• BSL

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • MBL

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • WL+

Votes: 17 35.4%

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I never let it go so long that it grew past BSL even with thiner ends. I love me a blunt cut unfortunately lol. I will try to go these next 6 months with no trim and see if I can reach BSL before the end of the year even if my ends thin out again. I also think my hair is very uneven because the new growth is stronger than the chemically treated hair so I’m getting a lot of breakage
Thick, full ends are cultivated, not grown naturally, for most heads of hair. It seems to me that you might be cutting off your length gains. Perhaps it might be possible to set a goal length one inch longer than your current length. The process might look like letting the longer parts of your har reach that 1 inch longer. Then baby those ends and protect them until the bulk of the hair reaches that new, longer length that is only one inch away from your current length. Then, 'release' the longer hair and let it drop down another inch. Trim that hair, hold it there and let it the bulk reach this length.

Chicoro

I have a lot of nerve giving length gain advice. Once again my hair is in a cycle of growth and breakage. I put my hair on autopilot and that just does not work for my hair. But, when I make observations about other people's hair, it helps me to help myself.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Also, is the texture of you hair in the crown, on the sides and in the back middle, a different texture than the hair that grows longer? Hair that is coarser than other areas on the head can be more fragile and break faster than other areas. Perhaps if the hair textures in those shorter areas is different, that hair may need more intense moisturizing and/ or more fortification with Yes my hair
Yes all the places have differ textures. The back is looser and easy to smooth. It doesn’t break easily either. The sides are tighter and not as easy to smooth. It’s a little harder to retain length on the sides but not impossible. And the crown is not necessarily tighter but the texture of the hair is less flexible than the back or the sides. It usually shrinks the most and breaks off easy but I don’t notice it because the styles I wear don’t usually let it show or it looks like I cut layers on top. Right now it reaches my shoulders and I’m trying to grow it as long as the rest of my hair.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Is it possible to hold the thin ends at either bsl or at the longer length? That means having a goal length and trimming the longest hair in the back, back up to bsl. This might allow for two things to happen: 1) Those thin ends at the longest part, in the back, can thicken up. 2) The shorter hair in the front and crown may have a chance to catch up in length.
You’re making me wish I had held on to those inches I just cut. They reached BSL when I stretched them. I never have a problem growing my hair to thick SL or APL but BSL has always eluded me. I was only close when I was relaxed

Chicoro

Yes all the places have differ textures. The back is looser and easy to smooth. It doesn’t break easily either. The sides are tighter and not as easy to smooth. It’s a little harder to retain length on the sides but not impossible. And the crown is not necessarily tighter but the texture of the hair is less flexible than the back or the sides. It usually shrinks the most and breaks off easy but I don’t notice it because the styles I wear don’t usually let it show or it looks like I cut layers on top. Right now it reaches my shoulders and I’m trying to grow it as long as the rest of my hair.
One thing you might want to consider is to identify the most fragile hair texture on your head. That would be the sides? Or perhaps the crown? Then, find out what products and processes protect and what techniques and processes make those areas flourish. Then, use those processes and products and styles on your entire head with an eye on ensuring those vulnerable areas continue to flourish and thrive.

Basically, find and focus on the hair that breaks. If you can figure out what makes that thrive, the rest of the hair will follow.

Chicoro

You’re making me wish I had held on to those inches I just cut. They reached BSL when I stretched them. I never have a problem growing my hair to thick SL or APL but BSL has always eluded me. I was only close when I was relaxed
Then, you know for sure WITHOUT a DOUBT that you are NOT at terminal length right now. I hope you strike this double PERMANENTLY from your thoughts.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Then, you know for sure WITHOUT a DOUBT that you are NOT at terminal length right now. I hope you strike this double PERMANENTLY from your thoughts.
My hair was so uneven looking but IDK if it was the humidity shrinkage making my hair look uneven or what. I cut my hair any way. Now its like in-between SL and APL. I didn't stick to the regimen that got me the length I had which is why I am now gung ho for bunning, daily moisturizing and sealing right now. Braids and Wash and goes on transitioning hair were not the move for me to retain length.

Chicoro

View attachment 490609
This is the longest my hair ever got and this was when i was relaxed and transitioning. My hair doesn't seem to grow long IMO
Not to split hairs, but for me relaxed and transitioning is a state that is complex and requires a great amount of conscious attention to manage because of the two types of textures , natural and relaxed and the line of demarcation, on the head at the same time.

As a completely relaxed head, is this the longest length you've reached?

As a completely natural head, is this the longest length you've reached?

Or, the longest length you ever reached was when you had the MIXED textures of relaxed and natural? <----------- I believe this is the one but I'm confirming my understanding.

From the picture, the 'poofiness' at the roots looks like another 2 inches added to the length if it had been bone straight. By my calculations, that would put you at about 1-2 inches above bra-strap. I can't see where YOU were your bra because the bra-strap sits differently on differently people. But what I can clearly say is that there is a curve of your arm pit clearly seen on the right side of the screen and on your right. f the hair were bone straight, if would have hung below that curve of your arm pit. It looks to me that is where you wear your bra under that armpit curve.

Also, you are leaning your head forward, with your chin lower and closer to your chest. The chin could be lifted higher so that the head is in a more neutral position. Lifting your head up to a neutral position would have added another 2 inches.

Four inches of length display are missing in this photo. Two inches are missing because the hair is not bone straight and is poofy and another two inches are not showing because of the positioning of the head. Thus, it is not a true representation of your length.

Also, those ends look great. No, they are not perfectly blunt but they are NOT scraggly and not thin. Those are good, buildable ends in which to continue to add and gain longer lengths.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Not to split hairs, but for me relaxed and transitioning is a state that is complex and requires a great amount of conscious attention to manage because of the two types of textures , natural and relaxed and the line of demarcation, on the head at the same time.

As a completely relaxed head, is this the longest length you've reached?

As a completely natural head, is this the longest length you've reached?

Or, the longest length you ever reached was when you had the MIXED textures of relaxed and natural? <----------- I believe this is the one but I'm confirming my understanding.

From the picture, the 'poofiness' at the roots looks like another 2 inches added to the length if it had been bone straight. By my calculations, that would put you at about 1-2 inches above bra-strap. I can't see where YOU were your bra because the bra-strap sits differently on differently people. But what I can clearly say is that there is a curve of your arm pit clearly seen on the right side of the screen and on your right. f the hair were bone straight, if would have hung below that curve of your arm pit. It looks to me that is where you wear your bra under that armpit curve.

Also, you are leaning your head forward, with your chin lower and closer to your chest. The chin could be lifted higher so that the head is in a more neutral position. Lifting your head up to a neutral position would have added another 2 inches.

Four inches of length display are missing in this photo. Two inches are missing because the hair is not bone straight and is goofy and another two inches are not showing because of the positioning of the head. Thus, it is not a true representation of your length.

Also, those ends look great. No, they are not perfectly blunt but they are NOT scraggly and not thin. Those are good, buildable ends in which to continue to add and gain longer lengths.
This is me with around 8-10 months of NG transitioning from a relaxer. This is the longest it ever got that I still have documented.(rip fotki) I only relaxed 2 times before I decided to go natural again so I wasn’t relaxed long. I ended up with alot of breakage and eventually got a inverted bob cut later through that particular transition. When natural i almost got to BSL too but I was a straight haired natural back then too. I wouldn't mind ends like this today. If the hair was fully straight it wouldn't look so bad but this was in the summer time and my hair just doesn't like to be straight this time of year whether natural or relaxed lol

ckisland

I haven't big chopped, but I've trimmed a few times and I'm around APL now. I might trim one more time just to have a fresh start, but I'm starting a new hair journey. I've moved into my straight hair era, but I also want to hit WL in the next 1-1.5 years. So I have to come up with a whole new regimen. I need to take some starting pics.

