Maximum Length

I wonder if we have a maximum length our hair will grow. I look at all the women in my family who are atleast 3/4 black and thier never gets past bra strap length (relaxer or natural). I have one cousin who's hair is almost at her waist, but she is bi-racial with 3bc hair. Do we have a predestined length our hair will grow? Any members on the board with 4a/b hair that is way past bra strap lenght? Any pics?

londongirl3

IMO, their is a maximum length that hair can grow to. You should atleast get to brastrap with a growth rate of 6 inches a year. However I honestly think 6 inches a year is an underestimate. It's like saying the average woman is 5ft 6 inches but there are loads of women below that and many women going past 6ft.

So ofcourse there are women who will grow their hair to bra strap and wayyyy past bra-strap. Some of these women will be in the 3 group but the growth of their hair is nonetheless commendable.

1. Den 1
2. Stephanie Suthers of hairobics
3. Sherry love
4. Leejure
5. Adrienne
6. Zanna
7. I think Peachtree as well
8. Allandra
9. Possibly Nay 007

And this woman from wanakee's site. (Thanx Ngaa)
Her name is Pier Bolton

EbonyEyes

I believe there is a maximum length at least partiallly determined by genetics just like there is a growth rate determined partially by genetics. There is one woman on this board with natural 4A/4B hair that is almost at her waist when her hair is stretched: http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/deniselhaynes/
There are a few others but I can't think of their names.

There are other factors that determines length including how well you take care of your hair and it's strength. Since 4A/4B is more fragile than 1-3ABC, it is more difficult to retain length. If a person with 4A/4B can grow their hair to waist length, they have to give their hair more TLC than someone with type 1 to make sure that it gets to that length.

However, I don't think hair type has any bearing on the maximum length your hair can possibly grow.

-Ebony

Karonica

Hi organicevolution.

I just don't believe that there is a maximum length that 3/4 hair can only reach. If you were to cut the hair really short, chances are, the hair would grow back. Why? Because hair grows. Not because the hair knew that you cut it, and therefore decided to grow back. That's also another reason why I think people are misled to believe that their hair grows faster when they cut it.

Hair is dead. It's going to grow, regardless. It's just a matter of how we take care of the length that's already there.

pebbles

There are so many that it's hard to remember, but definately Valleygirl and Jade21. Both have waist length hair. And yes, genetically there is a maximum length each person can achieve, but I also believe that a minimum of 12 inches of hair is possible for most woman.

Edited to add: How could I forget Miss Superhair herself; Supergirl!!

londongirl3

[ QUOTE ]
There are so many that it's hard to remember, but definately Valleygirl and Jade21. Both have waist length hair. And yes, genetically there is a maximum length each person can achieve, but I also believe that a minimum of 12 inches of hair is possible for most woman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that my hair was the shortest in my house and I am actually shocked that I have a growth rate in excess of the average.

12 inches is a conservative estimate, but it is a safe estimate. I'd think probably 18 inches is very possible.

Isn't it wonderful that the number of women with long hair are so many!!!!!!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I asked a question similar to this a while ago...

[ QUOTE ]
How do you figure out how long your growth cycle is?

I went back to the bookstore and purchased Hair Rules by Anthony Dickey. There's a Q&A with a dermatologist and she says on page 135 (I'm paraphrasing):

"Proper diet and care will permit a woman to grow her hair longer. But genetics determine whether "longer" is to the shoulders or to the waistline."

My natural hair was a little past my shoulders when I was a child. When it was pressed it reached my armpits. But I want my hair to be longer than this... I always thought that with proper care, it was possible to grow your hair to your ankles if you wanted to.

She also says the longer your growth cycle, the longer your hair can become.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this predetermined length talk...
I want longer hair than when I was a kid...

Trinity1

Well that could be a little discouraging but it can also be encouraging if you look at some of the people in your family and how their hair grows. If hair growth is predetermined than hopefully I will have hair down to my waist like my half indian/black great grandmother and my grandmother .My mother had long hair but not to her waist,hers was to the middle of her back. Long hair does seem to run in my family thank goodness
My hair appears to have grown 1 inch in 4 weeks because I went from having about 4 inches to bra strap to about 3 inches ( I measured last night). I wont be able to tell until my touch up in 2 weeks how many inches I really have. Anyway both of my sisters have had hair to the middle of their backs but they now keep their hair cut at shoulder length,according to them long hair is too much work. I guess with all that being said if the statement is true about hair being predetermined than I should be able to get at the very least bra strap length hair which is alright with me

leejure

[ QUOTE ]
I truly believe everyone has a predetermined length....

