Challenge anyone? Longer hair and Healthier Body 07' Challenge

SleekandBouncy

ETA: CHECK HERE FOR UPDATES. THE DETAILS OF HOW THE CHALLENGE STARTED HAVE BEEN MOVED TO THE 2ND POST.

UPDATE 07/05/07: Since protein including fish is part of this challenge it's important to take into consideration the issue with some fish have high levels of mercury. I've learned that cilantro my aid in the removal of mercury from the body and brain. Fresh (not the dried herb) is pretty cheap, maybe $2, so ladies sprinkle it on your rice, add it to your salads, sprinkle fresh over your fish and try it with beans. Cilantro tastes amazing over black beans.
Here's additional info re mercury and cilantro: Cilantro to aid in mercury removal

Update: Everyone participating please post your current diet/regimen and your new goal regimen including your current and goal hair length. Also include what areas you need to work on, whether it's getting enough sleep or flattening the tummy.

Update 07/04/07: The liver is like the pit stop for everything that enters your body. Some of you may want do a liver flush for a few days (optional). Liver congestion is caused by toxic overload, it is unable to detoxify the bloodstream effectively. When the liver is congested, the toxins circulate in the bloodstream and can enter into the brain, nervous system or other organs. The liver can also become congested by an excess of fat, sugar, alcohol, white flour products, and chemicals found in the water, food, and air. My mom did it and I noticed the benefits so I'm going to force myself to do it for 4 days. There are other versions as well if you do a web search. Here's a link to one: Lemon Liver Flush

REMINDER TO POST YOUR BEFORE REGIMEN/DIET AND YOUR NEW ONE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your hair grows from your body, healthy and strong bodies produce long, strong hair. This challenge is about balance, it's not just about eating raw broccoli all day :) If you take a moment each day all of the rules can easily be incorporated into your daily and please take a moment to read ingredients.
As we go along please share tips, recipes and suggestions. Ladies, remember to post your regimens and progress including what changes you'll be making so we know what to hold you to :yep:

Incorporate these rules into your diet.

