Relaxed Hair Thread

Evolving78

Does anyone get breakage, like 5 or so strands? My hair is bone straight, so I know it's inevitable that I'm gonna get some sort of breakage. I just know I won't be going this route anymore. My hair is already fine. Still trying to decide on what lye relaxer system I'm going with next. I know using that no lye coarse strength twice really was a doozy on my hair, but I'm retaining, hair looks good and no severe breakage.

Does the Olaplex stand alone treatment help? Does it act like a protein? I don't want anything that acts like protein that will make my hair hard, dry, and stiff.

I rinsed out my hair, and used Design Essentials Silk Essentials serum. I detangled my hair. I didn't use a leave-in again.

MzSwift

Put my hair back into cornrows on Wednesday, I'm so over loose hair. I also think I'm going to texlax sometime next month. I'm probably going back to an April, August, December schedule. Working out is making a difference in my new growth.

I also ordered more ayurvedic (is that a word?) oils. Didn't feel like making my own. Trying to decide if I want to put in these twist extensions. I enjoy water on my scalp everyday and I'm not sure I can do that while in the extensions.

MzSwift

Does anyone get breakage, like 5 or so strands? My hair is bone straight, so I know it's inevitable that I'm gonna get some sort of breakage. I just know I won't be going this route anymore. My hair is already fine. Still trying to decide on what lye relaxer system I'm going with next. I know using that no lye coarse strength twice really was a doozy on my hair, but I'm retaining, hair looks good and no severe breakage.

Does the Olaplex stand alone treatment help? Does it act like a protein? I don't want anything that acts like protein that will make my hair hard, dry, and stiff.

I rinsed out my hair, and used Design Essentials Silk Essentials serum. I detangled my hair. I didn't use a leave-in again.

I get more breakage if I overmanipulate my hair when I have too much new growth. Good luck finding a system that works for you.

I made the mistake of correcting a texlax that wasn't straight enough and I've been gradually cutting of these stick straight ends ever since. I learned the hard way, my fine strands need some textures. I'm not going back natural so slightly relaxing my texture is a happy medium for me.

Are you using any protein at all?

Evolving78

I get more breakage if I overmanipulate my hair when I have too much new growth. Good luck finding a system that works for you.

I made the mistake of correcting a texlax that wasn't straight enough and I've been gradually cutting of these stick straight ends ever since. I learned the hard way, my fine strands need some textures. I'm not going back natural so slightly relaxing my texture is a happy medium for me.

Are you using any protein at all?
I used the aphogee hard one a few weeks ago, then accidently used a light protein.

I get slight breakage when I'm detangling wet hair, or I snag my hair on something.

The serum I used today has protein in it. I'm just mindful of not using a shampoo, conditioner, leave-in, styler, moisturizer, etc with protein in it. All of that adds up. My hair is low porosity, but my ends are high due to bleaching, coloring, and relaxing.

More texture leaves me with more knots and tangles.. there is no happy medium. My hair likes to coil up.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.

I think I only got more breakage than usual because I needed to trim my ends badly. I use a mild relaxer but I think since they've changed the formula it's gotten my hair even straighter.

I thought I posted this a while ago

LushLox

I air dried again yesterday and set my hair on a few flexi rods. I'm going to try and only air dry between now and my next touch up and minimise the manipulation. I'm quite pleased with my attempt last night my hair doesn't look and feel all crinkly and frizzy like on previous attempts. Would upload a pic but it's still not working.

Royalq

Do you guys think adding oil to a lye relaxer will cut down on the burning? I'm already trying to do research for my next touch up. My issue was that the lye burned too quickly which made me have to rinse out too soon so my roots are more textured than I would like for them to be.

Evolving78

Do you guys think adding oil to a lye relaxer will cut down on the burning? I'm already trying to do research for my next touch up. My issue was that the lye burned too quickly which made me have to rinse out too soon so my roots are more textured than I would like for them to be.
I think it would just dilute and cut down the process/break down. Do you base your scalp? I base my entire scalp with petroleum jelly all over, a base that may come with the relaxer.

MzSwift

@Royalq

IA w @shortdub78 , cutting the relaxer may just cut the process but still burn you. I cut my relaxers and still get some burns every now and then.

I would suggest a good protective base for your scalp. I do both Blue Magic Grease and Vaseline. I used to base my scalp with oil - I've tried EVOO, Castor, Coconut, Grapeseed- and I found they weren't as effective. So I don't use them both at the same time. I primarily use the grease but if I'm worried about my scalp more than usual, I'll use Vaseline instead.

Maybe you could base a day or two ahead with the grease and then use a thin layer of Vaseline the day of? GL!

Last edited:

MzSwift

Lawd, why did I just watch a weave video and now I'm geeked to put in a sew in!! :grin:

I haven't done a weave since my pre-hairboard days and they were glue ins, don't judge me. Lol. I've been dreading putting in these twist extensions because they take me at least 25 hrs to install and that's WITHOUT a baby!

Thanks to these videos, Imma be rocking weaves this fall and winter and DH bet not say a word! I used to think sew ins were so intricate and time consuming. But between DH's need to see me in long, loose hair and my need to PS, this might be the compromise. Time to go weave shopping. Gonna find some cheap kinky straight to practice with... *moonwalks outta thread*

Britt

I'm getting some breakage due to my over processing, my hair B O N E straight, like limp straight - like freaking S T R A I G H T and it feels fine and is less dense due a previous set back. Anyway, I have to thank Nexxus Emergencee for getting my hair right. I will venture to say I like it far better than my DRC. I used the DRC yesterday to make a fair assessment and I like the Emergencee way better. It makes my hair just feel different. I don't know of another product that performs the same for me, other protein conditioners don't do it. When I use the Emergencee I poo, Emergencee with heat, light poo out and then follow up w/ a moisturizing conditioner. My hair is more pliable and strong. It just feels goodt! It's always made my hair feel good even my curls when natural. I also don't get protein overload from it at all. If time permits I will give Olaplex a try on my hair this weekend, I haven't used it since I relaxed. It's NOT like a protein conditioner at all, on my curls it made it silkier and easier to detangle. It felt more like a conditioner.

Britt

Lawd, why did I just watch a weave video and now I'm geeked to put in a sew in!! :grin:

I haven't done a weave since my pre-hairboard days and they were glue ins, don't judge me. Lol. I've been dreading putting in these twist extensions because they take me at least 25 hrs to install and that's WITHOUT a baby!

Thanks to these videos, Imma be rocking weaves this fall and winter and DH bet not say a word! I used to think sew ins were so intricate and time consuming. But between DH's need to see me in long, loose hair and my need to PS, this might be the compromise. Time to go weave shopping. Gonna find some cheap kinky straight to practice with... *moonwalks outta thread*
Ooooooh keep us posted! I'm going to get a wig made and I'm excited lol ! I need hair that looks 'styled' right now. I want a bob. If my hair weren't so fragile right now I'd probably do a sew in.

Royalq

@shortdub78 @MzSwift
I used alot of Vaseline on one quadrant of hair and the relaxer burned anyways. Then I used Vaseline and oil sheen on the other 3 quadrants and it burned anyways but the hair was underprocessed. Would grease be different from Vaseline?

@MzSwift did you used to have a YouTube channel? I vaguely remember a YouTube with your name doing hair videos...

MzSwift

@shortdub78 @MzSwift
I used alot of Vaseline on one quadrant of hair and the relaxer burned anyways. Then I used Vaseline and oil sheen on the other 3 quadrants and it burned anyways but the hair was underprocessed. Would grease be different from Vaseline?

@MzSwift did you used to have a YouTube channel? I vaguely remember a YouTube with your name doing hair videos...

That sucks. I'm not sure if the grease will help then. But it may be worth a shot. Can't be too safe and double basing might help if you do it once ahead of time and them again right before you apply.

Maybe you can think back to the days preceding the relaxer to see if something else could've caused your scalp to be irritated? Do you regularly oil your scalp? Use any products with sulfur? Did you wash too soon before? Maybe styled it a certain way or manipulated it. I've read some ladies prep their hair days in advance and don't touch it until it's time to apply.

No ma'am, I'm not brave enough to vlog. Lol. But I was very active over on another hairboard.

Evolving78

@shortdub78 @MzSwift

I would switch to sensitive scalp relaxers, or a different brand.

Royalq

That sucks. I'm not sure if the grease will help then. But it may be worth a shot. Can't be too safe and double basing might help if you do it once ahead of time and them again right before you apply.

Maybe you can think back to the days preceding the relaxer to see if something else could've caused your scalp to be irritated? Do you regularly oil your scalp? Use any products with sulfur? Did you wash too soon before? Maybe styled it a certain way or manipulated it. I've read some ladies prep their hair days in advance and don't touch it until it's time to apply.

No ma'am, I'm not brave enough to vlog. Lol. But I was very active over on another hairboard.

Hmm, now that you mention it my scalp may have been irritated. I had mini twists in my natural hair and I removed and detangled the day before I relaxed. The pulling may have made my scalp more irritated...

MzSwift

Hmm, now that you mention it my scalp may have been irritated. I had mini twists in my natural hair and I removed and detangled the day before I relaxed. The pulling may have made my scalp more irritated...

Oh yes, girl, that would do it! If you have to manipulate your hair, maybe wait a few days to a week before you relax.

Did you do an ACV rinse to help with scabs? If not, maybe you can try that. I didn't like doing them as a natural but I do one during my texlax process. ACV helps soothe those burns and it also helps in my neutralizing process.

Aside from that, I hope you're enjoying your hair! I loved my virgin texlax because I could finally do WNGs. My natural texture wasn't having that without SSKs.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I'll be 4 weeks post tomorrow. The underprocessed part makes it feels like longer than that :lachen:

I gave up spraying both X21 spray and APB leave in. Think that was too much. I use the APB leave in, X21 cream, and oil. Currently I'm taking a week break from the X21. I'm just using the APB leave in Spray and Cupachu moisturizer.

simplyconfident

I'll be 4 weeks post tomorrow. The underprocessed part makes it feels like longer than that :lachen:

I gave up spraying both X21 spray and APB leave in. Think that was too much. I use the APB leave in, X21 cream, and oil. Currently I'm taking a week break from the X21. I'm just using the APB leave in Spray and Cupachu moisturizer.

Why did you give it up? I'm about to start next week.

Evolving78

Just rinsed the conditioner out of my head from last night. I didn't care for today's detangling session. I really need a shower head filter..
I know gotta use my Silicon mix Bambu for the rest of this stretch and I need to stick to my 2-3 a week wash day and make sure I rinse the conditioner out the same day!
I'm air drying my hair right now and will be clipping it up, and putting my head wrap on.

Evolving78

I don't know what relaxer to get and I'm money challenged right now! lol ORS lye regular leaves me dry and under-processed, Motions burns the heck out of me. My stylist. Back 10-14 years ago used to use Designer's Touch. I may try that, or the Silk Elements regular. I don't want nothing with a bunch of additives. Those ingredients always leaves hair underprocessed. My hair isn't coarse, but it takes a lot to loosen, or uncoil my hair. That's why I can't go too long, since my hair wants to coil up like a snake. That causes breakage. That's why I gotta use high heat. Plus I'm low porosity so it takes a lot of something to penetrate. I don't have thick strands, but I got high density.

MzSwift

Y'all I keep wanting to try the WNG scrunch on my longer hair. It's the style I wore when my hair was shorter. But I think I want to continue growing out my bone straight ends some more before I rock that style. I plan to be full WL next summer and I think it'll look great then. :grin:

In the meantime, I think I've found a wig I will rock when I leave the house. I'm in love! It's shaped like my natural hair (though not the same texture) so I feel good rocking it. I'm gonna alternate rocking wigs with rocking twist extensions until November. Then I'm going to relax and rock my hair for the holidays.

I think I'll go back into PSing after the new year until May when I'll texlax again. May is mine and DH's birth month, our wedding anniversary and then there's Mother's Day and Memorial Day. Not to mention, it's when the weather tends to be decent.

So here's my new wig :cupidarrow::

View media item 129323View media item 129321View media item 129319