Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2024

What problem are you looking to resolve so you CAN have Luscious, Healthy Ends in 2024?

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
My granddaughter's hair is growing like wildflowers. I keep it in cornrows, Minnie puffs and beads. (She's 4). I oil her braids weekly. I clay wash her hair once a month. My daughter alternates spraying rosemary water and fenugreek water on her hair on a weekly basis. As she gets older, it's getting easier to keep her hair in good condition. I also use the Melanin twisting butter on her hair to keep it moisturized between styles.
Wow! Look at all that collected wisdom and experience that your granddaughter is receiving for her sacred self and her sacred hair from a Sacred Woman, YOU!!

It's great to know that the process and formulations are working beautifully and effectively on her hair, too!

Your story showing that you are involved and passing down your hair care wisdom to your granddaughter epitomizes why I am an Afro Textured Hair Pest, or why I implore women with afro textured hair to learn about their hair, accept it, embrace it, love it and give them and their hair loving care.

This is because that knowledge you gather can be passed down like an inheritance. Yes, monetary wealth is important, but loving oneself and knowing how to give oneself deep, profound care are priceless. How often have we heard of the poor little rich girl, or the wastrel womanizing drunken heir to a fortune, both of whom die before they can get old, or truly enjoy their money?

Thus, by your learning and cultivating knowledge, you and your daughter are setting up your precious, little one on the right road from the very beginning. She's the recipient of something invaluable: knowing herself and loving herself. You both are equipping her and fortifying at the deepest depths of her being, setting her up for LIFE success.

What a blessing on so many levels.

Chicoro

Okay, it begins...

Would you believe that this is ONLY 2 TABLESPOONS of dried fenugreek seeds?!!! Amazing !
I thanked the seeds for their gift of life and then placed them in my oil. I had far too much
greenery and herbs. I had to use four (4) cups oil to cover over the seeds and rosemary and
the cloves. I used whole dried cloves but put them in my grinder to grind them down right
before I put them in the olive oil. Also, I placed the oil on the lowest heat on my stove and will let
them warm for thirty (30) minutes.

Soaked overnight Friday, Rinsed Saturday Morning. Used today, Sunday morning and Sunday
morning finished sprouts pictured below.

Sprouting system used: Old glass jar, raggedy partially together knee hi, orange rubber band!

Fenugreek A.jpegFenugreek B.jpegFenugreek C.jpegFenugreek D.jpeg

Last edited:

MzSwift

Okay, it begins...

Would you believe that this is ONLY 2 TABLESPOONS of dried fenugreek seeds?!!! Amazing !
I thanked the seeds for their gift of life and then placed them in my oil. I had far too much
greenery and herbs. I had to use four (4) cups oil to cover over the seeds and rosemary and
the cloves. I used whole dried cloves but put them in my grinder to grind them down right
before I put them in the olive oil. Also, I placed the oil on the lowest heat on my stove and will let
them warm for thirty (30) minutes.

Soaked overnight Friday, Rinsed Saturday Morning. Used today, Sunday morning and Sunday
morning finished sprouts pictured below.

Sprouting system used: Old glass jar, raggedy partially together knee hi, orange rubber band!

View attachment 494969View attachment 494971View attachment 494973View attachment 494975

OMG!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

And now I need to figure out how I want to reuse the overnight water and the rinsing water, bc I'm not drinking them.
I'm for sure using one in my daily tea spray mix. Maybe the other can be used as the water in my Ayurvedic daily conditioner mix.
Or maybe I'll mix them together and use the mix in both.

And you just reminded me that I need to buy a separate blender for my hair stuff. I tried to use my hand/manual one like this:

1710685994982.png

The Fenugreek seeds laughed at it and it only broke up my clove buds a little.

I probably need to just go ahead and get a pestle. I've been avoiding it bc the way I'm so gleeful and cackling when I'm mixing up hair products in the bathroom now, DH already jokingly calls me a witch. If I get a pestle, it's over! I'm embracing my witchiness!! :lachen:

Chicoro

And now I need to figure out how I want to reuse the overnight water and the rinsing water, bc I'm not drinking them.
I'm for sure using one in my daily tea spray mix. Maybe the other can be used as the water in my Ayurvedic daily conditioner mix.

And you just reminded me that I need to buy a separate blender for my hair stuff. I tried to use my hand/manual one like this:

View attachment 494985

I probably need to just go ahead and get a pestle. I've been avoiding it bc the way I'm so gleeful and cackling when I'm mixing up hair products in the bathroom now, DH already jokingly calls me a witch. If I get a pestle, it's over! I'm embracing my witchiness!! :lachen:
1710687061114.png

You may be in the bathroom cackling behind closed doors, but your DH knows exactly how his witch looks and what kind of witch HE's got. That's why he can jokingly call you one, a witch. We know your'e a witch, too @MzSwift. I've seen your photos so I'd say you right up there with Ms. Hazel Witch, pictured in front of the open book, from Looney Tunes cartoons. Both you and her are 'fine as wine' with banging bodies. You know I already asked if you could ship me one of you to France. I need a body as beautiful as yours like you got. You need to bottle some of that.

Question: Why are you grinding the fenugreek seeds? I thought we are supposed to soak them, sprout them, put them in the oil and then strain them out with a nylon knee hi.

Last edited:

Chicoro

View attachment 494985

I use an inexpensive coffee grinder for my cloves. It's less than 15.00 dollars. You should be able to find one at Walmart.

1710687663505.png

newgrowth15

Wow! Look at all that collected wisdom and experience that your granddaughter is receiving for her sacred self and her sacred hair from a Sacred Woman, YOU!!

It's great to know that the process and formulations are working beautifully and effectively on her hair, too!

Your story showing that you are involved and passing down your hair care wisdom to your granddaughter epitomizes why I am an Afro Textured Hair Pest, or why I implore women with afro textured hair to learn about their hair, accept it, embrace it, love it and give them and their hair loving care.

This is because that knowledge you gather can be passed down like an inheritance. Yes, monetary wealth is important, but loving oneself and knowing how to give oneself deep, profound care are priceless. How often have we heard of the poor little rich girl, or the wastrel womanizing drunken heir to a fortune, both of whom die before they can get old, or truly enjoy their money?

Thus, by your learning and cultivating knowledge, you and your daughter are setting up your precious, little one on the right road from the very beginning. She's the recipient of something invaluable: knowing herself and loving herself. You both are equipping her and fortifying at the deepest depths of her being, setting her up for LIFE success.

What a blessing on so many levels.
Thank you @Chicoro. We have instilled a love for her hair in my granddaughter from birth.

Through ladies like you and others on LHCF, I learned to love and care for my hair since in joined in 2008. I appreciate the collective knowledge and wisdom of those on this board.

Chicoro

My hair is between 10 and 15 inches long. I want it to be 30 inches. Best case scenario I can get there in 4 years as long as I take good care of it, and don’t let my stylist trim too much
I LOVE to see this! What was the impetus for this 30 inch goal that you have not only set, but have expressed and shared with us? This is BIG. What has shifted for you? I know you’ve mentioned from time to time a little bit that you were considering having a different person trim than the one who is your main stylist. Based on looking at your hair and considering the timeline you have set, I think this is very doable for you. I personally would love to reach thirty inches. I’ve gotten to 27 inches on about six of my hair strands, once! This is so interesting! I’m so excited for you!

Chicoro

Yes! At first I was using grease but I’m running out and was trying to stick to my no buy. So the Shea butter stashed for my body and feet started to be used. I like the way my hair feels with queen Shea and but like my Shea better because it has a nicer smell lol
Are you saying you prefer your own Shea blends to the commercial products containing Shea you have for feet and body?

Chicoro

My hair is between 10 and 15 inches long. I want it to be 30 inches. Best case scenario I can get there in 4 years as long as I take good care of it, and don’t let my stylist trim too much
With no setbacks, you could get to 30 inches in 3 years, based upon and adding to the 15 inches you already have.

Retaining 5 inches, trimming back one inch, for a total of 15 additional inches at year 3.

Or, 3.5 inches per year, over a four year period would put you at 29 inches in four (4) years.

