Ceramides: My tesitmony and the evolution of my bun (Pics)

BostonMaria

I have no idea what "ceramides" is so I'm off to read!

I have 16 oz of hhemp seed oil that I only used once. I haven't touched it cuz the smell made me gag. I guess I'll have to gag! Your hair looks absolutely amazing!!

Yoshi3329

Ceramides is really helping me as well when it comes to transitioning. My relaxed ends feel moisturize (finally), and my natural hair feels like satin.

No joke.

Naturel

Product junkie here:hiya: I got WGO and hemp seed oil. I use WGO as a pre-wash and hemp seed to seal. My hair is still wet, I'll see how it feels when dry.

Naturel

Halee, is your hemp seed oil the one you have to keep in refrigerator? The one I got is a supplement one and it must be kept in frigde. I couldn't find one in cosmetic section.

MissRissa

i must like stinky stuff because neither hempseed oil or wheat germ smell bad to me.

i used wgo (and avocado oil) in my kimmay leave in conditioner concoction and my hair is kinda greasy looking but goodness it is soft.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Halee, is your hemp seed oil the one you have to keep in refrigerator? The one I got is a supplement one and it must be kept in frigde. I couldn't find one in cosmetic section.

I am not Halee, but I think I can answer your question for you.

Most stores will not have the Hemp seed oil in the cosmetic section, because I think they want to ensure that you will put it in the fridge once it is opened. It is an oil that goes rancid wthin 6 months (left out of the fridge).

The same goes for WGO. I purchased the large one a couple of years back and did not know that I was supposed to refridgerte it. I wound up having to chuck it, I was not happy:sad:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
i must like stinky stuff because neither hempseed oil or wheat germ smell bad to me.

i used wgo (and avocado oil) in my kimmay leave in conditioner concoction and my hair is kinda greasy looking but goodness it is soft.

Does your hair feel greasy?

You should not need both oils. Avocado oil alone is a great smoothing oil, however use too much and you will have the same outcome you had. I love this oil especially used after 8 weeks post.

MissRissa

Does your hair feel greasy?

You should not need both oils. Avocado oil alone is a great smoothing oil, however use too much and you will have the same outcome you had. I love this oil especially used after 8 weeks post.

yeah i figured. the recipe called for 2 oils, so i figured i'd use the wgo for the ceremides and the avocado for protein and fatty acids. next time i'll go halfsies on the avocado oil .

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL

I feel the same way, they both are kind of waxy smelling. The hempseed is a bit stronger but nothing I cant handle.

These to me smell better than when I first smelled EVCO oil. That one made me want to scream everytime I used in the beginning, now I love the smell. I am not saying I love the smell of WGO but it is okay to me.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
yeah i figured. the recipe called for 2 oils, so i figured i'd use the wgo for the ceremides and the avocado for protein and fatty acids. next time i'll go halfsies on the avocado oil .

That sounds like a plan, I think the 2 oils should be dependent on how well your hair handles certain types of oil. If you must use two, try a lighter oil as the 2nd. Try maybe grapeseed (this to me is the lighest oil I have found) or EVCO or Sweet almond or even olive oil that is not the first press. Usually the olive oil that is very light in color are not first press, this olive oil is usually used on salads and such because it is so light and will not over power the food.

My DD is natural and I make a leave in for her braids and I only use 1 T WGO for a 20 oz batch, even that is pushing it.

One last thing, avocado oil does not have protein, it helps with protein retention on the strand.

Naturel

I am not Halee, but I think I can answer your question for you.

Most stores will not have the Hemp seed oil in the cosmetic section, because I think they want to ensure that you will put it in the fridge once it is opened. It is an oil that goes rancid wthin 6 months (left out of the fridge).

The same goes for WGO. I purchased the large one a couple of years back and did not know that I was supposed to refridgerte it. I wound up having to chuck it, I was not happy:sad:
]

Thanks

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Your hair is just freaking awesome! I love the buns! Just wow!

Taz, that compliment coming from you is huge, your hair is just :drool: I absolutely love your hair! :yep:

Ceremides have helped my hair, too. I am really please on how my hair is responding to it.

Yes girl stay on the ceramides, especially if you plan to be on a long stretch. Works wonders! :yep:

Hiya! another PJ in da house! :pulpdance: Yeppers, the one you keep in the fridge. In fact, I keep all my ceramide oils in my fridge :yep:

Yes! softness and shine city. My hair is like bling bling now LOL.

Last edited:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I just wanted to add something. Don't sleep on RICE BRAN OIL. Nymphe turned me on to this stuff (thanks girl! :)). It makes the hair soft, not as soft as hempseed but its up there. Also this stuff detangles like a beast. Best detangling of the ceramide oils I've tried. I used it alone as a pre-poo yesterday and fell in love all over again. Many Japanese hair and skincare products contain rice bran ceramides :yep:.

Evo-ny

Girl, you have me tripping all over myself to get to that damn health food store for them oils!! :lachen:

My buns look exactly like your first pic there. I'd been casually thinking about getting into the ceramide game (didn't want to PJ or bandwagon), but you have got me SOLD!!!

yodie

halee_J,

Your bun made me step up my ceramide game today. I've been comparing oil prices/types. Think I'm going to settle on hempseed or hempseed and sunflower. Is hempseed a heavy oil? Anyone prepoo with it or is wgo the best for prepoo?

Thanks.

Globeleza

I just wanted to add something. Don't sleep on RICE BRAN OIL. Nymphe turned me on to this stuff (thanks girl! :)). It makes the hair soft, not as soft as hempseed but its up there. Also this stuff detangles like a beast. Best detangling of the ceramide oils I've tried. I used it alone as a pre-poo yesterday and fell in love all over again. Many Japanese hair and skincare products contain rice bran ceramides :yep:.

Because of you and your gorgeous bun, I went out yesterday and bought a bottle of rice bran oil, hemp seed oil and WGO. I tried both the hemp seed and the WGO and LOVED them on dry hair. They worked well on my daughter's natural 3C as well. Can't wait to see the effects over time. BTW I remember that Aveda Brilliant Serum used to contain rice bran oil and was a great detangling serum.

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
halee_J,

Your bun made me step up my ceramide game today. I've been comparing oil prices/types. Think I'm going to settle on hempseed or hempseed and sunflower. Is hempseed a heavy oil? Anyone prepoo with it or is wgo the best for prepoo?

Thanks.

I found this website for doing a Hot oil treatment with Hempseed oil. I am going to try it this weekend, I will also leave it on longer than suggested. Most of these suggestions are meant for straight hair. I am probably not going to purchase the Hempseed shampoo because I have noticed that most moisturizing shampoos leave a film on my hair. I like for my hair to have a clean slate before conditioning.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5760915_apply-hemp-seed-oil-hair.html

8HoursFromHome

Just got my hempseed oil today. I bought an 8 oz. bottle off of eBay for $11 which includes shipping. I did a BKT then slathered the oil on and wrapped my hair. I'll rinse it out in the morning. The oil is dark green with a light scent. It's not overly oily (I love that) so I'll use it in my daily routine. I've got some coconut oil on the way. I'll probably mix the 2 and use them both daily.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
@ yodie

I like both hempseed and wheatgrem oil for pre-poos. Hempseed gives lots of softness and wheatgrem oil gives softness and a little strength, at least on my hair. I don't use heat with these oils espeically hempseed oil which degrades with heat.

I really like Nutiva brand hempseed oil it looks like this:

I like that it comes in a dark, airtight bottle because hemp oil degrades quickly when exposed to heat/light/air. Keep it in the fridge. I buy it on Vitaglo.com they have really good prices.

BeautifulRoots

AMAZING progress! Thanks for sharing...hmmmmmmm all the ceramides postings just about have me sold...need to do a little more research though. :user:

tdwillis

@ yodie

I like both hempseed and wheatgrem oil for pre-poos. Hempseed gives lots of softness and wheatgrem oil gives softness and a little strength, at least on my hair. I don't use heat with these oils espeically hempseed oil which degrades with heat.

I really like Nutiva brand hempseed oil it looks like this:

I like that it comes in a dark, airtight bottle because hemp oil degrades quickly when exposed to heat/light/air. Keep it in the fridge. I buy it on Vitaglo.com they have really good prices.

Oh no! As I was reading this, I had just mixed some hempseed oil into my conditioner and was under my hair dryer. Is there a different way to mix this and use it as a deep conditioner?

sithembile

Does anyone know how you can tellif hempseed oil is rancid? I got some 2 months ago and I've kept it in the fridge but I hear it has a short shelf life.

yodie

@ Halee,
Thanks for that site. They do have good prices.
My hair is very shiny and soft with hempseed. Now if I can only find a style to wear my hair, I'll be in good shape.