Mud Puddle Bentonite Hair Wash

Ogoma

More information at mudpuddle.ca

Try our all new, all natural product. Mud Puddle Hair Wash has only the finest ingredients, carefully chosen to allow you to gently wash your hair, the "no poo" way. No surfactants. No artificial ingredients. No sodium laureth sulphate. A unique blend of essential oils and the highest grade bentonite clay will leave your hair silky soft and smelling spring fresh.

The fresh, citrus scent was carefully selected to provide maximum invigoration for you and your hair. The gentle, pleasing aroma includes lemon, bergamot, blood orange and jojoba oils - a delight for both your nose as well as your gorgeous locks.

Mud Puddle differs from other mud shampoos because it uses a special bentonite that creates a gel-like consistency with a slippery feel that glides through your hair. We are not exaggerating when we say that you have never felt a natural product with this consistency.

100% NATURAL INGREDIENTS.
NO PRESERVATIVES.
NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS.
100% VEGAN.

Ingredients
Water (Aqua), Bentonite (Bentonite Clay), Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Sinesis (Blood Orange) Fruit Oil, Cymbopogon Citratus (Lemongrass) Leaf Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Rosa Damascena (Rose) Flower Oil

Directions for Use
Our special gel formula is easy to use: Simply scoop a tablespoon's worth of hair mud into your hands and apply it to the hair. Massage gently into the scalp and rinse. That's it! NO MESS (or messy shower) NO FUSS.

Ogoma

I got an email about this from Nothing Naughty Naturals. I am thinking of buying it, but wanted to check on here if anyone has used it. I want to get back into using clay to detoxify my hair, but would prefer to avoid the mess and inconvenience.

If anyone has used it let me know. I never heard of the product until this morning.

HanaKuroi

I got the email too. The shipping is too high for me to take a chance though. I hope someone reviews it soon!

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Amarilles

The ingredients sound amazing...I wonder how the water and oils don't separate though since there isn't an emulsifier.

ETA: Oooh I can actually get this on the ground from the girl I normally get my products from! Ooh...

Last edited:

Ogoma

I got the email too. The shipping is too high for me to take a chance though. I hope someone reviews it soon!

Shipping was the same as the discount and I am in the city they ship out of.

I will wait until there are reviews.

snoop

I just wanted to leave a quick post saying that I tried the Mud Puddle today. Initial reaction: I like it, I think even better than Terressentials, but I definitely do not like the (non-sale) price.

I'll try to post a proper review tomorrow after I see how my hair is a day later.

hair4today

I just wanted to leave a quick post saying that I tried the Mud Puddle today. Initial reaction: I like it, I think even better than Terressentials, but I definitely do not like the (non-sale) price.

I'll try to post a proper review tomorrow after I see how my hair is a day later.
snoop, thanks for the review, sounds like a winner. I ordered 2 mud puddles with the 50% discount so hope it works for me because Terressentials mud wash was my staple clarifier. Was so bummed to find out that Terressentials won't ship or distribute in Canada any longer due to our label laws:(

snoop

I decided to take advantage of the half price sale at Nothing Naught Naturals and buy 2 jars of the Mud Puddle Mud Wash, mainly because I was curious about bentonite gel.

01 Mud Puddle.JPG

First impressions: When I opened the jar the smell was different than I expected. I’m not very good at identifying smells, but the citrus was nice – different than TE’s LCL, I guess, less “sharp”? I also smelt something that smelled like vanilla. Could be something else in there like bergamot, but I’m not sure what that smells like. It was nice, but for some reason I was expecting a more tangerine smell, I guess because of the blood orange. The smell is OK, but not the greatest if you’re into candy fragrances.

I decided to do the wash without any pre-poos, AVC rinces, or conditioner after so that I could see what the wash would do to my hair. Also, I didn’t wash my hair in braids since I wanted to see how tangled it would leave my hair.

I put a tablespoon of the wash into a container and brought it into the shower. I wasn’t going to try to dilute it first, but water started getting into the container as I was soaking my hair and then applying it so I continued the process out of the shower. I notice that it didn’t dilute like TE, I guess because of the gel consistency.

02 Mud Puddle Undiluted.JPG

I was also afraid that the 1/2 teaspoon that I’d mangaged to get into my hair didn’t really coat because it wasn’t diluting, but there was nothing to worry about. It had covered my hair really well.

03 On Wet Hair.JPG

I finished applying it and was going to leave it in for 20 minutes under a plastic cap, but I got distracted and it stayed in for an hour.

Washing it out was super easy. It washes out much easier than TE in that once it’s spread on your hair it’s a thinner consistency than TE. My hair was SUPER soft after, kind of like what I thought my hair felt like when I first started using TE – but not lately, possibly due to swimming once a week and just having come out of winter (I started using TE at the same time of year -- May last year).

