Naturals/Transitioners- No Heat Challenge

Country gal

Are you napptural heads up for a no heat challenge? I am trying to not press my hair for at least 6 months. I finally understand the pre-warnings I got about pressing my natural hair but I did not heed the warning. :( Now I am trying not to press it for at least 6 months and I don't blow dry it either. Hopefully, my hair will only get better.

kristina

Sounds good but whether I can stick out 6 months depends on how well I work my no-heat styles at my summer job which I start next week.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I just started transitioning about two months ago. I haven't used heat at all, but my mom thinks I should "atleast get a press and curl, so I can be cute." I don't really think I need to, but I was scared of heat damage to the new growth that I'm trying to protect. Is it better to continue the no heat method throughout my transition? or is it okay everyonce once in awhile (once every few months)?

divine

I want to try this, and bring my natural curls back. I will not use my maxiglide or blow dryer. I didn't use it today, and will continue.

Country gal

So for the ladies that have been heat free:

What does that mean? (No flat irons or pressing combs, does it include no blowdyers)

Do you feel that your hair has benefitted from having no heat on it?

Has having no heat on your hair help to keep your curl definition?

ThickHair

sbaker said:

What does that mean? (No flat irons or pressing combs, does it include no blowdyers)

It mean no nothing for me. I have been heat free for 7 years. I own no heating appliances

I do feel that my hair has benefitted from having no heat. I rarely have split ends and my hair has so much body.

So far as curl definition, my hair doesn't have curls to it, just tightly wound kinks\naps, so curl defintion is not an issue for me.

Country gal

nubianqt86 said:
I just started transitioning about two months ago. I haven't used heat at all, but my mom thinks I should "atleast get a press and curl, so I can be cute." I don't really think I need to, but I was scared of heat damage to the new growth that I'm trying to protect. Is it better to continue the no heat method throughout my transition? or is it okay everyonce once in awhile (once every few months)?

I had to deal with my family too. I was looking rough during my transition. I made a decision to go natural so I need to stick with that decision. Originally I did want to press my hair but I damaged my hair by doing that. Some parts are straight, wavey and curly. I just worked with some stylists and started doing twists. My family likes the twists because at least it looks like a style to them. :lol: I got some good advice on this board from the ladies. They told me to just be firm in my decision and don't let family sway me. I had to realize if I am going to be natural, then I need to do the damn thing. So I have been wearing sexy earrings, headbands and scarves. I choose to be napptural at this stage in my life, so I need to get my mind napptural too.

Country gal

ThickHair said:
It mean no nothing for me. I have been heat free for 7 years. I own no heating appliances

I do feel that my hair has benefitted from having no heat. I rarely have split ends and my hair has so much body.

So far as curl definition, my hair doesn't have curls to it, just tightly wound kinks\naps, so curl defintion is not an issue for me.

:notworthy 7 YEARS. Oh my. So what styles do you wear. Did you say 7 Years? :lol: Shocking. My friend thinks she needs her hair pressed or blowdried to get a trim. She feels without taking those steps than her hair would be unevenly trimmed.

ThickHair

sbaker said:
:notworthy 7 YEARS. Oh my. So what styles do you wear. Did you say 7 Years? :lol: Shocking. My friend thinks she needs her hair pressed or blowdried to get a trim. She feels without taking those steps than her hair would be unevenly trimmed.
Twist, puffs, plaits & braids. Someone ask me about the trimming thing. I ask them have they ever seen me wear a hair style that required my hair to be perfectly even. I don't, so no one can tell. It was easy for me and I really wanted to be natural and I know that I couldn't keep up the heating appliance use, I might as well kept a relaxer if I was going to wear my hair straight all the time, it absolutely made NO sense to ME to use heat. That was my relaxer life, heat, my natural life was carefree, easy living. I would sooner wear a baldie then pick up a blowdryer or curling iron. My friends has field day when I gave all that stuff away. Hair dryer, curling irons, electric hot comb, electric rollers, combs, brushes, pins and everything.

BTW I also relaxed every 4 weeks like clock work, now I don't understand how I still had enough hair for 2 people.

Jewell

sbaker said:

-no hooded dryers, no flat irons, no pressing combs, no blow dryers, no marcel irons of any kind, no crimpers, etc.
-my hair is much thicker since stopping the heat, and I don't have to trim splits as often
-I still have a huge amount of relaxed hair, so I have no curl definition on the ends, lol. I'm early on my transitioning journey, and my roots get laid down with some mango butter and a scarf. :D

BTW: I condition in the shower with a plastic cap and towel around my head.

Last edited:

MeccaMedinah

What does that mean? (No flat irons or pressing combs, does it include no blowdyers) Yep no heat, period.

Do you feel that your hair has benefitted from having no heat on it? I say yes. But I've never had natural hair before, so I can't compare.

Has having no heat on your hair help to keep your curl definition? Well, My curls/coils turn to a fro with curls on the ends... so I guess so.

I don't use heat because I am not trying to fry up the healthiest, longest hair I've ever had as an adult. :up:

chocolate01

I'm in. I did good last year with my no heat challenge but I got a blowout earlier this year and blowdried my hair last weekend so i've slipped up a couple times. But im back on track, I just need to get my mom off my back. She thinks I should press my hair every now and then to change it up a bit :ohwell: .

Country gal

How do you deep condition your hair? With relaxed hair, I was always told to deep condition and sit under a hood dryer. Don't you need the heat to penetrate the hair shaft?

February 05 was my last time using heating appliances.

ThickHair

sbaker said:
How do you deep condition your hair? With relaxed hair, I was always told to deep condition and sit under a hood dryer. Don't you need the heat to penetrate the hair shaft?

February 05 was my last time using heating appliances.
Plastic cap.

moda

What does that mean? (No flat irons or pressing combs, does it include no blowdyers) Airdrying, sometimes leaving the house with damp hair

Do you feel that your hair has benefitted from having no heat on it? Quite honestly I have not noticed much of a difference, but I am sure it has, I never really felt my hair was damaged by heat, but I knew it was not good to use. I take that back, my hair has retained more length since I have been heat free

Has having no heat on your hair help to keep your curl definition? I never lost my curl definition, my hair stands up really well to heat, it always snapped right back to the curls when wet

Although I have been heat free I have not given up heat, starting next month I will press ~every 2-4 months when I go to a beauty salon to pamper myself and have my ends trimmed

MeccaMedinah

sbaker said:

Plastic cap or plastic bag with a towel wrapped around either of these.

ThickHair said:

Congrats ThickHair on being heat-free for 7 years!! I can't wait to get to that point! Next month will mark 4 years since the last time I used heat on my hair. Yayy!! I don't use any heat whatsoever, and like ThickHair, don't own any heating appliances.

My hair has definitely thanked me for it because I began to retain more length. For deep conditioning, I just put a plastic bag on my head and let it sit for up to an hour while I do chores or watch TV.

kristina

Okay I like my twists so I think I'm going to participate but I might have to breakdown and at least allow myself one maxiglide in the 6 month period. The last time I used heat was in March but I'm going to try to go until Nov will only on flat ironing and no blow drying. I'm going to commit to no flat ironing or blowdrying but may try flexirod setting as well. I'm shooting for 4 inches of new growth by Nov.

Ayeshia

Im in until November which will be the two year mark.:) That means not using a blowdryer. I have yet to put a flat iron to my head.

Country gal

BUMP- How are we doing with the challenge? So far I have not used any heat on my hair. I am tempted to dye it. :confused:

Im going to try to be heat free until my birthday. October 3. So that will be 4 months heat free. wish me luck:ohwell:

Country gal

I think summer months would help you stay away from heating. I love the wash and go look especially since it is not real cold outside.

moda

I've been doing great. I challenged myself to use no heat for 6 months Dec 10, I had planned to get my hair pressed and trimmed next week but I have decided against it, I want to keep this up longer.