This is what I'm thinking to start with:

When using heat (max 2x a month):
Pretreat with Olaplex 0 and 3 (leave on for 40 mins)
Shampoo with Olaplex 4
Condition with Olaplex 5 (leave on for 10 mins)
Leave-in with Olaplex 6
Heat protectant: Olaplex 7 and 9
Alternate wearing hair flatironed or blow dried with curls

When not using heat (alternating weeks):
Shampoo with Carols Daughter Goddess Strength Shampoo
DC with TGIN or Bondbar (haven't tried out yet)
Detangle with Carols Daughter Goddess Strength Conditioner
Leave-in with Olaplex 6 or skip
Style with Mousse Def or CrazySexyCurl
Wear hair in braid n'curl or flexirod set

I'm also going to be trying supplements out for the next few months to see if I see a difference in my growth rate and thickness. I'm aiming to take collagen and biotin daily.

Chicoro

I have re- re-vamped my hair routine. I'm just going back to what I used to do with a few updates that I KNOW are working. I'm going back to a weekly wash. If I do monthly washes, I extend because life gets in the way and my hair suffers. With weekly washes I may extend but it will be a much shorter time period.

• I must do a pre-poo. My hair loves warmed oil, glycerin and Aloe vera with essential oils. I like to work it through section by section and then put in bantu knots to let it soak it up.
  • I just did an Aphogee Treatment using the 2 Step Product. I MUST do these. I hadn't done one in in 9 to 12 months. I must do these every 6 to 8 weeks.
  • I must cover my head at night. My hair dehydrates without it.

I am keeping in the clay mix to wash my hair and I am keeping in slathering with Shea butter and Vaseline and the baggie.

I've got six (6) months in the year and will see how this works out for me.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I am now taking a picture of how much hair I lose per wash day to monitor my breakage. I have switched to weekly washes too because I feel like I neglect my hair when I wait too long to wash. Plus with the daily gelling, my hair feels gunky by the end of the week.

As per @Chicoro Im at my break point stage so I am really being careful.

My hair feels really thick after my trim and when I stretch it it passes my armpit but it doesn’t reach BSL any more. Hopefully I can reach BSL by the end of the year.

Chicoro

I am now taking a picture of how much hair I lose per wash day to monitor my breakage. I have switched to weekly washes too because I feel like I neglect my hair when I wait too long to wash. Plus with the daily gelling, my hair feels gunky by the end of the week.

My hair feels really thick after my trim and when I stretch it it passes my armpit but it doesn’t reach BSL any more. Hopefully I can reach BSL by the end of the year.
This is SO important to recognize and acknowledge, one's break point stage. That is because it allows one to be hyper vigilant and on guard. Even IF you can't stop the breakage, you can whittle down WHEN the breakage starts. From there you might be able to identify WHY the breakage is happening. And maybe, one can identify HOW to stop the breakage.

For so many of us, gaining length is a process and an iterative one at that, meaning that what gets you from point A to B may NOT get you from point B to C. That's why gaining length can feel and can be complex.

snoop

Is it possible to find a style where you are not stretching your hair fully or putting a lot of tension on it? I'm wondering if all of the stretching is what is causing you problems amd ultimately leading to breakage. It sounds like your hair may not like to be bone straight no matter what process you are using (chemicals or heat).

I know that a lot of people don't like the looks of their natural hair when they have tighter textures because it doesn't easily lay flat or look sleek, but what if you tried something like lightly blowing your hair out to give it a gentle stretch then twisting it (flat or single), THEN putting it into a bunned style? Better yet, do this without stretching first.

This way your hair is maintaining its natural coil patterns but you are still bunning your hair and hiding your ends. That might be enough to get you past your breaking point.

