Maximum Length

Integrity

i have a fear that MY max length will be well above shoulder

pebbles

I doubt that Pandora. I really believe that most women can, at least, have 12 inches of hair from scalp to ends. Make sure you take care of those ends, and you will see it grow more than you thought possible. I know I've seen my hair longer than it ever was in my entire life.

londongirl3

[ QUOTE ]
i have a fear that MY max length will be well above shoulder

[/ QUOTE ]

You will have to get less than 2 inches a year for that, or a spectacularly long neck.

Rosalinde

I sure hope that hair length is not predetermined because most of the women in my family ( mother's side ) have the short hair syndrome with thinning sides. I don; t go around my dad's family much so I have no idea what type of hair they have. I had one cousin who had beautiful hair doing young adult hood but has got older her hair begin to thin out and at the age of forty she is on rogine My aunt said that's hereditary in our family thinning hair has we get older.

I do have thin hair on the sides but the rest of my hair is full and healthy.
Currently my hair is at the nape of my neck and I have had shoulder length hair in the past
I am trying and hoping that my hair can at least reach my bra strap. I would be overjoyed with that hair length

G

I agree, there is a max. Otherwise with the care we take here and what wev'e learned we ALL should be Butt Lenght or more.

But that just is not the case.

I agree with Pebbles though, 12 inches s/b attainable by everyone.

I saw a lot of numbers but whats the actual stats? Like How many members in the forum, 1,000? out of that Less than 25 are Bra Strap Plus?

Brownie

[ QUOTE ]

I agree with Pebbles though, 12 inches s/b attainable by everyone. I saw a lot of numbers but whats the actual stats? Like How many members in the forum, 1,000? out of that Less than 25 are Bra Strap Plus?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bra strap plus and even bra strap length hair is good. Even if your hair didn't get longer than that---that would be an improvement. How many women of color do you see every day with bra stap length and longer hair? I think we shouldn't set limits on ourselves. I'm planning on my hair getting longer and longer. If I don't get to my goal in 2-3 years, then I might believe in limits, but so far, I have surpassed my "limit," so I'm anticipating the future.

sweetie25

I have had my hair to and past my bra strap as a child and now it takes a good year and a half to grow it back when I cut it often. But now I am dedicated to growing my hair and leaving the scissors out.
To add on to what you ladies are saying I am the only woman in my family on my mother's side with fine, longer hair. I am the only one that can grow my hair out on her side but on my father's side my aunts have fine long hair. I have also seem pictures of my mom's aunts with hair past their waist so I think its on you and how you take care of your hair. Just my opinion.

Trinity1

I took that test Katrine and it says that my growth potential is 27 inches which is alright with me

Tee Tee

Armyqt

Very interesting topic ladies. You all make very, very excellent points. I believe that our growth is predetermined by genetics. But I do agree with everyone that genetically, our chances are great of acheiving btwn bra-strap and waist length hair. The key for us is to retain the growth we get each month.

Thanks for the link Katrine. According to the calculator, my Max Growth Potential is 52.1 in. We'll see

azul11

I also agree its up to you. And one thing I wonder is how many people actually believe their hair will get to at least bra strap. I think that is the most important question. I like the person who's poster name is dontspeakdefeat. i think that should be something that we all should listen to. many people seem ready to throw in the towel when they see their family members who may not have long flowing hair and really believe well it is not meant to be. what i wonder is do people of color walk around believing that long hair is something only white people will have and something that only good genes and being mixed will help them acheive. i mean not all white people come from the same family but it is not unbelievable for them to have hair to their butts but women of color always believe it just wont happen for them.

