Challenge anyone? Longer hair and Healthier Body 07' Challenge

SleekandBouncy

trimbride said:
Continue:
  • Healthy Eating: Focus on Veggies, Protein, Healthy Fats, & fiber
  • Oil Pulling
  • Scalp Massages
  • Drinking Water
  • Vitamins, Minerals, & Supplements (Brewer's Yeast, Chlorophyll, Spirulina, Flax Seed Oil, Iron, MSM, Pantothenic Acid, Hair Skin & Nail Vitamin) These will be my staples, but I need to use all of the vitamins I currently own :yep:
Increase:
  • LOA, Daily Affirmations, Positive Attitude.
  • Epsom Salt Detox Baths
  • Steam Session twice per week
  • Exercise at least 6 times per week
  • Consumption of at least 2 servings of raw vegetables or fruit. Goal=three :)
  • Getting a good night's rest
Decrease:
  • Time spent online
  • Artificial sweeteners
  • skipping meals
Some of this is not related to hair, but it is related to overall health so I included it in my list. I checked out the 6 superfoods for hair and most of them I don't like :(

I hate cooking beef, rice is cool but not my favorite, I avoid cottage cheese because I am lactose intolerant, I am not crazy about eggs either, & BACON...who wrote this list :confused:. I guess I will stick with Salmon:look:

Most of the foods on the list are things I try to avoid but at least when I have them I can say..."this is healthy for my hair" :)

That's why this is so good, we can make recommendations to each other and come up with creative alternatives.
Here are alternatives for the 6 superfoods listed in that article:

Instead of beef --> Fish, esp. salmon. Beans (lentil, split peas, red peas, black beans, etc.), chicken.

Instead of cottage cheese --> Try soy cheese, nuts, soy milk (Silk makes a delicious chocolate soy milk). There are also yogurt-like smoothie drinks that have the same benefit to the "women" parts, the protein, but without mlk.

Instead of bacon --> Turkey. My regular supermarket and health store now carries smoked organic turkey strips that are just like bacon strips. You can use them in a sandwhich or cook them for a breakfast meal. I can get you the brand name if you need it. Turkey also has [SIZE=-1]iron, zinc, phosphorus, potassium and B vitamins. I hate turkey but the turkey faux bacons strips are the only turkey that I can handle, they are yummy.

Instead of brown rice --> Explore other whole grains like millet, qinquo and all the many versions of rice, basmati and jasmine rice are used in many Indian restaurants and taste very good with some paprika and cumin added to the boiling water. Google recipies for other ways to cook rice. I like to add half a can of coconut mlk, thyme, olive oil, half teaspoon of paprika and cumin, minced garlic and sometimes half an union just for flavoring (removed after it's cooked). Maybe try making Spanish style rice.

[/SIZE]

tapioca_pudding

Sweet! :D Great lists/plans so far! Im trying to be realistic w/ mine so I can stick w/ it. Ill "upgrade" as I go along/adjust.

Current Food Regimen:

*Blueberry Muffin, banana and some kinda juice for breakfast
*Whatever for lunch (I try to cook @ home to avoid the bad choices around my job but I have fallen off on that)
*Dinner - Sometimes I skip dinner, sometimes Ill have cereal, sometimes Im so wiped Ill go to BK and get a #1 w/ cheese.. :(
*Lots of sugar

New Food Regimen

*4 liters of water a day
*Take all vits. every single nite
*Eat as clean as possible daily
*Change my relationship with food - its fuel, not therapy
*Increase protein, vegetable/fruit, fiber intake
*Decrease sugar, dairy ( :( ), carb intake
*Work out at least 4x a week
*Eat every few hours to keep metabolism burning

Areas to Work On
*Cancel cable tv to encourage being more active
*Postive Thinking/Reinforcement
*Improve my spiritual lifestyle/relationship w/ God
*Be thriftier in my every day purchases
*Get rid of this little pooch (stomach)
*Increase roundness/lift of the booty :D
*Strengthen arm/back muscles
*Turn TV off @ nite and read to fall asleep
*Stop procrastinating
*Be more organized

Thats it for now.. :)

Last edited:

MzOptimistic

SleekandBouncy said:
ETA: CHECK HERE FOR UPDATES. THE DETAILS OF HOW THE CHALLENGE STARTED HAVE BEEN MOVED TO THE 2ND POST.

