Challenge anyone? Longer hair and Healthier Body 07' Challenge

morehairplease

bablou00 said:
Oh yeah I sent sleekandbouncy a workout template and weekly food template if you all want to use. I think it helps to write down what you eat daily when watching what you eat. There is a lot I want to say in this thread but I have to go run before work. I picked up overtime this week so I havent been able to respond to this like I want. Food and working out is my thing so I am really excited about this challenge and will make it my only challenge I think. More info in a few days

hi sweetie,

can you pm this to me pretty please?

thanks in advance

locabouthair

I need help. I really want to do this but everytime I eat soemthing healthy it never fills me up. Then I get cranky because I am hungry and end up eating some junk food. I ate a healthy lunch but now Im starving and I a about to wild out in applebees. Can you give any advice please?

Healthb4Length

locabouthair said:
I need help. I really want to do this but everytime I eat soemthing healthy it never fills me up. Then I get cranky because I am hungry and end up eating some junk food. I ate a healthy lunch but now Im starving and I a about to wild out in applebees. Can you give any advice please?

Loca I know that Weight Watchers have some items on the AppleBee's menu that are really good. They fill you up and are somewhat forgiving on the waist. For example you can have one of the following; Onion Soup Au Gratin, Cajun Lime Tilapia, Grilled Shrimp Salad, Tortilla Chicken Melt and Chocolate Raspberry Layer Cake. I hope this helps.

locabouthair

Alli77 said:
Loca I know that Weight Watchers have some items on the AppleBee's menu that are really good. They fill you up and are somewhat forgiving on the waist. For example you can have one of the following; Onion Soup Au Gratin, Cajun Lime Tilapia, Grilled Shrimp Salad, Tortilla Chicken Melt and Chocolate Raspberry Layer Cake. I hope this helps.

Hi thanks for mentioning that. my problem is that im not trying to lose weight but when I dont eat right my skin looks horrible, so this is like a clear skin challenge to me, even though I'll probably lose a few pounds. I guess I'll just have to eat bigger quantities of fruits and veggies.

tapioca_pudding

Loco - Also try incoporating more protein into your diet. It sounds like youre consuming alot of empty calories. I get caught up w/ that too sometimes and have to remind myself to get some protein in my system. It really makes a difference, especially first thing in the morning, mid day and mid afternoon. Try it and see if you notice a difference. They sell tuna/albacore/salmon packets at the grocery store, theyre great for quick protein. Peanut butter is good if you can control yourself w/ it (honestly, I cant). Eggs are good too. HTH somehow. :)

locabouthair

kels823 said:
Loco - Also try incoporating more protein into your diet. It sounds like youre consuming alot of empty calories. I get caught up w/ that too sometimes and have to remind myself to get some protein in my system. It really makes a difference, especially first thing in the morning, mid day and mid afternoon. Try it and see if you notice a difference. They sell tuna/albacore/salmon packets at the grocery store, theyre great for quick protein. Peanut butter is good if you can control yourself w/ it (honestly, I cant). Eggs are good too. HTH somehow. :)

Thanks. I bought a protein shake but I just can't stomach the taste of it. I do like peanut butter though.

jaded_faerie

Great challenge I'm in...

Current lifestyle:
eating fluctuates---from barely anything to binging.
Dance every day.
Tennis 2x week
not enough water

Change/Goals:
Breakfast: healthy cereal, fruit, whole wheat bagels, OJ, cranberry juice, eggs

Lunch: salad, sandwich, veggies, tofu burgers, fruits, yogurt

Dinner: Fish, brown rice, veggies, tofu, whole grain pasta, etc. etc.

General eating habits:
increase fiber intake
8 glasses of water.
high protein
low fat
do grocery weekly---fresh food
Work out at least 2x's a week other then my usual tennis.
buy healthier snacks (dried fruit, nuts, seeds)

Last edited:

jaded_faerie

Day 1 for me has been pretty good...

breakfast: cup of coffee, two boiled eggs
lunch: 6 shrimp tempara sushi rolls
snack: grapefruit
dinner: ended up having a side ceasar salad and pasta with shrimp
water intake: so far 1 glass...ill get to 8 by the end of the day :(
exercise: 20minutes of dancing, I will run a mile this evening

will take my multi(forgot to this morning) and vitamins

Last edited:

prettywhitty

I comitted to this challenge earlier, but I didn't have a regimen together.
Here it is:
No sugar, white stuff( rice, bread, potatoes, etc).
More water: 8-12 glasses a day
Increased fresh fruits and veggie intake
No red meat or pork products.

Exercise 5 days a week.
Sleep 7-8 hours a night. Won't always succeed on my clinical days, but on other days this is what I'm aiming for.

I have been eating any and everything and I know that it's not good for me. I'll be back with updates and stuff.

SleekandBouncy

kels823 said:

Loco, I agree with the above.
Breakfast is the most important meal. Eat a well rounded healthy breakfast and you'll be less hungry during the day and it benefits your metabolism.
A cup of orange/pineapple/soymilk/milk/lim&water, your cereal of choice(cornmeal,flakes, oats,etc.) or something like a whole wheat blueberry bagel and a side of scrambled eggs (or tofu, or even the fake bacon strips made from smokey turkey).

Try to eat snacks that have protein and complex carbs that way you get energy and you feel full.

girlyprincess23

I'm a newbie kind of but i'd love to join. I'm looking to lose weight anyway and i definately want to grow my hair. I ate pretty healthily before I started going back to college anyway so I know i can do it again. So do we need to post our plan??

SleekandBouncy

girlyprincess23 said:
I'm a newbie kind of but i'd love to join. I'm looking to lose weight anyway and i definately want to grow my hair. I ate pretty healthily before I started going back to college anyway so I know i can do it again. So do we need to post our plan??

Yes, post your current hair length and health/diet/excercise routine and your new goal routine. The rules for the challenge are on the first page of this thread :)

girlyprincess23

Okay here goes:
1) Current Hair Length: 100% natural 4a, with some 3c spots, don't know the length in inches or anything but last month when I had it flat ironed it reached to the top of shoulders, but when it has been washed and shrinkage has set in it converts to an afro and shrinks up past my ears.

2) Current health/ diet/ exercise: Currently I have been eating very very unhealthily since going back to school full time. A lot of fast food and minimal to no veggies or fruits. I also have a gym membership that remains largely unused. I go once every blue moon certainly not enough. Right now my health status I would consider poor as I am very overweight (211 pounds) compared to my normal weight of (160) and my goal weight of (148).

3)Goals I plan to implement for this challenge:

Portion control (what i did in the past before I fell very far off track was I would fill up the tiny plastic containers with the colorful tops with portions of everything I was supposed to eat for every meal. They're very good guides, if you eat only as much as you can fit into them you get a pretty good portion guide for chicken, fish, rice, veggies, whatever)

NO take out fast food only 1 X a week and then it will be the healthier choices like grilled chicken and veggies or something, since me and my fiancee love going to restaurants

Drink 10 glasses or 80 ozs of water a day

Switching from regular fruit juice to the light fruit juice and cutting the white rice (which I don't eat a lot of anyway)and bread out and replacing with brown rice and whole grain bread.

Last but not least protein, protein, protein. I intend to get the bulk of my meals from grilled chicken, fish, or shrimp. Also I plan to replace my unhealthy snacks with fresh fruits and return to a portion of rice and beans daily and a portion of veggies with every meal.

Also since going to the gym never really seems to work for me i'm going to return to my home videos which I enjoyed. My goal is an hour of cardio every am, 100 sit ups daily and lower body exercises every other day (as I don't want or need any of my behind disappearing either).

Also I'm going to pick a bedtime, since I wake up rather early, which 9:00 pm during the week sounds good since my daughter is asleep by 8pm. That way I can get a good 10 hours of sleep.

Let me know if i missed anything!!!:)

SleekandBouncy

Some of you may wish to post your updates and progress as you go along. Here's mine:

I've done very well avoiding the sugar. I get my fix from carob, a new vanilla chai drink I found and other stuff. I've also done well increasing my protein intake. I've stuck to my protein rich lunches from the Mexican restaurant (beans, roasted chicken strips, rice and a salad and I bring half an avocado to work). I'm getting my greenery through my salad, I found company that makes fake bacon bits, so I find myself going back for second helpings of salad.

I'm not doing well with my water intake. I get distracted and it's just so hard to remember, I've also been slacking on my vitamins.

I've been doing 50 crunches, lunges and I'll be starting at the gym when they open up the gym across from my job in a few weeks.
I've done pretty well sticking to the rules of the challenge so far except for the water/vitamins. I also want to go to bed even earlier.

Results so far: My hair is growing faster and thicker and my skin is a little bit glowier.
I'd like to work gaining some serious abs by the end of the challenge.

tapioca_pudding

Great job Sleek! :D

Ive been doing decent these past few days but I know for SURE that I could be doing better. Im trying hard to motivate myself and force myself to be healthier even when I dont want to. Eventually my body/emotions will adjust. Im extremely sleep deprived (Ive had maybe 30 hours of sleep in the past 9 days) so thats making me very sluggish. But Im going to try to catch up over the next few days. Im still here tho. :)

((HUGZ)) to everyone....

SleekandBouncy

kels823 said:
Great job Sleek! :D

Ive been doing decent these past few days but I know for SURE that I could be doing better. Im trying hard to motivate myself and force myself to be healthier even when I dont want to. Eventually my body/emotions will adjust. Im extremely sleep deprived (Ive had maybe 30 hours of sleep in the past 9 days) so thats making me very sluggish. But Im going to try to catch up over the next few days. Im still here tho. :)

((HUGZ)) to everyone....

