PROTEIN IS MY FRIEND

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsQueeny

Checking in for my dd. She has been wearing twists for a few weeks now. I am prob going to do a protein tomorrow when I wash it. Her hair is thriving and it's not as dry as it was before. Thanks so much for this challenge. I will take some pics tomorrow. Q

Patricia

I went into my PJ graveyard and used Queen Helene Placenta DC on dry hair (I know, :spank:) then followed up with Suave Humectant condish. Moisturized and sealed with castor oil. My hair feels great today but I won't be using the Placenta that often because I read about the effects.
Your post is too cute! You will be fine as long as your hair is nice and strong. Is the queen helene a protein?

Patricia

Just checking in you ladies as I am still in Nebraska and haven't been able to check in like I'd like to. I'll be back to my scheduled regimen as of June 11th. I am not doing anything to it right now because I am wearing some WL extension braids for a while.
Oh yes aggie we understand and know you doing the right thing by giving your hair a break:yep:

Patricia

I did pre-poo with Aphogee 2 minute miracle on my head while I ran on the TMill and then I used a Nature's Gate moisture shampoo. Dried and bumped with the curling iron. My hair is so soft. I think it's the BKT.... I'm not sure that it was the conditioners I used... But they didn't hurt!
Oh yes good to hear your hair is in good condition. Your hair looks so healthly in your siggy

Patricia

Did a protein tx with Komazacare's Hair Strengthener. I love the simplicity of it. Spray on, sit under dryer for 10 minutes, then wash out. Result--strong ,yet soft hair using a natural product.
Sound like progress! keep up the good results:yep::yep:

Patricia

I was so desperate for some protein the other day that I had my FH bring me an egg while I was in the shower. Needless to say, he was scared :lachen: I cracked that bad boy over my head and proceeded like normal. It really worked, but the smell is kind of hard to get out. :look:
:lachen::lachen::lachen:Thats funny but was needed. Eggs are miracles in the hairworld

Patricia

Haven't posted here in a minute... LOL I've been using my Cantu Leave In Breakage Treatment and I love it. Cantu is starting to grow on me a little. Their products are great. I use the leave in almost everyday and my Aphogee Keratin Green Tea Leave in.

My hair has done a complete turnaround with this challenge. Now that I'm on the right track this time, I should meet my hair goals by the end of next year.
I heard ya, I'm lovin this challenge too!

Patricia

Hi there. Kind of new here. So, I decided to give this a try to see what would happen:

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN YOU USE? Old fashioned eggs (2 yolks and a white) with a herb spiked beer rinse (Sam Adams + nettle + chamomile + horsetail + rosemary; it was just there; made sure the beer rinse was cold) followed by TJ Nourish as a co-wash. I was using Aphogee but I want to really minimize the number of hair products I use from now on.

HOW YOUR HAIR FEEL ON A SCALE FROM 1-10? 9 (it is my first time, haven't used protein in a long long time)

WHAT CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO ACHIEVE A 10? Not sure yet. Any advice would be great. Well, I might use a cheapie conditioner and the eggs, try leaving it overnight, and then do the beer rinse...just a thought...?
Peace... :)
Thanks for joining us! Feel free to officially join the challenge. Sounds like you are doing everything right and I'm saying that by the high rating of 9 Your products sounds like winners too! Come back and let us know how your hair turns out on your next wash day. Never did a beer rinse do that strengthen your hair?

Patricia

Last night, I clarified w/ V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze Clarifying Shampoo. Then I put on the Aphogee 2-min & sat under my heating cap for 10 mins. Then I rinsed and applied the KBB Deep Condish. Then I did an ACV rinse. Then I applied the Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave-In & Hair Nourishing Cream on each section. I braided my hair in plaits & put the hair cream & KBB hair oil on my ends.