GettingKinky

I LOVE to see this! What was the impetus for this 30 inch goal that you have not only set, but have expressed and shared with us? This is BIG. What has shifted for you? I know you’ve mentioned from time to time a little bit that you were considering having a different person trim than the one who is your main stylist. Based on looking at your hair and considering the timeline you have set, I think this is very doable for you. I personally would love to reach thirty inches. I’ve gotten to 27 inches on about six of my hair strands, once! This is so interesting! I’m so excited for you!
I like to wear my hair in it naturally curly state and I want to to hang past my shoulders. I think it will have to be at least this long yo achieve that goal.

But I also feel like my desire to wear my hair out and curly almost every day will make it difficult for me to have 30 inches of hair. Going back to bunning is probably my best path to long hair, but I really like to wear it curly. I’m not sure how to resolve this dilemma .

MzSwift

View attachment 494987

You may be in the bathroom cackling behind closed doors, but your DH knows exactly how his witch looks and what kind of witch HE's got. That's why he can jokingly call you one, a witch. We know your'e a witch, too @MzSwift. I've seen your photos so I'd say you right up there with Ms. Hazel Witch, pictured in front of the open book, from Looney Tunes cartoons. Both you and her are 'fine as wine' with banging bodies. You know I already asked if you could ship me one of you to France. I need a body as beautiful as yours like you got. You need to bottle some of that.

Question: Why are you grinding the fenugreek seeds? I thought we are supposed to soak them, sprout them, put them in the oil and then strain them out with a nylon knee hi.

Awwwww. :blush: Thank you! :kiss:

You're such an awesome cheerleader! I need to keep a mini Chicoro in my purse with me!!

When I first got the seeds, I was planning to grind them up along with the clove buds to see if the goodness could also be released that way.
But, more and more, I'm learning that the power is in the sprouts. So I need to go on and do it that way and quit playing.

I use an inexpensive coffee grinder for my cloves. It's less than 15.00 dollars. You should be able to find one at Walmart.

View attachment 494989

A coffee grinder!! Of course, that makes so much sense. Thank you!

Chicoro

I like to wear my hair in it naturally curly state and I want to to hang past my shoulders. I think it will have to be at least this long yo achieve that goal.

But I also feel like my desire to wear my hair out and curly almost every day will make it difficult for me to have 30 inches of hair. Going back to bunning is probably my best path to long hair, but I really like to wear it curly. I’m not sure how to resolve this dilemma .
The hard part is putting the dilemma on the table and getting it out of your head. Now that it's clear and it's what you need to resolve, the answer will come. It may be through a breakthrough, or a haircare practice or from seeing something external to you. But, the answer will surely come!

Chicoro

Awwwww. :blush: Thank you! :kiss:

You're such an awesome cheerleader! I need to keep a mini Chicoro in my purse with me!!

When I first got the seeds, I was planning to grind them up along with the clove buds to see if the goodness could also be released that way.
But, more and more, I'm learning that the power is in the sprouts. So I need to go on and do it that way and quit playing.

A coffee grinder!! Of course, that makes so much sense. Thank you!
Sprout them seeds!

GettingKinky

With no setbacks, you could get to 30 inches in 3 years, based upon and adding to the 15 inches you already have.

Retaining 5 inches, trimming back one inch, for a total of 15 additional inches at year 3.

Or, 3.5 inches per year, over a four year period would put you at 29 inches in four (4) years.
Back when I used to get relaxers I could easily measure my growth rate and it wa a little over 5 inches a year. If I trim 4x a year and only do 1/4” each time I would end up with 4” a year. So in 4 years my hair would be between 26-32” depending on the location.

I will have to vigilant that each trim only removes 1/4” which makes me think I should do them myself.
But I also want my hair to look nice when I wear it out and when my stylist does blow out trims, it looks nice, but I think she removes more than 1/4”

Maybe I should give myself 5 years. March 2029 I could have 30” hair in some places.

Chicoro

@Chicoro, the base for my herbal infused oil is either olive oil or grapeseed oil. I usually make 1 to 2 cups at a time. (I share this oil with my granddaughter.) 1 cup lasts a long time, because I only use a few drops at a time.