Update: Everyone participating please post your current diet/regimen and your new goal regimen. Also include what areas you need to work on, whether it's getting enough sleep or flattening the tummy.

Update 07/04/07: The liver is like the pit stop for everything that enters your body. Some of you may want do a liver flush for a few days (optional). Liver congestion is caused by toxic overload, it is unable to detoxify the bloodstream effectively. When the liver is congested, the toxins circulate in the bloodstream and can enter into the brain, nervous system or other organs. The liver can also become congested by an excess of fat, sugar, alcohol, white flour products, and chemicals found in the water, food, and air. My mom did it and I noticed the benefits so I'm going to force myself to do it for 4 days. There are other versions as well if you do a web search. Here's a link to one: Lemon Liver Flush

REMINDER TO POST YOUR BEFORE REGIMEN/DIET AND YOUR NEW ONE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your hair grows from your body, healthy and strong bodies produce long, strong hair. This challenge is about balance, it's not just about eating raw broccoli all day :) If you take a moment each day all of the rules can easily be incorporated into your daily and please take a moment to read ingredients.
As we go along please share tips, recipes and suggestions. Ladies, remember to post your regimens and progress including what changes you'll be making so we know what to hold you to :yep:

Incorporate these rules into your diet.

Good Food List! - Your daily diet *must* include portions of the following and please remember that a balance of protein, complex carbs, vitamins and minerals are need so don't focus on one thing.
  • Include Protein your daily meal -
    Hair is 80-90% protein. I got 1" of unexpected growth just by adding some random protein rich foods. Protein sources include, beans (a can of refried beans and yellow rice is cheap and tasty), chicken, rice, fish (why not make a snack from tuna or kippered herring), cheese, eggs, nuts, tofu and milk. Try to combine proteins to form a complete amino acids like rice & beans.
    Further info: MORE DETAILS
  • Include natural oils in daily diet - It can be as simple as pouring some seasoned olive oil over your veggies or a tablespoon of flax seed oil in the morning.
    Naturally moisturized and softer hair = less breakage, more length retained plus it's good for your skin and the rest of your body. Sources include, nuts, avocados (the small Mexican avocados have more oil, but more fat, the large smooth avocados are less fatty and contain slightly less oil), nuts, flax seed oil, olive oil, fish oil.
  • 8 Glasses of water per day - Water makes up a large percentage of your hair strands. Clean body = better absorbed nutrients. If necessary buy a refillable water bottle and refill every morning or add lemon/lime juice.
  • EAT THOSE UNIONS! - What does MSM, MTG and boundless tresses have in commmon besides being the cause of rapid hair growht for many members? SULFUR! Besides protein sulfur is one of the best things you can do for more growth. Red unions are sweet, so slice thin and throw them in a salad, throw in your rice pot, sprinkle in your potato salad. Don't forget other extras like fresh garlic and tomato are very good for your body.
  • Embrace your exotic cook - Herbs have many beneficial qualities for your body and hair! Ginger for example aids in digestion, sautee your chicken in a sauce of honey and ginger. Break out those long forgotten herbs or discover new ones; paprika, cumin, tarragon, cayenne, cilantro are just a few. Plus they are cheap.
  • Brown rice - White rice is a no-go for this challenge.
  • 2-3 servings of fruits every day - There's a fruit for everyone. Take some to work or school, try strawberries, grapes, watermelon, berries or oranges.
  • Minerals - Mineral deficiency has been linked to everything from fatigue, improper brain functions and even mood swings. Sources of iron include molasses, red meat and dark green vegetables and sulfur is found in unions. There are also multi vitamins that combine multi & mineral into one pill.
  • Take your multi vitamin - Theres a multi vitamin for every price range. Head to your Walmart, Whole Foods, Vitamin Shoppe or GNC and pick up a multi vitamin.
  • Bonus vitamins: B-5, Biotin, MSM, flax seed oil, castor oil. I choose biotin and flax seed oil because they've always made my skin and hair nicer. Tip: Serve out a weeks worth of vitamins in advance and store them in your purse.
  • Daily meal must include a vegetable - Try broccoli covered in olive oil and minced garlic or salad. Buy a pre-cut salad mix, add some sliced red unions, croutons and minced olives and your favorite salad dressing or steam greens in chicken broth and have with dinner.
The NO food list:
  • Junk food - It doesn't mean you can't have mac & cheese, but cut out the big mac, fries, cheese doodles and sugar glazed donuts! There are healthier alternatives. Seek and ye shall find. Do you like M&Ms? Next time grab some carob coated raisins or chocolate covered almonds with the healthiest ingredients list. READ THE INGREDIENTS OF WHAT YOU BUY!
  • White rice - Replace with brown rice, brown basmati or jasmine rice. White rice has the nutrient rich outer layer removed and is filled with carbs. Carbs are broken down into SUGAR and excess sugar leads to adult onset diabetes, weight gain and lacks nutrients that are beneficial to your hair and body.
  • Limit artificial sugars - Not only did my hair grow slower when I had a high sugar diet but my skin wasn't as youthful looking. Remember excessive sugar binds itself to collagen with causes drooping and sagging skin and can stunt the immune system. Check your fruit drink to see if it says "5% Real Juice" or "100%" and avoid high fructose drinks.
  • Deep fried foods. - Try braised, roasted or stir fried.
  • Avoid excessively salty food - Next time you reach for that salt shaker drop it!!
  • Caffeinated and carbonated drinks
  • Limit your stress - It is a fact that stress retards hair growth. Remember worrying never changed anything. Prey, meditate or work on it and then leave it alone.
EXTRAS: ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST CHOOSE AT LEAST 2X OF THE FOLLOWING
  • Physical activity 3x a week - Improved blood flow carries nutrients to your hair follicles. Besides a stronger heart, trim body and youthful glow, exercise makes you sweat which in my experience makes my hair grow. I know it sounds weird but my hair grows faster when it's hot or I'm sweating. Try running, taking your dog for a walk, or hit the gym. If cost is an issue most cities have YMCA that offer discounted access to gym facilities. Locate one near you: http://www.ymca.net/find_your_ymca/
  • 7 to 8 hrs of sleep per night - Your body grows and recuperates while you're asleep. If you're up all night then your body can't rebuild, restore and refresh.
  • No direct heat more than 2x a month - This is an automatic requirement only because growth that's gained during this challenge can easily be lost to breakage. So no flat irons (except new growth), curling irons or hot combs except 2x a month.
  • Drop that cigarette!
Here's an example of a dinner that includes THE RULES:
Stewed/roasted chicken (protein), make it teriyaki or brown stew it in your favorite herbs with minced tomatoes, unions, rice and a side of beans (google some recipies or boil some split pies in a little water, add a little curry, cilantro, salt, paprika and cumin and let it cook down). Beans with rice form a complete protein. Add a salad or some stir fried broccoli and mushrooms and you've got your daily veggies.

