Relaxed Hair Thread

MariposaSexyGirl

Re: Relaxed Hair THREAD!!

MariposaSexyGirl how do you typically dry your hair? You have a lot of hair and I see you wash once or twice a week. I usually like to do a mid week wash but I go under the dryer for a good 30 minutes just so that my hair isn't sopping wet in the morning.

Brittster
I usually rollerset my hair if I'm wearing it down. I have to sit under the dryer for like an hour and thirty minutes for it to dry. So I usually do this at night or in the early morning. If I'm just washing and not wearing it down, I either do two Pocahontas braids(then put it into a ponytail the next day) or bun it with a little conditioner and oil.:yep:

SuchMagnificent

Taking a Break from Posting
How are all my relaxed ladies doing this morning?

Hey!! Im doing great this morning..my hair is really thriving and evening out since that tragedy of a hair "cut" in December..Im sitting under my struggling dryer trying to deep condition with heat...today I will lay my beloved dryer to rest..she has been with me for about 10 years..headed to sally's with my $10 off coupon to purchase a new one and whatever else I set my sights on..

Sent from my Sprint HTC Evo using Long Hair Care Forum App

MsKikiStar

good evening ladies! I haven't been in this thread since page 6 :blush:. it's to see this thread is still alive. :yep:

I'll be 11 weeks post this coming Monday. beyond excited to relax on week 12!! normally I'd have breakage issues around this time but KeraCare Humecto has truly saved my hair. I've also been wearing plastic gloves while washing my hair...just because lol.

Last edited:

Kimiche

Relaxed and checking in. I've been having a lot of trouble finding a daily moisturizer that doesn't dry my hair out. If they have cones, then they end up drying my hair out. I've even tried many of the natural products. I feel like I've tried them all, but my hair is still dry. I even tried Poriosity Control. *sigh* Anymore recommendations ladies?

bravenewgirl87

Hey ladies.
I'm scurrier than a groundhog bc my friend (who is in beauty school) is doing my relaxer this friday. Pray for meeeeeeee! I haven't had a touch-up since late January.

Positive note: at least he's using Mizani.:ohwell:

afrochique

Relaxed and checking in. I've been having a lot of trouble finding a daily moisturizer that doesn't dry my hair out. If they have cones, then they end up drying my hair out. I've even tried many of the natural products. I feel like I've tried them all, but my hair is still dry. I even tried Poriosity Control. *sigh* Anymore recommendations ladies?
Have you tried SCurl? I had great results with it and max retention. Or you might want to try baggying.
HTH

Sexyred

Newly relaxed head checking in after being natural for 4years. I relaxed on Saturday with Alter Ego Linange relaxer (best :yep:relaxer ever for fine/thin hair) and I am in love with my hair once again. Hoping to stretch between 12 to 16 weeks. Here is a link to my post about my first relaxer experience in years. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=542639

Last edited:

AlliCat

Hey relaxed checking in!

Yesterday I went to a new BSS (it's huge) and somehow held my composure. Just got a relaxer kit and my flexi-rods. The relaxer I got is my staple Optimum Salon Collection No-Lye Regular...I swear this relaxer is underrated it works really nicely for me. I'm 10 weeks post and I have quite a bit of new growth so i think I'll relax soon. The relaxer is sitting in my room saying "use me"!

I wanted to stretch to 12 weeks at least, but my hair is getting tangled and not co-operating :blush:

Jharianna

I don't know if she has cones in it or not, but right now, I'm loving Komaza care from komazahaircare.com. For the first time in uh....ever my hair is not dry and twiggy looking. And I don't even grease my scalp anymore! Check it out.

Kimiche

Have you tried SCurl? I had great results with it and max retention. Or you might want to try baggying.
HTH

Yeah it worked for me back in the day, but lately it has made my hair dry because of the glycerin. :sad:

Mische

Just checking in, great thread!
Have you tried Darcy's Coconut Lemongrass transitioning creme? This stuff is seriously great. It leaves my hair moisturized all day without feeling weighed down at all. I honestly don't even feel the need to moisturize daily since this became my staple, but I do it anyway because it gives me an excuse to be up in my hair. :lol:

Kimiche

Just checking in, great thread!