Good Food List! - Your daily diet *must* include portions of the following and please remember that a balance of protein, complex carbs, vitamins and minerals are need so don't focus on one thing.
  • Include Protein your daily meal -
    Hair is 80-90% protein. I got 1" of unexpected growth just by adding some random protein rich foods. Protein sources include, beans (a can of refried beans and yellow rice is cheap and tasty), chicken, rice, fish (why not make a snack from tuna or kippered herring), cheese, eggs, nuts, tofu and milk. Try to combine proteins to form a complete amino acids like rice & beans.
    Further info: MORE DETAILS
  • Include natural oils in daily diet - It can be as simple as pouring some seasoned olive oil over your veggies or a tablespoon of flax seed oil in the morning.
    Naturally moisturized and softer hair = less breakage, more length retained plus it's good for your skin and the rest of your body. Sources include, nuts, avocados (the small Mexican avocados have more oil, but more fat, the large smooth avocados are less fatty and contain slightly less oil), nuts, flax seed oil, olive oil, fish oil.
  • 8 Glasses of water per day - Water makes up a large percentage of your hair strands. Clean body = better absorbed nutrients. If necessary buy a refillable water bottle and refill every morning or add lemon/lime juice.
  • EAT THOSE UNIONS! - What does MSM, MTG and boundless tresses have in commmon besides being the cause of rapid hair growht for many members? SULFUR! Besides protein sulfur is one of the best things you can do for more growth. Red unions are sweet, so slice thin and throw them in a salad, throw in your rice pot, sprinkle in your potato salad. Don't forget other extras like fresh garlic and tomato are very good for your body.
  • Embrace your exotic cook - Herbs have many beneficial qualities for your body and hair! Ginger for example aids in digestion, sautee your chicken in a sauce of honey and ginger. Break out those long forgotten herbs or discover new ones; paprika, cumin, tarragon, cayenne, cilantro are just a few. Plus they are cheap.
  • Brown rice - White rice is a no-go for this challenge.
  • 2-3 servings of fruits every day - There's a fruit for everyone. Take some to work or school, try strawberries, grapes, watermelon, berries or oranges.
  • Minerals - Mineral deficiency has been linked to everything from fatigue, improper brain functions and even mood swings. Sources of iron include molasses, red meat and dark green vegetables and sulfur is found in unions. There are also multi vitamins that combine multi & mineral into one pill.
  • Take your multi vitamin - Theres a multi vitamin for every price range. Head to your Walmart, Whole Foods, Vitamin Shoppe or GNC and pick up a multi vitamin.
  • Bonus vitamins: B-5, Biotin, MSM, flax seed oil, castor oil. I choose biotin and flax seed oil because they've always made my skin and hair nicer. Tip: Serve out a weeks worth of vitamins in advance and store them in your purse.
  • Daily meal must include a vegetable - Try broccoli covered in olive oil and minced garlic or salad. Buy a pre-cut salad mix, add some sliced red unions, croutons and minced olives and your favorite salad dressing or steam greens in chicken broth and have with dinner.
The NO food list:
  • Junk food - It doesn't mean you can't have mac & cheese, but cut out the big mac, fries, cheese doodles and sugar glazed donuts! There are healthier alternatives. Seek and ye shall find. Do you like M&Ms? Next time grab some carob coated raisins or chocolate covered almonds with the healthiest ingredients list. READ THE INGREDIENTS OF WHAT YOU BUY!
  • White rice - Replace with brown rice, brown basmati or jasmine rice. White rice has the nutrient rich outer layer removed and is filled with carbs. Carbs are broken down into SUGAR and excess sugar leads to adult onset diabetes, weight gain and lacks nutrients that are beneficial to your hair and body.
  • Limit artificial sugars - Not only did my hair grow slower when I had a high sugar diet but my skin wasn't as youthful looking. Remember excessive sugar binds itself to collagen with causes drooping and sagging skin and can stunt the immune system. Check your fruit drink to see if it says "5% Real Juice" or "100%" and avoid high fructose drinks.
  • Deep fried foods. - Try braised, roasted or stir fried.
  • Avoid excessively salty food - Next time you reach for that salt shaker drop it!!
  • Caffeinated and carbonated drinks
  • Limit your stress - It is a fact that stress retards hair growth. Remember worrying never changed anything. Prey, meditate or work on it and then leave it alone.
EXTRAS: ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST CHOOSE AT LEAST 2X OF THE FOLLOWING
  • Physical activity 3x a week - Improved blood flow carries nutrients to your hair follicles. Besides a stronger heart, trim body and youthful glow, exercise makes you sweat which in my experience makes my hair grow. I know it sounds weird but my hair grows faster when it's hot or I'm sweating. Try running, taking your dog for a walk, or hit the gym. If cost is an issue most cities have YMCA that offer discounted access to gym facilities. Locate one near you: http://www.ymca.net/find_your_ymca/
  • 7 to 8 hrs of sleep per night - Your body grows and recuperates while you're asleep. If you're up all night then your body can't rebuild, restore and refresh.
  • No direct heat more than 2x a month - This is an automatic requirement only because growth that's gained during this challenge can easily be lost to breakage. So no flat irons (except new growth), curling irons or hot combs except 2x a month.
  • Drop that cigarette!
Here's an example of a dinner that includes THE RULES:
Stewed/roasted chicken (protein), make it teriyaki or brown stew it in your favorite herbs with minced tomatoes, unions, rice and a side of beans (google some recipies or boil some split pies in a little water, add a little curry, cilantro, salt, paprika and cumin and let it cook down). Beans with rice form a complete protein. Add a salad or some stir fried broccoli and mushrooms and you've got your daily veggies.

Here are some links to articles that discuss the link between hair and diet:

- 6 Superfoods for Healthy Hair
- Hair Health Diet

Last edited:

SleekandBouncy

During my last touchup both myself and my stylist were amazed at my new growth, it was shinier, longer and thicker than ever before. The *****' actually ripped through my new growth like she was mad, but that's another story.....
Anyway, I was thinking it would be cool to have a long hair and healthy body challenge. I only changed a few things about my diet and it's the only change I've made since getting the 1" of new growth (took about 7 weeks) and my hair is shinier. It's amazing what adding a few things to my diet has done for my hair so the main goal is longer, thicker hair, but I also think as blk/minority ppl (women) our health could use some attention. The statistics for certain illnesses are shockingly high for black women.