I'll give my hair a 9.2. Even though I don't like that it has mineral oil & petrolatum, that Aphogee is good stuff.
Sound good to me. I use product that my hair likes if it happen to have "not so good ingredients" I don't tell my hair:grin::grin::grin:

Patricia

Checking in for my dd. She has been wearing twists for a few weeks now. I am prob going to do a protein tomorrow when I wash it. Her hair is thriving and it's not as dry as it was before. Thanks so much for this challenge. I will take some pics tomorrow. Q
You are so welcome. I'm glad everything is working out. Oh I just love your hair and your doing such a good job on your daughters hair too!

PaleoChick

Hi Patricia. The beer rinse didn't straighten my hair. It did make it feel a lot stronger. If anyone is curious about the herbs, I use herbs in my beer mix to take out the smell. I'll check back in Friday.

morehairplease

Deep conditioning now with my Lanza conditioner mix, egg, and pc.....will come back later with my rating.

ETA: my hair responded extremely well to this combo.....a 10 for sure.

Last edited:

kinkycotton

Dc with aussie 3 min conditioner with egg added in. My hair is still breakage off so I'm not sure if I should do weekly protein treatments since I'm using natural ingredients with a light protein or just cough up the money and order on Amazon a protein re constructor? My hair is growing but it's so frustruating how much I could have if I didn't have this breakage. I do always dc with a moisturizing conditioner as well but not seeing any difference.
My hot oil treatment came out a 10. Thinking I should do that on a weekly basis but not sure if that's too much.

so far my plan is to do weekly protein treatments and 2x a week moisturizing deep conditioning so my hair doesn't seem too hard. Not sure if this will work but it's obvious what I'm doing now it not working. I thought after going natural my hair would get better and it has but not this problem. I'll keep doing a trail and error.:wallbash:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Dc'd yesterday 1 hr with heat and 1 hr without. Used Roots of Nature Shea Butter Green Tea Reconstructor. I like this reconstructor quite a bit. I am very happy with my hair right not at a little past 5 months post.

sqzbly1908

Just checkin' in ...did this on Sunday - washed hair with Therappe - the used Emergencee - followed up with porosity control rinsed and then used Humectress after rinsing ...used Kerastase leave in...

Kellum

I haven't checked in a while. I was sick and then got a little lazy. Any how I DC'd on dry hair with Keraphix, Back to Basics Honey Hydrating, and Salon Care Honey Almond. I rinsed in the morning and then put FSP on my hair, rinsed, applied leave ins, and sealed.

I did have a lot of shedding but I guess it was okay since I haven't really combed through my hair in more than a week. The FSP really helped to make detangling a breeze.

baddison

natural for good
Do they have some kind of spray protien . I know Sta Sof Fro is one , but are there others.:ohwell:

Yes. I use Doo Gro Leave-In Growth Treatment. The second ingredient is hydrolyzed protein:
Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Polyquaternium 11, Propylene Glycol, Quaternium 33 and Ethyl Hexanediol, Polysorbate 20, PEG 75 Lanolin, Isostearamidopropyl Morpholine Lactate, Propylene Glycol and Diazolidinyl Urea and Methylparaben and Propylparaben, Sodium E.D.T.A., Fragrance (Parfum), Cherry Bark, Chamomile, Neutral Henna, Goldenseal, Calendula, Hops, Horsetail Plant Extract.

Love this stuff!!!....:yep:

Attachments

• DooGroLeaveIn.jpg
    DooGroLeaveIn.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 7

Patricia

Dc with aussie 3 min conditioner with egg added in. My hair is still breakage off so I'm not sure if I should do weekly protein treatments since I'm using natural ingredients with a light protein or just cough up the money and order on Amazon a protein re constructor? My hair is growing but it's so frustruating how much I could have if I didn't have this breakage. I do always dc with a moisturizing conditioner as well but not seeing any difference.
My hot oil treatment came out a 10. Thinking I should do that on a weekly basis but not sure if that's too much.