I was going to leave my hair open to air dry so that I could see how long it would take, but had to go out so I baggied for a good part of the day while running errands. By time was able to leave my hair out it took at least 2 hours to get 90% dry and even then it wasn’t crispy or hard.

04 Dry Hair.JPG

I was going to continue the experiment and leave my hair open overnight, but I got a chance to plait it (using a moisturizer and a bit of JBCO). My shedding was really reduced, but that could be because of a few things (I decided to finger detangle instead of detangling with a comb, my post-partum shedding could be slowing down.) I baggied again, and this morning my hair is still relatively soft.

Final verdict: I really like this product, possibly more than TE, but at the regular price it works out to be the same price as TE but for half the quantity. Plus shipping. From that point of view, I don’t think it’s worth it.

I still have a couple of bottles of TE to finish, so I’ll be using this product when I feel like my hair needs extra moisture and I’ll save my second jar for winter.

Last edited:

HanaKuroi

I lost my email from them. Was the code in the email? It was in my spam folder and was deleted.

snoop

hair4today If you check their vendor list, you can find people who will ship to Canada. That's how I got my bottles last year.

HanaKuroi There was no coupon code. It was on promotion for 50% off and the price was slashed directly on their site. The promotion unfortunately ended last week.

hair4today

snoop, I used to buy my TE online from Nothing Naughty and on the ground from Big Carrot (local to Toronto). Both of these vendors no longer carry the mud wash b/c TE won't provide bilingual labels that can be shipped to Canada. Can you let me know which vendor you're using?

Last edited:

HanaKuroi

snoop said:
hair4today If you check their vendor list, you can find people who will ship to Canada. That's how I got my bottles last year.

HanaKuroi There was no coupon code. It was on promotion for 50% off and the price was slashed directly on their site. The promotion unfortunately ended last week.

Ughhhh I knew it! I really need to set reminders.

Thanks!

hair4today

@McQuay30 @snoop @HanaKuroi @tiffers @Ogoma

Ladies here is my review -- warning kinda long.

Soooo used the new Mud Puddle yesterday for the first time. In my opinion, it does all the good stuff Terressentials does but without any of the drawbacks, i.e. ease of use, no mess. MP has a silky gel like consistency so it glides on your hair (no diluting necessary) similar to a conditioner with slip. It felt good going on, the smell was mild citrus, it cleansed and moisturized my hair so much so that I was planning to do a DC and didn't bother with it cause my hair felt so soft and detangled using only the mud puddle. I followed it up with a conditioner rinse using SM Balancing Conditioner. The results were spectacular (for me anyway :)). My curls popped and seriously I felt that I could have worn a decent wash and go if I added some gel or light coating of oils to seal. I chose not to do that as I dreaded tangled hair later on so I threw it up in a ponytail bun to stretch while air drying. All day I was stroking my hair it felt so soft. When I got home from work, I sealed with NG Pumpkin butter and styled with bantu-knots. Today I wore my hair in a bantu-out style which turned out rather nice ( v. little frizz, soft, shiny and bouncy). I got a few compliments at work today. Nice! Anyhow all that to say that I'm glad I bought 2 jars of Mud Puddle as its a bit pricey at $25 for 8 oz but I do like the results on my hair even better than I did with Terressentials so will stock up whenever there is a sale and maybe rotate every other week with the NG cleansing conditioner that I am currently using. So from me a big thumbs up to Mud Puddle.:yep:

Last edited:

hair4today

McQuay30 I know shipping is just nuts. If it wasn't for the 50% discount I wouldn't decided to give it a try. I paid 12.50 to ship toToronto. I was on their facebook page and they've just added another vendor. Shipping is $8.50 at least to Toronto it is not sure where you're located

"Great News- you can now purchase our amazing product from www.lovethyhns.ca! They have a wonderful promotion on right now too! Be sure to check it out!"

HanaKuroi

But I live in the U.S.! Waaaaaah

McQuay30

Hey, yall they r having a sale 40% off plus free shipping as long as u purchase 2 bottles. The code is SECRETMUD3.

lalla

I wouldn't try such a product with no preservative. If you use water, you need preservatives or else you'll have all kind of nasties growing in your product. Something that might be in contact with your eyes or mouth or nose.
Bentonite is not a preservative, nor is any of the ingredients listed.

hair4today

I wouldn't try such a product with no preservative. If you use water, you need preservatives or else you'll have all kind of nasties growing in your product. Something that might be in contact with your eyes or mouth or nose.
Bentonite is not a preservative, nor is any of the ingredients listed.
Interesting, the ingredients is pretty much the same as Terresssentials Lemon and I haven't heard of any issues with nasties growing in the mud wash. I wonder if the citrusy EOs are enough when used with bentonite clay?

HanaKuroi

McQuay30 said:
Hey, yall they r having a sale 40% off plus free shipping as long as u purchase 2 bottles. The code is SECRETMUD3.

Expiration?

How did u find this deal? Yay!