BSL 2012 Challenge!!!

SmilingElephant

I'm SO glad its getting hot hot hott!! Wash N Go city!!! I don't know what i'm gonna do come Fall...maybe more buns?

I'm DC'ing right now..tryna use up my Novex Chocolate deep treatment. That thing lasted a long time!:shocked: I don't know how long its been in my hair:look:

RegaLady

So the heat and with summer on the way, I installed some twists with extensions. I like them even though they are hot. I have to say even though I retained some good length from the braids, I had breakage :(. I won't trim until the twists are out. I will try to leave these in for about 4-6 weeks considering they took a while to put in.

RegaLady

Ugh, frustrated again! Does anyone know, MzSwift, what hair to use when doing twist extensions? I should have asked before installing but the hair I used is crunchy and hard and I don't know the effect that will have on my own natural hair. I have spritzing my twists down like crazy. I want to be able to maintain moisture and retain length while having these twists in. Any ideas? Or should I go and take the twists down and start over?:ohwell:

faithVA

[USER=46883 said:
RegaLady[/USER];16026567]Ugh, frustrated again! Does anyone know, @MzSwift, what hair to use when doing twist extensions? I should have asked before installing but the hair I used is crunchy and hard and I don't know the effect that will have on my own natural hair. I have spritzing my twists down like crazy. I want to be able to maintain moisture and retain length while having these twists in. Any ideas? Or should I go and take the twists down and start over?:ohwell:

I use marley braid hair when doing kinky twists. Not sure if those are the types of twist you did. Some people wash their hair before starting.

As long as you keep your hair moisturized underneath you should be ok. Are you planning on washing in the twist? Usually when you wash and condtion everything softens right up. In the mean time, get a good braid spray, something with glycerin helps soften up everything.

RegaLady

I use marley braid hair when doing kinky twists. Not sure if those are the types of twist you did. Some people wash their hair before starting.

As long as you keep your hair moisturized underneath you should be ok. Are you planning on washing in the twist? Usually when you wash and condtion everything softens right up. In the mean time, get a good braid spray, something with glycerin helps soften up everything.

faithVA,

Thank you so much for this!!! You saved me from taking out all my hard work. Yes, I have the marley braid hair. I will wash after two weeks and yes for now I am using a glycerin spray to help soft everything. Thanks a ton! :yep:

lamaria211

The whit bra pic is my startimg pic and the no bea pic was taken about a month ago. Im getting there very slowly but surely

ForumRunner_20120526_194136.jpg

ForumRunner_20120526_194234.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120526_194024.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120526_194024.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 44

Imani

Ugh, frustrated again! Does anyone know, MzSwift, what hair to use when doing twist extensions? I should have asked before installing but the hair I used is crunchy and hard and I don't know the effect that will have on my own natural hair. I have spritzing my twists down like crazy. I want to be able to maintain moisture and retain length while having these twists in. Any ideas? Or should I go and take the twists down and start over?:ohwell:

RegaLady Not trying to scare you or tell you to take your twists down...but just wanted to add my experience with the Marley braid hair. I have fine, porous, 4b hair and a sensitive scalp. I used this hair for kinky twist extensions when I was transitioning. I didn't have the best experience. Could've been user error or just specific to me. I kept them in for a month. The hair was so hard, it made my scalp hurt and itch. It also dried out and tangled/knotted with my hair when I took them out. It wasn't a horrific experience, didn't cause a major setback or anything but I wouldn't do it again. I just remember the fake hair felt so hard up against my real hair and I had a few bad knots.

I used a spray moisturizer almost daily and also shampooed and DC'd my hair at the two week mark; My shampoo technique was I sprayed my scalp with water and shampoo mix.

RegaLady

@RegaLady Not trying to scare you or tell you to take your twists down...but just wanted to add my experience with the Marley braid hair. I have fine, porous, 4b hair and a sensitive scalp. I used this hair for kinky twist extensions when I was transitioning. I didn't have the best experience. Could've been user error or just specific to me. I kept them in for a month. The hair was so hard, it made my scalp hurt and itch. It also dried out and tangled/knotted with my hair when I took them out. It wasn't a horrific experience, didn't cause a major setback or anything but I wouldn't do it again. I just remember the fake hair felt so hard up against my real hair and I had a few bad knots.