so far my plan is to do weekly protein treatments and 2x a week moisturizing deep conditioning so my hair doesn't seem too hard. Not sure if this will work but it's obvious what I'm doing now it not working. I thought after going natural my hair would get better and it has but not this problem. I'll keep doing a trail and error.:wallbash:
Sorry to hear you having problems. I would def get a reconstructor and then go with the light protein later. Maybe you out of balance cause you using to much moisture. I was doing the protein moisture thing but my hair was so damaged the moisture was to much. I did the protein to rebuild then started using moisture but not that much. It seemed my hair was strong and feeling good with protein then I used moisture DC and that canceled out the protein. I was back to square one. hope I'm explaining it right

Patricia

Dc'd yesterday 1 hr with heat and 1 hr without. Used Roots of Nature Shea Butter Green Tea Reconstructor. I like this reconstructor quite a bit. I am very happy with my hair right not at a little past 5 months post.
Good for you! How long you streching your relaxer?

Patricia

I haven't checked in a while. I was sick and then got a little lazy. Any how I DC'd on dry hair with Keraphix, Back to Basics Honey Hydrating, and Salon Care Honey Almond. I rinsed in the morning and then put FSP on my hair, rinsed, applied leave ins, and sealed.

I did have a lot of shedding but I guess it was okay since I haven't really combed through my hair in more than a week. The FSP really helped to make detangling a breeze.
I know I don't comb everyday either and It seems like a lot of hair but I look at it like you. 1 week worth of hair. What is FSP?

mkd

Hi, I know this thread is well established with a lot of pages. But is it too late for me join? I have discovered that my hair loves protein. I have been using an egg mixed with conditioner once a week and just purchased and used the aphogee 2 min for the first time this week. I have also been using the aphogee leave in and green tea spray after co washing.

Patricia

Hi, I know this thread is well established with a lot of pages. But is it too late for me join? I have discovered that my hair loves protein. I have been using an egg mixed with conditioner once a week and just purchased and used the aphogee 2 min for the first time this week. I have also been using the aphogee leave in and green tea spray after co washing.
Yes you can join! Welcome to the challenge. Glad to hear you discovered your hair loves protein. You have good products. Check in on wash days and rate your hair and the products you used. We all here have common goals to grow long and strong hair. Any questions we here to help find answers

Kellum

I know I don't comb everyday either and It seems like a lot of hair but I look at it like you. 1 week worth of hair. What is FSP?

FSP is French Stabilizer Plus. I use it during relaxing after I rinse out the reconstructor, and before I neturalize.
I have been using it kind of like Porisity control. I use it after I DC and then rinse. My hair feels great.

Vonnieluvs08

Just checking in. I have been trying homemade protein treatments with variable success. Mostly I don't like how thin nd runny they have been. My hair definitely appreciates me applying them despite the mess so I continue to do it. Tomorrow I'm going to do a yogurt, honey, egg, amino acids treatment or a yogurt, baking soda, amino acids treatment. Depends on how things start looking as I get the mixing. Once I use up my free yoghurt (I got it from a health food store since it expired) I'll start using my Joico K-pak again or mixing other protein treatments with my DC.

I tried the Shescentit Fortifying Mask the other day and I like it but didn't realize it was balanced and didn't require a moisture DC after. I liked it but prefer pure protein treatments that I can follow up with a moisture DC. Since my hair needs a little extra protein from time to time.

Solitude

As much as I love protein, I think I've been overdoing it. I have had to flat iron a couple of times, so I was using Aphogee moisture shampoo, the 2-min, and the pro vitamin leave-in. Basically, I am traveling so I didn't have all of my products with me. Well, not following with a moisturizing DC and a good leave-in like I usually do, together with being in a dry climate, my hair is very dry. Even moisturizing wasn't helping. I realized I cannot skip my moisture on wash day.

I'm going to clarify (for the first time!) & do a good DC steam treatment, and follow with LTR leave-in & see how that goes! I'm also going to lay off the heat for the summer.

Remember, ladies! Balance, balance, balance!

Status
Not open for further replies.