Here are some links to articles that discuss the link between hair and diet:

- 6 Superfoods for Healthy Hair
- Hair Health Diet

Thank you soooo much:kiss: for this list. I swear, I have been online trying to find which foods are right to eat and which are'nt...thank you, thank you, thank you:lol: okay, I'm caking now:look: but mo time, thank you:)

Radianthealth

SleekandBouncy said:
That's why this is so good, we can make recommendations to each other and come up with creative alternatives.
Here are alternatives for the 6 superfoods listed in that article:

Instead of beef --> Fish, esp. salmon. Beans (lentil, split peas, red peas, black beans, etc.), chicken.

Instead of cottage cheese --> Try soy cheese, nuts, soy milk (Silk makes a delicious chocolate soy milk). There are also yogurt-like smoothie drinks that have the same benefit to the "women" parts, the protein, but without mlk.

Instead of bacon --> Turkey. My regular supermarket and health store now carries smoked organic turkey strips that are just like bacon strips. You can use them in a sandwhich or cook them for a breakfast meal. I can get you the brand name if you need it. Turkey also has [SIZE=-1]iron, zinc, phosphorus, potassium and B vitamins. I hate turkey but the turkey faux bacons strips are the only turkey that I can handle, they are yummy.

Instead of brown rice --> Explore other whole grains like millet, qinquo and all the many versions of rice, basmati and jasmine rice are used in many Indian restaurants and taste very good with some paprika and cumin added to the boiling water. Google recipies for other ways to cook rice. I like to add half a can of coconut mlk, thyme, olive oil, half teaspoon of paprika and cumin, minced garlic and sometimes half an union just for flavoring (removed after it's cooked). Maybe try making Spanish style rice.