Have you tried Darcy's Coconut Lemongrass transitioning creme? This stuff is seriously great. It leaves my hair moisturized all day without feeling weighed down at all. I honestly don't even feel the need to moisturize daily since this became my staple, but I do it anyway because it gives me an excuse to be up in my hair. :lol:

I think I'll give this a try, thanks for recommending it. :yep:

AlliCat

Is is okay to relax hair that's been previously oiled with Vatika Oil? I've been sealing with this product for the last 3 days and I plan to relax this week.

* (vatika oil is basically coconut oil + lemon + henna)

theneolution

Hi ladies!

Today was my relaxer day -- I was once APL, but a set back including self-relaxing gone wrong and major break-up/school stress that caused me to have to chop my hair off up to approximately shoulder length. :(
Ever since the haircut, I`ve been making sure to keep my hair washed and conditioned in between relaxers, but my hair thinned out really bad in the back of my head from shedding.
My hairdresser rags on me each time when I attempt to stretch out my relaxer times, and today was the end of my 9 week stretch, and the back of my hair was apparently really badly damaged still, so she cut some off. She's encouraging me to come in every 4 weeks for relaxers, but I really don't think relaxing that often is necessary.
Any opinions or tips? What could I have done wrong during that stretch? Or could it have been damage left over from my set back? The front of my hair looks perfectly fine!

Thank you!

EDIT: She also remarked that because I waited so long to relax, my hair thinned out in the back.

MzRhonda

I relax often with no problems....when I would try and stretch my hair would break and become damaged......it is healthier (for me) when I relax more often...now with short short hair I relax about every 3 weeks. I wrap and air dry.

Hi ladies!

Today was my relaxer day -- I was once APL, but a set back including self-relaxing gone wrong and major break-up/school stress that caused me to have to chop my hair off up to approximately shoulder length. :(
Ever since the haircut, I`ve been making sure to keep my hair washed and conditioned in between relaxers, but my hair thinned out really bad in the back of my head from shedding.
My hairdresser rags on me each time when I attempt to stretch out my relaxer times, and today was the end of my 9 week stretch, and the back of my hair was apparently really badly damaged still, so she cut some off. She's encouraging me to come in every 4 weeks for relaxers, but I really don't think relaxing that often is necessary.
Any opinions or tips? What could I have done wrong during that stretch? Or could it have been damage left over from my set back? The front of my hair looks perfectly fine!

Thank you!

EDIT: She also remarked that because I waited so long to relax, my hair thinned out in the back.

MzRhonda

I typically wash and DC every week and the only heat my hair gets is from me roller wrapping and sitting under my hooded dryer. I've been rollerwrapping my hair for a long time and my hair was at it's longest (APL) in 2007, I was also pregnant then, and after I had my son I experienced a lot of shedding and breakage. Now my hair is SL and I'm desperately :drowning:trying to get back to APL by August 2011.

Current Regimen:
Wash with Tui Herbal Shampoo (Carol's Daughter)
ACV Rinse
DC w/ Tui Smoothie and Olive Oil's Replenishing Pak for 20 minutes
ACV Rinse
Tui Leave in Conditioner
Raw Shea Butter Oil
Argan Oil

The Shea and Argan Oil leaves my hair feeling extra soft, then I apply Nairobi Foam lotion and set my hair on rollers. After I take the rollers out I wrap my hair and then wrap it with saran wrap and sit under the dryer for another 20 minutes. The saran wrap makes my hair silky and this lasts for a week. I want to try doing this same technique but instead of wearing it down bun it after curls have been combed through.

I'll be back later to post some pics.

I picked up some Argan Oil from Sallys yesterday....it smells great and makes my hair and skin feel so soft.

