MBL Challenge 2011

SingBrina

Man my hair isn't doing so well, starting to have breakage, I think its because I need a trim.... but either way I need to put my hair back up in a wet bun, this breakage is depressing. Can't wait to get extensions so I don't have to worry... thats if I can afford extensions, idk...

MissMed07

Hey ladies!

I recently joined the BSL challenge, but after taking my pictures I realized that I'm pretty close to BSL if not already there, so I decided to join the MBL challenge, so that when I get to MBL, after my trim and layered cut I will be full BSL.

Regimen:
-Wash Hair Bi-Weekly with moisture rich shampoo (Dove Hyrdating Shampoo and Creme of Nature)
-Protective Styles for two months at a time (e.g. braids and sew ins) keeping hair moisturized and conditioned underneath
-Removing styles every two months for deep conditioning, dusting my ends and length checks
-Exercise 3-4 times a week/ taking hair vitamins (Nioxin or Aphogee) and drinking 64 ounces of water daily
-I hope to reach my goal by July 2011

Here is a photo of hair as of 8/30/2010...I will be posting length check pictures again during November.

lilsparkle825

^^^i think you will be MBL wayyyy sooner than that, but welcome!

guys, i don't know what kind of crazy voodoo magic is going on, but somehow i got a crazy growth spurt and picked up three inches in the last 3 months. i went from just grazing APL to touching BSL. this means that since i didn't see myself getting to BSL till december and MBL till june, i just may get there a little sooner....

lilsparkle825

^^^i swear i don't have one....if i did, best believe i'd be selling it :lachen:

if anything, i'm betting it has something to do with the constant cowashing and wet bunning. i had a setback in june, where i went from BSB to just barely grazing APL. after that i immediately went into protective styling. i did a sew-in for a month, took a two-week break and just wore WNGs, then started wet bunning. i've been doing that for the past 6 weeks or so. my ends are almost ALWAYS wet, which helps with the retention. as for the abnormal growth....beats me!

Aireen

Hey everyone! :D I realized I haven't posted but that's because I haven't been doing anything different lately but regardless I'll still give a brief update. I've been shampooing and conditioning my hair every 7-10 days, no set conditioner since I'm using up my mini stash and doing a lot of mixing but it's all been working out well. I'm thinking of buying some natural moisturizing conditioners soon. I've also been taking my vitamins regularly and even though I haven't seen any increase in hair growth, I will continue since sometimes it takes a few months to kick in and to me my new growth appears to be healthy so that's a plus. Next update will probably be in the late fall/early winter when I relax with pictures included. HHG everyone! :grin:

Chelle510

Ok I'm in. I have pondered over introducing myself and participating in a challenge. I am like the vast majority of others that have been lurking waiting for the right time. I'm overjoyed to say hi to all of the beautiful women on this forum. My current hair length is approx 2.5 inches from BSL my ultimate goal is HL. I mainly PS in wigs with braids underneath. I cowash 2-3 times a week DC twice a week and shampoo once every two weeks when I take my braids down. Then, I airdry 100% and get rebraided. My goal date for MBL is Aug 2011. I will post pictures soon. I'm so EXCITED!!! Let's grow ladies let's grow ( clap clap clap )

bludaydreamr

7 inches???? Where??? You look much closer than that!
It's total 7 inches I need 2 to get to BSB/BSL an additional 5 inches once I get to MBL but I figure if I trim I don't know I will make it by the end of the year. If I could retain my ends then I just might get there. ummm...If the challenge is still open in a few weeks when I take my braids down then I may update and join!

Last edited:

Teddy B

:imsorry: it took me so long for the info but here we go>

Regimen:

(1)Co-wash 2-3 times a week.
(2) Shampoo and DC every 1-2 weeks or when there is considerate buildup.
(3) Apply JBCO to scalp 2-3 times a week.
(4) Moisturize hair with Suave Coconut or HE conditioner when wet bunning, Africa's Best Organic Olive Oil. Dry hair & scalp therapy or Suave Coconut for braid outs.
(5) Seal hair shaft and ends with coconut oil, EVOO, JBCO or a mixture
(6) Wetbunning 95% and occasional braidouts so I won't get bored nor frustrated.

During this challenge I will allow myself 2 heatpasses which I prob won't use because I only use direct heat 3x a year as it is.

Goal Month:

I pray for April and if not June 23rd (my Bday). I know both dates are sooner than most of you ladies have but with your motivation I know I can stick to my regimen. (I do better when I'm being watched:blush:)

Pic for starting length:

grow

^^you've got a beautiful head of hair TeddyB!

your reggie looks great too!

now know that we are "watching you" and waiting for you to come back regularly to keep us updated on what you're using, how it's working and how you're feeling!
(otherwise we'll have to just hunt you down, lol!)

SingBrina

Air dried for the first time yesterday! I conditioned with Optimum Anti-Breakage and left Chi Keratin Mist and Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship Split End Leave-in in my hair.... when it finished drying it was crazy soft and smelled great, with a lot of body!!!!!!!!!! I'll start doing this more often!

Teddy B

^^you've got a beautiful head of hair TeddyB!

your reggie looks great too!

now know that we are "watching you" and waiting for you to come back regularly to keep us updated on what you're using, how it's working and how you're feeling!
(otherwise we'll have to just hunt you down, lol!)

Thank you 'grow', trust me I need to be stalked to post. I am here 24/7 but I don't post much. This is my first challenge here so I really want to reach my goal.

Thank you for checking on me :grin:

ojemba

Sign me up!!! I'm aiming for mbl by sept 2011. It's great that we start in sept 2010 so that gives me a full year. I'm currently bsb.

ojemba

Opps I didn't add my regie:

I will be using extension braids and wigs with braids under as a ps up until my next retouch in April 2011. I plan to stretch for 10 months.
I will pre poo (when not in braids) with oil mixture and protein con.
I wash with either ojon or aphogee damage shampoo weekly.
I deep con with mixtures of wgo, alter ego, or ojon con.
I'll alternate applying jbco and bee mine serum om my scalp.
Moistuize braids with scurl and seal with coconut oil. Every other day apply African royal braid spray and infusium mix.

I think that's it for my Reggie while I'm in braids. I will upload pic when I take out this install in 2 weeks.

ojemba

Opps I didn't add my regie:

I will be using extension braids and wigs with braids under as a ps up until my next retouch in April 2011. I plan to stretch for 10 months.
I will pre poo (when not in braids) with oil mixture and protein con.
I wash with either ojon or aphogee damage shampoo weekly.
I deep con with mixtures of wgo, alter ego, or ojon con.
I'll alternate applying jbco and bee mine serum om my scalp.
Moistuize braids with scurl and seal with coconut oil. Every other day apply African royal braid spray and infusium mix.

I think that's it for my Reggie while I'm in braids. I will upload pic when I take out this install in 2 weeks.

I forgot to add that I will do a protein treatment before every install.

RainyDaze

I am currently between SL and APL. My MBL target date is 8/11.

Regimen:
Shampoo and deep condition at least once a week
Use sulfate-free shampoo
Steam challenge
No blow-drying, only air dry
Keep ends moisturized
Sulfur on scalp, currently using Doo Gro Medicated Hair Vitalizer (Anti-Itch)
Take hair vits, cod liver oil

againstallodds

I'm in. I'm currently in the BSL by Dec 2011 challenge as well, and I feel like achieving MBL in 2011 is a bit of a stretch since I'm factoring in trims and set backs (I pray I don't have any!) but a girl can dream can't she! :) MBL is my dream hair length, I would be so estatic if I achieved this length by Dec 2011.

Regimen:
Wash 1x a week with Paul Mitchell Super Strong Shampoo, apply Roux Porosity Control for 1 minute, deep condition with Paul Mitchell Super-Charged Moisturizer or Aubrey Organics HRS. Protein when I need it with Paul Mitchell Super Strong Treatment.

Supplements: Country Life Maxi-Hair, Country Life Natural Garlic.

Stretch my relaxer for 10-12 weeks. Dusting when I need it.

Moisturizing and sealing with BRBC and coconut oil. I'll be starting Beemine Growth Serum in a week or two... whenever it arrives.

Starting pic:

Teddy B

:update:

The mailman delivered my JBCO today, after sniffing it a good 15min (the first time I couldn't stand the burnt smell but now it's my Jamaican glue :blush:) I did a cowash using HE Frizz Fighter, wrapped my hair in a Tshirt to get the excess water out, applied JBCO to my scalp, moisturized the lenght of my hair with Suave Coconut conditioner and sealed with EVCO.

I braided 2 cornrows at my nape to protect it while I'm wetbunning. One from left to the middle and the other from right to the middle (hopes that makes sence), brushed my edges and put it in a bun.

2morrowmorning I will wet my hair under the shower again and add some more Suave and EVCO.

I will prob shampoo this weekend and do a henna treatment.

loulou82

UpDaTe: I'm on Week 9 of my weave. My official length check isn't until December though.

Welcome to all the new ladies!

NikkiQ

^^week 9? and here I am struggling on week 3 lmao. I think it's the hair though. I've always stuck with straight hair, but wanted to try something different. This curly mess is giving me the blues.

grow

:update:

The mailman delivered my JBCO today, after sniffing it a good 15min (the first time I couldn't stand the burnt smell but now it's my Jamaican glue :blush:) I did a cowash using HE Frizz Fighter, wrapped my hair in a Tshirt to get the excess water out, applied JBCO to my scalp, moisturized the lenght of my hair with Suave Coconut conditioner and sealed with EVCO.

I braided 2 cornrows at my nape to protect it while I'm wetbunning. One from left to the middle and the other from right to the middle (hopes that makes sence), brushed my edges and put it in a bun.

2morrowmorning I will wet my hair under the shower again and add some more Suave and EVCO.

I will prob shampoo this weekend and do a henna treatment.

thanks for updating us, Teddy B!

question: you braided the nape while it was wet? i've heard some people say that braiding the nape helps it to grow, is this why you do it?
and what i'm trying to figure out is where the nape braid goes after the bun is done....hmmmm....

petitmaui

I want to join in the challenge. I hope I'm not too late. I'm transitioning to natural and I'm about 18 months post relaxer. Last time I straightened my hair I was almost past bsl but then I cut off 1 1/2 inch and that was about 2 or 3 months ago. I will be straightening it again in a few weeks to see where I'm at. I want to be MBL by Dec 30 2010. And the last 4 1/2 inches of my hair are relaxed and I don't plan to cut it all off until March or August 2011.

Teddy B

thanks for updating us, Teddy B!

question: you braided the nape while it was wet? i've heard some people say that braiding the nape helps it to grow, is this why you do it?
and what i'm trying to figure out is where the nape braid goes after the bun is done....hmmmm....

It was more damp and yes I braid my nape to help it grow and protect it from breakage when (wet)bunning. I usually feel lazy to do so but when I don't do it I see the effects (breakage) from the constant bun. My nape is my weakest area anyways.

I had a picture of it in a cute bun but can't seem to find it but after braiding I just include the braids in the bun I'm making and keep the bun low so it's not that noticeable. I will ask my cousin to make me another one when she comes to visit to make it visual for you

Katherina

Regimen:

Cowash & finger detangle 1-2x per week in sections, then wear a braidout or twistout. It is my goal to clarify, henna, and DC once per month.

Goal Month:

Hmm...This past year it took me 9 mos to grow 3" :(, so September (and wishing for May :drunk:! ).

Pic for starting length:

I don't like posting pics in the open forums. But I'm .5-1" away from BSL, and MBL is 3" from BSL. Pics from June 30 in my album.