[/SIZE]

Cool, this is much closer to how I eat anyway. I get soy everyday. I don't mind brown rice but I am not big on grains. I do have some quinoa and I enjoy this on my salad or I also like oatmeal or tabouli which is cracked bulgar wheat:)

I love seafood, the other stuff I eat occasionally.

Cholet112

Please add me to the list.

Goal:

My only true goal is to become consistant and disciplined enough to complete this journey.

Hair:

I want to be BSL by December 2008. I am stretching my relaxers 12 weeks and bunning everyday. I wash/deep condition with Aveda DR 2x per week, co-wash in between.

Body:

Im trying to buy my Christmas outfit at Arden B or Bebe. No particular size but thats my goal.
90 Days - Power 90 (june - Sept)
90 Days - Power 90X (oct - dec)
Im training for a marathon Feb 08 so Im running 5x per week.

Food:
1200-1500 Balance Calorie Diet.

I have before pics in my fotki but I wont be unveiling those until Dec 07.

Last edited:

tapioca_pudding

Question about the liver flush - (And Im sorry to be slow) Is this like a fast, meaning all youre having is the drink for 4 days?

SleekandBouncy

kels823 said:
Question about the liver flush - (And Im sorry to be slow) Is this like a fast, meaning all youre having is the drink for 4 days?

You eat, but you eat fresh, healthy foods. Some ppl limit their diet so it's almost like a fast, others eat like normal. I'll probably do it for more than 4 days. I'm thinking a full week or so, I'll be drinking lots of water to flush everything out, eating healthy fresh foods, lots of salads as well. There are variations on the liver flush so you may want to google to see which recipies you prefer. I have personally seen the benefits so IMO, it's a great thing to do especially in conjunction with this challenge.

Radianthealth

On the link it said that it was for folks that were underweight, will this liver flush cause you to gain weight??

SleekandBouncy

trimbride said:
On the link it said that it was for folks that were underweight, will this liver flush cause you to gain weight??

I've heard of it aiding people in loosing weight, only because it allows the body to flush out stuff that it would normally hold on to including fat and various hormones. However, I imagine if someone were underweight because of a hormonal issue or because there body wasn't in balance than perhaps this might allow them to gain weight to be at their healthy weight. I've not gained weight from it however, if anything I've heard reports of it aiding in weight lose (my mom) and in my case firmer skin.

VictoriousBrownFlower

Ok so here are my plans for this challenge. I want to eat a low fat high fiber diet. Substitute refined carbs and sugars for things like rolled oats, barley, quinoa(have no idea where to find it but it sounds healthy), agave nectar, and raw honey. Incorperate soy into my diet. Drink at least 2 liters of water a day. Stop smoking and drinking(thats a big one), and exercise 5-6 days a wk. I won't be able to start until the9th because I have plans for the weekend and I know I will prob end up drinking, but come monday its crunch time.

Longterm goals are to have healthy hair that is below armpit, drop 10-20lbs, and to be cigarette and alcohol free by this time next yr. It's going to be a struggle but I am hoping being in this challenge will keep me on track. Anything worth having is worth fighting for right?:look:

tapioca_pudding

SleekandBouncy said:
You eat, but you eat fresh, healthy foods. Some ppl limit their diet so it's almost like a fast, others eat like normal. I'll probably do it for more than 4 days. I'm thinking a full week or so, I'll be drinking lots of water to flush everything out, eating healthy fresh foods, lots of salads as well. There are variations on the liver flush so you may want to google to see which recipies you prefer. I have personally seen the benefits so IMO, it's a great thing to do especially in conjunction with this challenge.

Thanks!! Im gonna grab some lemons and give it a go... cant hurt right?

pattycake0701

Okay here are my plans:

Current diet:
Actually, I've been eating decently. Just last week, I went an entire week vegan without sugar and artificial additives. But I returned to the bad stuff with a vengenace this week. My old diet consisted of fast food on average four times weekly, and lots of sugar (I like my sweets).

New and improved diet:
I will consume mainly fruits and veggies. I will also be consuming beans, brown rice, oats and whole wheat. I will substitute my ooowy goowy sugar and fat filled desserts with homemade desserts using whole grains, fruit, cocoa powder and stevia. I considered cutting out all animal products but in the meantime, I'll continue to eat lean chicken and turkey, salmon, tuna and eggs.