I just relaxed and colored and before putting wrapping foam on my hair I put the Argan Oil on....I'll see the results in the morning since I air dry.

Solitude

Hi ladies!

Thank you!

I think 4 weeks is too soon. You barely have any new growth. Maybe 6 to 8?

Is there something else that might be causing breakage like heat usage?

Softerlove

Hi!

I'm relaxed, between SL and APL (my right is longer) and im juat checking in. Im 6 weeks into a 10 week stretch and im doing good, waged my own hair yesterday worth okay, results. I'm looking for a great product to soften my NG, although lately its been really soft (approx 1 inch). Gonna try the lemon grass leave in.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G

mikimix

I'm relaxed, and have been for about 6 years now.
I don't know what type I am lol
But I'm just past shoulder length, about collarbone length
My long term goal is waist length, but my short term goal is APL by the end of the year

I wash once a week and deep condition it every week with a protein treatment (Motions CPR)and then a moisturising treatment (silk elements).
Then I put leave in conditioner, heat protector (Aphogee) and some oil moisturiser (Motions) before I blowdry and flatiron it. But from now on, I'm going to do braid/twist outs and rollersets so my hair doesn't get so much heat.

As for vitamins, I don't take any but I just ordered the Nioxin ones so let's hope that it works! lol

AlliCat

Just checking in...I started taking some vitamins (garlic, biotin, multi) so hopefully this helps avoid shedding and increase growth/thickness. I will be 4 weeks post on thursday so I'm still early in my stretch. I'll be wearing my hair in cornrows for another week.

TeeSGee

I'm relaxed BSL as of May 2011..started at NL Sept 2009.. Long term goal is MBL.. so I'm trying hard to get there by Dec '11. currently doing flexirods on flat ironed hair.. my hair retain length better when straight..

Britt

Any recommendations for a good co-washing conditioner that's silicone-free?

AlliCat... try Tresemme Naturals, it's very moisturizing and smells good. Also, Elucence is a really good too, and Giovanni 50/50 moisturizing conditioner.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL

@AlliCat... try Tresemme Naturals, it's very moisturizing and smells good. Also, Elucence is a really good too, and Giovanni 50/50 moisturizing conditioner.

This is not -cone free:
Water (Aqua) , Cetyl Alcohol , Quaternium-18 , Steramidopropyl Dimethylamine , Stearyl Alcohol , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Dimethicone , Fragrance (Parfum) , Glyceryl Stearate , Citric Acid , Quaternium-80 , Propylene Glycol , DMDM Hydantoin , Glycerin , PVP , Disodium PEG-12 Dimethicone Sulfosuccinate , Steareth-21 , Disodium EDTA , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Limonene , Oleamine Oxide , Amyl Cinnamal , Linalool , Geraniol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Polysorbate 20 , Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Hydrolyzed Keratin , Tocopheryl Acetate , Panthenol , Oenothera Biennis Root Extract (Evening Primrose) , Nasturtium Officinale Flower , Leaf Extract , Medicago Sativa Extract (Alfalfa) , Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract , Ascorbic Acid , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract , Actinida Chinensis Fruit Extract (Kiwi) , Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Fruit Extract (Sweet Almond) , Rubus Idaeus Fruit Extract (Raspberry) , Taraxacum Officinale Rhizome , Root Extract , Urtica Dioica Extract (Nettle) , Citrus Aurantuim Dulcis Peel Extract (Orange) , Citrus Medica Limonium Peel Extract (Lemon) , Rosa Canina Fruit Extract , Niacinamide , Biotin

I'm going to try this sincd the -cones are not within the 1st 5 ingred.

blessedandlucky

HELP! Any recommendations for a good drugstore brand hair color? I know, I know.. I had highlights thAt have turned orange and brassy. With my work, I can't let this stand and can't afford to have them professionally done like I usually do (unexpected car issues + other expenses). I know it's not ideal. I would really appreciate any feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF