Hip–Tailbone Length (HL–TBL) 2015-2016 Challenge!

Lucia

Yes, my hair can't handle the blow-fryer.
@faithVA, in one of her video's, she states that she doesn't DC. Life is not fair!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
New trimming shears + a fresh roller set with smooth ends = search and destroy.

But what do you do when you go to search and destroy and there is NOTHING to destroy?!!!!

c6dbb7ddd5d1edd99ea6bc817b66b409f4f222a8ce47c9650af7ad59855136cc.jpg

Since I did a big trim November 4th, I'm trying to monitor my ends (now that most of my hair is natural) to get a feel for when splits & knots will come around. 2 1/2 months in and nothing. I'll re-check in another month. How often are you Ladies dusting, trimming, S & D'ING or doing whatever it is that you do to keep your ends fresh?

I'm doing all the above on an as needed basis. I only trimmed my transitioning hair once or twice a year and that worked extremely well. What say you?

Last edited:

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
That meme though..:lachen::amen:
New trimming shears + a fresh roller set with smooth ends = search and destroy.

But what do you do when you go to search and destroy and there is NOTHING to destroy?!!!!

View attachment 348867

Since I did a big trim November 4th, I'm trying to monitor my ends (now that most of my hair is natural) to get a feel for when splits & knots will come around. 2 1/2 months in and nothing. I'll re-check in another month. How often are you Ladies dusting, trimming, S & D'ING or doing whatever it is that you do to keep your ends fresh?

I'm doing all the above on an as needed basis. I only trimmed my transitioning hair once or twice a year and that worked extremely well. What say you?

caliscurls

@lulu97

My last search and destroy was in May of 2015. Since then I've checked and not really needed it until now. This is the longest I've ever gone (I used to be an every 6 to 8 week duster). Now I just need to find the time to do it because I'm definitely in need! Lol! I think a good search and destroy every 6 to 8 months will work for me.

caliscurls

Finally got around to taking care of my ends. Got in a thorough dusting by using the SplitEnder on each twist as I redid them yesterday after a nice wash, protein treatment and DC. Instead of air drying as usual I used the tension method to dry this time around.

Lately I've been using the Komaza protein treatment with every wash which is interesting considering I used to think I was protein sensitive. Now I realize it sometimes comes down to the kind of protein you're using. I love the way my hair feels after Komaza protein and then Jessicurl DC.

I only wash every other week to 3 weeks though depending on my schedule that may be a factor as well. In between I do a DC on the ends only.

Anyone else use protein with every wash?

caliscurls

I wasn't supposed to do another length check until March but I couldn't help myself and peeped it out this morning. 1/2 inch to go until waist length! :happydance: In late March, I'll be 3 years post my last relaxer and if all goes well waist length...well right at waist in the longest layer. From there Hip is about 4 inches so 8 - 10 months away. I'm amazed at my progress!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I wasn't supposed to do another length check until March but I couldn't help myself and peeped it out this morning. 1/2 inch to go until waist length! :happydance: In late March, I'll be 3 years post my last relaxer and if all goes well waist length...well right at waist in the longest layer. From there Hip is about 4 inches so 8 - 10 months away. I'm amazed at my progress!

@caliscurls Wow that is awesome progress! :cup: You got the retention game on lock. :boxing:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Random long hair thought:

Sooooooo out of sheer boredom (being snowed in for 3 straight days) I binged watched some of my old favorite you tubers and sadly I noticed a trend. All of their hair went down hill from trying stuff. Straightening systems, color (bleach) product hopping..etc

I learned something very important. Once you find what works, stick to it. It's not worth it for all that experimenting. And if you are gonna make you tube videos, keep your day job. (Passion over funds) I just can't trade my hair's health to get paid a few dollars by a company who is just gonna move on to another you tuber with a big following.

Keep those regimens solid my fellow hipsters!

SmilingElephant

@SmilingElephant Woot woot! Happy Belated Birthday Beautiful!!!

And why did it suck? You made it another year! That alone is enough to smile about!

Thanks!! It sucked bc I ended up having to go to work, had a bad fibromyalgia flare up and had to leave early and almost all my family forgot it was my birthday until almost midnite....it just really sucked and I had a very bad depression spell on top of that (I suspect my dot is coming soon :( ), very bad birthday.

I spent it all in bed. Still trying to recover.

But thanks so much. :)

caliscurls

Yesterday I finally finished retwisting my hair after having washed it almost 2 weeks ago. During that time I didn't moisturize much because I like the fullness of clean hair (not being weighed down by product). It looked good when I was done but I couldn't help but wonder at some of my ends. For a while now they've looked a little thinner and I suspect it could have been from using the denman brush quite a bit in December. It's either that or I'm going through a lengthening phase.

The denman has been put away for now..