I will be cutting out dairy. In fact, one day I was listening to the Michael Baisden show and they were discussing our diets. An expert on the show discussed that cutting dairy out of our diets can lead to shorter periods. Well, (and sorry if this is TMI) I just had my period this past week after not consuming any dairy or animal products it was much lighter.

What I'll be working on (in addition to the new diet):
- drinking more water
- taking supplements daily (so far, I take a multi and vitamin C)
- becoming more physically active
- getting more sleep (unfortunately, I can't do 7-8 hours of sleep now because of the kids:( but 6 would be great...maybe next year)

The probable outcome of following the above plan:

- lower risk of heart disease, diabetes, certain cancers, etc
- weight in healthy BMI range (shooting for 135 lbs)
- less stress and more energy
- BSL stretched hair

SleekandBouncy

UPDATE
I found an alternative to bacon bits (which I love). I just made a salad with lettuce, chilled cucumbers, minced avocado, red unions and topped with about 2 pounds of the fake bacon bits, they are delish! If you're a fan of bacon, check it out. It's soy so it has protein (part of the requirements for this challenge). Anyway, everyone else is welcome to post recipies, new finds and tips to aid everyone else in this challenge.

Here it is:
Frontier Bac-Uns

Ayeshia

Im gonna make mines simple..I get overwhlemed with very long lists:

1. Increase Fish intake...I eat sardines and chunk light tuna like they are candy :look: I stopped buying albacore tuna because the mercury levels are higher than that of chunk light. I got that fact from www.oceansalive.org. BUT i guess I can throw some salmon into the mix. I bought the Salmon and Albacore steaks in the package by Bumblebee. They contain 36g of protein per serving :shocked:

2.Get more sleep. I already started going to bed earlier each day...so far so good.

3.I bought some brown rice yesterday...geez 45 minutes to cook? :lol: I see why folks resort to the instant white rice :lol: However the brown rice is not as expensive as it used to be :yep:

4.increase water intake :) Im trying to drink 2 L perday. So far I can only stomach 1.5L. But hopefully the fruits and veggies that I eat help with the water content.

5. I just started Flaxseed oil for Omega 3's instead of fish oil...again it has to do with the mercury content and the amount of fish that Im eating already.

okay Im done. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:

SleekandBouncy

Obviously it's not as healthy as regular brown rice but they do make an almost instant brown rice. I'm guilty of cooking Uncle Ben's brown rice, it cooks in like 20mins.

There have been reports that eating cilantro causes the body to expel a lot of mercury so I will be topping my fish with cilantro or eating on the side, with a salad or minced over beans and rice.
Here's more info:
http://www.modernherbalist.com/cilantro.html

Ayeshia said:

1. Increase Fish intake...I eat sardines and chunk light tuna like they are candy :look: I stopped buying albacore tuna because the mercury levels are higher than that of chunk light. I got that fact from www.oceansalive.org. BUT i guess I can throw some salmon into the mix. I bought the Salmon and Albacore steaks in the package by Bumblebee. They contain 36g of protein per serving :shocked:

2.Get more sleep. I already started going to bed earlier each day...so far so good.

3.I bought some brown rice yesterday...geez 45 minutes to cook? :lol: I see why folks resort to the instant white rice :lol: However the brown rice is not as expensive as it used to be :yep:

4.increase water intake :) Im trying to drink 2 L perday. So far I can only stomach 1.5L. But hopefully the fruits and veggies that I eat help with the water content.

5. I just started Flaxseed oil for Omega 3's instead of fish oil...again it has to do with the mercury content and the amount of fish that Im eating already.

Radianthealth

Ayeshia said:

When I make brown rice, I cook it in the microwave and I make a large container of it and eat it throughout the week. I just put a little water in it and warm it up, taste great too:)

Ayeshia

trimbride said:
When I make brown rice, I cook it in the microwave and I make a large container of it and eat it throughout the week. I just put a little water in it and warm it up, taste great too:)
thanks! I completely forgot about the microwave :lol: I will do this when I make my next batch :yep:

Ayeshia

SleekandBouncy said:
Obviously it's not as healthy as regular brown rice but they do make an almost instant brown rice. I'm guilty of cooking Uncle Ben's brown rice, it cooks in like 20mins.