I just wanted to share my personal experience: I'm recovering from blond highlighted hair (finally grown out), heat damage and dryness. 2 months ago a new Chinese-Mexican restaurant opened next to my job, because the food was yummy and cheap I started ordering the chicken combo which consisted of roasted chicken, rice, beans and salad and I would buy a huge bottle of vanilla chai soy protein drink or berry mix juice by Bolthouse to last the week. They make fresh and natural drinks and shakes. It's the only thing I've changed about my hair regimen or diet and in the last 7 weeks I got 1" of new growth. I was really amazed because I NEVER get that. My roots were thicker even after the relaxer. I did some research and discovered that rice & beans make a complete protein (combine your proteins ladies), the chicken provides even more protein and the natural juice drinks were doing wonders for my skin. Protein is the building block of hair and nails so it makes sense. I have started adding avocado to my lunch. I buy an avocado for $0.99 and it lasts 3 days. I bring it with me and then just include it with my lunch, as a result my hair is shinier and my skin softer. For the purpose of sulfur I've also been adding sliced red unions to my chicken salad. I've seen the amazing results other LHCFers have gotten from MSM, MTG and Boundless tresses which all contain sulfur.

Last edited:

Healthb4Length

SleekandBouncy said:
During my last touchup both myself and my stylist were amazed at my new growth, it was shinier, longer and thicker than ever before. The *****' actually ripped through my new growth like she was mad, but that's another story.....
Anyway, I was thinking it would be cool to have a long hair and healthy body challenge. I only changed a few things about my diet and it's the only change I've made since getting the 1" of new growth (took about 7 weeks) and my hair is shinier. I'd love to motivate myself to add a little physical acitivity which seems to be my mother's secret to long hair. I figured this is something everyone could get involved in partly because it involves mostly every day items, it's easy and fast, plus we could share suggestions and even cultural recipies, like my grandmother's castor oil and cayenne pepper paste for thin edges.

It's amazing what adding a few things to my diet has done for my hair so the main goal is longer, thicker hair, but I also think as blk/minority ppl (women) our health could use some attention. The statistics for certain illnesses are shockingly high for black women. Anyway back to hair....by entering the challenge you agree to stick to the guidelines for a year or :spank: It also includes staying away from certain foods!
All the participants would be recommended to keep a journal whether by posting in the thread or by just buying a regular ol' notebook and taking notes. It only takes a few minutes each day!
The goal is that by this time next year we have a crazy amount of length and thickness! So, anyone wanna join?

I'm co-signing with you on the bolded part. I'm really sad and tired of hearing how Blk Woman are at high risk for practically every known disease!! It's disheartening to say the least. I had to do a serious self check and realize that I was one the WRONG path...I got scurred too cause I was showing some of the signs and symptoms of Diabetes:eek:. I've been eating right (haven't got the exercise part down) and I no longer exibit these symptoms...needless to say I've been motivated to get thinner and healther for the right reason.

Sign me up! But what are the rules to this challenge?

MsAngie

:clap: This challenge is right on time! You can add me to the list too. I need to get serious about exercising and taking better care of myself. Thanks for the invite!

Diya

Sure, I'd love to join. Count me in! This will be a great way to mark my progress approx. 1 yr after joining the forum. Longer hair AND a healthier body...sounds like a win-win to me :)

SleekandBouncy

Alli77 said:
I'm co-signing with you on the bolded part. I'm really sad and tired of hearing how Blk Woman are at high risk for practically every known disease!! It's disheartening to say the least. I had to do a serious self check and realize that I was one the WRONG path...I got scurred too cause I was showing some of the signs and symptoms of Diabetes:eek:. I've been eating right (haven't got the exercise part down) and I no longer exibit these symptoms...needless to say I've been motivated to get thinner and healther for the right reason.

Sign me up! But what are the rules to this challenge?

I'm typing it up right now. I did a double post directly under my main post so I'll be able to edit it and add the rules to that post. It should be up in about 30 minutes, I just wanted to make sure you guys thought it would be a good idea :)

PinkSkates

That is my motto! Healthy Body=Healthy Hair. I already do my health thing;so I won't be in the challenge; but I will be on the sideline cheerleading you ladies.:yay: And I want to applaud all of you for taking on the challange. Good luck, and don't forget,water, water, water...

ravenmerlita

I want to join. I started eating healthier last year, eating more fish, drinking more water and eating less sugar. Then I slacked off this year. But even for the short time that I did change my diet and habits, I saw a difference in my hair and in my stamina. This challenge will be just what I need to get started again.

youwillrise

oh i'm definitely in.
i've been promising myself that i'm going to live a healthier life

cant wait to see guidelines

Brownsis

I'm in

this challenge is for me, I really really need to get motivated and eat better, I need to lose some weight and it will be benefic for my hair.

by the way SleekandBouncy, your hair is soooo beautiful in your siggy

SleekandBouncy

seraphinelle said:
Sleekandbouncy,

How do you get your hair so shiny!!

Beautiful hair!

Thank you Seraphinelle! :)
My hair is naturally really dry and course. I attribute the shine to increasing the healthy/natural oils in my diet. Every day I try incorporate some kind of oil whether it's pouring olive oil on my salad or having sardines/kippered herring (they have alot of oil). I also eat a lot of avocados and they have a high oil content and I pop a fish oil tablet in the morning. The 2nd and 3rd photo in my signature are me without any shine serum, but when I do want extra shine I use Elucence shine spray or Aveda's brilliance.

senimoni said:
What are the changes that you made?
I posted my personal experience in the second post. My old regimen consisted of the usual wash n' set, blow dry roots only, moisturize every 2 days. I didn't eat as bad as some of my friends but it wasn't good. I'd skip breakfast (I hate breakfast), sometimes I'd have a healthy lunch/dinner other times it would be KFC. My current regimen is:

Breakfast - This kills me! I bought the health store knockoff of corn pops, they taste really good and the fiber content is high, no fructose and no "red dye #560980". Other times I'll have 2 whole wheat bagel with blueberry jam, glass of carrot juice by Bolthouse or their Vanilla chai protein shake. Other times I'll make cornmeal porridge, which I love.

Lunch: It varies but I'm trying to be more concious and delibrate with my choices. I never looked before, but I'm realizing I have a lot of options for healthy alternatives. I sometimes order roasted chicken from the Columbian restuarant near my job other times I just bring lunch, I'll cook anything from spaghetti & chicken strips (I have a recipe for Puertorican peppered chicken w/ unions). I bring an avocado half, maybe a mixed salad to work, other times I'll bring calaloo and saltfish with red peppers and boiled green bananas. Sometimes I have to fight off my coworkers from "sampling" my food, but otherwise it's all good. You just have to get creative :) The main issue has been keeping myself away from my usual junk food, but thankfully the supermarket near me has a health section with knockoffs to everything from cheese doodles to organic ketchup by the same company that makes the regular kind but w/o the artifical stuff.

Dinner: I'm sticking to the rules, but it's been hard letting go of white rice. I've learned how to make stir fry brown rice and I'll have it with stir fried chicken, baked salmon with lemon & ginger or sometimes I make spaghetti and meat balls, but I use chicken meat balls. Old bay seasoning is a god send for seasoning chicken.

I'm trying to incorporate as many vegetables and fruits into my daily diet so even if I'm cooking chicken I'll throw in baby carrots, broccoli or a bunch of unions. For all intense purposes most people when they taste my food can't tell it's "healthy".

For the challenge I've also committed myself to taking vitamins daily *sigh* I take fish oil, a multi vitamin and biotin. I hate water, but I'm forcing myself to drink 8+ glasses a day. I buy the tall Poland Spring bottle and I just refill. Sometimes I add lemon which I find seems to have a good affect on my skin. I've started watching the gym channel and I'll do a half hour of cardi every other day, but the best part has been the lunges and squats, my booty is getting even rounder, but also perky. I was worried that exercise would kill my butt and make it flat. I'll be joining the gym near my so I can go on my lunch break. If I had to detail the results I've noticed so far I'd say my concentration is better, my hair seems softer and definitely grows faster, my skin is tighter than before and I'm in a better mood. I'll be posting updates and stuff that I come across and it would be great if you guys do the same :D

Last edited:

Ayeshia

I want to join...my overall diet is great. I no longer dirnk fruit jucie, and I stopped drinking soda 3 years ago. My only problem I think is sugar content. No I dont eat mounds of candy, but I seriously OD on natural fruits. Just last week I ate a whopping total of 12lbs of black bing cherries :ohwell: Im addicted to those and grapes. I dunno if that is good for you or not. But I know it's a lot of sugar.