1 Tbs. fresh or dried rosemary leaves (I try to use fresh as much as possible, but sometimes my rosemary plant doesn't have enough leaves to yield what I need)

1tsp. whole cloves

1Tbs. fenugreek seeds (fenugreek seeds do not soften in oil, so I put them in 1/2 bottle of water and let them soak overnight. The next day, I drink the fenugreek water [so many benefits internally] and recap the bottle with the softened seeds. I let the seeds sprout in the bottle for 2-3 days, then I dry them on a paper towel before adding them to the oil. [I don't want rancid oil.])

I add all of the ingredients to a Mason jar and set it in a pot of water to simmer for about 30 minutes. This infuses all of the herbal goodness directly into the oil. If I don't need the oil immediately, I will let the oil sit for a few days before straining it through a knee-high stocking. I pour the oil into a nozzle bottle and apply it to my scalp 3-4 times per week. I also add a little oil to my strands and to my ends. I am aware that there is a no oils and butters bandwagon, but I'm not one to jump on those too quickly. I know what my hair needs and likes, so I feed it.

I did two things incorrectly:

• I put in 1 tablespoon of clove instead of 1 teaspoon (by accident) Thought it was 1 tablespoon-Nope!
  • I did not dry out the sprouts (I forgot) I may end up with rancid oil, but I hope not.

Sigh..
That's okay. "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again".

Chicoro

@snoop, most of the benefits of fenugreek are in the sprouted seeds. If I recall correctly, about 70% of the benefits can only be attained in the sprouted seeds.

Does tallow act like grease? Is it made from beef fat?

Cytotoxicity of Fenugreek Sprout and Seed Extracts and Their Bioactive Constituents on MCF-7 Breast Cancer Cells​

Kholoud K. Khoja,1 Melanie-Jayne R. Howes,2,3 Robert Hider,3 Paul A. Sharp,1 Iain W. Farrell,2 and Gladys O. Latunde-Dada1,*
Salman M. Hyder, Academic Editor

"However, some studies suggest that germinated fenugreek seeds (i.e., sprouts) have a higher antioxidant content than boiled non-germinated fenugreek seeds [9]. The sprouting of fenugreek seeds is thought to increase the release, or the bioavailability, of bound antioxidants and other bioactive compounds [9].13 févr. 2022"

MzSwift

Wow, so I know this is an ENDS focused thread but I wanted to follow up with you ladies and also annotate somewhere on here what I'm doing. :supergrin:

So yesterday, I poured the soaking water into a separate jar and put it in the fridge.
Then I copied sista @Chicoro and used a nylon over the jar that contained the seeds and put it under the bathroom sink in the cabinet with the jar laying on its side.
This morning, I had baby sprouts!
So I poured more lukewarm water into the jar and lightly shook it to ensure it was rinsing the baby sprouts well
I poured the water out into and old yogurt tub using a strainer at the top to catch the sprouts.
I put the sprouts back into the jar using a wide mouth funnel. Any strays that fell into the sink, I dropped into the bottom of my scalp condish/oil mix. lol
I re-covered the seeds with the nylon and put them back under the sink with the jar laying on its side again.

Then, is the good part!
I took the drained water and poured it onto my head, focusing on my scalp. Then I lightly scratched my scalp using my nails and applied my herbal scalp tonic (nettle root, burdock root, horsetail leaves and hibiscus petals infused in EVOO + peppermint, lavender EOs). Then I liberally applied my Ayurvedic hair oil and slathered on a cheapie moisturizing condish. I massaged it all in and then squeezed out as much excess water/product as I could and loosely bunned. Covered my head with my mens satin cap and a bandana. My scalp is feeling lovely!

When I rinse the sprouts again in 8-12 hrs, I plan to pour that onto my head again but I'll cover with a thicker moisturizing condish, maybe even a DC and just leave that in to "wash" out tmrrw with my Ayurvedic cleanser (shikakai, neem, condish and Castile soap + peppermint and lemon EOs)

I think I'm gonna boil a tea using clove buds and nettle leaves and then mix that with the Fenugreek soaking water. That water is super yellow and cloudy so there's no way there's no goodness in it! And then that tea will be mixed 50/50 with my usual Ayurvedic tea (Hibiscus, Brahmi and Bhringraj) in a spray bottle for my daily spray.

snoop

I did two things incorrectly:

• I put in 1 tablespoon of clove instead of 1 teaspoon (by accident) Thought it was 1 tablespoon-Nope!
  • I did not dry out the sprouts (I forgot) I may end up with rancid oil, but I hope not.

