~~~Relaxed Bunning Thread~~~

sunnieb

So I tried to do a banana clip bun this morning and that didn't work out. Decided to do a "twirl and pin" bun to at least get a different looking bun.....

Fail! :lol: The bun looks exactly like my daily bun! Oh well, I'll try something else tomorrow. :ohwell:

ForumRunner_20131114_082648.jpg

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

GettingKinky

Still bunning, but dreaming of wearing a half up half down style. But that would require me to stop being lazy and braid my hair at night.

Attachments

• image-4154755237.jpg
    image-4154755237.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 37

koolkittychick

Sigh. You ladies have such thick, gorgeous hair that can make such fat, juicy buns. My hair is so thin and fine that even though I am almost MBL, the buns I end up making always look anemic and tiny. They look a little better when I use ponytail holders to help make the bun (usually I just pull back the hair, twist up and around and pin it), but even then they look nothing like the glorious buns I see here, and it's not worth the hair that gets caught in the elastic and breaks off. :ohwell:

At any rate, I just wanted to say I love checking out this thread and seeing the lovely buns on display. :yep:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
koolkittychick, fake it until you make it. 1) Fan the bun looser rather than tighter for a thicker appearance. 2) Using banana clips vs. pony holders gives a thicker appearance. 3) Fan the hair vs. twist it for a thicker appearance. 4) Use a cut up stocking vs. a pony holder if you must use a pony-like holder. 5) Moisten the cut up stocking with your favorite conditioner or leave in to keep the hair moist while it's in the pony / bun.

MzOptimistic

Sooo, I'm back in here stalking the lovely buns:lachen: I have been dry bunning for about two weeks and I make sure my ends as well as my hair as a whole is oiled and very moisturized and honestly I'm loving the look of a dry bun than having my ends baggied covered with bun snoods or stockings. I look more professional with the dry bun so I'm going to continue. Oh, I'm loving yall's buns btw! You guys are what inspired this long time baggied end chick to dry bun. If, yall can do it and you all's hair is still growing. I'm motivated to continue. Does, anyone know where you can get cute accessories from?

Last edited:

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness

divachyk

all your buns are gorgeous, so I got questions!

How long do you stretch your relaxers and are still able to get a nice, neat bun at the roots? (Im exactly 10 months post today.)

do you use gel?

How often do you take it down to M&S?

What are your products?

Im sure these questions have been asked of you before, so I dont mind being directed to thst post!

divachyk

Great questions!! Seems like this is a perfect setup for a blog post. I'll be back to answer a little later as I'm about to sign off and head out the door. :yep: Thanks for the love! :blowkiss:

PlainJane

Where do you ladies purchase the "silk hair ties" you're using? I have been doing my buns by twisting them into a bun and using a hair pin to secure it, but my supervisor has been complaining about that method so now I need to change it up. I can't use regular hair ties AT ALL because that caused a major setback about a year ago so I'm thinking silk ones are my only option.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Where do you ladies purchase the "silk hair ties" you're using? I have been doing my buns by twisting them into a bun and using a hair pin to secure it, but my supervisor has been complaining about that method so now I need to change it up. I can't use regular hair ties AT ALL because that caused a major setback about a year ago so I'm thinking silk ones are my only option.

I bought mine from somewhere in the city. I have a few that I'm selling in hair product exchange because I don't need them all. Just wanted variety but wholesalers make that hard.

So far, I like them, they are just tighter than regular scrunchies.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

divachyk

HappyAtLast,

10 months post? :thud: I can barely get to 3 months! I normally stretch to 10 weeks. I've gone longer (16 weeks) but it just leads to breakage upon breakage no matter how gentle I am with my hair.

I tried using gel but really don't like or prefer it. I love Bee Mine Curly Butter or HairVeda Whipped Gelly for my edges.

I take down daily to M&S unless I'm on vacation or relaxer stretching. In those times, I'll keep the bun in for 2-3 days before taking it down. On the days I don't take down, I spritz my hair with diluted conditioner (Aubrey Organics White Camellia) or Bee Mine Juicy and baggy for a few hours to ensure the hair is receiving proper hydration. After I remove the baggy, I will put a drop of oil on my hands, rub them together and pat my hair to seal in the moisture with being extra careful not to mess up or make the style frizzy.

I love a variety of prods that is detailed here. However, I typically use/rotate the following: Aubrey Organics White Camellia (moisturizer), avocado oil (seal), HairVeda Amala Cream Rinse (co-cleanse), HairVeda Amala Deep (clarify), Bee Mine Botanicals (moisturizing shampoo), Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm (DC), Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose (DC) and/or HairVeda SitriNillah (DC).

gemruby41

My bun today.

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
HappyAtLast,

10 months post? :thud: I can barely get to 3 months! I normally stretch to 10 weeks. I've gone longer (16 weeks) but it just leads to breakage upon breakage no matter how gentle I am with my hair.

I tried using gel but really don't like or prefer it. I love Bee Mine Curly Butter or HairVeda Whipped Gelly for my edges.

I take down daily to M&S unless I'm on vacation or relaxer stretching. In those times, I'll keep the bun in for 2-3 days before taking it down. On the days I don't take down, I spritz my hair with diluted conditioner (Aubrey Organics White Camellia) or Bee Mine Juicy and baggy for a few hours to ensure the hair is receiving proper hydration. After I remove the baggy, I will put a drop of oil on my hands, rub them together and pat my hair to seal in the moisture with being extra careful not to mess up or make the style frizzy.

I love a variety of prods that is detailed here. However, I typically use/rotate the following: Aubrey Organics White Camellia (moisturizer), avocado oil (seal), HairVeda Amala Cream Rinse (co-cleanse), HairVeda Amala Deep (clarify), Bee Mine Botanicals (moisturizing shampoo), Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm (DC), Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose (DC) and/or HairVeda SitriNillah (DC).

divachyk Thanks for this info! I'm transitioning and so far so good! I love low manipulation styles and I think buns will be great for me. I attempted one today and boy let me tell you, that was a huge bun! My natural hair is THICK and full and doesn't want to fully cooperate with laying down.

So I have all this thick natural hair attached to my relaxed BSL ends. Ugh it was a job this morning! So to make it easier, I think I'll be putting my hair in individual braids or twists tonight and then making my buns with that.

sunnieb

PlainJane here's where I buy mine: http://www.pennysboutique.com/

Great service and fast shipping. In fact, it's time for me to order a few more since I'll be bunning so much.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Flat ironed and bunning

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-2004307033.jpg
    image-2004307033.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1491149050.jpg
    image-1491149050.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 79
  • image-2550268207.jpg
    image-2550268207.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 74

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly

Saludable84 I tried to recreate your bun, and I almost got it, but not quite.

How'd you do it?

According to DH, I have spent so long getting it right that it takes me less than a few minutes now smh.

The best I can tell after I put it in a pony, I split it a little in the middle and as I pull the hair circular, I keep finger combing it circular until I get it fully around. Last, the really trick is to not make it tight, but pull the hair enough that you don't get that broken bun look. My buns just look big; its all for show.

GettingKinky

What do you all do to make your buns look interesting from the front? I love the way my buns look from the back, but whenever I see a picture of myself wearing a bun, I look so plain. I could do a super high bun, but that doesn't seem right for work.

sunnieb

What do you all do to make your buns look interesting from the front? I love the way my buns look from the back, but whenever I see a picture of myself wearing a bun, I look so plain. I could do a super high bun, but that doesn't seem right for work.

GettingKinky I've worked for a VP and all of those other uppity folk in our company and rocked a high bun like a bunnin' bawse! :lol:

I actually get more compliments on my buns when I wear them high. I think it's the way you can see it from all angles.

When I wear a low bun, I may pull a few strands loose in the front to soften the look, but not always.

A big, juicy bun makes up for the pull back effect in the front. :yep: