March 2017: Hits & Misses

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Hit: DIY Detangling Prepoo.

I have a pound each of marshmallow root and slippery elm to use up, so I decided to make up a prepoo with them. I made a tea with the herbs, added xanthan and guar gum to thicken, then blended in avocado oil (another thing I'm using up). The mix has the slippery, sliminess that detangles without the drippiness of the tea alone. Super Hit.
Can you share the ratios? TIA

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Can you share the ratios? TIA

I simmered 1 heaping tablespoon of marshmallow root and 1 level tablespoon of powdered slippery elm in 2.5 cups of water, covered, for about 10 minutes. I poured a cup of the strained tea into a jar, then poured the remaining tea into an ice cube tray to freeze for later.

When the tea in the jar cooled, I inserted my stick blender and turned it on low. As it mixed, I incorporated 1/2 teaspoon each of xanthan gum and guar gum. I kept blending on low until the mixture thickened to my liking (around 5 minutes). * Its better for the mix to be a little thicker than you'd like, since adding oil will thin it. If you're going to add more water, xanthan or guar gum, do it before you add the oil. The gums don't thicken as well once the oil is in the mix.

Last I added avocado oil, and blended until fully incorporated. I eyeballed the avocado oil, but I would guess I used 1/2 a cup.

The texture of the finished product is slimy, yet thick. Almost like a very soft set custard. I scooped mine out of the jar, but it would be less messy to apply if in a disc cap bottle. I try to make just before using, but you can refrigerate it. My mix held up well, didn't separate or thicken when I refrigerated it overnight.

Last edited:

lindseyerinc

Major hit
NJoys customer service! I ordered oil yesterday to use on my scalp while I'm in my weave and today she posted a 15% off sale and a free pomade. I messaged her and asked if the promotion could be applied to my order, and she said no problem! I love good customer service.

Aggie

I simmered 1 heaping tablespoon of marshmallow root and 1 level tablespoon of powdered slippery elm in 2.5 cups of water, covered, for about 10 minutes. I poured a cup of the strained tea into a jar, then poured the remaining tea into an ice cube tray to freeze for later.

When the tea in the jar cooled, I inserted my stick blender and turned it on low. As it mixed, I incorporated 1/2 teaspoon each of xanthan gum and guar gum. I kept blending on low until the mixture thickened to my liking (around 5 minutes). * Its better for the mix to be a little thicker than you'd like, since adding oil will thin it. If you're going to add more water, xanthan or guar gum, do it before you add the oil. The gums don't thicken as well once the oil is in the mix.

Last I added avocado oil, and blended until fully incorporated. I eyeballed the avocado oil, but I would guess I used 1/2 a cup.

The texture of the finished product is slimy, yet thick. Almost like a very soft set custard. I scooped mine out of the jar, but it would be less messy to apply if in a disc cap bottle. I try to make just before using, but you can refrigerate it. My mix held up well, didn't separate or thicken when I refrigerated it overnight.

This sound so good @Nightingale. Now I need some thickeners.

Last edited:

Alma Petra

Hits:
Olaplex. Definitely put texture back into my relaxed strands, especially the overprocessed parts.

Really? So your hair was bone straight before olaplex and now it has some texture? I'd do anything to put some texture back into the relaxed midsection of my hair.

Which of the olaplex products did you use and how did you apply them?

secretdiamond

Really? So your hair was bone straight before olaplex and now it has some texture? I'd do anything to put some texture back into the relaxed midsection of my hair.

Which of the olaplex products did you use and how did you apply them?

Yes, girl! It's like it went back in time and undid the extra processing from my last relaxer where I overprocessed some parts. Even my edges reverted some. After I blowdried, my hair was drier than usual though. But thicker! Held curls better. Fluffier.

I used 1 & 2 last week. I also noticed a difference when I wet my hair today to wash. Hair was softer, thicker when wet and held on to the water better.
I added too much water last week to # 1, so I had extra and have that in my hair now. About to add # 2. I plan on doing #2 alone every week or two moving forward.

Eta: doing a DC with a moisturizing conditioner may help the dryness.

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Hits for BabyJ.

Sheamoisture
  • Jamaican black castor oil leave in conditioner. Softening and smoothing for his curls. Defined his hair too.
Sprouted Curlies
  • Cleansing Conditioner. Gentle on his hair and cleaned it well. Slightly moisturizing
  • Moisture Rich Conditioner. Moisturizing and softening. Not too heavy for his hair at all
Shescentit
  • Cranberry Cocktail. Oober moisturizing for him. Plump and shiny curls.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
@Sharpened @Nightingale ive been trying to figure out the right ratios for marshmallow and slippery elm. I can never seem to get them "right"
What do you mean, like no slip? Marshmallow root can take up to 30 minutes to release its mucilage, depending on how old the root pieces are. You can double the amount of root and thin it out. Are you adding the slippery elm right after straining?

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
New Hits:
Claudie's Pre Shampoo Hair Treatment. I left this in for about two hours. This is a great cream/wet pre-poo rx. Especially, for when you don't have overnight for an EVCO based rx to penetrate your strands etc.

JC DCT. I used this to DC following a henna rx. Baby! Why haven't I used this before? It's been sitting in my stash all neglected and unsed forever.

Both are definite repurchases, :yep:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
What do you mean, like no slip? Marshmallow root can take up to 30 minutes to release its mucilage, depending on how old the root pieces are. You can double the amount of root and thin it out. Are you adding the slippery elm right after straining?

No. I get slip but it's always too much slip. I know that seems :rolleyes: but when I'm mixing stuff, what would be good alone becomes overpowered by the amount of slip. And when I used slippery elm, it thickens over time.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
New Hits:
Claudie's Pre Shampoo Hair Treatment. I left this in for about two hours. This is a great cream/wet pre-poo rx. Especially, for when you don't have overnight for an EVCO based rx to penetrate your strands etc.

JC DCT. I used this to DC following a henna rx. Baby! Why haven't I used this before? It's been sitting in my stash all neglected and unsed forever.

Both are definite repurchases, :yep:

What is JC DCT? TIA!

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
No. I get slip but it's always too much slip. I know that seems :rolleyes: but when I'm mixing stuff, what would be good alone becomes overpowered by the amount of slip. And when I used slippery elm, it thickens over time.
How long are you letting it boil? Do you test the viscosity before pulling it off the heat? I wonder if simmering at a lower temp would help.

When mixing marshmallow and slippery elm, I prefer to use a lot less of the slippery elm because of its potency, like 3-to-1. The gums in her mix should help emulsify any additional oils.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
How long are you letting it boil? Do you test the viscosity before pulling it off the heat? I wonder if simmering at a lower temp would help.

When mixing marshmallow and slippery elm, I prefer to use a lot less of the slippery elm because of its potency, like 3-to-1. The gums in her mix should help emulsify any additional oils.

I think my ratios might be off. I don't let it boil. Just get it hot enough, remove from heat and let it sit. The sitting part might be the key. It makes it really thick.