Sigh..
That's okay. "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again".

If you must, refrigerate the oil. You also probably don't want to keep the oil indefinitely since the sprouts weren't dried. Outside of rancidity, you'll eventually end up growing stuff in there that you probably wouldn't want to introduce to your scalp. At least I would think so? I wonder if you could double boiler it for a while to prevent that from happening?

MzSwift

Cytotoxicity of Fenugreek Sprout and Seed Extracts and Their Bioactive Constituents on MCF-7 Breast Cancer Cells​

Kholoud K. Khoja,1 Melanie-Jayne R. Howes,2,3 Robert Hider,3 Paul A. Sharp,1 Iain W. Farrell,2 and Gladys O. Latunde-Dada1,*
Salman M. Hyder, Academic Editor

"However, some studies suggest that germinated fenugreek seeds (i.e., sprouts) have a higher antioxidant content than boiled non-germinated fenugreek seeds [9]. The sprouting of fenugreek seeds is thought to increase the release, or the bioavailability, of bound antioxidants and other bioactive compounds [9].13 févr. 2022"

Well shoot, maybe I WILL consider ingesting some of these sprouts....

Chicoro

Int J Trichology. 2022 May-Jun; 14(3): 84–90.
Published online 2022 May 24. doi: 10.4103/ijt.ijt_189_20
PMCID: PMC9231528
PMID: 35755964

Hair Oils: Indigenous Knowledge Revisited

Venkataram Mysore and Arpita Arghya1
Author information Article notes Copyright and License information PMC Disclaimer

Fenugreek oil​

Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum L) is also known as Greek hay and is known as Bockshornklee in Germany.[28] In India, fenugreek is grown as a cover crop as the plant grows quickly. It is a leguminous herb about 2 feet height.[23] The major producers are Rajasthan, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, and Tamil Nadu.

Chemical composition​

Diosgenin is a steroid sapogenin which is found in fenugreek. Other sapogenins found in yamogenin, gitogenin, tigogenin, and neotigogens. It also contains alkaloids such as trigonelline, gentianine, and carpine compounds.[29]
Effects on hair:

1. Androgenetic alopecia – Fenugreek seeds have received wide publicity in social media as an antiandrogen of plant origin. While the possible mechanism of action is not properly known, diosgenin in fenugreek has been shown to have oestrogenic activity which may lead to inhibition of dihydrotestosterone.[30,31] Flavonoids and Trigonelline cause vasodilation in the scalp.[32] Flavonoids have also been shown to have anti-inflammatory and anti-proliferative effect[31]
  2. Anti-fungal effect – It has fungicidal effect against Trichoderma viride, Aspergillus niger, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus flavus. It also has effect against harmful pathogenic fungi - Fusarium graminearum[33]
  3. Bactericidal activity – The seed extracts are effective against E. coli, S. typhi and S. aureus
  4. Pityriasis sicca – A study done by Verma et al., demonstrated that the 1 ml of fenugreek extract with 3 ml of water (1:4) was found to be effective in declining the Malassezia furfur[34]
  5. Emollient – Fenugreek has lecithin which is a natural emollient and helps in strengthening and moisturization of hair.[35]

Chicoro

If you must, refrigerate the oil. You also probably don't want to keep the oil indefinitely since the sprouts weren't dried. Outside of rancidity, you'll eventually end up growing stuff in there that you probably wouldn't want to introduce to your scalp. At least I would think so? I wonder if you could double boiler it for a while to prevent that from happening?
I'm heavy handed with the oil. I'll probably be done with this first batch in one week. I think it will be alright until then. If I put it in the fridge, I won't use it. I hate cold stuff on my scalp and on my body in general.

Chicoro

Wow, so I know this is an ENDS focused thread but I wanted to follow up with you ladies and also annotate somewhere on here what I'm doing. :supergrin:

So yesterday, I poured the soaking water into a separate jar and put it in the fridge.
Then I copied sista @Chicoro and used a nylon over the jar that contained the seeds and put it under the bathroom sink in the cabinet with the jar laying on its side.
This morning, I had baby sprouts!
So I poured more lukewarm water into the jar and lightly shook it to ensure it was rinsing the baby sprouts well
I poured the water out into and old yogurt tub using a strainer at the top to catch the sprouts.
I put the sprouts back into the jar using a wide mouth funnel. Any strays that fell into the sink, I dropped into the bottom of my scalp condish/oil mix. lol
I re-covered the seeds with the nylon and put them back under the sink with the jar laying on its side again.

Then, is the good part!
I took the drained water and poured it onto my head, focusing on my scalp. Then I lightly scratched my scalp using my nails and applied my herbal scalp tonic (nettle root, burdock root, horsetail leaves and hibiscus petals infused in EVOO + peppermint, lavender EOs). Then I liberally applied my Ayurvedic hair oil and slathered on a cheapie moisturizing condish. I massaged it all in and then squeezed out as much excess water/product as I could and loosely bunned. Covered my head with my mens satin cap and a bandana. My scalp is feeling lovely!

When I rinse the sprouts again in 8-12 hrs, I plan to pour that onto my head again but I'll cover with a thicker moisturizing condish, maybe even a DC and just leave that in to "wash" out tmrrw with my Ayurvedic cleanser (shikakai, neem, condish and Castile soap + peppermint and lemon EOs)

I think I'm gonna boil a tea using clove buds and nettle leaves and then mix that with the Fenugreek soaking water. That water is super yellow and cloudy so there's no way there's no goodness in it! And then that tea will be mixed 50/50 with my usual Ayurvedic tea (Hibiscus, Brahmi and Bhringraj) in a spray bottle for my daily spray.
THIS IS related to Luscious Healthy Ends!

Are you going to use your sprouts to make a hair oil? Or, are you going to focus on the sprouts soaking water to use for your hair? Or, am I jumping the gun and need to wait until your sprouts are finished germinating - because THEN that's when you plan to use the sprouts for the hair oil?

So far, this thread and prior threads under this same Luscious Healty Ends Challenge title, have spawned or perpetuated our interest in and use of:

• Queen Shea butter
  • Clay washing
  • Micro trimming and now...
  • Sprouted fenugreek seeds
None of these are contradictory, meaning that you don't necessarily have to to use to use on over the other. One can implement the use of all four (4) in an already, established hair routine. In my opinon, all four (4) have proven or, are proving to be beneficial to luscious, healthy ends.

I think the discussion and conversations related to fenugreek and so many other things in this thread keep this topic alive and interesting and useful.

Last edited:

snoop

Yesterday, I started the herbal infusion that I've been procrastinating over. It has fenugreek seeds and leaves, but I'd never sprouted them. I wasn't going to, but I'm like why not, so the night before last I rinsed two cups of fenugreek leaves and left them in water to soak overnight. Yesterday morning, I wrapped them in a paper towel and put them in a glass bowl and covered them with a plastic lid. I set the bowl near to my heating vent. They've started sprouting! This morning, I'll rinse them again and wrap them again and leave them overnight.

After they've sprouted, I'll either dry them out over the stove or on low heat in the oven then add them to the oil infusion that I've started.

For the oil infusion, what I think I might do is dump out my two jars worth into a bowl and double boiler it for a day (low heat), then I'll re-jar it. This way, I can start using it sooner.

I have a question about one of the steps: Why do we rinse the sprouts on day 2, after they start sprouting?

snoop

I'm heavy handed with the oil. I'll probably be done with this first batch in one week. I think it will be alright until then. If I put it in the fridge, I won't use it. I hate cold stuff on my scalp and on my body in general.

I'm heavy handed two. I'm using 1L jars to infuse my oils, so when you said that you'd be done in a week I laughed to myself thinking that's a LOT of oil...then I remembered that smaller jars do exist.

snoop

Well shoot, maybe I WILL consider ingesting some of these sprouts....

I watched this YT short the other day and I've been second guessing eating them. One of the commenters talked about how it messed up her period.

There was a lady I used to watch YEARS ago who spoke about sprouted fenugreek and had a couple of cautions as well. She took them too, but I believe identified some things to consider before doing so. I can't remember what she said. :nono: I'll see if I can find her videos.