November 2013 Hits & Missess

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
TeeBee

Wash day is Monday. I may mix them (my fine 4a hair needs some protein!) with EVOO, EVCO and glycerin and sit under my dryer.

I usually use Giovanni's Nutrafix, too, but I may skip this just to see what it do!

I'll report back my findings...

leona2025

I love most ORS products. This month I tried the olive oil masque and omg. My hair was so soft and moisturized. Almost like my Silicon Mix. I'm going to get this in the large container.

ChocolatePie777

>hits<
*GIOVANNI 2CHIC conditioners..Keratin & Argan (Ultra Sleek), Avocado & Olive (Ultra Moist)*

Hands down. THE best conditioners I have used to date. Perfect for cowashing, leaving in, rinse out, deep conditioning, moisturizing my dry hair, AND slicking down edges (with the help of a satin scarf). Plus they come in 24 oz bottles WITH a pump?! It's a wrap. I'd be a fool to use anything else from now on.

Yeah these are real good....i told my self if anyone ask me about a good conditioner to use i would recommend these (because they work well and are more conventional)......I prefer the argan oil one though neither do much for my curl definition (actually the oppsite for me)....I'm glad I tried it cause I like knowing I have good options "just in case".....but I won't repurchase cause my staple brands last longer and work better in the long run for me..

Ogoma

I had to come in and thank PJaye and EnExitStageLeft for mentioning these products.

Mega Hit:
Darcy's Botanicals Transitioning Creme: My hair has been so so so soft all week. I like the thickness, the way it sinks into my hair, and the instant softness. My search for moisturizers is over. Darcy's Botanicals Transitioning Creme and Oyin Hair Dew are it as long as the formulations stay the same. I have tried so many products, I don't know how I missed this.

Darcy's Botanicals Cocoa Bean Curl Whip: My hair has always hated when I left products with honey on my hair (rinse outs it loves). But, I have used this as a creamy styler on dry and damp hair quite a few times and it leaves my hair soft and so shiny. I didn't think I needed a creamy styler, but now I see I do.

Stretching with Curlformers: Modified my regimen a bit this winter to stretch with Curlformers weekly and use that a base to style my hair. I am loving it. I workout 5 days a week so I was worried my scalp will be on fire by midweek, but it starts telling me it is time about Friday night (wash day is Sunday). My oil mix with some Rosemary, Lemon, and Myrrh essential oils calms my scalp until wash day.

Continued Hits:
- Lush Fair Trade Honey Shampoo: debating if I should attempt to make my own with castille soap and honey or pick a bottle up black friday.
- HH Pink Grapefruit: makes my hair very soft, but no slip on my hair so unfortunately not a repurchase. If you don't need slip, grab it.
- HH Soft Coconut Marshmallow: moisturizes very well, but cannot hold up to Canadian winters.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Continued Hit:
KeraVada Hair Oils (various)
Naturelle Grow's Herbal Cleansing Conditioner
Claudie's Renew Protein Rx

New Hits:
DB Pumpkin Seed Conditioner (had it for years. Sold it, Swapped it, Gifted it, re-bought it never used it)
CC's Naturals Hibiscus Leave-In

EnExitStageLeft

Ogoma

I glad someone loves the moisturizing whip the way I do. I have about a 4th of a jar of the moisturizing whip and I have 2 more backups, but I still feel like I need more:lol:.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Ogoma and IDareT'sHair

Y'all must have been haulin' because it would be $17.00 with the $5.00 S&H, unless I spend $50.00. I'll babysit CM's site until their gray sale is over to see if they restock it by the 26th.

EnExitStageLeft

MileHighDiva

I also got it from Aveyou. Did you use the 15% off coupon code: FIVE. That usually takes off most of the shipping. Aveyou's shipping blows Curlmarts out of the water. The ONLY time there is a hold up is if the product is out of stock. I can order it today and Monday it'll be sitting on my doorstep tomorrow.

Ogoma

I was buying a number of different things. That is why I love shopping with AveYou and wish more vendors would have things there as well. All my shipping at $1 would be great. :lol:

If the sale is over at Curlmart, I don't think it would be cheaper because Curlmart's non-sale shipping is higher.

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
Hit: Rosewater.

I keep touching my hair and smelling my hand just so I can smell the goodness!

I mixed some with AVG yesterday before using my concoction to twist my hair!

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
New hit:

fractionated coconut oil - everything I love about CO (scent, slip, and penetrative ability) and nothing I don't (hardness, stiff hair, difficulty scooping out product).

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
New hit:

fractionated coconut oil - everything I love about CO (scent, slip, and penetrative ability) and nothing I don't (hardness, stiff hair, difficulty scooping out product).

DoDo what is the 60 sec version of fractionated evco? Is that chemical or heat extraction? Does it remove the MCT's? Too lazy to go to Google University right now :look: Give me the 411, :lol:

Ogoma

DoDo what is the 60 sec version of fractionated evco? Is that chemical or heat extraction? Does it remove the MCT's? Too lazy to go to Google University right now :look: Give me the 411, :lol:

MileHighDiva not DoDo, but I love it as well

Here is a description:
As the name implies, Fractionated coconut oil is a fraction of the coconut oil from which almost all the long chain triglycerides are removed, thus leaving mainly the medium-chain triglycerides and making it an absolutely saturated oil. This saturation gives it a very, very long shelf life and greatly increased stability. In addition, fractionating raises the comparative concentration of Capric acid and Caprylic acid, thus giving it more of antioxidant and disinfecting effect.

Rozlewis

Continued hits:
Organic EVCO
JBCO Mix (A mix of penetrating oils such as coconut, olive oil, and avocado)
Coffee Rinse
Curl Junkies Curl Rehab
Manuka Honey
Peppermint, rosemary, and Eucalyptus oil

New Hits:
Slippery Elm Bark Tea Rinse
Darcy Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean Curl Smoothing Cream
ACV (1/4 cup ACV and 2 cups of cool water)
Unpetroleum Jelly

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Ogoma, so for clarification it's a more concentrated version of EVCO that gives you greater benefits? Where are you guys buying it from etc.?

Does it smell like normal EVCO? I'm the one with the sensitive nose. However, DS hates it when I pre-poo with EVCO, he will not watch movies with me or anything, :lol:

Ogoma

I am pretty sensitive to scents and it has no scent for me at all. It is more concentrated with the MCTs, but if there are any benefits to the LCT they are lost.

I bought mine locally, but all the online sites have them for very decent prices. Shipping is another thing :nono::lol:. If you have up to $30 worth of things to buy, try Wholesale Supplies Plus.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
MileHighDiva not DoDo, but I love it as well

Here is a description:
As the name implies, Fractionated coconut oil is a fraction of the coconut oil from which almost all the long chain triglycerides are removed, thus leaving mainly the medium-chain triglycerides and making it an absolutely saturated oil. This saturation gives it a very, very long shelf life and greatly increased stability. In addition, fractionating raises the comparative concentration of Capric acid and Caprylic acid, thus giving it more of antioxidant and disinfecting effect.

Sorry I'm late, but I think Ogoma covered it! The reason I love it is because it remains a liquid all year round regardless of temperature, yet it still penetrates fully into the hair shaft. Love it!

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I am pretty sensitive to scents and it has no scent for me at all. It is more concentrated with the MCTs, but if there are any benefits to the LCT they are lost.

I bought mine locally, but all the online sites have them for very decent prices. Shipping is another thing :nono::lol:. If you have up to $30 worth of things to buy, try Wholesale Supplies Plus.

I got mine from whole foods. I don't necessarily recommend that because it wasn't cheap. I have been wanting to try wholesale supplies plus. The long chain triglycerides are probably what make evco solid. The main benefit of coconut oil in general is that it absorbs up to 90 percent into the hair shaft and replenishes the lipid barrier in the hair shaft. I'm not sure how long chain triglycerides would assist this process, so I don't miss them.

Ogoma

^^ I have never really looked up the benefits of the LCT. I read fractionated coconut does not have lauric acid, which has health benefits, but not sure what it does for hair externally. I would not use fractionated coconut oil alone, I think its value is in mixing it with other oils to bring out the benefits of all of them.

all_1_length

Welp I just had to try the Mixed Chicks samples that I bought last month.

Hit: Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner. :lick: The best stuff I ever did try. Ridiculously moisturizing. The half oz sample I purchased was too much for my big head. I could've probably gotten at least 2 DC for that $1 I spent on it.:lol:

On The Fence: Mixed Chicks Sulfate Free Shampoo. It was aight. Not stripping but not moisturizing either. It's hard to describe the feeling my hair had after using it, I would probably say "coated" but not very much. I will say that the lather it produced on the second wash was no joke. It was really thick and sort of stiff. I won't be ditching my staple shampoo for this anytime soon. I'm glad this one was just a sample.

Really Big Miss: Mixed Chicks Leave in Conditioner. If anyone is considering trying this product please JUST LEAVE IT ALONE!!! If I could put this warning in big flashing lights I would. I shoulda known by the puss color this stuff had that it was bad news. Made my hair crunchy and tangled it like nobody's business.:burning: I can't wait to wash this :censored: outta my hair. Threw the rest of it away.

Well I guess 2 out of 3 ain't too bad. I still haven't tried their Sulfate Shampoo yet. It's supposed to be a clairifying shampoo and my hair needs to be clarified but after the performance of the other shampoo and the debacle that is their leave in I'mma have to pass. I wonder if my sister will try it for me.:angeldevi

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Hit:

MHC Afrikoko Silky Hair Lotion, great moisturizer and that's saying a lot because my hair does not like coconut high up in anything