Ceramides: My tesitmony and the evolution of my bun (Pics)

Angelicus

I am up in here salivating over your buns. I have noticed a tremendous difference in my hair after using Aubrey Organics conditioners. I guess the Ceramides have something to do with it.

Missi

I just used Wheat Germ Oil for the first time last for night for my pre-poo and my hair felt so moisturized and soft and amazing....I hope this feeling it gives my hair never changes....Glad I saw this thread....

ETA: i just took down my air-dry (pigtail rollerset) and my hair is soft, SHINEY, SHINEY, bouncy, and dark. I didn't need to straighten out my ponytail where the scrunci was out....it just smoothed out..... OH WOW... bostonmaria...I need some of that conditioner...

I hope I don't use to much throughout the week and jack up my hair...

Last edited:

BostonMaria

I made 16 oz of conditioner and added hempseed oil to it. The condition came out a pretty light green color. I left it on for an hour, rollerset and dried under my Pibbs. My hair came out nice. I will continue using this and hope to see a difference in my dry hair.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Halee,

How and when did you use your oils?

I use a ceramide oil as a pre-poo every wash. Sometimes, I add them to my DC. I use hempseed oil to seal.

Oh no! As I was reading this, I had just mixed some hempseed oil into my conditioner and was under my hair dryer. Is there a different way to mix this and use it as a deep conditioner?

If I use hempseed oil in a DC, I just do a longer/overnight DC without heat.

Does anyone know how you can tellif hempseed oil is rancid? I got some 2 months ago and I've kept it in the fridge but I hear it has a short shelf life.

On the Nutiva brand bottle it says it lasts up to 12 weeks in the fridge, longer in the freezer.

VirtuousBeauty

I use a cheap BSS conditioning cap when I DC. Will it be bad to use it then if I prepoo with hempseed as one of my oils? Nowhere near as hot as a dryer of course, but from what I'm understanding you can't use any form of heat with hempseed at all?

yodie

I hate that the oil has such a short shelf life. I have a big ole bottle. I wonder if hempseed is good for the skin. From now on I'll buy a small bottle if the shelf life is only 12 weeks.

Halee, how long before you started seeing results? I'm hoping this will help my ends.

newbeginnings2010

I hate that the oil has such a short shelf life. I have a big ole bottle. I wonder if hempseed is good for the skin. From now on I'll buy a small bottle if the shelf life is only 12 weeks.

Halee, how long before you started seeing results? I'm hoping this will help my ends.

Wheat germ oil is supposed to be good for the skin. That may be true for hempseed as well. I bought a small bottle of wheat germ oil, and I'll be mixing it to my conditioners in a small jar. I don't want to add it to the whole bottle because I don't want my conditioner to go bad with the oil. I'm also going to mix it into my shea butter and use that as a lotion.

sithembile

I think wheatgerm oil has a longer shelf life as my bottle (cold pressed) says that it can be added to other massage oils to extend their shelf life. And yes, its great for the skin due to a high vitamin e content.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I use a cheap BSS conditioning cap when I DC. Will it be bad to use it then if I prepoo with hempseed as one of my oils? Nowhere near as hot as a dryer of course, but from what I'm understanding you can't use any form of heat with hempseed at all?

That what I do :yep:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy

After two weeks of consistent use :yep: check out the pics in the OP.

luvmesumhair

Halee you said in another thread that you will be pre-pooing with Hempseed oil, chelating with ORS and so-forth. Don't you think that the ORS will strip your hair of the Hempseed oil?

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Halee you said in another thread that you will be pre-pooing with Hempseed oil, chelating with ORS and so-forth. Don't you think that the ORS will strip your hair of the Hempseed oil?

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think so. After about a year of use, I actually don't find it stripping, on my hair at least.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Does anyone here knows of a good Hempseed oil poo???

I don't know how good it is, but Natures Gate has a hempseed shampoo and conditioner.

I purchased the conditioner today. I chose not to get the shampoo because I dont like moisturizing shampoos.

Last edited:

Evo-ny

Couldn't find any wheat germ oil in non-capsule form, so I picked up a nice sized bottle of hemp seed oil. I was afraid it was going to be too smelly for sealing, but it's got a great natural scent to it.

I want to mix it with my coconut oil and use the two to seal, but I don't know how the two would do together with one having to stay at room temperature and the other in the fridge. :perplexed

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

great info sis! i'm a ceramide/pH balancing fool!! all the way to waistlength....
particularly because i am craving hair color!!!
i have a few ideas on protecting my hair from the color tragedies

beautiful buns!!! thanks for the post

god Bless

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Couldn't find any wheat germ oil in non-capsule form, so I picked up a nice sized bottle of hemp seed oil. I was afraid it was going to be too smelly for sealing, but it's got a great natural scent to it.

I want to mix it with my coconut oil and use the two to seal, but I don't know how the two would do together with one having to stay at room temperature and the other in the fridge. :perplexed

Try it, it should be fine once you mix them between your hands.

VirtuousBeauty

Adding an essential oil for fragrance won't negatively affect the Ceramides right? I plan on adding these to my EVOO to seal, but I don't think I want my hair smelling like that

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
OMG, that last bun is DIVINE!! :love:

*making shopping list w/ ceramide-rich products ASAP*

I want to share my experience over the last 3-4 months, since incorporating ceramides into my reggie.

As someone with coarse hair, relaxed and in the sun and salt water ALOT ceramides have helped me immensely. I used to have trouble maintaining the protein moisture balance, not anymore. My hair responds to protein so much better now, and the moisture retention has definitely improved.

So here's what I've been doing:

I have basically had the same reggie for the last 10 months:

2x a week: Oil (EVOO + castor oil) pre-poo, shampoo, light/medium protein/Moisture DC, water based leave-in, seal with EQP butter and oil (EVOO+castor oil) Aphogee 2 step every 6 weeks, clear rinse every 8 weeks.

Within the last 3 months, I have replaced EVOO and CO with ceramide oils: Rice bran and hempseed oil for pre poo's and sealing, and using a leave-in that contains hemp and wheat germ oil. Also have incorporated condishes with ceramide oils into the rotation( Aubrey Organics and Taliah Waajid Herbal Enhancing Conditioners)

Right the pics: all of these are on airdried hair with EQP mango butter and oil. Combed with a wide toothed comb. I don't brush the length of my hair, and I don't stuff my buns.

Before:

This is what my hair used look like when I tried to coax it into a bun. My hair wasn’t looking awful per se, but it just would not lay down right go into “one”. My NG would shrink up and just not co-operate.

My hair last week ( about 15 weeks)

Over time, my hair has become so much smoother and shinier. My NG can stretch so much easier and it just lays down and smooths out, so my buns look fuller and my relaxed hair airdries frizz-free. Getting my hair in one is no longer a task. I hardly get tangles. Also, I have been using less and less product in my hair as time goes on. I still moisturize daily, but I don’t have to.

song_of_serenity

I don't see why not either :)
I ended up doing it and it came out AMAZING (hemp seed oil plus shea plus a few drips of silk amino acids) I made my first bun tonight. Thanks for the pictures, they really pushed me to get the oils and they are the TRUTH! If it works so well day ONE for me, I can only imagine it will get better!

Janet'

Hmmm...Very interesting, OP! Your buns look really good...lemme go look at some hemp seed oil...

lijm83

In my first two months of being natural I used ceramides, but I completely forgot about them. Thank you for reminding me. I've incorporated them back in to my regimen and I'm seeing improvement in the manageability already.