I used a spray moisturizer almost daily and also shampooed and DC'd my hair at the two week mark; My shampoo technique was I sprayed my scalp with water and shampoo mix.

Imani

Thank you so much for this:yep:. The hair is hard and crunchy and the funny part is it didn't really feel that way until I put the hair in. One brand was softer and still is softer than the other. I don't think I would do the FEMI brand ever again. It feels like wire:nono:. But I will take your advice.

MzSwift

RegaLady

Sorry so lte...
I use Janet Marley braid for kinky twists as well. It's very light hair. Compared to my normal, senegalese-type twist extensions, the hair is more rough feeling. But YOUR hair should not be. Did you use anything on your hair when you installed them?

I make my own braid spray of 70-80% water + a squirt or two of moisturizing condish + a few dropss of peppermint/EVOO and a citrus oil. My hair doesn't respond well to glycerin so I tend not to use it but many swear by it. I spray my hair twice per day and wrap it up every night to maintain the style.

If you don't feel like mixing your own, I like African Royale braid spray. Sometimes, I'll mix a little Infusium 23 into my mix or with the African Royale.

I used to wash in my extensions but I've decided not to unless I plan to wear them in an upstyle. I wash with an 80/20, water/product, mix.

Try the moisturizing for a week. You may want to try doing it multiple times per day for a week. If your hair doesn't feel better, IA that you should take them down and start over.

HTH! :)

RegaLady

@RegaLady

Sorry so lte...
I use Janet Marley braid for kinky twists as well. It's very light hair. Compared to my normal, senegalese-type twist extensions, the hair is more rough feeling. But YOUR hair should not be. Did you use anything on your hair when you installed them?

I make my own braid spray of 70-80% water + a squirt or two of moisturizing condish + a few dropss of peppermint/EVOO and a citrus oil. My hair doesn't respond well to glycerin so I tend not to use it but many swear by it. I spray my hair twice per day and wrap it up every night to maintain the style.

If you don't feel like mixing your own, I like African Royale braid spray. Sometimes, I'll mix a little Infusium 23 into my mix or with the African Royale.

I used to wash in my extensions but I've decided not to unless I plan to wear them in an upstyle. I wash with an 80/20, water/product, mix.

Try the moisturizing for a week. You may want to try doing it multiple times per day for a week. If your hair doesn't feel better, IA that you should take them down and start over.

HTH! :)

Thank you Mz.Swift. I will try the Janet Collection next time. The hair is softening up, but I will not be getting this brand again. Your spray sounds like the spritz I use, it makes my hair softer but not the extensions itself. I will wait about a week to see if the weave breaks a little.

PaigeJessica

I know I'm late, but thanks for letting me join!

What is your goal date for BSL?

December 31st, 2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story?

This will be my first time ever being BSL as an adult. My hair was long when I was about 4, but I can't remember if it was past BSL or not. When I cut my relaxer off almost two years ago it was a little above APL so I'm excited to be making new length milestones now that I'm natural.

Whats your current length?

APL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning?

Natural

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)

I shampoo and deep condition weekly. My shampoo is Giovanni 50:50 and my conditioner is Aubrey Organic White Camellia. I add raw honey and olive oil to the conditioner to make a DC. I always DC for an hour on dry hair. I protective style usually. Lately I've been wearing buns more often just because I can. I don't use heat except for my hooded dryer.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL?

Focus on MBL and WL!! WL 2013!! :yay:

My starting picture taken April 22nd of this year.

ManiiSweetheart

Well I'll just join away ways haha !
December 31st 2012 11:59 pm

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story?
I've never been bsl before and im on
my way to WL hair.

Fully Natural

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL?
Weekly shampoo.
Alternating moisture/protein DC
Henna once. Month
Protective styling ... Mainly bunning due to my laziness.
MN scrub on Scalp everyday

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? Treat myself to a Dominican blow out. Then back to work on MBL!

Attachments

• image-3561730084.jpg
    image-3561730084.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 48

growbaby

Good morning ladies.. I joined this challenge at the beginning of the year but wasn't too active only being SL. I am now APL and here to stay :) .. I have 7 months to grow 3 inches to BSL and I think I can do it! Hope u ladies have a wonderful week.

irisak

Is this challenge still open? I think I have a chance of making this goal now that I made APl. Especially if I keep Psing like I have all year.