Chicoro

Is it possible to find a style where you are not stretching your hair fully or putting a lot of tension on it? I'm wondering if all of the stretching is what is causing you problems amd ultimately leading to breakage. It sounds like your hair may not like to be bone straight no matter what process you are using (chemicals or heat).

I know that a lot of people don't like the looks of their natural hair when they have tighter textures because it doesn't easily lay flat or look sleek, but what if you tried something like lightly blowing your hair out to give it a gentle stretch then twisting it (flat or single), THEN putting it into a bunned style? Better yet, do this without stretching first.

This way your hair is maintaining its natural coil patterns but you are still bunning your hair and hiding your ends. That might be enough to get you past your breaking point.
This below paragraph taken from @snoop 's post is golden right here. And the bolded point is so important:

"I know that a lot of people don't like the looks of their natural hair when they have tighter textures because it doesn't easily lay flat or look sleek, but what if you tried something like lightly blowing your hair out to give it a gentle stretch then twisting it (flat or single), THEN putting it into a bunned style? Better yet, do this without stretching first."

Why?
Because it suggests a variation or a modification that is very small and just a little bit different. It's amazing how a small, tiny tweak or change could make the difference in getting passed a break point to help you to arrive at a longer length. I am not saying that THIS suggestion is the magic suggestion. But what I AM saying it is the MICRO changes like the one suggested above that is usually the key to identifying and getting passed break points and set back points/areas. The hard part is knowing which MICRO change your hair needs in your process to make the difference.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody

You mean like a braid out or twist out bun? I haven’t tried this in a long time. I’ll admit I do like the sleek bun look but I noticed a lot of breakage in the front. I will try this and see how it goes

Chicoro

Micro Changes

Using myself and my hair as an example, over time I found that for my ends I needed to protect them.
  1. Learned from Wanakee Pugh that air dries out hair.
  2. Started to braid the ends of hair instead of leaving the ends loose.
  3. Put grease on the ends.
  4. Saw how people using glycerin based products gained length.
  5. Added glycerin based products to my hair.
  6. Started putting glycerin on first then grease.
  7. LHCF learned about baggie method.
  8. Braided hair, put on glycerin, changed to Vaseline and Baggied.
  9. Added coated rubber bands to process to hold braids in place, folded up so ends are completely out of air.
  10. Started to use spray bottle to coat hair. Learned that spray bottle stuff should only go on pony because it messes up and dulls roots of hair.
  11. Added Shea butter to regimen. Learned that only whipped butter works on bulk of hair.
  12. Found out can use straight Shea butter on Ends of hair in addition to vaseline.

My Ends are gorgeous now after years and years of trial and error. It seems like such a simple and obvious process. But I can assure you getting here as been a circuitous route with LOTS of getting OFF track and distractions, misinformation and other opinions that sometimes did not server me or my journey.

My ends are the WEAKEST and most vulnerable part of 'my' hair journey. Some people blow up and get fat from a French fry. For me, my hair ends crumbled into 6 prong split ends, got mid shaft splits, turned grey and crunchy and knotted 5 times with some lent on every hair strand.

So, you've got to know what your problem area is AND how to address that problem area to solve it, JUST LIKE in any other area in LIFE.

These tweaks from 1 to 12 took me YEARS to arrive at and modify enough with trial and error to know what worked and didn't work. That is a huge part as to why this site is so incredibly valuable. You can use others' experience and leapfrog over personal trial and error and long lengths of time needed to get to where you want to go and get what your hair needs FASTER!!!!

Last edited:

Chicoro

You mean like a braid out or twist out bun? I haven’t tried this in a long time. I’ll admit I do like the sleek bun look but I noticed a lot of breakage in the front. I will try this and see how it goes
I'm not @snoop but I did not interpret what she said this way. I think she is saying to blow out your hair but don't get it bone straight. Then put that blown out hair in a bun. The bun should not be 'pulled' too tight. The bun will not be wet. The hair ends will not be exposed.

Then style hair with that straightened hair and be conscious of protecting the ends and any vulnerable spots on the head that are prone to breakage and ensure those areas are not too tension stretched either when you choose your protective style.

@snoop will clarify for us and correct us when you she gets back to us.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I'm not @snoop but I did not interpret what she said this way. I think she is saying to blow out your hair but don't get it bone straight. Then put that blown out hair in a bun. The bun should not be 'pulled' too tight. The bun will not be wet. The hair ends will not be exposed.

Then style hair with that straightened hair and be conscious of protecting the ends and any vulnerable spots on the head that are prone to breakage and ensure those areas are not too tension stretched either when you choose your protective style.

@snoop will clarify for us and correct us when you she gets back to us.
Oh i misread. I don't know how I would like the blown out look for a bun because I like the super sleek wavy look. Maybe i need another style? I am a little sick of the bun honestly but i need a reliable low maintenance style that i can wear to work since im going back to the office in a few weeks. Ive considered doing twists with added hair but i don't know if i have the strength to do them myself and i don't want to pay anyone to do my hair because i never like how they do it.(Bulky)

Chicoro

Oh i misread. I don't know how I would like the blown out look for a bun because I like the super sleek wavy look. Maybe i need another style? I am a little sick of the bun honestly but i need a reliable low maintenance style that i can wear to work since im going back to the office in a few weeks. Ive considered doing twists with added hair but i don't know if i have the strength to do them myself and i don't want to pay anyone to do my hair because i never like how they do it.(Bulky)
You didn't misread anything. It's a question of interpretation.

Attention!!!!!! - Go BACK to the issue: Your break point and not being able to get solidly to bra-strap length. THIS IS THE ISSUE

Unfortunately it is NOT just about:
  • It is not about what you LIKE : "I like the super sleek wavy"
  • It is not about what is exciting and every changing: "I am a little sick of the bun"
  • It is not about your work routine: "I'm going back to the office"
  • It is not about skill/strength and dong things YOU cannot personally maintain: " I don't know if I have the strength to do them myself"
  • It I not about doing what you KNOW YOU DON'T like or don't like to do: " I don't want to pay anyone to do my hair because I never like how they do it"
(All of these elements above are IMPORTANT so you can stick with your process, but some aspects of it may need have less focus and others more focus. That's why so many people seem to be saying something different when it comes to gaining length. It really is an ART and SCIENCE and it is NOT easy to figure out for some heads, including me too!)

This is a loop and gong in circles. This is what you ALWAYS do and the result is ALWAYS the same: Can't get passed bra-strap!

Stop!
What can you modify and tweak and do that you HAVE NOT DONE before, and is WHAT YOU LIKE and DOES FIT in your routine and work life?

Change only one thing. Then test it for at least a month. Then check back. Your way of checking is blowing out your hair and trimming the ends.

The one thing you love is your gel combination and conditioner.

If something is WORKING you may have to stick with it, especially if you have a goal like getting to bra-strap. Yet, you are considering changing because you are BORED of the style.

If you have great ends and sleekness, but breakage in the front, focus on how to modify and stop the breakage in the front but somehow keeping the gel mix and the bun.

But the real question is : Is it working and getting you to your goal of bra strap? And the devil is in the details!

By the way @Napp , these are just examples.

I myself CAN'T get passed MY OWN BREAKPOINT of tailbone length. When I do, I CAN'T maintain that length. So, I too am trying to figure out my path. By looking at your process, it helps me to figure out what to consider for my own journey.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody

Attention!!!!!! - Go BACK to the issue: Your break point and not being able to get solidly to bra-strap length. THIS IS THE ISSUE

• It is not about what is exciting and every changing: "I am a little sick of the bun"
  • It is not about skill/strength and dong things YOU cannot personally maintain: " I don't know if I have the strength to do them myself"
  • It I not about doing what you KNOW YOU DON'T like or don't like to do: " I don't want to pay anyone to do my hair because I never like how they do it"
(All of these elements above are IMPORTANT so you can stick with your process, but some aspects of it may need have less focus and others more focus. That's why so many people seem to be saying something different when it comes to gaining length. It really is an ART and SCIENCE and it is NOT easy to figure out for some heads, including me too!)

