you ladies know of an alternative to oils for sealing? i tried reg castor oil, JBCO, jojoba oil, and coconut oil. I think they are all too much for my hair. Should I use some sort of butter?

ETA: I need something lighter than oil. I am going to try Chi Silk infusion.
afroette how about Olive Oil or Grapeseed Oil? I considered using these before settling on OCO ;)

lilyofthenile

Hi all,

I've abstained from hair forums and hair channels... anything hair related.

My seb derm is spinning out of control. I don't know what to do anymore. I've been attempting the raw honey/coconut oil treatment and I have another three weeks to go. I hope this cures it so that I can start focusing on the health of my hair and on my length journey. I don't think I'll get to APL. I've suffered too much hairloss and my scalp is just too sensitive.

Anyway, I wish all of you ladies the best!

Your Cheeziness

lilyofthenile said:
Hi all,

I've abstained from hair forums and hair channels... anything hair related.

My seb derm is spinning out of control. I don't know what to do anymore. I've been attempting the raw honey/coconut oil treatment and I have another three weeks to go. I hope this cures it so that I can start focusing on the health of my hair and on my length journey. I don't think I'll get to APL. I've suffered too much hairloss and my scalp is just too sensitive.

Anyway, I wish all of you ladies the best!

I have it as well. Head and Shoulders shampoo helps me. But, what I saw the biggest difference was is using essential oils on my scalp. It was quite by accident. I had some Jane Carter hair serum to use. So I just tried it on my scalp and it did wonders. It's expensive so when I run out, I'll make my own, but between those two things, mine is under control. Hth and don't give up. It's trial and error for us unfortunately.

The Princess

pelohello said:
I finally took pics of my scalp burns and I wa almost in tears. I hadn't realized how bad it was. I have no idea what could of caused this on just one side of my head.

I stopped using vaseline on the burns and started using JBCO and pure argon oil. That seems to be helping. Will that area grow back? I think I'm gonna post this on the relaxed thread too.

I am really upset about this:perplexed

Your hair looks good. What king of relaxer you use.

growbaby

livinthevida said:
growbaby I may have missed this earlier but what protein treatment do you use? how do you know when you need to apply protein?

Once a month I do a hard protein treatment with 2 eggs EVOO and a squirt of ORS replenishing condish.

During the month if I see too many little broken hairs I do a milder protein treatment as needed. I use organics hair mayo. I end up using that 1-2 times a month, it depends on how my hair is acting.

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
mami2010 said:

Here is my first time putting my hair in a bun, I think I like it because its so easy and quick to do.

mami2010,
Your bun and hair accessory is gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

ronie

Who said bunning is boring?:perplexed. I really love your bun. Where did you get the accessory?

ronie

ronie
Thanks I have been focusing on thickness lately and not so much growth. This time around for next check in I will be focusing on length more and I need to start protective styling more. I purchased a few wigs I will be rocking to September.

By the way my workout routine consists of 45 minutes jogging outside (5 days per week at 5am before my 2 children wake up). Then I come back into the house and do 3-4 sets of 15 push ups 50 situps. Lately on Saturdays which is my off days I do squats(20) all the way to the floor and some lunges.

After I had my 2 children I was 170 lbs. that was about 5 years ago. Now I am 114 lbs. I stayed determined and put myself through boot camps every once in awhile.
Working out first thing in the morning without eating you will get the best results. If you do choose to eat before working out eat only something with protein only like egg whites. Sometimes I have a cup of black coffee no cream no sugar. After my workouts I drink a shake Syntha 6 protein powder mixed with ultra fuel which is a carbohydrate.

I could go on and about working out. If you need any more tips just inbox me. Working out is my passion and would love to have my own gym one day. Soon I will be starting a blog on working out. Once I do I will let you know.

Your hard work does show. After my daughter i gained about 30 lbs. My workout is not as solid as yours but i managed to go from 160 to 140 lbs. But i might have hit a plateau cause i have not lost anything since early june. My goal is to be 120- 125 lbs by DH and DD birthday in october. I'm only 5 feet, so i will still look a little thinck, but 125 has always been my happy weight. I second the working out before breakfast; that's the only thing that gets my metabolism going strong even on my cheat days. I will be pming you for sure, and do let me know about your blog. Good luck on your gym dream/project. I hope it's a success. Just make sure we get a sauna for our deep conditioning :lol:

NikkiQ

Shampooed and currently DCing my hair at the moment. Going back into Celies. I'm in an extreme funk lately (about life in general) so I need a break from everything.

ronie

Wash/cowash and deep condition 2x week, leave in, seal with argan oil, 6 cornrows. Spray cornrow once to twice a day with s-curl and water mix, seal with argan oil. GHE under my wig when going out or to work. Redo cornrows one at a time every week.
Also apply JBCO to scalp after each m&s session.

polished07

Hey ladies hope everyone's week is off to a great start ;-) I'm braided up and wigging it until further notice I wanted a short cut so I bought one lol so far me likey!

Anybody on mfp or instagram? I'm back at trying to lose these last Lil 15 lbs I fell off when school started in May my name on mfp is polished07 on IG it's sweetfaceluxe but I'm really random on there lol

Attachments

• image-3108277835.jpg
    image-3108277835.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 59