Imani

Imani RegaLady Janet so far has given me the softest kinky twists ever and they remained soft the entire 6 weeks I had them in

I don't remember the brand I used. It was an African Braiding shop and they already had the hair there, I'm sure it wasn't the best quality. But it turned me off from the entire experience. My head itched so bad and that hair felt like straw. It did soften up some over time after constantly moisturizing it, but it still was very rough compared to how soft my real hair was and tangled badly. It made me never want to get synthetic hair again.

ManiiSweetheart

Imani said:
I don't remember the brand I used. It was an African Braiding shop and they already had the hair there, I'm sure it wasn't the best quality. But it turned me off from the entire experience. My head itched so bad and that hair felt like straw. It did soften up some over time after constantly moisturizing it, but it still was very rough compared to how soft my real hair was and tangled badly. It made me never want to get synthetic hair again.

Most synthetic braiding hair is coated with ... Some chemical I forgot the name of and the only way to get it off of the hair is to do a vinegar bath/soak with the hair before installation or shampoo ... That chemical causes the itchiness and irritation.

irisak

Imani said:
Let's do it!!! :grin:

Yep, its about that time, 2011 is winding down, time to get ready for 2012 goals. :yep: So lets get it popping!

Alright, ya'll know the drill by now, answer the questions and post a pic if you are down. I know some people like to use BSB (Below Shoulder Blade) instead of BSL (Bra Strap Length), so that's cool as well.

**You can post a starting pic now or at least post one before Jan 1, 2012. If you plan to use BSL as your length goal, I would suggest choosing a bra right now that u will wear for update pics for consistency**

Updates (if possible, I know some people will be in hide your hair type challenges) will be--
Jan 1 (starting pic)
April 30
August 31
December 31

...but also feel free to check in/update progress any time in between.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? (ie. This will be your first time ever being BSL; You were BSL but had a setback, or BC’d or chopped it off for a style and want it back again; You were BSL back in the day and now trying to achieve it again, etc.)

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning?

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Please add a starting pic now or at least before Jan 1 2012

Challengers:
Imani
Soquin
tasha5951
SmilingElephant
faithVA
chickle
youwillrise
Solitude
GroovyMama
Seamonster
JeterCrazed
MsDee14
Beverly Ann Properties
IndifinableJoli
prettybyrd
Tdwillis
g.lo
indarican
FlawedBeauty
Kamilla16
Majestye
LivingDol1
Trini_Chutney
JerriBlank
unique4lyfe33
Uniqzoe
EbonyCPrincess
miss_cheveious
creolefox
Ravengirl
iamtan
LuvlyRain3
13StepsAhead
SUNSHINE BABY
naturalagain2
esi.adokowa
mstokes2008
MzSwift
naturalbeauty21
jprayze
PlainJane
MyAngelEyez~C~U
Guyaneek
shortdub78
Phiippians413
Rapunzel1309
nissi
ladysaraii
GIJane
Skiggle
zoeyy
Miryoku
Wanderland
Nayna
ErikaUK
Ronnieaj
BrookeLynn
Readyone
brickhouse
newnyer
WantNatural
Missdelicious1
transitioning?
kandiekj100
ms.mimi
NappyNelle
An_gell
Firstborn2
candy626:woot:
NaeChail
hair4romheaven
MsLi@512
lolita1987
brickhouse
Shana'
silenttullip
Gemini350z
Curly Lee
Jerseygurl
Khaiya
Beauty by Nature
NaturallyTori
Charla
Whimsy :yay:
skraprchik
TdotGirl
tiredbeauty
Aggie
lawyer2be371
DearJohn
ErikaUK
ImanAdero
Highly Favored8
LilMissSunshine5
Missdelicious1
PrissyMum1908
zoeyy
prettypithy
JustGROWwithIt
NYRICAN1
SherylsTresses:party:
Softerlove
ynotbd1
MsKikiStar
LoveBeautyKisses
prettynatural
lamaria211
chickory_bee
babyshuf2
ATLcutey20
kristaa.10
inneedofhelptx
DayDreamist
iamtan
kinky_curlygenie
GreenEyedJen
brownsugarbaby
mami2010
ProductJunkie
ashboog
cornell34
KhandiB
Foxglove
SunySydeofLyfe
Zaz
smwrigh3
AryaStarr258
Missinadaa16
Mane_Attraxion
manter26
coolsista-paris
Grand Prix
Krystle~Hyme
YoursTrulyRE
UGQueen
tashboog
Missi
nadaa16
bestblackgirl
baddison
Chiquitita
winona
Kerryann
TruMe:party:
sugarwater
growbaby
NaturalBlackGurl
simplyconfident
vandidix
nevaeh
septemberbaby
kismettt
djkforeal
makeupgirl
trendsetta25
BlkOnyx488
MsRana
CJ22
chickory_bee
Victorian
sugahoney
SincerelyBeautiful
clairelynette
BlkOnyx488
newbeginnings2010
belletropjolie
RENIBELL:grin:
Nelli04
DivaJones
bride91501
ScorpioLove:woot:
I'm on my phone do I can't copy and paste.
My goal date for bsl is 12/31/12
I was close to bsl as a child but have always hovered at sl to apl as an adult. I am currently apl (yay!!!!!)! I've always had fairly healthy hair care practices but had issues retaining length and was infamous for setbacks from too much heat or not having a set reggie. Now I'm serious about hhg.
Here is my starting pic from the beginning of this month. I'm going to take another progress pic when I take down my sew in the end of June.

Eta the other answers.
I currently take a multivitamin, plus 2530 mcg of booting. I've been psing in sew ins. I co wash 2-3 times weekly (gotta love s good curly weave) and shampoo biweekly. I moisturize every other day with an applicator bottle containing mn, rosewater, vatika, grapeseed oil, and evoo. When i take my install down/prep for a new one, I clarify,dc, do a hard protein treatment as needed, and do a hot. I then coat my strand while damp in a homemade shew butter blend and let air dry prior to blending.
I'm not sure what I'll do when I hit bsl. Hairorexia is already kicking in and I only believe I'm apl when looking at pics. My goal length is mbl so I'll probably swing for a few weeks and then get back on the psing grind lol
Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120530_000753.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120530_000753.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

irisak

So I'm thinking when I take this install down, I'm going to do a real length with flat ironed air instead of wet hair. I didn't think about shrinkage seeing that I'm just barely texlaxed and have a very curly natural texture. Does it make me obsessive that I think it will be longer if I flat iron this time instead of just check wet?

ManiiSweetheart

Imani said:

Alkaline!! I think...

bride91501

Hey ladies! I've been MIA for a little bit...b/w the kids and work and the husband...I've been swamped :(

I missed the end of April length check, but then I thought I'd just do a post for my 2-year nappiversary, which is tomorrow:blush: Now that it's here, I'm feeling real meh about my hair progress. I haven't checked it in a few months (February I think?), but for some reason I feel like it's not growing/I'm not retaining like I was before. Idk....

I'm gonna get my DH to take photos anyway, which I'll try to post tomorrow. Wish me luck :look:

baddison

natural for good
Hey ladies! I've been MIA for a little bit...b/w the kids and work and the husband...I've been swamped :(

I missed the end of April length check, but then I thought I'd just do a post for my 2-year nappiversary, which is tomorrow:blush: Now that it's here, I'm feeling real meh about my hair progress. I haven't checked it in a few months (February I think?), but for some reason I feel like it's not growing/I'm not retaining like I was before. Idk....

I'm gonna get my DH to take photos anyway, which I'll try to post tomorrow. Wish me luck :look:

Congratulations on your 2-year "Nappiversary"....looking forward to your pics!!:yep:

TruMe

How did I miss my 1 year anniversary being natural?!? I mean, it is right there in my siggy. Oh well, it would have been nice to be full BSL by now but I will keep on moving.

CurlsBazillion

I've been wearing wash n gos / twist outs lately and even with daily conditioner/water spritzing my hair has been dried out by the sun daily. I'm not feeling this amount of manipulation so I'm going to M&S and put my hair in twists, leave those in for a week at a time, and at night seal with castor oil and baggy. Going back to what I know best, wigs, I can't have a set back, no ma'am!!