I need to be doing better. I'm still going to bed too late (I stay up to watch the repeat of Young & Restless) and I'm drinking no where near the amount of water I should be. I read that the sleep you get before 12am is worth more than the sleep you get after 12am. Meaning even if you sleep from 2am to 12noon it's not the same quality of restorative sleep as sleeping from 10pm to 8am :(

I've decided to motivate myself my choosing a hair and a body inspiration. Everytime I want to slack off I'm going to look at their picture or think of them. My hair inspiration is Macherieamour. I'm still looking for a body inspiration, I'm thinking a celeb with toned defined legs because that's what I'd love to have....maybe Halle.

aroberts

Hope it is not too late to join! I need this, so por favor, count me in!

Old Diet - Lots of unhealthiness going on here... I eat well most days, but stress will put me on a sugar eating binge

New Diet - Eat Clean, no sugar; gotta break the soda habit; eat fruits, veggies, lean protein

Things I need to work on.

1) SLEEP - get more

2)Physical Activity - need to step up my workout game BIG TIME.

3) Water - I love it, but haven't been drinking enough.

4) Attitude towards food - my worst enemy at times, but my best friend for comfort

5) Stay motivated - I am pitiful, I lose weight so fast when I take care of myself and I still don't do it :perplexed

tapioca_pudding

SleekandBouncy said:
I need to be doing better. I'm still going to bed too late (I stay up to watch the repeat of Young & Restless) and I'm drinking no where near the amount of water I should be. I read that the sleep you get before 12am is worth more than the sleep you get after 12am. Meaning even if you sleep from 2am to 12noon it's not the same quality of restorative sleep as sleeping from 10pm to 8am :(

I've decided to motivate myself my choosing a hair and a body inspiration. Everytime I want to slack off I'm going to look at their picture or think of them. My hair inspiration is Macherieamour. I'm still looking for a body inspiration, I'm thinking a celeb with toned defined legs because that's what I'd love to have....maybe Halle.

WOW I did not know that re: the sleep!!!! Great... Def. gotta work on that. Im gonna try to aim to be in bed/mentally prepped for sleep by 1030 @ the latest.

Thats a great idea!!!! Ill have to think hard about that one so I dont pick something thats not realistic for me. Macharieamour is an awesome hair inspiration tho. So are you. :)

C

chica_canella

I'm in and if you guys could post some good bean recipes that would be great. I like lima beans and it is this one Green Giant dish that is Lima Bean Butter sauce and it is so good. You could probably mix it with water to not get all the calories.

But if any of you have any good bean recipes I'd love to hear.

I'm trying to get over this three pound hump and will prob. be starting a cabbage soup diet for the next 3-4 days. Prob. on Sunday.

Ladylyn

I'm in and the timing is perfect. I just started weight watchers, and I'm at the week to start exercise.

Eating Regimen:
WW min 6-8oz h2o
5 serv fruit veggies
protein, calcium
low no sugar, low no salt
no alcohol
vitamins: multi, mnm, biotin, flaxseed oil, vit c and sometimes coq10

Hair Regimen:
Cathy Howse Challenge
wash every 3 dys
moisturize 2x day
protective style bun
deep cond 1x wk
last relaxer 5/23/07

Current Length: APL
Hair Goal: MBL
Weight Goal: not sure yet

nisha2004

Okay guys i promised myself i would start posted my daily meals here...for accountability. So here it goes...(i'll edit to add as the day progresses)

Wednesday, July 18th------30 minutes elliptical
11:30 Breakfast: [24] Froasted Mini Wheats, 1c Skim Milk
1:30 Snack: [1] lg apple cut up, 6oz ff strawberry yogurt
4:40 Lunch:[2] slices of WW Bread, [2] Morningstar Sausage Patties, [1] slice of 2% cheese
6:00 Snack:1 1/2c Skim Milk
Dinner:

Last edited:

sapphire74

How's everyone doing on this challenge? Any updates? I'm going to start this challenge on Monday and need some inspiration.:lol:

I know I want to incorporate Ian Smith's Fat Smash Diet into my plan and work out using The Firm. I have to come back with a plan for my hair!:lol

Radianthealth

Is anyone still doing this. I fell off badly but I am ready to start again.

I am still doing it!!

I am getting good results with my body and hair...I love my healthy active lifestyle, it is really fun and there are tons of benefits:grin:

My regimen:
  • Daily exercise - 1 hour (Mostly weight lifting, some cardio)
  • Green Smoothies (with Carrots) for breakfast
  • Liquid vitamins (Multi, Iron, Glucosamine & MSM) at night because they make me tired when I take them in the morning.
  • Daily flax seed oil, chlorophyll, & spirulina
  • 5-6 small meals a day, all containing a healthy protein. Usually soy protein, hemp protein, or fish.
  • Scalp massages with emu oil and rosemary & peppermint essential oil.
  • Protective styling
  • Positive attitude with a sprankle of Gratitude;)
I need to work on
  • Washing/Conditioning my hair more often
  • Drinking more water
  • Using my steam cabin at least twice per week
  • Incorporating more pilates and flexibility workouts:drunk: