No more hair type confusion

BMoreFlyy

DatJerseyDyme said:
I'm a 4a. My new growth comes in wavy until I get a fair amount and it starts to bulk up and coil.

thanks... I'm just going to observe what it does before my perm, because I really don't know.

Crysdon

MsCrystal said:
I don't remember.

So you've probably never seen your natural texture. From looking at the picture with the part in your hair, I will have to agree with Webby by saying you're most likely in the 4 category.

Porsche19

Why would one "act confused" about thier hair type because they don't like it?

It doesn't make sense to me because:

If you KNOW your hairtype, then acting confused isn't going to change it in any way.

If I had 4b hair and wished for 3a hair... am I going to act like I don't know that I have 4b hair? What exactly would that accomplish?

I don't see the logic in that, I don't believe that to be too common.

TigerLily

:lol: You'd be suprised! I've seen people swear up and down that their hair was 3b instead of 4b or even 4a! I've seen it right here on this site, too as well as other sites. And be the first ones to have mulitple threads asking 'what's my hair type' and then when you break it down, they tell you, 'naw, I don't think so'. If you don't think so, then why do they keep asking???? It happens and it really is common. Now, does it make sense? HECKS NO! That doesn't stop people from doing it! Denial is a MUTHA!!! :look: :lol:

Tiffany

TigerLily said:
:lol: You'd be suprised! I've seen people swear up and down that their hair was 3b instead of 4b or even 4a! I've seen it right here on this site, too as well as other sites. And be the first ones to have mulitple threads asking 'what's my hair type' and then when you break it down, they tell you, 'naw, I don't think so'. If you don't think so, then why do they keep asking???? It happens and it really is common. Now, does it make sense? HECKS NO! That doesn't stop people from doing it! Denial is a MUTHA!!! :look: :lol:

EXACTLY! So sad. :lol:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Porsche19 said:
Why would one "act confused" about thier hair type because they don't like it?

It doesn't make sense to me because:

If you KNOW your hairtype, then acting confused isn't going to change it in any way.

If I had 4b hair and wished for 3a hair... am I going to act like I don't know that I have 4b hair? What exactly would that accomplish?

I don't see the logic in that, I don't believe that to be too common.
I don't get why someone would act like that either... but I haven't noticed it on this board... I guess I haven't seen threads/posts where people act like that.

Nay

On the other end of the spectrum, I've had people insist that my hair is 3 and not 4a. And I'm guessing this must be based on my twistout pics, because my hair does look 3-ish in those pics. But, trust me, my hair in its natural washed state is 4 all day long. It is not silky, shiny, curly like those 3 heads appear. If I tried to "wash and go," I'd end up coming right back into the house for fear of scaring small children :lol:

Don't get me wrong, though. I love my hair and I wouldn't trade it for anyone else's. It is what it is -- versatile!

melodee

I appreciate the post, but to me there will be no confusion only when we stop concerning ourselves with hair types. My hair doesn't look like any of those pics.

It's just to me it's like trying to fit all our our wonderful skin tones in a light, medium, deep, and dark category.

MonaLisa

TigerLily said:

LOL...so it's not just a river???? :lol:

Porsche19

I just recalled one instance in which a lhcf memeber was in denial. This is he only time I've run across it here.

The said that thier hair was 2c because it had very small waves. Like it was 4a, without coils but with waves. So therefore it was type 2 hair.

Um... no offense if the poster reads this (I don't know who it is) but it's just that... you were BSing that day.

Crysdon

Porsche19 said:
I just recalled one instance in which a lhcf memeber was in denial. This is he only time I've run across it here.

The said that thier hair was 2c because it had very small waves. Like it was 4a, without coils but with waves. So therefore it was type 2 hair.

Um... no offense if the poster reads this (I don't know who it is) but it's just that... you were BSing that day.

:lachen: I know who you're talking about and it was no convincing her that she wasn't a 2 anything.

I saw someone's pictures and she calls herself a 3b and it's obvious from her wet pics and her edges that her hair is a 3c/4a. It's truly sad.

MomofThreeBoys

Your post had me :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

TigerLily said:

ccd

I thought I could beat a dead horse
:lol:
Just kiddin'......FYI for any one else who is confused

Edited by Fia April 29, 2005 to update text to latest version of the hair typing system.

FIRST CLASSIFIER - Your curliness (or lack thereof)

The straight ones
1a - stick straight
1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

The wavy ones
2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair
2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there

The curly ones
3a - big, loose spiral curls
3b - bouncy ringlets
3c - tight corkscrews

The really curly ones
4a - tightly coiled S-curls
4b - tightly coiled hair bending in sharp angles (Z-pattern)

SECOND CLASSIFIER - What (most of) your individual strands look like

F - Fine
Thin strands that sometimes are almost translucent when held up to the light. Shed strands can be hard to see even against a contrasting background. Similar to hair found on many people of Scandinavian descent.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Fine hair is difficult to feel or it feels like an ultra-fine strand of silk

M - Medium
Strands are neither fine nor coarse. Similar to hair found on many Caucasians.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Medium hair feels like a cotton thread. You can feel it, but it isn't stiff or rough. It is neither fine or coarse.

C - Coarse
Thick strands that where shed strands usually are easily identified against most backgrounds. Similar to hair found on many people of Asian or native American descent.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Coarse hair feels hard and wiry. As you roll it back and forth, you may actually hear it.

THIRD CLASSIFIER - Your overall volume of hair

Put your hair in a ponytail with as much hair as possible in it. Don't bother with the way it looks - the goal is to have most/all of your hair in there. If it means it sits smack dab on top of your head, put it there.

Measure the circumference of the ponytail. If you have bangs and/or you can't get all of your hair in there adjust according to how much of your hair you have measured.

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
ii - normal (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)

MissYocairis

Porsche19 said:
There is still room for confuion :lol:

My hair in it's natural state does not resemble any of the pictures. It's looser than the picture of 4a hair, but tighter than the picture of 3c hair. In the back it very closely resembles the 3c of the girl with the 3c highlights, but is coarser.

In my whole life I have only seen 1 person with hair like mine. Of course, this can be because many women straighten their hair.

I just call it a day and say I'm 3c/4a. :)

I am in 100% agreement with your whole post. My hair is somewhere between 3c and 4a but definitely NOT one or the other. And, in the back, at the nape, it's 3b. It's frustrating. Not knowing. Almost makes me feel like transitioning completely just to see what I am. *sike* :D