i stated before you cannot always look at your family to determine if your hair will be long. if your grandmother was the hotcomb queen and everytime she saw a kink she whipped it out and blowdried and fried her hair and believed grease is the word then obviously that could explain why her hair never was long. and if she passed this along to all her children no wonder your aunt and mother dont have long hair. if they ran from water like it was the devil no wonder it never was long. there was this segment on tv about the affects of what you do now has on you later in life. there was discussion about how some people have traits of certain diseases in their family. well the doctors said taking care of yourself now will help ward off chances of developing the disease as you get older. now i remember the show it was called the ten myths about cancer. they said what young people do now will affect them as they get older even though they seem to think it isnt something they have to worry about till they are older. what that means is that even though your family has traits for certain diseases how you treat your body will affect whether or not you get it also. so if your family is known for thin hair there are ways to thicken it up. you dont have to sit back and say oh well i am just going to have thin hair. someone also mentioned that b5 helps. vitamins help. dont look at your family and just say well they didnt succeed so it must mean i cant either. grandma didnt have this site or the resources to help her. imagine if she did.

also i walk around every day and see that a growing trend is long beautiful hair on women of color. and it is their real hair not a weave. i was amazed at how many ladies i saw. not amazed like i was looking at a rare creature but amazed that a lot of people dont realize how possible it is. a lot of ladies out there are into caring for their hair and it shows. i think the main people who doubt that people of color can grow long hair are people of color. they seem to think that their is no way her hair can naturally be long unless she has "good hair" or indian in her family or mixed. and let a girl of color walk down the street with hair down her back. first thought people has is it is a weave. now let a white woman walk down the street with the same length and the assumption is that it is her hair. with women of color there always has to be some reason her hair is long and some never include care in that reasoning. it always has to be lineage. i just think that is sad. look at how far some of you have come. with basic care. how you now have people coming to you for hair advice. how your family members who's hair was damaged looking and never grew look at your hair and are now asking to use your shampoo and conditioner. yeah they may laugh when you say how many vitamins you take but when you reach your goals dont be surprised at how quick they are to pop those pills.

how many people realized that daily washing wasnt just a white thing but a thing that anyone could do as long as your hair was healthy. and look at the results you got. dont assume that people of other color dont have hair dramas. go to any other hair board and you will see them trying to grow their hair and to make it healthy. its not just something that only certain people can acheive and if your parents didnt then you cant. a lot of people here have surpassed many of their family members in length and have dispelled the myth that their family didnt have that "growing hair".

is there a max there probably is but we now know ways in which to surpass it. just because your hair was short all your life doesnt mean bra strap will never happen to you. people who added msm didnt think their texture would improve or the shedding would stop or they would retain what they have or that they could set new goals for themselves but they did. i think we should all just keep thinking positive. i believe that we can all acheive any length we want. we have the knowledge to do so. it may not happen naturally but we know that there are ways to do it.
God bless you all.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
pebbles said: There are so many that it's hard to remember, but definately Valleygirl and Jade21. Both have waist length hair. And yes, genetically there is a maximum length each person can achieve, but I also believe that a minimum of 12 inches of hair is possible for most woman.

Edited to add: How could I forget Miss Superhair herself; Supergirl!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Jade's hair is much longer than waist length hair. Jade's hair is butt-length (check out her signature). I always tease her that her hair is just as long as my height (since I'm 5'1" and she's about 5'10").

cutebajangirl

Right on Azul!!
The link said mine was 62.5 inches

But seriously to second what Azul said, if you wanna attain bra strap length worry more about the "genetics" in hair care methods that you inherited not the genetics that affect growth cycle etc. When I was younger I was one of those bald headed kids that with like 2 hairs coming out of the ponytail. I started getting relaxers when I was 5
and did not know how to take of them. My mom slept in hard rollers and I could not and during the course of the night would take them out unknowningly and get yelled at in the morning when my hair was a dried out mess. My mom was the heavy grease queen, even though her hair is probably 2a and she has NEVER had hair that reached her shoulders furthermore pass it, because of the things that I mentioned and then some. Once I got older and went away to boarding school at 13 and was introduced to older black girls who wore braids and taught me all kinds of wonderful things about makeup, hair etc after the 10month school year I came home with hair past my shoulders, something I never thought could have happened. Since then up until recently my hair was always 1 or 2 inches past my shoulders until I stopped getting trims every 5 or 6 weeks with my relaxers. Now my hair is 2 inches from brastrap and is WILL continue to head down my back. My mom still believes that I have that "weave on ting" but I won't let her comb it to show her that it is not because she combs to rough. Yet another thing that will keep your hair short. So instead of relaxers every 5-6 weeks in the summers I get them every8 weeks (and thinking of ways to draw that out even longer) and from late October to Late March I wear weaves/braids to protect my hair from the harsh winter weather.

uniquev11

I am not sure how many hairs I lose a day, but I put in 30 and my growth potential is 52.1 according to the calculator.