There have been reports that eating cilantro causes the body to expel a lot of mercury so I will be topping my fish with cilantro or eating on the side, with a salad or minced over beans and rice.
Here's more info:
http://www.modernherbalist.com/cilantro.html

Wow I never knew about this I will defnitely purchase some. I want my albacore back :lol: Thanks! :kiss:

Healthb4Length

Well as apart of my new healthy lifestyle I joined weight watchers and also I am considering taking a boxing 3 times a week. So far weight watchers is working out good, I've lost 6lbs in 2 weeks. I have a way to go to get to my goal but baby steps does it. I want a permanent fix, not a quick one.

I've been eating alot of fish lately, Salmon, Telipia; they really seem to help me with the sugar jitters and tingling feeling I would get at the tips of my toes and fingers. I've been eating more veggies too, so far so good. I love that weight watchers allows me to eat whatever I want in moderation, I hope I'm successful this time around.

bablou00

Haha!!! Your too sweet! I wish that was the case w/ men....

KissKiss said:
wow your STUNNING :) ... if i saw you on the street I would have to do a double take, you must have to carry a big stick around to fight the men off :p

bablou00

Oh yeah I sent sleekandbouncy a workout template and weekly food template if you all want to use. I think it helps to write down what you eat daily when watching what you eat. There is a lot I want to say in this thread but I have to go run before work. I picked up overtime this week so I havent been able to respond to this like I want. Food and working out is my thing so I am really excited about this challenge and will make it my only challenge I think. More info in a few days

imstush

I like this challenge, so I'm in.

Current lifestyle:
Breakfast: any kind of cereal,
Lunch: 1 - 2 .9 oz bottles of water, and subways or regular turkey sandwich
Dinner: A can of sardines or a protein shake.
General Eating habits: I cut out pork over 10 years ago, and I cut out red meat last month.
I feel the need to have something sweet, so I have some kind of chocolate or candy at least once a day.
I take my vitamins every day.
I drink protein shakes occasionally.
I work out 5 days a week but not consistently.
I've been drinking a glass of carrot juice a day, but that's only because my mother made me some, and she added white rum to it:look:

Change/Goals:
Breakfast: Oatmeal or porridge or some type of healthy cereal
Lunch: Tuna or turkey sandwich or salad.
Dinner: Sardines, or any other type of fish.
General eating habits: incorporate more fruits and vegetables through out the day
8 bottles of water.
Drink at least one protein shake in the morning or at night after my workout.
Start eating yogurt
Work out at least 4x's a week.
Cut out the chocolate, and eat yogurt covered almonds, etc. (I dislike raisins).
Drink a glass of carrot juice a day (without the rum)

I am pretty sure I will be adding to this.

saved06

Sign me up!

My Current Diet:
I don't eat breakfast if I do it will be a cheap snack like honey buns.
I eat burgers, pizza, taco bell (I'm a college student so this is cheap and I live in the dorms; but praise God I will have my own apartment in August and can eat better)
Don't really eat fruit
I had Papa Johns Pizza last night........umm ok my diet is horrible..

My workout:

I play tennis about 4 times a week.

My Future diet:
Fish
Brown rice
Salads
Fruits
Vegetables
Soy
Plenty of Water

Extra:
A cup of green tea in morning and before bed
I will kick off this diet with a colon cleanse first at the beginning of August

My workout:

Run 30mins every morning M-F
Abs
Jump Rope 15mins
Various classes offered in evening
Tennis throughout the week

I will keep pics of my progress....I mainly want to have a high protein healthy diet. And I do agree your health will show in your hair. I will be eating alot of green.:grin: I really want to look great for my graduation in December so here we go yall....

Last edited:

CarLiTa

last semester, I did not eat too healthy.
I started eating pancakes for breakfast, but I was getting a lot of proteins because of hard-boiled eggs and such.... but even then, that is too much cholesterol.

this summer, since I am responsible for my own food, I eat healthy.

Current diet
Morning: trader joe's cereal that has raw almonds and soymilk and i typically add a handful of raw almonds to it again, b/c it's so good. then I typically have a banana and water or a bit of trader joe's orange juice.

lunch: for a while, i was having a salad that i would make in the morning, but the bad thing was that i would add canned sweet corn to the mix, along with about 3oz of shrimp. Sure I was getting protein, but someone then told me that shrimp is high in cholesterol, so I can't be eating it EVERYDAY like I was.
I'd have a fruit and water and some nuts as well.

Dinner: typically vegetable fried rice (pre-made), i'd stir fry more shrimp, and add some carrots to the mix. quick and easy. would sometimes have a fruit if i so wished.
Then someone told me that carrots are high in sugar, and that pre-cooked rice has high sodium and it turns out she was right...

In the future:
Breakfast: continue with ceral or oatmeal and bread and soybean butter like I used to do. 4oz of OJ or Green veggie juice (that's a serving of fruit or veggies, BTW) and I may still have another fruit after.

Snack: if i didn't eat a fruit for breakfast, I usually eat one a couple of hours before lunch. Or i have a handful of raw almonds or raw cashews.

Lunch: depends... might be left-over dinner, or turkey sandwich plus salad, or just salad, followed by fruit and water.

Dinner: that's the harder part. I'm just a 18 year old who doesn't know how to make a lot of things. I guess like someone suggested, I will make the rice during the weekend and keep it refrigerated for the rest of the week. Sometimes I make pasta and it can last me 3 whole days... then i just need to make sure that i'm not piling on the carbs during any other meal. I've been grilling chicken breasts lately (did so last night too) and it came out so tasty! I only added this citrus spread on it, some black pepper, a tad bit of salt and lemon pepper seasoning, and this hot sauce, and put it in the hot pan with a tad of butter.

I'm hoping to make my minimum water intake 8 glasses.
I drank about 11 glasses one day and felt SO good!! i've been slacking off and I can feel the changes.

I have just started taking a dance class for the rest of the summer and I'm going to try to exercise 3x/week. Not trying to make it more so that I don't crash completely.

nisha2004

So ladies...i know this has been asked before but i still don't know what the best solution is. What are you ladies doing w/ your hair while your working out. And does you hair keep the perm if your working out heavily. How are you wearing your hair during the week? TIA

Radianthealth

nisha2004 said:
So ladies...i know this has been asked before but i still don't know what the best solution is. What are you ladies doing w/ your hair while your working out. And does you hair keep the perm if your working out heavily. How are you wearing your hair during the week? TIA

I wear a satin scarf on my head when I work out, this keeps it from poofing. I protective style so it is pretty easy for me. If you wear your hair down maybe you could wrap it or pincurl it and tie it down while you are working out:)

BioGeekChic

I would like to join.

My current lifestyle/ body status:
  • I've been eating unhealthy foods and eating out more often and eating more processed foods
  • I really slacked off with my exercise
  • I haven't been regularly taking my vitamins
  • Gained weight :mad:
My goals
  • To increase my fruit (3 serv.)and vegetable (5 serv.) intake
  • Work out about 4-5X a week
  • Drink about 80oz of water daily
  • Regularly take my vitamins
  • Increase my protein and fiber intake
  • Start Yoga again to improve my flexibility and reduce stress
  • Lower my BMI and reduce my belly fat
  • Tone my muscles and develop more lean muscle

PanamasOwn

Here are my struggles:

• College student
  • 40+ work week
  • time to cook (non-existent)
  • Sleep (4-5 hrs a night)
  • Drinking water (I love it, but havent reached this goal)
  • I LOVE BREAD! Its my weakness
My good attributes

• I take my vitamin daily (pre-natal)
  • I usually implement a serving of veggies with one meal a day
  • I eat breakfast daily
  • Don't drink soda as much
  • Began to start working out
What I need to do:

• Eat more fruits
  • drink 8 glasses of water daily :eek:
  • Implement another vitamin
  • eliminate soda altogether
  • workout 3x a week (dont have the time, but I will figure it out)
  • TRY.. (keyword TRY) to let go of some bread...
If anyone knows of any other tips that could help me, PLEASE let me know!
:perplexed

Amber_moon

Im in on this one. Im bookmarking this baby.

Current Status:

*Ive been trying to exercise more and eat more fish lately. But making a trip out of town threw me off th old bandwagon so here I am back to sugary fatty foods again.

*I mostly sit all day so exercise is not something that Im regular with.

*I have my own business so I can choose to stay at home most days if I want. An I usually do.

* Don't take vitamins and don't drink enough water.

Goals:

*To get to the gym at least 3x a week for an hour.
*To start getting my recommended daily values of vitamins minerals and protiens
* To drink more water
* to feel better about myself.

Last edited: