Ceramides: My tesitmony and the evolution of my bun (Pics)

lillylovely

Beautiful hair OP and it just gets better with time:drunk:. I have just started using Hemp Seed Oil thanks to some of your other posts and I love it too. Its that missing ingredient that just makes my hair sing :dance7:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Thank you so so much for the compliments ladies :blush3: I honestly was nervous to post them :rolleyes:

You make me feel so confident about my hemp seed oil purchase!! How do you make your gorgeous buns by the way and which leave in do you use?

I alternate between S-curl and Taliah Waajid Protective mist bodifier. As for the buns, I gather my hair up in a ponytail, then fan it out evenly like in umbrella shape. Then just tuck the ends under going around the ponytail, and secure with another ponytail holder.

Great Review.:up:

Your Hair Looks Absolutely Amazing.:lovedrool:

I am very proud!:congrats:

Awww T thank you! I owe you the credit, I really started ceramides beacause of YOU :runninghug:

Can anyone recommend a good site to buy these oils? Including the Eucalyptus Extract

The best price so far is vitaglo.com for hempseed oil. They have really great prices :yep:

OK OK OK, the pictures sold me. Just bought an 8oz. bottle of hempseed oil. I wonder what it smells like? Does anyone know?

Its a very deep green and it has a light nutty scent kinda like sesame oil.

Wow! What shine! I have been looking all over for rice bran oil. where did you find yours? i currently use the walnut oil with Amla for sealing and overall oiling. I gotta get into your routine a bit more, girl that shine is blinding. :grin::grin:

I buy rice bran oil from the supermarket. I live in the Caribbean, but I'm sure places like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's will have it :yep:

Great progress! (Nice with a lot of shine)
So do you like Hemp seed better then Wheat germ?

Happy Hair Growing!

Hempseed is my ultimate fav :yep: not just for shine, but softness.

Wheat germ, I recently discovered I love it mixed 50:50 with EVOO. I got this from Reecie, check out her Ceramides thread for more reviews on this mix :yep:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
L'oreal has a great moisturizing ceramide shampoo/conditioner set (the ones in the green, flip-top,1 squeeze containers) and they have a minty, fresh scent. I've been using them for 4-5 months, and I didn't realize that they were probably the reason why I have been able to pull my hair neatly back into a bun. I'm a shoulder-length 4a/b natural and have been having a time managing my hair now that it's grown out quite a bit. Thanks so much for posting this. Now I know I have been doing the right thing for my hair. I just rested on the fact that it felt good, my hair was healthier, and it is much more manageable. Sorry I haven't been on for a good bit...a few months, actually...but it's great to see that we are still learning the best practices for healthy ethnic hair growth!! Great thread, OP!

Hey melodies815, you know thanks to you I have to try that L'Oreal line now right? :)

Wow! What shine! I have been looking all over for rice bran oil. where did you find yours? i currently use the walnut oil with Amla for sealing and overall oiling. I gotta get into your routine a bit more, girl that shine is blinding. :grin::grin:

Thank you :grin: I don't live in the US, but places like Whole Foods usually carry oils like those.

this is so exciting! I just recently purchased some hemp seed oil and I've been using it but I'm wondering if i should use more than one ceramide... what do you ladies suggest?

Congrats op.. Your progress is a total inspiration!

I'd say start with one thing at a time and see what works for you :yep: I started with just the leave-ins with ceramides, then added the oils for pre-poos, and then the DC's with ceramide oils.

Thank you so much for this post. I started incorporating WGO the last week of May (after reading TAZ's post about them in the DC's) that I do every other week.

Today I was supposed to do my med. protein but when I looked at my strands they did not feel or look bumpy so I just did a DC with my usual mix of 1T of EVCO/EVOO/WGO. I did not rinse out completly in the front because I wanted to see if it would dry oily, the last time this happened it did not and I wanted to see if it was a fluke. Well it dried nice/smooth and very soft, I was shocked. I was thinking to myself that it was the oils that have my hair looking an feeling better. When I logged on and saw your post I said BINGO it is the oils.

I was just looking at the Talijah Waajid conditioner the other day, now because of you I am going to pick it up tomorrow. I am going to use it the day of washing my hair and maybe in the middle of the week as a moisturizer. I use the protective mist bodifier on my NG and the underprocessed parts of my hair and it is behaving nicely and I am not experiencing the same amount of breakage that I was before.

YAY CERAMIDES!!!!!

Yes! don't you just love those "AHA" moments?! I initally couldn't find ceramide oils in the stores so I was using the Taliah Waajid leave-in. The first two ingredients are wheat germ and hempseed and when I saw how much my hair liked it, I realized I needed some ceramide oils in my routine. I love Taliah Waajid products.

Beautiful hair OP and it just gets better with time:drunk:. I have just started using Hemp Seed Oil thanks to some of your other posts and I love it too. Its that missing ingredient that just makes my hair sing :dance7:

Thank you so much :) I'm glad my incessant raves helped you. That is exactly how I feel, ceramides were the missing link in my reggie :yep:

SelfStyled

Wow at your buns! Amazing- thanks for the reminder about ceramides. This is a nice reminder to use more in my reggie. Keep up the great work- your hair looks gorgeous.

Last edited:

SweetSpirit86

So much shine, and it looks so healthy!! You can definitely see the improvement. Making me want to try using my AO more...

nikki2229

Blinding shine and great progess.
Do you think that this is helping with only the thickness or are you seeing a tremendous increase in your growth retention?

Bnster

Thanks for the tip! Can't wait to try products out with this ingredient in it! This made me think of my recent discovery: Behentrimonium choride. I found that it helps with detangling hair and smoothing the cuticle- my comb slides right through! Here's what I found with doing some research:
Properties: Potent conditioner with antistatic & detangling properties, able to restore & rebuild damaged hair (due to colza oil it does not coat but penetrates & substantiates the hair shaft), softening effect, antimicrobial properties

Candycan, I think you should make a separate thread on this, it will be lost in this thread and it may reach more people. Is this the product itself or products that contain Behentrimonium choride? I am going to research on this.

As for ceramides, I use wheat germ oil but not often cause of the smell. I was using it on freshly washed hair at first as a seal with other oils. My hair looked and felt great but smelled. Then thinking it was great for the hair I put it on day old hair then found it wasn't so great my hair lost its sleekness and was dry. I went back to just using it on freshly washed hair but the smell wasn't great so I wasn't consistent on its applications.

Then reading up more on ceramides on my last wash I put the wheat germ oil in my protein DC, it made my ends smooth however it took a few days for the smell to dissipate. I recently read someone adding essential oils to cut the smell so I will add some EO in my DC tomorrow. I am thinking maybe I should run out and get some hempseed oil, hum.

Can anybody relate to what happen to me using any ceramide oils and specifically the one I am using the wheat germ oil? I see hempseed oil suppose to smell like sesame oil, need to check out how that smells like. Also does the hempseed oil odour lingers how do you find the smell?

OP I love how the ceramide helped you hair! It looks great!

Okay smelled the sesame oil it is okay I guess the hempseed oil would be much better than the wheat germ oil smell. Again does the hempseed oil smell lingers?

Last edited:

Urban

L'oreal has a great moisturizing ceramide shampoo/conditioner set (the ones in the green, flip-top,1 squeeze containers) and they have a minty, fresh scent. I've been using them for 4-5 months, and I didn't realize that they were probably the reason why I have been able to pull my hair neatly back into a bun. I'm a shoulder-length 4a/b natural and have been having a time managing my hair now that it's grown out quite a bit. Thanks so much for posting this. Now I know I have been doing the right thing for my hair. I just rested on the fact that it felt good, my hair was healthier, and it is much more manageable. Sorry I haven't been on for a good bit...a few months, actually...but it's great to see that we are still learning the best practices for healthy ethnic hair growth!! Great thread, OP!

Yes! L'oreal are making some nice ceramide lines now. One of my favourite conditioners at the moment is L'oreal Elvive Anti Breakage Conditioner "with ceramide cement":

Love this stuff!!

bgsix

You have convinced me OP! Great hair.

[QUOTE=melodies815;11665172]L'oreal has a great moisturizing ceramide shampoo/conditioner set (the ones in the green, flip-top,1 squeeze containers) and they have a minty, fresh scent.

Is this the product called L'oreal Everstrong?

Yes! L'oreal are making some nice ceramide lines now. One of my favourite conditioners at the moment is L'oreal Elvive Anti Breakage Conditioner "with ceramide cement":

Dang! I don't think they sell this product in the U.S.

tenderheaded

Great progress:yep: Nothing says success like pics! I've been using Skala C3 leave-in for 3 months, and the diffference is very noticible!!!

ryanshope

Your hair looks lovely. Thank you for taking the time to chronicle your experience with pics---a pic is definitely worth a thousand words! Your hair has done a total 180 turn around :)

I used wheatgerm mixed with coconut oil or straight post deep conditioning---works great as a sealant for my natural hair.

morehairplease

Great thread OP/ladies! OP your hair looks wonderful! Recently, I have fallen in love with wheat germ oil and must say that I can defiantly see a noticeable difference in my strands since using it.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
As for ceramides, I use wheat germ oil but not often cause of the smell. I was using it on freshly washed hair at first as a seal with other oils.

My hair looked and felt great but smelled. Then thinking it was great for the hair I put it on day old hair then found it wasn't so great my hair lost its sleekness and was dry. I went back to just using it on freshly washed hair but the smell wasn't great so I wasn't consistent on its applications.

Okay smelled the sesame oil it is okay I guess the hempseed oil would be much better than the wheat germ oil smell. Again does the hempseed oil smell lingers?[/FONT][/COLOR]

Yeah wheatgerm oil really lingers. Reecie recommends mixing it with EVOO as a pre-poo. It works well. The smell is alot more bearable, and when you wash it out, no smell whatsoever check out her ceramide challenge thread.

Hempseed oil scent is light and does not linger to me.

Blinding shine and great progess.
Do you think that this is helping with only the thickness or are you seeing a tremendous increase in your growth retention?

I think the overall condition of my hair has improved. I don't think my hair has gotten thicker. My buns got bigger as I was able to reduce my NG shrinkage and have more length in a ponytail to make a bun.

I think this is definitely helping with my retention. Just before I started ceramides, I was experiencing dryness a little breakage, even with 2x a week DCs and regular protein. I have zero breakage now and my moisture retention has significantly improved.

What clear rinse do you use?

I use Elasta QP clear or Adore clear.

Morenita

Ok, you have me 110% convinced. Amazing results!! :clapping: I was interested in trying the ceramide challenge before but now I'm making a personal commitment. Off to make some online purchases... :shopping:

Thanks so much for sharing!

brucebettye

Thanks for the info and your hair looks beautiful. I am going to try this out so maybe this can help with my buns since I have not texlaxed my hair since last year and my shrinkage is getting on my nerves.

Last edited:

VirtuousBeauty

I bought Wheat Germ Oil and Hempseed oil Yesterday. I plan on using them as a sealant with EVOO. Based on the posts I may put an EO in it if I don't like the smell. Imma need to get up on these oil prepoos you guys do. I'll use the same mixture I seal with and see what happens.

hair7

THis may be a crazy question but is "hemp oil" and "hempseed oil" the same? I went to Whole Foods to get hempseed oil and all they had was "hemp oil". I want to make sure I have the correct product. Also, the hemp oil is supposed to remain in the refrigerator after opening...does anyone do this? TIA

tdwillis

^^^ I just bought the same thing today. However, when I looked at the ingredients it said: Pure, unrefined, coldpressed hempseed oil. So I assume it is the same thing. I just used it on my hair with Skala C3 conditioner as a cowash and my hair is airdrying very soft (which is a miracle for me).

hair7

thanks! I feel much better now...was getting nervous :spinning:. Are you refrigerating yours? Where did you find your Skala cond?

^^^ I just bought the same thing today. However, when I looked at the ingredients it said: Pure, unrefined, coldpressed hempseed oil. So I assume it is the same thing. I just used it on my hair with Skala C3 conditioner as a cowash and my hair is airdrying very soft (which is a miracle for me).

newgrowth15

Thanks for sharing your testimony with us Halee J. I will definitely incorporate ceramides into my reggie on a regular basis and watch what happens.