The one thing I noticed is that there is no entry for hair texture which is further proof that hair texture does not affect growth POTENTIAL, although it may affect the difficulty of retaining growth.

Kengne

<font color="blue">There isn't a maximum length per se but there IS a maximum hair life length. During the longest phase of a hair follicle's life (anagen) it can grow &amp; remain on a person's head anywhere from 6-10 years, before shedding. Approx 80% of hair follicles on ur head are (independently) in Anagen. By independent I mean that each follicle's cycle is independent of the next follicle's cycle.

What makes the difference as to how long ur hair gets is hair care &amp; hair type. In some ways a 1a and 4a could have the same anagen length e.g. 6 years. That's 6 years to grow as much hair as u can. But a 1a and 4a will differ in terms of factors likely to cause breakage, hair maintenace etc...all factors which contribute to hair length retention (or lack thereof).

Organicevolution..all u need to worry about is maximizing your hair retention. If your anagen phase is longer/shorter than the avg 6-10 years..well make sure to pack in as many inches as you can before they start shedding!
Lol..tek care.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Okay,

It said mine was 84.7 inches. It seemed like one of the key numbers was how much hair you lose each day. This is where gentle combing and protective styling come in. You can actually reduce the number of hairs you lose daily. I have. Mine used to shed alot, so much so, that people would notice my shedding just by looking at the back of my blouse.

Product Push Alert: Everyday, before I style my hair into a bun or whatever, I put some Profectiv Break-Free on it.

Pebbles, on that 18 inches, remember that the longest part of your hair will be 18 inches from the nape of your neck and that's pretty daggety-doggone long!
In fact, 18 inches from the nape of my neck hits me at the waist and I'm 5'8" . Okay-- Just didn't want you to feel short-changed.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Oh And,

I posted this once before, but Cathy Howse, Wanakee(and that lady on her site), Hair Lady (Robin), Carolyn Grey, and Stephanie Suthers have proven that we can grow some hair!

pebbles

LOL, Thanks Superhair! Oops, I mean Supergirl!
Girl, I've never had that much hair on my head, so if I can get 18 inches, I'd be beside myself with joy!!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Sorry y'all,

My soapbox has popped up under me! THIS IS WHY you have to stay away from SHS's! Because if you have a 3 year hair growth/life cycle and she's trimming away half the hair that you get in that life cycle then... UGH!

Y'all get it right? Okay, I'm done. I promise. For now...

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I did the calculator and it said my potential is 27 inches.
I truly do not believe in setting limitations on any goal that I want to achieve. I just work hard at it and don't let anyone or anything get in my way. You all should remember this is science which is something that man has created, God has created us and we can't let science put any type of limitations on something we truly believe in. Overall I am trying to say faith and determination definitely outweights science. MIND OVER MATTER!!

Lucia

Ok, I think this thing might be off, but I guess under ideal circumstances and me doing my best to grow and keep hair it seems plausible.
It depends on how much you lose per day so I entered
best case= 25 hairs lost/day = 65.0" max (that's 5'5" I'm 5'9" almost to the floor)
and worst= =100 hairs lost/day = 10.1" max (passed that while I still was frying and dyeing my hair in ignorant hair hell.
I also put in a less than (0.50") my actual growth (0.75-1.25") to count as trimms, or breakage.

elite_chiq

[ QUOTE ]
i t told me mine was 1.2 inches. did i do something wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine says 0.1...can someone help me out?