SherryLove

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't. But I do believe that everyone's hair phase is predetermined (how long someone is the growing phase, or shedding phase, etc). But with care, I believe anyone can grow their hair past bra-strap. It just may take longer.

-lee

azul11

Its hard to look at genetics because as we all know in certain communities hair care is not a top priority and many people dont take care of their hair at all. So if all the females in your family have short hair but they didnt do the things that would help it grow long and healthy then how are you to determine just be looking at your genetics or family members whether or not you're hair is destined to remain at shoulder length or for you to be tripping over it? God bless you all.

Valerie

[ QUOTE ]
Well that could be a little discouraging but it can also be encouraging if you look at some of the people in your family and how their hair grows. If hair growth is predetermined than hopefully I will have hair down to my waist like my half indian/black great grandmother and my grandmother .My mother had long hair but not to her waist,hers was to the middle of her back. Long hair does seem to run in my family thank goodness
My hair appears to have grown 1 inch in 4 weeks because I went from having about 4 inches to bra strap to about 3 inches ( I measured last night). I wont be able to tell until my touch up in 2 weeks how many inches I really have. Anyway both of my sisters have had hair to the middle of their backs but they now keep their hair cut at shoulder length,according to them long hair is too much work. I guess with all that being said if the statement is true about hair being predetermined than I should be able to get at the very least bra strap length hair which is alright with me

[/ QUOTE ]

Tee Tee was your mother's hair more wavy, than straight, compared to your grandmother because it is was wavy, or very curly, the length would obviously be shorter, but if her hair was straightened, it would be longer.

With Afro texturised hair, you have to remember to add at least an extra four inches. Hair which is chin length, straightened out it would touching the shoulders. So people can grow their hair faster than others, but a lot environmental and genetic factors come into play, the climate, the water, the health of the person, their stress levels, also the texture, if the hair is curly, kinky or straight. On this board, a lot of us take vitamin supplements, exercise, eat more greens etc. What would have been 'genetic pre-determined', we have overcome that problem, things now are mind over matter, if you really want waist length hair, okay you may not be able to get it on your own, but with help of your diet, your vitamins, and your determination, it may take longer, but because you are focussing on it, you will achieve it. Kinky hair is very funny, it will seem chin length for years, but once it is pressed, it is almost bra-strap length and even if afro hair is stretched to bra-strap length, it is near waist length or beyond. For many of us, people with long hair, particularly those were multi-ethnic, they have a looser curl pattern, hence their hair was already stretched out. My hair is extremely tightly coiled, one time, I had a tight coiled hair at the side of my face, when I stretched it, it was passed my earlobe and to look at it, it looked so short. I have very spongy hair, which has the ability to look like a short hair cut. I really think we have realised that there are some genes which are fixed, such as sex, skin colour, hair texture, colour of eyes, but weight, hair growth, hair length, even thickness, are all variables and we can overcome them, many of us who have fine hair, we were borm with fine hair, use Pantothenic acid and we find our hair is getting thicker. We can overcome any obstacles and we must just focus on growing our hair long and get as much help as possible to help us achieve our goals. Genes really don't come into play anymore now.

uniquev11

I was going to say that hair length is predetermined, but after reading Leejure's post, I am not sure if it is the hair length or the hair phase, but at least one of them is determined by genetics.
Even if hair length is predetermined, it doesn't have anything to do with hair texture.

Someone with type 1 hair could have a maximum hair length of bra-strap length and someone with type 4B hair could have a maximum hair length of tailbone length, but the person with type 1 hair will acheive bra-strap because their hair is less prone to dryness and breakage.
The person with 4B hair may have a harder time getting there because of dryness and poor hair care maintenance, and may never realize how long their hair could really be (unless she frequents this board!)

I wish there was a way to tell how long my hair can get, but I am going to assume that it can get to waistlength until I learn differently.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
I do believe that everyone's hair phase is predetermined (how long someone is the growing phase, or shedding phase, etc). But with care, I believe anyone can grow their hair past bra-strap. It just may take longer.
-lee

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...

My mom and I were both pretty rough on my hair. Her with the hot comb (sometimes daily in really humid weather!
) and me with the curling irons and blow dryers...

Hopefully, I can exceed my childhood length. It might take me longer than all of you "Speedy Gonzalez" gals
, but I'll get there!

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]

Edited to add: How could I forget Miss Superhair herself; Supergirl!!

[/ QUOTE ]

JRW too

Brownie

[ QUOTE ]
Its hard to look at genetics because as we all know in certain communities hair care is not a top priority and many people dont take care of their hair at all. So if all the females in your family have short hair but they didnt do the things that would help it grow long and healthy then how are you to determine just be looking at your genetics or family members whether or not you're hair is destined to remain at shoulder length or for you to be tripping over it? God bless you all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and just because your mother and aunts don't have long hair, that doesn't mean you can't achieve it because some of your genes might have reached back to your grand parents, or great grand parents. The make up of the human body is mind blowing. For example, everyone has someone in the family who doesn't look like anyone
. Who knows? They might've taken more genes from relatives a long time ago. It's hard to tell. As for me, I'm not putting limits on myself. I believe my hair can get to waist length if I want it to because at one time I thought it was predestined to be one length (because it had been that length all my life), but now, less than a year later, my hair's longer than it's ever been. If your growth is hindered by dry hair and breakage, give it moisture/water. If it grows slowly, give it vitamins and good food. I think with patience, effort and tender loving haircare, we can all reach our goals

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
So ofcourse there are women who will grow their hair to bra strap and wayyyy past bra-strap. Some of these women will be in the 3 group but the growth of their hair is nonetheless commendable.

1. Den 1
2. Stephanie Suthers of hairobics
3. Sherry love
4. Leejure
5. Adrienne
6. Zanna
7. I think Peachtree as well
8. Allandra
9. Possibly Nay 007

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, I'd like to add Gldspoon to the list as well. She has already passed her brastrap goal and is now on to her waistlength goal. She's a 4a and here's her photos. She's also one of my inspirations...
Gldspoon's Photo Album

I am thinking that I will only get bra strap length hair when streched out. I am only looking at family members with 4a/b and that is the longest I have seen them with. I don't count my grand parents because they are racially mixed and have a different hairtype than me. Personally I am cool with bra strap length hair. I wan't to have longer hair, but I don't want to go into Alanis Morissette territory.

KinksnCurlz

While I use to believe that length is predetermined (meaning genes), I now believe that is just not so. Long hair runs in my family, yet I have never reached bra strap length (could be because I cut it every year but than again, maybe not...). My younger sister's hair is bra strap, my older sister's hair is about 1"-2" shorter than bra strap, my mom's is bra strap, my cousin's is waist length, my aunt's is shoulder length, my other aunt's is natural and ultra curly so I have no idea how long it is, etc. etc. I think hair growth is determined by how YOU treat your hair and your overall health. If you are eating foods rich in protein and B vitamins AND take care of your locks by deep conditioning, protein treatments when needed, 2xs weekly washings (or CO wash), etc. etc. than you should be able to attain the length that you desire.
Also of note, I know 3 girls whose hair is at least bra strap length while their family's hair has never reached shoulder length. So it can be done, regardless of genes.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Re: the Pantene site--
Are they saying the man's hair will never pass his collar or just that it will take him longer than the woman to grow long hair?

pebbles

Yes. His hair only grows to his collar before naturally shedding on it's own. Notice how they both started with the same length, and see the difference between the two.

ms jadu

I think they are saying that hair length is determined on how long the anagen phase is(which is typically shorter in males).

soslychic

[ QUOTE ]
Hi organicevolution.

I just don't believe that there is a maximum length that 3/4 hair can only reach. If you were to cut the hair really short, chances are, the hair would grow back. Why? Because hair grows. Not because the hair knew that you cut it, and therefore decided to grow back. That's also another reason why I think people are misled to believe that their hair grows faster when they cut it.

Hair is dead. It's going to grow, regardless. It's just a matter of how we take care of the length that's already there.

[/ QUOTE ]
So simple...yet so brilliant. I'd never even thought of it like that before

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Well,

Think about this--if it is true that we have a pre-determined growth phase, then it is probably possible for black women to grow their hair 50-100% (or even more!) than they have before.

The key is to maximize the amount of hair that you hold on to during your growth phase.

It's like, if you have a 4 year growth cycle but you're using things that damage your hair (heat) and going to an SHS, then your 4 years will pretty much net you very little.

But the same woman with the 4 year growth cycle, wearing protective styles, using minimal to no heat and avoiding SHS's will definitely see the fruits of her 4 years.

I definitely don't think that black women have shorter growth cycles than any other race.

Integrity

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. His hair only grows to his collar before naturally shedding on it's own. Notice how they both started with the same length, and see the difference between the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

were the differences due to gender or just the individuals? how do we know if the chose a different man his hair wouldnt have been down his back too...

pebbles

The differences are due more to the individual because we know there are men who have longer hair than a lot of women. I know a couple!
But it has been reported that in general, men tend to have shorter growth cycles than women, but again, that's not true of all men. This is where genetics comes in to play.