This is a loop and gong in circles. This is what you ALWAYS do and the result is ALWAYS the same: Can't get passed bra-strap!

Stop!
What can you modify and tweak and do that you HAVE NOT DONE before, and is WHAT YOU LIKE and DOES FIT in your routine and work life?

Change only one thing. Then test it for at least a month. Then check back. Your way of checking is blowing out your hair and trimming the ends.

If something is WORKING you may have to stick with it, especially if you have a goal like getting to bra-strap. Yet, you are considering changing because you are BORED of the style.

If you have great ends and sleekness, but breakage in the front, focus on how to modify and stop the breakage in the front but somehow keeping the gel mix and the bun.

But the real question is : Is it working and getting you to your goal of bra strap? And the devil is in the details!

I myself CAN'T get passed MY OWN BREAKPOINT of tailbone length. When I do, I CAN'T maintain that length. So, I too am trying to figure out my path. By looking at your process, it helps me to figure out what to consider for my own journey.
The bulk of my hair is retaining length but the front hairline is a bit broken off even passes my new growth so that's why I think this style needs to be changed. I just started spraying Aphogee green tea restructurizer on the perimeter of my hair every night to help with breakage on the edges. IDK if it will help in the long run. I am just testing. So far i see very little breakage when i wash my hair so i know something is working

Chicoro

The bulk of my hair is retaining length but the front hairline is a bit broken off even passes my new growth so that's why I think this style needs to be changed. I just started spraying Aphogee green tea restructurizer on the perimeter of my hair every night to help with breakage on the edges. IDK if it will help in the long run. I am just testing. So far i see very little breakage when i wash my hair so i know something is working
BRAVO, @Napp !!!!!

Last edited:

snoop

Not braid/twist out... but one with your your hair still bound. Personally, I prefer twists because install and take downs are faster for me, but they're also easier to moisturize.

I'll try to find some examples for you.

snoop

Not braid/twist out... but one with your your hair still bound. Personally, I prefer twists because install and take downs are faster for me, but they're also easier to moisturize.

I'll try to find some examples for you.

ETA: 1. Stretch your hair lightly if you prefer to work with your hair stretched and not shrunken. Don't fully Stretch because I'm not sure that your hair prefers to be worked on stretched instead of shrunken.

2. Install twists, flat twists, or loose braids WITHOUT extensions.

3. Bun or style the twists or braids so that your ends are hidden. At this stage you can add a faux pony IF your hair can manage it.

The overall idea is to bind your hair then protect your ends. Binding your hair allows you to style it without playing with it and manipulating it every day with a comb or brush. Hiding your ends helps you to protect them.

snoop

Stop!

This!

Unfortunately, there are times where we have to figure out what it is that we really want. In this case: longer hair or sleek hair styles. Neither answer is correct l, just as neither answer is wrong.

As @Chicoro said, your current routine isn't giving you the results that you want, so holding on to it and hoping for change may only steal your progress further.

We got you either way. :hug:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
ETA: 1. Stretch your hair lightly if you prefer to work with your hair stretched and not shrunken. Don't fully Stretch because I'm not sure that your hair prefers to be worked on stretched instead of shrunken.

2. Install twists, flat twists, or loose braids WITHOUT extensions.

3. Bun or style the twists or braids so that your ends are hidden. At this stage you can add a faux pony IF your hair can manage it.

The overall idea is to bind your hair then protect your ends. Binding your hair allows you to style it without playing with it and manipulating it every day with a comb or brush. Hiding your ends helps you to protect them.
I dont think this style would work for me but i agree with wearing my hair in some type of braid or twist. I just ended up cornrowing my hair and wearing wigs again. I slightly give up on my natural hair right now. I just need a break from being in my hair.